• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing the Moto X Style (phone)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pic comparison between my old Galaxy S6 and the Moto X Pure Edition. See if you can guess which is which.

Top is S6, bottom is Moto X.

I thought the camera on the S6 was actually really good? Moto X camera looks damn fine, but so does the one on X Play and the G 3rd Gen

I thought the camera on the S6 was actually really good? Moto X camera looks damn fine, but so does the one on X Play and the G 3rd Gen

Usually in good lighting almost any phone will have a good shot. Once there's too much light or not enough light is usually when the good cameras difference themselves. Some cameras will either over expose or under expose.

It's my second day with the MXPE and I've run into an odd issue. The phone doesn't like earphones with in-line controls. It works fine with regular ones with nothing extra and it works with ones that have a mic but no controls, but any kind of button and it doesn't work properly. The side with the controls (right side in all the ones I tested) will have the audio cut in and out. The buttons will work though.

I tested one with a single button for muting, one with with volume controls, and one with volume and a pause button. The weird thing is that the mute button and the pause button didn't do what they were supposed to, but instead launched Moto Voice. It makes me wonder whether it's a software feature for launching Moto Voice that is interfering, rather than a hardware problem. In any case I never use the in-line controls (despite having a bunch of headsets that have them) so it doesn't really affect me.

Other than that my original impression holds. So far I've gone through my work day and I have around 35% battery left, including about 3 hours screen time and 15 minutes with nav on, which is not spectacular but still pretty good. I probably won't be using the phone much for the rest of the evening other than the occasional email so it looks like it gets through a day for me. I'll have to test out the turbo charge later and see how it does.

Day...7? I think.
Really enjoying the phone still.
Turbo charging is a life saver.
My only problem is the top speaker is super low when having a conversation. I usually have to put it on speakerphone anywhere with any type of noise.

Bought this case and it is trash. Dont waste your money. It's not even cut right to fit the Moto X. Terrible all around.

61jToprm9XL._SX425_.jpg

Day...7? I think.
My only problem is the top speaker is super low when having a conversation. I usually have to put it on speakerphone anywhere with any type of noise.

Bought this case and it is trash. Dont waste your money. It's not even cut right to fit the Moto X. Terrible all around.

61jToprm9XL._SX425_.jpg

man. i wish the speed of cases hurry up. i got one ordered for next week. but it's just a clear thing because i don't want to hide the back lol.

man. i wish the speed of cases hurry up. i got one ordered for next week. but it's just a clear thing because i don't want to hide the back lol.

Yeah same here. I want that clear back one but wanted something to go along with it...something cheap to give a semblance of protection. Eh.

Cronox

Banned
I might have worded my post wrong. I want a feature where I can pause or fast forward without having to get to the lock screen. Like when you play music you just drag your finger up to pause/reverse/fast forward without having to get to the lock screen. Just wave to wake and move the icon up on the screen.

I'm having exactly this annoyance myself. Moto display is pretty cool, even after I turned off the wave feature, it is ready to unlock basically anytime I move the phone. Even if it's sitting on the table, I just give it a poke and moto display turns on and I can unlock. The problem is, moto display only shows emails as alerts (maybe texts too, I don't text enough to notice), I have to get to the real unlock screen to see my player controls for BeyondPod, the app I use for podcasts. And moto display skips that normal lockscreen entirely. If BeyondPod could work on moto display, or if I could play/pause with a voice command I'd be alright. I can say "listen to BeyondPod," but that only opens the app, it doesn't start it playing. I downloaded an app called Tasker with the idea of maybe creating a voice command for this, but I haven't explored the possibility yet.

This kind of stuff makes me with the phone had double tap to wake. It's already silly enough that I'll have to root the thing to get the back button on the bottom right as the spaghetti monster intended.

But besides these issues this is a great phone. I mostly use my phone as a portable podcast speaker system and the speakers are great. Everything is smooth, and I halved the animation time for transitions like in the link earlier up the page. This is the silky smoothness I've been missing in my android experience ever since I switched from the iphone 3GS to the original Galaxy Note. With my usage it was at 26% battery after 2 full days, though I should note I'm using a slow charger since I've read that the fast charger causes the battery to lose charge more quickly. Either way my phone is going to be plugged in overnight, and will be at 100% in the morning, so why not.

Edit: my Moto voice command is "alright you motherfucker." It's so stupid, but I love it. I thought I'd have changed it to something I can use in by now...

Also, anyone else a little concerned about dirt build up around the speaker grills?

Alchemy

So my app drawer magically updated to be like the Android M app drawer but it still shows 5.1.1 as my version... I'm so confused.

Everybody saying the app drawer changed from horizontal to vertical for them. I got mine on the 17th and its been vertical since the first day.

After using the phone for a solid 3 days, I can safely say I love it. Probably my favorite things besides the aesthetic design of the phone are the front-facing stereo speakers, its solid performance, and turbo charging. And despite going from my 4.7 inch 2013 Moto X to my 5.7 inch Pure, it's still super comfortable to hold.

My one and only gripe,though, is that because of the increased size, my phone no longer fits in my cupholders in my car, so I have to find another spot to keep it in.while listening to music.

JaseMath

Just bought a Moto X. For all it's hardware brilliance, I simply couldn't stand iOS–I'm an Android person after all I guess.

After using the phone for a solid 3 days, I can safely say I love it. Probably my favorite things besides the aesthetic design of the phone are the front-facing stereo speakers, its solid performance, and turbo charging. And despite going from my 4.7 inch 2013 Moto X to my 5.7 inch Pure, it's still super comfortable to hold.

My one and only gripe,though, is that because of the increased size, my phone no longer fits in my cupholders in my car, so I have to find another spot to keep it in.while listening to music.

I was in the same boat. Went from the 4.7" '13 model to this. Was afraid it'd be too big, but no, you get used to it fast and it's hard to go back.

Doesn't it come with a bumper? I'm doing natural leather (love the look over time), so I'd like to keep it it as naked as possible.

I got the leather back and I'm using the included bumper. Why bother with the leather if you can't touch it, right?

Just a bit of a warning, the leather dings pretty easily, but since it's leather so after a day or two the ding goes away. But I stuck mine on my car phone stand and there's a little bump in the middle of the stand that left a deep dent that lasted several days. I haven't learned to just accept the dings and scratches yet. Also if you got it engraved, it is very hard to see unless held at just the right angle. But that leather feels really nice.

I actually like the bumper, it gives the phone a good grip while still letting you feel the leather back. The phone is too slippery without the bumper.

GrapeApes

If anyone is ordering direct from Motorola you should consider going through JetAnywhere. They giving 25% (Jet)cash back with purchase from Motorola. Not sure if it works after the fact though. Sounds pretty good for something you already going to buy anyways.

https://jet.com/anywhere
After a month finally got my monies. Got a 100 bucks to spend at Jet for something I already bought. I think I would have probably got the money if I returned the item anyways.

moto pushed out an email about some preview of a software release where they are asking for feedback. i wonder what it could be ;P

but anyways. signing up youre basically going under NDA and all.

Alchemy

Sitting at 33% battery when I took that image. Have done a lot of tweaks like diaabling the active diaplay and voice stuff, but I'm super happy with how battery life is developing. Can't wait to see how M impacts it.

Alchemy

If anyone cares, managed to hit 4 hours 2 minutes of screen on time with 5% remaining. Was mostly on LTE that entire time, so it seems pretty reasonable.

If anyone cares, managed to hit 4 hours 2 minutes of screen on time with 5% remaining. Was mostly on LTE that entire time, so it seems pretty reasonable.

Seems decent to me. I usually average around 4 myself but at work probably closer to 2.5 because i have bad signal in my office.

:Highfive:

but i turn wifi.

sprint was the worst. no bars or anything. it was basically next to a deadzone lol.

On sprint I had like nothing. I could make calls but data was non existent.
I switched to att and have at least 3g in one small area in my office.

Coworker with Verizon came into the office had no data at all (except for in the special area lol)

This room is cursed.

Day...7? I think.

61jToprm9XL._SX425_.jpg
broooo that is the only complaint I have with the X Play. Why the fuck is the volume so low during calls lol?I google'd it and some people say to turn off audio effects in the settings. I haven't tried it yet.

moto pushed an update to feedback group users. i'm sure you'll read about it on one of those android news site. but for now it's probably what you expect it to be.

with that said. i decided to get a faster microsd. this 30mb/s isn't cutting it. getting the 95mb/s 64GB card coming sunday. we'll see how long that thing can last.

GrapeApes

Anyone know how much Moto charges to fix a cracked screen? Already out the 30 day window. Didn't even drop the phone. Was squatting and when I pulled out my phone it was cracked. Would call for a quote but the touch is fucked up. Might be getting off the Moto wagon. If I can't even exercise with my phone what good is it.

What's the reason for jumping that much?

well with 30mb/s it makes running candy crush slow when playing. it was actually slow starting up to the menu and getting to the levels. so i'm sure other games will fall into the same issue if it's trying to read from a slow card. i'm sure other cards faster than 30mb would have been fine but needed a faster one for 4K recording (not really)

that and defaulting the card as internal storage. it helps later on when reading/writing from it anyways.

Fatalah

Anyone know how much Moto charges to fix a cracked screen? Already out the 30 day window. Didn't even drop the phone. Was squatting and when I pulled out my phone it was cracked. Would call for a quote but the touch is fucked up. Might be getting off the Moto wagon. If I can't even exercise with my phone what good is it.

I remember Motorola offered a one-time screen fix policy for free. I would give them a call and find out if they still uphold that policy.

GrapeApes

I remember Motorola offered a one-time screen fix policy for free. I would give them a call and find out if they still uphold that policy.

Seems like that's over. Moto charges $100-125 for a replacement device when you send yours in. Last Moto phone I buy. Never had a phone crack on me doing something so basic.

Al-ibn Kermit

Just got one and so far no heat issues. Using t-mobile in the Bay Area in case anyone is wondering if network strength is what causes problems. Also a wood back.

I do feel a slight warmth in between the metal center strip on the back and bottom of edge of the phone and I'm guessing that's where the processor is. It doesn't feel warmer than the Nexus 5 and Lumia 925 I had before though.

Howeger when turbocharging, the phone heats up significantly while charging ~15% every 10 min. That's probably by design but if it always felt that hot, I would be pissed off and demand a refund. My guess is some battery patches have an issue that causes them to heat up but I dunno.

With that out of the way I'm loving the phone and coming from a 5" inch device, it surprisingly didn't take much time to get used to the size. The biggest issue is getting used to the wood which is more slippery.

FZZ

Banned
So small update, had the phone since it's launch.

And it's still absolutely lovely. ZERO heat issues since the first week I had. Literally nothing is wrong with the phone so far. Moto did good with this phone, shame that it might be getting overshadowed by inferior off contract phones (cough) 5X (cough).

Not sure if this fits here, but for Verizon peeps the steroid-infused Moto X Style that is the Droid Turbo 2 released today. I just ordered one with overnight shipping, so hopefully I get it tomorrow assuming I didn't order too late.

Al-ibn Kermit

My bottom sensors never work for wave to wake. I either double tap the screen or shake the phone a little to activate the move to wake.

This made me paranoid when I noticed the bottom IR sensor usually didn't notice wave to wake but I looked it up and apparently the top sensor is for <6 inches and the bottom is for over 6 inches. For me the bottom sensors never works from one inch over the phone but seems fine from a foot away so hopefully that's all that your issue was.

This made me paranoid when I noticed the bottom IR sensor usually didn't notice wave to wake but I looked it up and apparently the top sensor is for <6 inches and the bottom is for over 6 inches. For me the bottom sensors never works from one inch over the phone but seems fine from a foot away so hopefully that's all that your issue was.

I think this may be right. Thanks for the heads up, tried it now and thats exactly what it is. Weird.

anyone a problem with not receiving short code =? i can't get any really especially from paypal.

i'm with tmobile. already contacted them and they said they unblocked it. but still nothing. already tried a few stuff i googled about using comma, + and whatnot.

EDIT:

it's due to notifications being on my old phone. and the whole number porting thing botched it. got paypal fixed.

Articalys

So, anything big I should know if I'm considering this as an major upgrade to an ancient, non-LTE, 4-year-old phone? Currently have Verizon and live in an area where T-Mobile doesn't have band 12 rolled out yet, so I was going to stick with the former for now but wanted to make sure to get an unlocked phone that supports both if I ever move or change my mind on carriers, which already drastically limits my options.

I was hoping there would be something closer to a 5" form factor on the market but unlocked phones that small supporting both GSM and CDMA just don't seem to exist. Jumping up from a 4'' device straight to 5.7'' will be severe -- considering my current phone's entire body can fit inside the Style's screen dimensions -- but I think it'll work out. I jury-rigged an approximation of the phone's shape from some pieces of cardboard, and while pocketability might take some getting used to, it seems I can one-hand it just fine, with maybe the only issue being accidental presses of the volume buttons on the right side of the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom