• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moto $150Gs at Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's $150 for you guys who want an android phone or a good backup phone. No LTE though. GSM only. Go get it! In case you need to know its specs

Display: 5.0” 720p HD 720×1280 IPS, 294 ppi, Corning Gorilla Glass 3
Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 processor with 1.2 GHz quad-core CPU, Adreno 305 450MHz GPU
Memory: Single SIM – 8GB & 16GB versions; Dual SIM; 8GB & 16GB versions; Dual SIM DTV – 16GB
RAM: 1GB
Cameras: 8MP rear camera (4X digital zoom, Auto HDR); 2MP front camera
Battery: 2,070 mAh
Water repellent: Yes
Ports: Micro USB; 3.5mm headphone
Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n; Bluetooth 4.0
Audio: Front-facing speakers
Dimensions: Width: 70.7mm, Height: 141.5mm, Curve: 6.0-11.0mm
Other: GPS, GLONASS, Digital DTV Brazil Only
Weight: 149 grams
Network: GSM/GPRS/EDGE, UMTS/HSPA+ (up to 21.1 Mbps downlink / 5.76 Mbps uplink)

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_1048...mobile,n:10488837011&ie=UTF8&node=10488837011

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I went to the link and it's 150 dollars, not 150 thousand dollars.

nullset2

Amazing deal, get it everyone. Been loving my moto G since I got it earlier this year, the second gen version is even better.

JoseJX

Remember to get the Global version for 32 GB slot

Both versions have the microSD slot as far as I can tell. The US version works on T-Mobile, while the international version doesn't support the 1700MHz band, so you only get 2G on T-Mobile.

I bought one for my wife to replace her Galaxy Nexus that's been dropped. Hope it works well!

Somnid

Fire Phone or this? I know what Jazzy thinks, but aren't the specs better on the Fire Phone?

To compare Fire Phone has:

-a Snapdragon 800 which is substantially faster (SD400s are used in Android Wear watches to put it into perspective)
-2x the RAM (2GB)
-4x the storage (32GB but no SD card support)
-13MP Back Camera with OIS
-Similar screen in terms of resolution, I couldn't tell you with regards to color etc.
-Supports 802.11ac
-Does not support Bluetooth 4.0 yet (probably coming in an updated scheduled early next year)
-LTE support
-A barometer, NFC, and Dynamic Perspective cams

It's not even a little bit close. However, I made a very long write up on Fire Phone here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=945508&highlight=fire+phone. If you want security of something familiar that has access to Google Play then Fire Phone is not the phone for you, you'd probably feel better sacrificing power and picking up one of these. If you're the type that considers things like Windows Phone, doesn't mind sideloading if you can't get what you want or likes messing around with interesting tech then it's something to consider.

If you're in the US, HSPA+ on T-Mobile is fast so lack of LTE isn't a huge concern anyway. It's definitely fast enough for your smartphone needs.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
If you're in the US, HSPA+ on T-Mobile is fast so lack of LTE isn't a huge concern anyway. It's definitely fast enough for your smartphone needs.

This is true. I still use my Nexus 4 sometimes and I easily get 7-9mbps on T-Mobile HSPA+

If you're the type that considers things like Windows Phone, doesn't mind sideloading if you can't get what you want or likes messing around with interesting tech then it's something to consider.

Sounds like me. I'm in for that; just hope my trade ins land in time!

this_guy

Fire Phone or this? I know what Jazzy thinks, but aren't the specs better on the Fire Phone?

Amazon Fire phone will have much better hardware (cpu, camera, ram, storage, etc), but, and this is a pretty big but, it doesn't have the Google Play store and will not feel like any other Android phone. I'm picking one up as a backup phone/media player. You can side load android apps, but by default it won't have any of Google's apps.

It's currently $229, but you get a year of Amazon prime and my Prime membership was up for renewal anyway, so I'm looking at this like a $129 purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OC0USA6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

this_guy

I can't remember. Is this worse, on par, or better than the original Moto X?

Hardware the Fire phone still has the edge over the original Moto X. CPU - Snapdragon 800 (Fire phone) vs S4 pro (Moto X), so the Fire phone is better, but the Moto X for the most part will be just as snappy as any other Android phone out there. Both phones have a 720 screen, and the camera will be better on the Fire phone. But the Fire phone won't feel like an Android phone, while the Moto X is about as close to stock Android as you can get.

Hardware the Fire phone still has the edge over the original Moto X. CPU - Snapdragon 800 (Fire phone) vs S4 pro (Moto X), so the Fire phone is better, but the Moto X for the most part will be just as snappy as any other Android phone out there. Both phones have a 720 screen, and the camera will be better on the Fire phone. But the Fire phone won't feel like an Android phone, while the Moto X is about as close to stock Android as you can get.

Cool thanks. I don't feel the need to upgrade yet, but a slight upgrade (specifically with more storage capacity) would be worth it at the right price. Going to pass.

You liked the looks of the Moto G? You can't be serious.
Yes, it's one of the most beautiful phone in existence. Just a simple, elegant, black slab with beautifully proportioned edges and no distracting elements whatsoever. Every single time I've asked someone to take a (terrible) picture of me with it, people have been surprised and in awe with its beauty and simplicity.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I just got a new Gen 1 Moto G for $65 and I'm really pleased so far! My trusty Nexus 4 just died completely, and this fills the void. I hope Lollipop comes to the Boost Mobile service soon.

Syriel

Picked up one of the Boost Mobile Moto G units for $5 (after CB) over Black Friday. Set it up as a home phone (Google Voice) and Chromecast remote.

Haven't really had the time to run benchmarks or load it up with games, but I can say that the camera is pretty crap.

The 5MP camera on my original Galaxy S takes better snaps than the 5MP camera on the Moto G.

Picked up one of the Boost Mobile Moto G units for $5 (after CB) over Black Friday. Set it up as a home phone (Google Voice) and Chromecast remote.

GODDAMN. What a hell of an idea.

Maybe I should do this with my GS3 after my new phone comes in. Just keep it as a GPS/home phone/remote

The 5MP camera on my original Galaxy S takes better snaps than the 5MP camera on the Moto G.
I know you're probably (hopefully?) not being completely serious, but I went from the original Galaxy S to Moto G and the camera has been amazing (nothing close to literally amazing of course, just relatively). The HDR function is a god damn magic trick if I ever saw one even in cloudy/gray weather.

Syriel

GODDAMN. What a hell of an idea.

Maybe I should do this with my GS3 after my new phone comes in. Just keep it as a GPS/home phone/remote

Might as well sell the GS3 as it still holds value. Just keep an eye out for a cheap prepaid.

1) It'll do the same thing.
2) A new prepaid will have a new battery.

But yeah, with all the super cheap deals around the holiday, now is the time. You spend $10-15 on a prepaid smartphone. Don't bother activating it.

Can use it as:

1) Dedicated Chromecast remote.
2) Dedicated Google Voice phone line (via WiFi).
3) Offline GPS (Nokia Maps).
4) Dedicated Dash Cam (Daily Roads Voyager).
5) Dedicated IP Cam.
6) Mini web server.
7) etc.

They are basically little computers, and at the prices you can get them for, why not? Just because they are sold as phones doesn't mean you have to use them as phones. ;)

I know you're probably (hopefully?) not being completely serious, but I went from the original Galaxy S to Moto G and the camera has been amazing (nothing close to literally amazing of course, just relatively). The HDR function is a god damn magic trick if I ever saw one even in cloudy/gray weather.

Nope, pretty serious. In the comparisons I've done, the sensor on the older Galaxy seems to be better. Colors are more muddied and fuzzy on the Moto G. HDR can be done on any of the devices, that's a function of the software, not the hardware.

The camera on the Moto G is low end. It is serviceable, but by no means excellent. Compared to other current generation phones, the camera on the Moto G is below average.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom