• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC 8X/S |OT| Now 20 Pennies Lighter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cube444

HTC_Multi_Phones_nt_120918_wg.jpg

htc8xpennies.jpg

NWBO3.jpg

QmE0G.jpg

k96M6.jpg

2NgDc.jpg

SPECS:

HTC 8X:

Colours: red, yellow, black, blue (rumored grey in Europe)
Display: 4.3-inch Super LCD 2, Gorilla Glass, 1280x720, 342 ppi
CPU: Qualcomm S4 1.5 GHz dual-core
GPU: Adreno 225
Memory: 16 GB, RAM 1 GB
Carriers: AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon
Network: GSM/ GPRS/ EDGE/ CDMA/ HSPA/ WCDMA/ LTE
Wireless: Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, Wi-Fi a/b/g/n, 2.4 & 5 GHz
Ports: 3.5mm audio, microUSB
Cameras: Front- 2.1 MP, f/2.0 aperture, ultra-wide angle, 1080p recording; Rear- 8 MP, f/2.0 aperture, 28mm lens
Video: 1080p @ 30 fps
Audio: Beats Audio
Price:$99/$199
Battery: 1,800 Ah, embedded
Dimensions: 132.35 x 66.2 x 10.12mm, 130 grams; 5.21 x 2.6 x 0.39 inches, 4.58 ounces
SIM: Micro - Sim
LTE, NFC: Yes

HTC 8S:

Colors: Domino, Fiesta Red, Atlantic Blue, High-Rise Gray
Display: 4.0-inch S-LCD capacitive touch, 480x800 pixels, 233 ppi
CPU: Dual-core 1 GHz Krait
Memory: 4GB, 512 MB RAM
Carriers: AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon
Network: GSM/ GPRS/ EDGE/ HSDPA
Wireless: Bluetooth v3.1 with A2DP, EDR, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
Ports: 3.5 mm audio, microUSB v2.0
Cameras: 5 MP, 2592х1944 pixels, autofocus, LED flash
Video: 720p @ 30 fps
Audio: Beats Audio
Price: ?
Battery: Li-Po 1700 mAh
Dimensions: 120.5 x 63 x 10.3 mm, 113 grams; 4.74 x 2.48 x 0.41 inches, 3.99 ounces
SIM: Micro-Sim

REVIEWS:

Tech Radar
Engadget
PC Mag
Gizmodo
Cnet

AT&T will sell the 8GB HTC 8X for $99 and the 16GB model for $199 on a 2 year contract.

Milchjon

ioti?

So the Lumia 920 amd 820 shits all over these?

They're different enough. If weight/thickness is a dealbreaker for you, these might fit you better.

Awful phone from an awful company. Lumia 920 is the correct choice for WP8.

All the reviews I've read so far have been pretty positive.

Honestly, HTC and Nokia have to be careful they don't get caught up with in-fighting when they should concentrate on improving the overall situation of WP8. Taking digs at each other isn't helping either of them.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Honestly, HTC and Nokia have to be careful they don't get caught up with in-fighting when they should concentrate on improving the overall situation of WP8. Taking digs at each other isn't helping either of them.

Too many bad experiences with HTC for me. You are right about the in-fighting thing, though.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Going to have a tough choice between this and the 920. My wife would probably prefer me getting the 920 since I could get a workout using it ;)

That's a lot easier of a position to hold for HTC than Nokia, seeing as HTC just blatantly copied Nokia.

Milchjon

Why does every single Windows phone look the same?

They don't?

The Lumia line has its distinct, and frankly refreshing design. The HTC phones are colorful, too, but they're different enough. All other Windows Phone looks closer to your run of the mill grey scale slab.

Windows Phones are a niche product at this point, yet you'll find more hardware variety than in any other ecosystem.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
Looks like a great phone. I got the 920 because of its camera, but I would have been very happy with an 8X as well.

Cipherr

They took Nokias Color schemes and outdid them. The colors on HTC's phones are much more rich and good looking. Sooooo good. That dark blue+Light blue highlighter one is fucking boss with the matching tiles on the homescreen. Jesus it looks so good.

Please. These guys dont care about the OS their phones are running outside of what good it can bring them. Let the gritty competition live on.

trinest

Watching videos and hands on, these devices look better when in hand then renders, but still rather the Lumia design. Imo, the 8S has the better design of the two, and its a shame its the low end version.

Milchjon

They took Nokias Color schemes and outdid them. The colors on HTC's phones are much more rich and good looking. Sooooo good.

The colors are nice. The shape is... well, I'm not sure I'd call it a "design". The 8X has zero character in my eyes. The 8S is ok, though.

Please. These guys dont care about the OS their phones are running outside of what good it can bring them. Let the gritty competition live on.

It can't bring them much good when the ecosystem doesn't mature. They shouldn't aim at each other when they're sitting in the sam boat.

kharma45

Hope some 8S reviews come out soon, pretty good price over here in the UK for it, or at least it was until the Nexus 4 came in at the exact same price.

frontieruk

Hope some 8S reviews come out soon, pretty good price over here in the UK for it, or at least it was until the Nexus 4 came in at the exact same price.

still better than the price of a Lumia 920, once you take in to account either a new contract or having to run it on PAYG along side you main contract, Silly ass choice partnering with EE...

My 8x has got a lot of attention at work, perhaps people will finally notice WinPhone

kharma45

still better than the price of a Lumia 920, once you take in to account either a new contract or having to run it on PAYG along side you main contract, Silly ass choice partnering with EE...

My 8x has got a lot of attention at work, perhaps people will finally notice WinPhone

Yeah HTC seem to have price nailed for this wave of hardware, both the 820 and 920 are overpriced, and for that reason that's why I can see HTC leading sales for WP now.

frontieruk

Yeah HTC seem to have price nailed for this wave of hardware, both the 820 and 920 are overpriced, and for that reason that's why I can see HTC leading sales for WP now.

I see Europe them being the lead, but in the US where Nokia is really trying (it kinda feels like in Euroland Nokia thought we own this) they'll lead, all that mattes is how well they both sell overall as it's a big gamble by HTC putting such sexy hardware on a niche platform.

Cj70

Picked up a blue 8x from phones4u for £379 at the weekend to replace my Omnia 7.

Loving it so far. Such a nice phone and it feels fantastic to hold.

cube444

Picked up a blue 8x from phones4u for £379 at the weekend to replace my Omnia 7.

Loving it so far. Such a nice phone and it feels fantastic to hold.

Congrats. Let us know your impressions and how the battery life is.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
im getting a day out of mine, which involves streaming music/video for 3 hours a day due to my commute, im under no illusion it'll stay that way.

I think that's fine considering your streaming music and video. As long as I get a day with moderate to heavy use, that's fine.

frontieruk

Oh im not complaining just noting that with that sort of use the battery will be needing a midday topup about 6months in which is basically where i got to with my Titan.

have to say i really am enjoying my 8x though, just so slick.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Oh im not complaining just noting that with that sort of use the battery will be needing a midday topup about 6months in which is basically where i got to with my Titan.

have to say i really am enjoying my 8x though, just so slick.

Yeah, I was just commenting. Battery life is definitely where I would like to see more strides made with smartphones.

xxczx

Buying one when I get paid this month, £380 is a great price considering what Nokia are charging for the 920 (no care for 4G tbh)

Right now I have the One X (on contract), need a little bit of change so this will be my first Windows Phone. Jumping from 32GB to 16GB will burn but I might take advantage of the Xbox Music Pass thing and go cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom