• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC 8X/S |OT| Now 20 Pennies Lighter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
They took Nokias Color schemes and outdid them.

NpGHy.jpg

Bow to your master and abjure of your false idols.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still back and forth between this and the 920. Think it will go down to the wire between which I choose.

size+colour Vs. Superior camera+Nokia apps+32GB

Rogers only having the 920 in black is making it difficult

frontieruk

Detail? How's the battery life?

well today's been a light day usage for me, took it off charge at 9am, done some light browsing, made a couple of quick calls, sent a lot of texts, posted to facebook, battery is now at 53% at 19:53 can't complain.

Gav

Detail? How's the battery life?

Battery life seems pretty good. Work days, the phone is off charge at 7am, and i dont put it back on till about 10pm - in that time i make calls, do a little browsing, some texts, the odd game of Wordament or something and maybe the odd photo. Never had to worry about charging during the day.

Otherwise, the screen is utterly fantastic, the camera is great (i was using it for some surveying during the week at work), build quality is awesome and it feels really good to hold - the rubberised back and tapered edges make it probably the most comfortable phone i have owned.

I dont have any issues with any aspect of the hardware i dont think. Any niggles are software based (but i think they are just because its a new OS to me.)

cube444

Guys, I did the shift-backslash after I realized my error but the edit feature doesn't seem to save title changes. Maybe someone can PM a mod?

One thing that the HTC is not, would be ugly. It's a sleek and sexy phone. I dare anyone to actually hold the phone in their hand and then call it ugly.

Guys, I did the shift-backslash after I realized my error but the edit feature doesn't seem to save title changes. Maybe someone can PM a mod?

One thing that the HTC is not, would be ugly. It's a sleek and sexy phone. I dare anyone to actually hold the phone in their hand and then call it ugly.

Can you adjust the pictures in OT? It's really big and I have to scroll to the right to view on my desktop ... (may be simulating Windows Metro Experience ?)

Love the OT but there is so many Windows Phone threads .. hard to keep up.

zeeaykay

Looks like very little love for the 8X.

I'm hoping to pick one up this week. I think it looks slick and is supposed to perform incredibly well. I think the issue is most early adopters tend to go for the most technically advanced product if given a choice, and the Lumia has it beat with its screen and camera.

However, I think to the average consumer the 8X will be more appealing with its size and form factor. Almost all reviews that I've read are incredibly favorable, and only put slight it when compared to the Lumia 920 for not being as feature packed.

For a first time smart phone buyer, the 8X is everything that I'm looking for and more.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'm hoping to pick one up this week. I think it looks slick and is supposed to perform incredibly well. I think the issue is most early adopters tend to go for the most technically advanced product if given a choice, and the Lumia has it beat with its screen and camera.

However, I think to the average consumer the 8X will be more appealing with its size and form factor. Almost all reviews that I've read are incredibly favorable, and only put slight it when compared to the Lumia 920 for not being as feature packed.

For a first time smart phone buyer, the 8X is everything that I'm looking for and more.

Verizon doesn't even have Lumia 920. So this phone should do alright so long as WinPhone8 doesn't bomb.

cube444

Just got my 8X (black, cause I like boring). Pretty nice so far.

Nice to hear. Let us know about battery life, likes, dislikes etc.

I heard the screen is pretty sweet on it and I loved the feel of the phone (dummy version) in my hand when I had a chance to check it out this weekend.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Finally held an 8X and it felt amazing. If the 920 wasn't an option for me on my carrier I would definitely get an 8X. I'm still flip flopping a little between the two :(

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Nice to hear. Let us know about battery life, likes, dislikes etc.

Ok, so that probably isn't a good indication of how it will hold up under heavier use. Since I'm still waiting for my service to be ported over, I haven't been using it all that much. All I've done so far is setup accounts, install apps, play around with a few new things and test out the "Beats Audio" for about 10 minutes (headphones suck).

Standby time seems good though..

cube444

a 3-year lock-in to any phone seems like the worst idea ever.

It is but I work for Bell and get 35% off my monthly plan. I can buy this phone for $49, keep it for a year and then buy another phone outright next year around this time and just keep going with my plan.

Troll

Banned
I like the 8x, great phone by HTC. The ffc seemed sharper than the one on my 920 and the colors are all matte! I came away impressed by it.

UraMallas

I like the 8x, great phone by HTC. The ffc seemed sharper than the one on my 920 and the colors are all matte! I came away impressed by it.

Switched out my 920 today and pre-ordered the HTC from the website. I'm going to check the store to see if they have it there right now and cancel my order online if that is the case.

The only reason I'm switching is because of the service on AT&T. I wish the Lumia 920 was on Verizon but I'll have to "settle" for the 8X even though it is comparable in all categories besides camera and a smaller screen. I think I like the Lumia's color better (Cyan) but I haven't seen the 8X in person, yet.

frontieruk

the FFC is impressive, it still suffers crappy colour calibration though oh HTC please sort it out :(

cube444

Yeah, it is not horrible. I upgraded after a year and half.

cube, you deal with Bell is pretty sweet.

It really is and that's why at $49 for the 8X it's not a three year contract in the conventional sense as I work for the company. I can enjoy the 8X and try WP8 OS for a year or so and then get rid of the phone for any one (I'm sure next year at this point we will be seeing some crazy phones) that catches my attention.

For me it comes down to $49 for the HTC 8X or $649 for the Lumia 920.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom