• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC 8X/S |OT| Now 20 Pennies Lighter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

monagram

Picked one up one for Verizon, yesterday. While I can't compare it to any of the other WP8 phones or even the second Gen WP7s, it is light years ahead of the Trophy that it replaced.

The screen is naturally much nicer and the apps load a hell of a lot faster than they did. The biggest reason for my upgrade was the LTE service and it was worth it. I can now stream last.fm or Xbox music on my commute in and out of Manhattan without any stuttering or dropouts.

Liberty4all

Banned
a 3-year lock-in to any phone seems like the worst idea ever.

The reality is that while Canadian carriers say they have 3 year terms, a little into the second year you can usually get a free hardware upgrade (free meaning no early upgrade charge). You will of course need to go through retention, threaten to cancel, etc ... Our carriers are like used car salesmen ... No matter what they initially say, there is a better deal to be had.

The downside of course is signing your life away into another 3 year contract.

hwalker84

Forgot to post this in this thread
DSC02770.JPG

WP_20121115_001.jpg

WP_20121115_002.jpg

WP_20121115_003.jpg

WP_20121115_004.jpg

WP_20121115_005.jpg

The Family Portrait
DSC02772.JPG

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Hello fellow WP8 users, I come from the distant land of Lumia. There's been some discussions about lackluster battery life and signs point to the software that measures battery levels is out of whack, is this the case with the 8X too?

frontieruk

Hello fellow WP8 users, I come from the distant land of Lumia. There's been some discussions about lackluster battery life and signs point to the software that measures battery levels is out of whack, is this the case with the 8X too?

can't say I've noticed shenanigans with my 8X battery, though I hear locking the Lumia to 3g may help

cube444

What's with the lack of a black version? I see Bell has the blue and SCHUEY F1 has posted that Rogers will get the black in only 8GB.

Why do Nokia and HTC offer up all these colours and then give you only one?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
What's with the lack of a black version? I see Bell has the blue and SCHUEY F1 has posted that Rogers will get the black in only 8GB.

Why do Nokia and HTC offer up all these colours and then give you only one?

Just get the blurple 8X from Bell ;)

zedge

We upgraded the kids phone today (he paid . :p). Blue HTC 8X. I am so jealous.. this thing is gorgeous.. the screen looks like its just floating above the glass. He loves it. May end up with one of these as it looks like a PIA to get a Lumia and unlock it. His phone is on Rogers, mine is Bell.

Gav

Spent the weekend down in London, and it was the first time i could really take lots of photos with my 8X.

Obviously just click to make them larger. Not full size though, i shrunk them slightly, as they are massive when full resolution!

Very happy with the camera!

At least they have it on there website now. They have to be getting it soon.

Actually we are getting it soon. In fact, I'm pretty sure its already for sale as I remember seeing it in our pricing grid. Stock is another issue entirely I suppose.

Fake edit: just checked my hardware list, it is available in stores, cannot be shipped out from the call centre. Just call the stores and ask them what's up.

Double fake edit: I actually used the phone at the product launch. It's pretty nifty and has a nice mix of the ios and android functionality. A lot of people have been asking about it so it is gaining mindshare. Its nice to imagine a viable competitor to the ios/android monopoly.

cube444

Actually we are getting it soon. In fact, I'm pretty sure its already for sale as I remember seeing it in our pricing grid. Stock is another issue entirely I suppose.

Fake edit: just checked my hardware list, it is available in stores, cannot be shipped out from the call centre. Just call the stores and ask them what's up.

Double fake edit: I actually used the phone at the product launch. It's pretty nifty and has a nice mix of the ios and android functionality. A lot of people have been asking about it so it is gaining mindshare. Its nice to imagine a viable competitor to the ios/android monopoly.

Do you for work for Bell? If so, when are we getting the "Graphite Black" 8X? I'm not feeling that "California Blue"...at all.

Menelaus

Banned
Verizon has royally fubar'd the release of this phone. I was told on Friday that mine was shipping that night and I'd have it by Monday (today). I got an email yesterday (Sunday) telling me it would be here on Wednesday by 4:30pm. If that's the case, I won't be getting it until NEXT Monday due to the holiday.

All this, and they had them in stock in store last Friday, but wouldn't let me cancel my preorder because "it says it's shipping tonight".

At least my Nokia QI charging plate came in today!

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm getting bored with my iPhone, would it be worth trading it in for cash to get one of these? I mostly use twitter, facebook, browsing, music and pictures on my iPhone, not really a big App guy.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting bored with my iPhone, would it be worth trading it in for cash to get one of these? I mostly use twitter, facebook, browsing, music and pictures on my iPhone, not really a big App guy.

I will double post from the WP thread. What carrier are you with Red?

kharma45

Held a demo unit of the HTC 8S today, lovely feel in the hand.

Just wish there was some reviews out there in the wild for it, it's the only thing that's holding my gf from jumping over from iOS.

Menelaus

Banned
I'm not seeing many good impressions of the 8X/8S anywhere online this week. If I do indeed get mine tomorrow, I'll type up some impressions coming from iOS.

zedge

Held a demo unit of the HTC 8S today, lovely feel in the hand.

Just wish there was some reviews out there in the wild for it, it's the only thing that's holding my gf from jumping over from iOS.
There's plenty of reviews out there. Check YouTube.

kharma45

Read a review of a HTC Hd7 and the 8X and the 8s is somewhere in the middle, same res as the HD7 same CPU as the 8X

Yeah the SOC in the 8S is so, so much better than what's in the HD7. Build quality is much better too, and although the screen is smaller it's a better quality panel than the one found in the HD7.

Bigger battery too amongst other things, overall a much better phone but you'd expect that two generations on. tbh it's not even worth comparing it to the HD7 :p

frontieruk

Yeah the SOC in the 8S is so, so much better than what's in the HD7. Build quality is much better too, and although the screen is smaller it's a better quality panel than the one found in the HD7.

Bigger battery too amongst other things, overall a much better phone but you'd expect that two generations on. tbh it's not even worth comparing it to the HD7 :p

the screen tech is the same as the 8x but the resolution is the same as the HD7, the SOC I was using the HD7 as the closest example of a HTC screen at that resolution, but you could read any windows phone review and get the impression of the OS, the handset is just that, people make such a song and dance but at the end of the day it's a god damn phone, does it make calls? Yes then w00t job done.

Menelaus

Banned
FedEx is driving me insane!!!

11/19/2012 - Monday
6:07 am
In transit - MEMPHIS, TN

11/20/2012 - Tuesday
4:38 pm
Departed FedEx location -MEMPHIS, TN

Did it really take 34 hours to travel WITHIN MEMPHIS?

UraMallas

FedEx is driving me insane!!!

11/19/2012 - Monday
6:07 am
In transit - MEMPHIS, TN

11/20/2012 - Tuesday
4:38 pm
Departed FedEx location -MEMPHIS, TN

Did it really take 34 hours to travel WITHIN MEMPHIS?

Holy shit. I have the exact same update. I'm in West Des Moines, IA. It still gives me an expected delivery date of 11/21/2012 by 7:00PM CST, though. I'm not holding my breath.

Coldsnap

I see verizon is having a $99 sale on the 8x. My upgrade is not eligible until 10 days, is there any way i could get them to upgrade me earlier?

zeeaykay

I see verizon is having a $99 sale on the 8x. My upgrade is not eligible until 10 days, is there any way i could get them to upgrade me earlier?

Really? I know Best Buy is selling it for 100, but I don't see anywhere where it says that Verizon is.

zeeaykay

Sorry, Melanus! Not to rub it in, but I just picked mine up from Best Buy a few hours ago. I initially wanted the blue, but after getting impatient I went with the black and I've gotta say I'm glad I did.

They had the blue model on the floor and it was the first time I'd seen it in person. A little too colorful (I'm obviously rationalizing here). The black is so sleek, and with the tile customization it's still plenty colorful.

To the phone: I love it. The perfect size, feels incredibly slim, and super responsive. Really couldn't be happier. The only thing I'm struggling with is figuring out this xbox music deal. I'm on the subscription, and I was under the impression that you could stream pretty much anything from the cloud (and if they didn't have it you could upload your own stuff to the cloud). I'm not so sure anymore.

Menelaus

Banned
After spending the afternoon with it, I'm not sending it back, especially given that black is out of stock.

Quick impressions:

+ The screen. It's gorgeous, but the blacks aren't as deep as any Samsung AMOLED. Resolution is just as good as an iPhone's "retina display".
+ Speed. Somewhere between Android and iOS, the screen is very responsive and snappy. The screen doesn't "lock" onto your finger quite as well as iOS, but definitely better than Android. Transitions are pretty and fun.
+ Audio quality. Calls are very clear, volume is plenty loud, and at its loudest...too loud. That's a good thing.
+ Feel in hand. 4.3'' has been my favorite form factor since the Droid X, and I'm very happy to have another. The entire screen is thumbable, and the pocketability is the best of any phone I've ever had. It simply disappears when put in a pocket. Rounded back and corners are very sleek and comfortable. Only knock is that it's very hard to hold no handed against a shoulder.
+ Capacitive buttons. Usually hate these due to lack of response, but these are easily the best I've ever seen.
+ Notification light behind grill. Discrete but classy.

- Hardware buttons. Like every review ever says, the volume rocker, camera button, and power button especially just disappear into the body. Very hard to find the power button without looking, and uncomfortable to one hand.
- Camera. Coming from an iPhone, everything pales in comparison. 8X is no different.
- Beats by Dre. Useless gimmick, but luckily turned off out of the box.
- External speaker. Terrible placement, setting on the phone's back muffles output.
- Packaging. Weird quibble I know, but this was the most unintuitive packaging I've EVER SEEN. Spent 5 minutes just sort of feeling around the box before I realized you had to crowbar it apart. Once in the box, had difficulty getting down to the charger. Just weird, weird design choices here.

Random thoughts about WP8 in general coming from iOS 6.

+ LOVE the transitions. I'll probably grow to hate them, but for now, very fresh.
+ People hub. Awesome that I don't necessarily need to use the shitty facebook client. Same for being able to share pics to Facebook seamlessly from the OS. Every bit of integration is very transparent, MS did a great job here.
+ App store. Super clean, easy to find reviews, accepts Paypal. MS blew me away here. Leagues better than the iOS App Store.
+ Slacker (and other music apps) integrating into the Music hub. Very slick and unexpected.
+ Live tiles, enough said.
+ Ability to have multiple inboxes and each have their own unique tiles/app. Hate how in Android they all share the same "Email" program...same for iOS.
+ Xbox games. Love that every game has a trial, and full Xbox integration. Fun to dick around with your avatar on the phone, or see who is online.
+ Surprising amount of apps support both landscape and portrait.

- Bing Maps blows goats. Nokia Maps can NOT arrive fast enough. I feel crippled here.
- No persistent notification tray. Notifications become completely useless, and you have to instead rely on the tiles being your notifications.
- Verizon removed group MMS from the 8X. Very stupid move on their part when AT&T customers have it.
- Search results showing Store apps at top of results. Cool the first time, now it's just annoying.

Any questions or if you want me to try something for you, just say so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom