• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing the Moto X Style (phone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alchemy

So, anything big I should know if I'm considering this as an major upgrade to an ancient, non-LTE, 4-year-old phone? Currently have Verizon and live in an area where T-Mobile doesn't have band 12 rolled out yet, so I was going to stick with the former for now but wanted to make sure to get an unlocked phone that supports both if I ever move or change my mind on carriers, which already drastically limits my options.

I was hoping there would be something closer to a 5" form factor on the market but unlocked phones that small supporting both GSM and CDMA just don't seem to exist. Jumping up from a 4'' device straight to 5.7'' will be severe -- considering my current phone's entire body can fit inside the Style's screen dimensions -- but I think it'll work out. I jury-rigged an approximation of the phone's shape from some pieces of cardboard, and while pocketability might take some getting used to, it seems I can one-hand it just fine, with maybe the only issue being accidental presses of the volume buttons on the right side of the phone.

Doesn't the Nexus 5X support all bands as well?

Articalys

Doesn't the Nexus 5X support all bands as well?
That was the other phone mainly under consideration, but the extra gig of RAM and SD card support were bigger draws for this one and Marshmallow is already under limited user testing, from what I understand. They're around the same price anyway, only $20 apart.
There's also the benefit of being able to use any microUSB cable I want.

Alchemy

That was the other phone mainly under consideration, but the extra gig of RAM and SD card support were bigger draws for this one and Marshmallow is already under limited user testing, from what I understand. They're around the same price anyway, only $20 apart.
There's also the benefit of being able to use any microUSB cable I want.

Well, sounds pretty good then. Don't think there are any gotchas you have to worry about here. I don't remember pre-LTE smartphones having that great of battery life, and you can squeeze out around 4 hours SoT with the X Style so you should be good there. Size is the only thing here but you seem to have that covered. *shrug* sounds like a good choice?

Al-ibn Kermit

The Style is also a pretty thick phone but it feels about the same as a Galaxy Note in terms of thumb-reach. I couldn't find the Moto X in any Best Buy in the Bay Area when I was shopping for it.

GrapeApes

Pro tip. Dont break your phone if you can help it. Sent mines in 2 weeks back and still don't have mines. Finally stopped giving me the run around. Phones are on back order. Wont be getting one for another week or two. A fucking month to get a replacement. Just cancelled that shit. Gonna have expensive paperweight and go another route.

Pro tip. Dont break your phone if you can help it. Sent mines in 2 weeks back and still don't have mines. Finally stopped giving me the run around. Phones are on back order. Wont be getting one for another week or two. A fucking month to get a replacement. Just cancelled that shit. Gonna have expensive paperweight and go another route.

Why not just get a backup phone to use for a month?

GrapeApes

Why not just get a backup phone to use for a month?
My backup phone is a Nexus 5. Which is currently working but has a penchant to not recognize sim cards if you power off. Not trying to rely on this for a month. Probably send back the phone in the future then sell it off.

My backup phone is a Nexus 5. Which is currently working but has a penchant to not recognize sim cards if you power off. Not trying to rely on this for a month. Probably send back the phone in the future then sell it off.

I mean literally like buy a cheap backup phone.

GrapeApes

Meh. Not really pumped to buy a Moto E or a cheap Windows phone.
So after a month+ finally got my phone back from Moto Care. Ended up buying a cheap windows phone as a backup after breaking another phone. Paid about 16 bucks so I was okay without the app support. I don't see myself ever getting a Motorola again though. This shit break another time just going to cut my losses and move on.

jwk94

Heads up Moto X Pure/Style: Moto accidentally pushed Marshmallow to some devices. Was supposed to be a soak test but yeah. Try updating your device to see if you got it. Nothing on my end =(

Heads up Moto X Pure/Style: Moto accidentally pushed Marshmallow to some devices. Was supposed to be a soak test but yeah. Try updating your device to see if you got it. Nothing on my end =(

Thanks for the headsup i wont check because scared

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm fairly split on this and the Nexus 6. I want to get Project Fi, but I've read that if you use any phone other than the 3 Google offers then you could be breaking the TOS.

But in general I like a lot of what I see with the MXP, mainly the expandable storage.

Longevity wise, which do you think would last longer? I don't tend to buy phones frequently. Also, with Project Fi in account, which would be a better asset?

jwk94

Heads up: Marshmallow is here! If your phone is saying you're updated, turn it off, pull the sim card then put it back in and boot the phone back up. Some users have said that allowed them to update.

i was in their beeta so RIP.

a couple days ago i spent all day with a rebooting phone and apps were crashing at start lol. glad that is over now. i think that was more google app issue or something.

Alchemy

Finally popped out the sim to force my phone to update to marshmellow. Doze seems pretty awesome so far, otherwise doesn't feel any different. Have all my images/videos/music on my SDcard so not really worried about making it behave like internal storage, still have 8GB left internal anyways so *shrug*

Ceebs

After the 6.0 update I have been getting issues with apps seeming to freeze and the "not responding" message to pop up. If I tap wait, everything comes back normal, but it is still a pain in the ass.

I have tried a system restore already which did not fix the issue. Anyone else had this problem?

GrapeApes

After the 6.0 update I have been getting issues with apps seeming to freeze and the "not responding" message to pop up. If I tap wait, everything comes back normal, but it is still a pain in the ass.

I have tried a system restore already which did not fix the issue. Anyone else had this problem?
I've been having this issue but seems like it's mostly with Chrome. Just been using Firefox instead.

NewFresh

I've been having this issue but seems like it's mostly with Chrome. Just been using Firefox instead.

Same thing. Solely in Chrome.

Hey everyone, I'm still on a moto x 2014 version, and my biggest complaint on it is the battery life, so how is it with the newest model? Hopefully my carrier gets it soon.

hugocésar;195635888 said:
Hey everyone, I'm still on a moto x 2014 version, and my biggest complaint on it is the battery life, so how is it with the newest model? Hopefully my carrier gets it soon.

It's better but it's not like super better. I can't attest to the battery life on Marsh though since I only used in on lolli.

Alchemy

hugocésar;195635888 said:

I get between 4 and 4.5 hours of screen on time, but thats usually on about 20% brightness and with a bunch of Motorolas extra stuff turned off like active listening and the screen notification stuff.

That's a great price. But the 5X sale for Project Fi is also really intimidating. Also because I have no idea if my carrier will ever get Marshmallow on the 2014 model.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Just got my Moto X Pure a few days ago. I'm coming from an EVO 4G (had it since launch), so you can only imagine how drastic a change this has been. I haven't been able to really get into this yet due to work, but I've got the weekend off. So far, I'm really loving this phone. Android Marshmallow seems pretty awesome too.

Just got my Moto X Pure a few days ago. I'm coming from an EVO 4G (had it since launch), so you can only imagine how drastic a change this has been. I haven't been able to really get into this yet due to work, but I've got the weekend off. So far, I'm really loving this phone. Android Marshmallow seems pretty awesome too.

It's a lovely phone. I've had mine since the day it came out and it's probably the best phone I've ever had. Camera is only good, not great, but other than that I've been very pleased.

Alchemy

It's a lovely phone. I've had mine since the day it came out and it's probably the best phone I've ever had. Camera is only good, not great, but other than that I've been very pleased.

I just wish the battery life was better, lucky to get 4.5 hours SOT if I'm just hanging out on wifi all day.

VPhys

Just joined the pure team. Im actually coming from a Nexus 6p, so while this is not an upgrade, its a nice change up. Screen isn't as impressive but I'm loving the active display. I've missed this since owning an og moto X. Also, ergonomics are far superior to the p which is just a drop waiting to happen.

Any slim case recommendations? Do they ALL come with this clear bumper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom