• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing the Moto X Style (phone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alchemy

Battery life updates for today:
Used about two hours of GPS and Pandora (at the same time) while driving, had my phone plugged into a non-turbo charger for the trips with the screen on and at max brightness. Otherwise normal gaming (Pokemon Shuffle and Future Fight) and usage of Twitter/Skype/Hangouts and browsing. Been up since 7:30am, heading to bed soon (10:30pm). Sitting at 40% battery.

jwk94

Battery life updates for today:
Used about two hours of GPS and Pandora (at the same time) while driving, had my phone plugged into a non-turbo charger for the trips with the screen on and at max brightness. Otherwise normal gaming (Pokemon Shuffle and Future Fight) and usage of Twitter/Skype/Hangouts and browsing. Been up since 7:30am, heading to bed soon (10:30pm). Sitting at 40% battery.
Lord, I hope I can get something like that. My moto x 2014 is starting to age

FZZ

Banned
Battery life update for me. I was able to get about 3.5-4 hours on screen time along with downloading and updating all the games I play including playing each one for roughly 30 min. I also updated and synced all contacts from my old phone which took around 45 min. Then I let the device sit still for about 3 and a half hours (took a nap) and I am at 26%.

Pretty good overall imo.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I checked the status of my order again yesterday afternoon and it was still showing an estimated arrival date of Oct. 2. I woke up this morning and had a shipping notification saying it should be here on or before Friday (Google Now tracking says it will be here tomorrow, FedEx tracking says Thu, Moto tracking says Fri). Glad I don't have to wait another two and a half weeks.

2 pound box just for the project fi Sim card kit thanks google for the goodness. i just hope fedex doesn't leave it at the front door. lord knows they would deliver it and not read the instruction.

Inb4 RIP stolen package. also i need to still deactivate my apps from old phone before i forget. looks like square enix token app logged out. don't know why and how but lol.

2 pound box just for the project fi Sim card kit thanks google for the goodness. i just hope fedex doesn't leave it at the front door. lord knows they would deliver it and not read the instruction.

Inb4 RIP stolen package. also i need to still deactivate my apps from old phone before i forget. looks like square enix token app logged out. don't know why and how but lol.

You're going all in with Project Fi on the Pure?

I checked the status of my order again yesterday afternoon and it was still showing an estimated arrival date of Oct. 2. I woke up this morning and had a shipping notification saying it should be here on or before Friday (Google Now tracking says it will be here tomorrow, FedEx tracking says Thu, Moto tracking says Fri). Glad I don't have to wait another two and a half weeks.

The fuck....

You're going all in with Project Fi on the Pure?

for now. i might just return it if they don't get it properly working for moto x (no sprint network). my area has good tmo service that's why. i might just switch to tmo for unlimited data. but for now i'm just testing it out. want to see how seamless the whole wifi/LTE thing is.

snacknuts

we all knew her
The fuck....

Wd6oa89.gif

I feel whiny and very first world problems right now but god dammit motorola. My current phones mic is dead, headphone jack is dead, battery dies within 2 hours of SOT and is my only phone and I dont even have a tracking number yet for a phone thats supposed to be arriving the 18th....

I feel whiny and very first world problems right now but god dammit motorola. My current phones mic is dead, headphone jack is dead, battery dies within 2 hours of SOT and I dont even have a tracking number yet for a phone thats supposed to be arriving the 18th....

did your phone even work. LOL RIP HTC EVO 4G.

Really looking into this phone since my Z3c has been really messing itself up with the latest software update - it's gone from lasting two days to lasting less than one - and I've been thinking about a bigger phone. As a former Nexus fan with the 4/5, I'm thinking also about the Nexus 5X, which of course it's hard to judge considering I haven't seen it officially, but SD card slot is, since the Z3c, a kinda big deal for me.

So, a quick question - which do you think is going to do better in battery and camera departments, just in terms of a prediction? I know the 5X will probably be a tad worse in battery, but the camera should be close because Nexus and Moto cameras have never been THAT great, right? Looked around and haven't seen many solid impressions on the camera on the XS, at least other than "well, it's better than the last one and fine now".

Also thought about the X Play briefly for that battery but no gyro, man. No gyro. :(

Got the phone yesterday evening. I am loving the hell out of it. Much more comfortable to hold in my hand compared to the N6. The camera actually looks like it'll be pretty damn good. I've not experienced a single heating issue, even when it was ramping up d/l'ing a mass of stuff as is normal the 1st day. Could be the bamboo perhaps?

As far as battery, I'll report by end of today how it went (from a full charge), but initial impressions look positive. That quick charging cable is no joke! Plugged it in at 24% before going to bed, checked on it 5 mins later and it was at 36% already!

I wanted to add that the Moto gestures are really cool:

Camera - Twist your wrist while holding the phone twice. Twist again to switch to the front-facing cam.
Flashlight - Tilt phone left twice (quickly, doesn't always work)
Notifications - Just wave your hand over phone and it'll wake the screen and show any notifications. I never have to wake with the power button anymore.
Reject Call - When receiving incoming call, wave hand over phone (i haven't tested this one)

Hopefully the phone number transfer won't take but 15 minutes. last time i did it it took 2 hours (tmo to sprint) lol.

but yeah. bad time to charge when you have to set up a new phone with a sim lol but hey. 10 hour in 15 minutes? we'll see the % at 15 minute, Moto.

EDIT: Project fi unboxing videos show you get a case and headphones for nexus 6? i don't need the case but yes to the headphones! (y)

Hopefully the phone number transfer won't take but 15 minutes. last time i did it it took 2 hours (tmo to sprint) lol.

but yeah. bad time to charge when you have to set up a new phone with a sim lol but hey. 10 hour in 15 minutes? we'll see the % at 15 minute, Moto.

EDIT: Project fi unboxing videos show you get a case and headphones for nexus 6? i don't need the case but yes to the headphones! (y)

I think that may have been a bonus if you purchased a Nexus 6 on financing through them, could be wrong.

I'm debating on switching to Cricket or Project Fi. Cricket seems like the safer bet, but Project Fi just sounds so cool.

Mine's waiting for me at FedEx. Can't wait to pick it up after work. Then I have to deal with going to AT&T and getting it activated. :(

I think that may have been a bonus if you purchased a Nexus 6 on financing through them, could be wrong.

I'm debating on switching to Cricket or Project Fi. Cricket seems like the safer bet, but Project Fi just sounds so cool.

Mine's waiting for me at FedEx. Can't wait to pick it up after work. Then I have to deal with going to AT&T and getting it activated. :(

well my order page said the sim card kit and welcome kit. and fedex shows 2 pounds. i think they may have included it lol. doubt it's 2 pound worth of packing ;P

EDIT: looks like it just got delivered. debating if i should leave work to pick it up just in case it's at the front door or play the game of risk and wait for it in 4 hours lol

well my order page said the sim card kit and welcome kit. and fedex shows 2 pounds. i think they may have included it lol. doubt it's 2 pound worth of packing ;P

EDIT: looks like it just got delivered. debating if i should leave work to pick it up just in case it's at the front door or play the game of risk and wait for it in 4 hours lol

What part of the country are you in? I'm in Indianapolis which supposedly has excellent TMobile coverage (not sure on Sprint).

I really think I could get by with just the 1GB of data on Project Fi - $30/mo sounds amazing.

What part of the country are you in? I'm in Indianapolis which supposedly has excellent TMobile coverage (not sure on Sprint).

I really think I could get by with just the 1GB of data on Project Fi - $30/mo sounds amazing.

louisiana. lol. the reason i hope it eventually works with sprint is that the spots where sprint sucks tmobile works and vice versa.

snacknuts

we all knew her

I'm also in Indy and thinking about trying the lowest tier of Project Fi for a month to see if it's a viable option for me. I am currently on a grandfathered unlimited plan with Verizon, but $30/mo is a huge price decrease for me.

so i went home and picked up the package. the welcome kit includes a headphone, a 6000mah external battery backup, and a case for the nexus 6

SMattera

I meant hot, as in the temperature of the phone.

After playing around with it for about an hour, I think I figured it out.

For some reason, using Chrome for extended periods of time causes the phone to heat up. Just staying in the home screen, or using other apps, does not seem to trigger this issue. I am not sure why. Maybe the prevalence of white?

Anyone with this phone -- can you try browsing GAF for 15-20 minutes on your Moto X using Chrome and report back?

so i had to order an unactivated sim card? RIP. let me see if google can deactivate it on their end. if not. i'll just go sign up with Tmo for that unlimited then lol.

part of elite 64GB status. ouch.

I meant hot, as in the temperature of the phone.

After playing around with it for about an hour, I think I figured it out.

For some reason, using Chrome for extended periods of time causes the phone to heat up. Just staying in the home screen, or using other apps, does not seem to trigger this issue. I am not sure why. Maybe the prevalence of white?

Anyone with this phone -- can you try browsing GAF for 15-20 minutes on your Moto X using Chrome and report back?

I've been browsing GAF for about 30 minutes now and it barely warms up for me. I wonder if having the bamboo back mitigates some of the heat transfer? I'm curious what design did you choose?

SMattera

I've been browsing GAF for about 30 minutes now and it barely warms up for me. I wonder if having the bamboo back mitigates some of the heat transfer? I'm curious what design did you choose?

Walnut

And it's not just the back. The screen gets just as hot.

It's not uncomfortable, but you can definitely tell.

Not sure if I'm going to return it or keep it. But I wouldn't recommend this phone. Get a G4 or a Note 5 instead.

FZZ

Banned
Alright I literally just browsed GAF and a few other sites for 20 minutes straight. At around 15 minutes there were no heat issues, you could barely tell it was warm but around 18 minutes it started getting noticeably warmer. Note performance hasn't dropped, battery life started at 49% and is now at 40%, and the temperature isn't anything I'd call hot.

But yeah at around 20 minutes of continuous use it definitely gets warmer than it regularly is. Not as bad as my old phone (HTC One M7) but that never got piping hot until 1.5 years into owning the phone.

For reference my phone is 16gb with a walnut wood back cover.

Edit: Just felt the screen since I use a stylus, and the screen is warmer than the back for me. I never noticed how warm the screen got, I can definitely see that being an issue for people who don't have a stylus and are annoyed by the heat, still though performance wise I didn't notice any issues. Also for anyone testing how warm it gets, if you don't have a spare phone to check the heat of the Moto X use the back of your hand. My palms were already warm so using the back of my hand helped tell me how warm it was in comparison to before. It's a jank way to tell but it works.

So what carrier is best right now in terms of price. And stuff like metropcs cricket and stuff use same network as those paying for plans or its a different network that they own

Been using my Moto X pretty intensively for a few hours. Absolutely perfect performance. No excessive heat to speak of. Beautiful screen. Zero complaints from me. Couldn't be happier. Bought it through Moto Maker & have a leather back FYI.

FedEx has temporarily lost my Moto X.

My wife wasn't home when they tried to drop it off, so I went online and had it be sent to the local FedEx office. About an hour later I got a call saying that it's at the office and ready to be picked up.

When I went there after work, they didn't have it and had no recollection of receiving it. They called all of the other nearby FedEx locations and they didn't have it either. The tracking just says that it's on the way to the office.

I'll see what it says in the morning and call if it's still MIA. Pretty frustrated right now. :(

snacknuts

we all knew her
FedEx has temporarily lost my Moto X.

My wife wasn't home when they tried to drop it off, so I went online and had it be sent to the local FedEx office. About an hour later I got a call saying that it's at the office and ready to be picked up.

When I went there after work, they didn't have it and had no recollection of receiving it. They called all of the other nearby FedEx locations and they didn't have it either. The tracking just says that it's on the way to the office.

I'll see what it says in the morning and call if it's still MIA. Pretty frustrated right now. :(
Sorry, man. I know how frustrating it is to be excited for a new piece of kit like that and have the delivery get fucked up.

SMattera

OK. It's only gotten worse with additional use. Let the girlfriend browse Pinterest for just 5 minutes and the phone got burning-your-hands hot.

Going to be sending it back and picking up a Note 5 tomorrow.

Wanted to love this phone, but I think Moto has become junk.

OK. It's only gotten worse with additional use. Let the girlfriend browse Pinterest for just 5 minutes and the phone got burning-your-hands hot.

Going to be sending it back and picking up a Note 5 tomorrow.

Wanted to love this phone, but I think Moto has become junk.

Again, zero issues with mine. Cold to the touch. There must've been a defective batch of units or something. Did you order yours from Amazon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom