• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing the Moto X Style (phone)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Battery Update! I can get through a whole day with battery in the teens. Phone prompts for 'battery saver mode' when one hits 15%.

Approximately -
3.5 to 4 hours SOT
A couple of Hearthstone matches
Web browsing and social apps (FB, Twitter, IG) sporadically thru day
2 hours of Spotify streaming (off-screen)
WiFi, Bluetooth, and Location services all ON entire time

I am very pleased with those results and was expecting less. Its not iPhone 6+ territory but enough for me when you factor the quick-charging.

Any hiccups with the weaker processor?

Performance is fantastic! The only thing that bugs me is there is this weird pause when loading any GAF (only tried on Chrome) thread. Annoying and makes browsing GAF a chore honestly. Don't know if its just my unit though.

Got mine today. A few days earlier than what they estimated. The leather feels really nice. I hope it gets better when it gets broken in. Time to see if I eventually will keep it or return it. The size is also great. Doesn't feel that big at all.

I'm looking to upgrade from my Moto G 1st gen. 1 GB of ram isn't cutting it for me and the whole experience has felt very choppy. Is this a good upgrade, or is there something else that's better for the price range.

The speakers are pretty loud. The phone does indeed get hot after a few minutes of using it, but my leather back might make it seem much cooler than it actually is? Not sure. A bunch of hiccups too. Not as smooth as the Moto X 2014. The next few days will be key.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Any hiccups with the weaker processor?

No, which I was bracing for when I heard reports of lag, but for now it is faaaaaar smoother than my lg g3.

I heard reports that the new Google apps update made the launcher and now a far smoother experience so that could be it?

It's not the most amazingly specced phone but I've come to realize that I value battery life far above everything else.

The speakers are pretty loud. The phone does indeed get hot after a few minutes of using it, but my leather back might make it seem much cooler than it actually is? Not sure. A bunch of hiccups too. Not as smooth as the Moto X 2014. The next few days will be key.

its probably the adaptive display. i'm going to turn it off and see how it changes.

also tmo is great. sprint sucks compared to them where i live. even though i have unlimited data i forgot tmobile's music freedom and they google music and lots of other provider to stream without adding to your data plan.

I don't even know what that is

On the bottom left corner of my screen for about half an inch, you can see a really bright spot from the backlight of the screen.

It's super noticeable on dark colors, especially on Active Display.

Not my phone, but here's an example I found on a Nexus 9:

146018d1415195590t-example-light-bleed-nexus-9-g3gc9tm.jpg

Not trying to bad mouth this phone as I love everything about it other than this, but it's a really big annoyance since the point of the phone is to stare at the screen.

Antiwhippy

So spent a whole day of fairly heavy web browsing and streamed videos on my moto X play, with approximately 6 hours of SoT and probably an additional 3 hours of screen-off podcast and music listening, and I'm still at 15% battery.

So, so awesome compared to what I've had earlier.

On the bottom left corner of my screen for about half an inch, you can see a really bright spot from the backlight of the screen.

It's super noticeable on dark colors, especially on Active Display.

Not my phone, but here's an example I found on a Nexus 9:

Not trying to bad mouth this phone as I love everything about it other than this, but it's a really big annoyance since the point of the phone is to stare at the screen.

Wow. That is bad if it's anywhere close to that. I'd rma it too. Good luck man

Alchemy

Huh, my phone doesn't have any of that. Maxxed out the brightness, black screen and nothing. Did I somehow get the only well made Moto X out there or something?

GrapeApes

It seems like I can only use the tap screen feature to control music. I wish they could do this for other audio. Have to get to the unlock screen if I'm listening to podcasts. Make it happen, Moto.

snacknuts

we all knew her
It seems like I can only use the tap screen feature to control music. I wish they could do this for other audio. Have to get to the unlock screen if I'm listening to podcasts. Make it happen, Moto.
I think that depends on the app you're using. Pocket Casts has lock screen controls.

GrapeApes

I think that depends on the app you're using. Pocket Casts has lock screen controls.
I might have worded my post wrong. I want a feature where I can pause or fast forward without having to get to the lock screen. Like when you play music you just drag your finger up to pause/reverse/fast forward without having to get to the lock screen. Just wave to wake and move the icon up on the screen.

I normally don't deal with international shipping, but this is kinda weird. The FedEx tracking site says there was a clearance delay in customs(my phone has already left China and is currently in Memphis, TN), and there's a message saying "Instructions from the importer required," and they need a commercial invoice before they can ship my phone out. I just called FedEx International to get this sorted out, and they're gonna call me back tomorrow to get it fixed.

Like I said, I don't deal with international shipping on the regs(any foreign packages I've received were usually just done through USPS), so is this something you all have had to deal with in this process?

I normally don't deal with international shipping, but this is kinda weird. The FedEx tracking site says there was a clearance delay in customs(my phone has already left China and is currently in Memphis, TN), and there's a message saying "Instructions from the importer required," and they need a commercial invoice before they can ship my phone out. I just called FedEx International to get this sorted out, and they're gonna call me back tomorrow to get it fixed.

Like I said, I don't deal with international shipping on the regs(any foreign packages I've received were usually just done through USPS), so is this something you all have had to deal with in this process?

Your phone and mine are apparently in the same shipment, I got the same message on my tracking. I asked a buddy who works in logistics and he said that it just means that there is some kind of cutoff for FedEx to pick up the shipment from customs on some days, and most of the time clearance delays means FedEx didn't get there on time. He said it's only a problem if it stays that way for more than a day or two. I just checked my tracking and it's left customs, so I'm guessing yours is the same.

For those with hot phones, how good is your cell signal when it happens? My OG Moto X is fine most of time, but if I have a weak cell signal it gets hot. Not burning my hand hot but still unusually hot for simple tasks.

Loving everything about this phone right now, except setting up Moto Voice. I'm in a room that is completely quiet, and every time I say "Ok Moto X", it comes back saying that me or my surrounding are either too loud, or I'm too quiet.

I want to use Moto Voice to see how it is, but it looks like i'll have to stick with Google Now for the time being, as that seems to have no problem with voice detection.

Fake edit: I'm also kind of missing the notification LED like my Nexus 5 had.

This phone is lovely! The white/champagne combination is subtle and classy. Fantastic screen. Super fast. Great speakers.

Only issue is the size since I prefer smaller phones, but I think I'll manage.

Antiwhippy

First full work day with the moto x play, and I'm seriously in love with this battery life. Went through a full day on one charge with more to spare, which is no mean feat seeing that I have a 4 hour commute.

5+ hours of screen on time with 6+ hours of screen off time listening to stuff, plus some video streaming in between.

Also I know people have talked about lag with this but it's been very smooth for me so far. Far smoother than g3 lollipop anyway.

Better than my htc evo 4g lte as well but so is anything

Also, any ideas of cases? I think I might go with that clear snap on back covering case on amazon.

Since people are talking about it, I thought I'd give a quick impression of the Moto X Play. I've had it for a few weeks now. Battery life is excellent - while everyone's use differs, I usually charge it overnight every other day, and just charge it while showering in the morning on the off-day to get it from around 55% up to 70% or so, just in case.

No issues with it heating up or anything like that. Probably not as likely to happen here with the weaker processor. I don't play much games, but I downloaded and played Crossy Road and the phone gets a little warm after maybe 10 minutes of play, no more so than any other phone I've had though.

And speaking of the power, I have no complaints. I'm upgrading from a Samsung Galaxy S3 and the performance of this phone blows the S3 out of the water. Everything feels nice and snappy and tasks that would lag for a second or two happen near instantly (for example, navigating through the MyFItnessPal app.) I haven't tried phones with better processors though to compare.

Screen seems nice - it can be made extremely bright, which makes viewing it outdoors actually feasible unlike the S3 I had. Going from 4.8" to 5.5" is mostly great and easier to use than I expected. Sometimes I have to reach for the "back" button, depending on the app though. That's probably the most awkward place to hit based on how I hold my phone, which is interesting since I thought the top part of the phone would be more of a stretch than the bottom.

Camera seems pretty good, but I haven't really run it through its paces so I can't compare it to the S3. I've heard daytime pictures are excellent while it has some problems with low-light pics.

Anyway, overall very happy with it so far. I never used things that required the gyro (google cardboard and photospheres being the big ones based on what I've read) so I don't miss that too much, though it's a shame it doesn't have it.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Since people are talking about it, I thought I'd give a quick impression of the Moto X Play. I've had it for a few weeks now. Battery life is excellent - while everyone's use differs, I usually charge it overnight every other day, and just charge it while showering in the morning on the off-day to get it from around 55% up to 70% or so, just in case.

No issues with it heating up or anything like that. Probably not as likely to happen here with the weaker processor. I don't play much games, but I downloaded and played Crossy Road and the phone gets a little warm after maybe 10 minutes of play, no more so than any other phone I've had though.

And speaking of the power, I have no complaints. I'm upgrading from a Samsung Galaxy S3 and the performance of this phone blows the S3 out of the water. Everything feels nice and snappy and tasks that would lag for a second or two happen near instantly (for example, navigating through the MyFItnessPal app.) I haven't tried phones with better processors though to compare.

Screen seems nice - it can be made extremely bright, which makes viewing it outdoors actually feasible unlike the S3 I had. Going from 4.8" to 5.5" is mostly great and easier to use than I expected. Sometimes I have to reach for the "back" button, depending on the app though. That's probably the most awkward place to hit based on how I hold my phone, which is interesting since I thought the top part of the phone would be more of a stretch than the bottom.

Camera seems pretty good, but I haven't really run it through its paces so I can't compare it to the S3. I've heard daytime pictures are excellent while it has some problems with low-light pics.

Anyway, overall very happy with it so far. I never used things that required the gyro (google cardboard and photospheres being the big ones based on what I've read) so I don't miss that too much, though it's a shame it doesn't have it.

I've also upgraded from a S3 and I couldn't be happier. Battery life is insane.

Alchemy

so any good case/shells pop up for this yet? I'm using the clear bumper mine came with... which is ok I guess. Don't trust it to protect the screen, and I'd love a case with a stand of some kind.

I got my Moto X Pure today, upgrading from an OG Moto X. So far it feels like a bigger, better, newer Moto X. Which is a good thing as the Moto X is probably the best phone I've used, despite having mediocre specs. So my impressions are very positive so far.

I got a red leather back with my initials engraved on it (I don't resell my phones so don't care about resale value). The leather is really fine grained, at first glance it looks almost like a textured fabric or even kevlar. On closer inspection you see the fine grain and it's pretty nice, and while it's not super soft to the touch it does have a nice softness and grip for handling for longer periods. Overall, the build quality is great and the leather looks and feels nice.

This phone has convinced me to always buy unlocked phones, setup was incredibly easy. My last phone impressed me with the easy setup with my Google account, but activating the phone first was a pain. This time I just plugged the SIM card in, put in my Gmail account, and I was up and running in five minutes. Awesome.

Performance is good, although I don't game on my phone so I don't do anything that demanding. I've noticed a few hitches here and there, although I can't figure out what is causing them. But it's few and far between, overall it's very smooth and I'm pleased with the performance as it is definitely faster and smoother than my old Moto X. I use my phone for work, so I'll have to encrypt it and install a few corporate apps, so we'll see how that affects performance. Voice recognition is way better now as well.

The screen is good, although I'm a bit skeptical about the Moto Display. The old Moto X clearly did not light up the whole screen when it turned on, but this one you can see the backlight turning on when it goes. So I'm not sure if the battery impact is going to be the same (e.g., none) although the in-app description says it won't impact the battery life. We'll see.

I'm not experiencing any heating issues, in fact it's running cooler than my old Moto X. I did an hour browsing GAF and it barely warmed up at all. The only time it heated up was while charging and the first 15 minutes while it was downloading my apps, and even then it was more of a "kinda warm" rather than "hot." I'll probably download a game to test it out and do some video streaming.

The camera seems pretty good, although I'm a bit disappointed with the slomo function. It seems to lose a lot of detail. But it's still nice to have.

The big question mark is the battery life, but I've been using it so much that I'm not going to get a good sense of that. But so far I'm really happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom