• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC 8X/S |OT| Now 20 Pennies Lighter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah right, I thought it was just Nokia Drive that the rest of the phones were waiting on.

Cheers!

Nokia make the map available but it's up to the OEM to make use of them. HTC would really need to step up to the plate and make their phone attractive to buy. Nokia has that low-light Pureview and while HTC camera is no sloth, their software offering is far behind Nokia.

When the price drop on the 8X, I am going to pick one up off contract as a back-up phone or when I don't want to carry around that giant brick 920.

kharma45

Just had a look, the 8X has the regular maps app but it's powered by Nokia Maps now.

Nokia Drive is all it's missing, strange that they've not put it on their phones yet seeing as HTC Locations is dead by the looks of it.

Just had a look, the 8X has the regular maps app but it's powered by Nokia Maps now.

Nokia Drive is all it's missing, strange that they've not put it on their phones yet seeing as HTC Locations is dead by the looks of it.

I am pretty sure Drive will remain Nokia exclusive app, and if HTC want to have turn by turn navigation they are going to have to make one.

Blackhead

Redarse
+ Notification light behind grill. Discrete but classy.

- No persistent notification tray. Notifications become completely useless, and you have to instead rely on the tiles being your notifications.

Can you talk more about the Notification light? It wasn't even mentioned by any reviewer :/

Nokia have opened Drive up to all hardware OEMs

http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/06/20/nokia-drive-for-all-windows-phone-8-smartphones/

I guess the likes of HTC don't want to pay for it I guess.

I'd rather have Nokia Transit than Drive...

Menelaus

Banned
Regarding the notification light, it seems that it's only used during charging to show if it is in progress (red) or green (done). Hoping we get an app to apply that to email etc.

frontieruk

Regarding the notification light, it seems that it's only used during charging to show if it is in progress (red) or green (done). Hoping we get an app to apply that to email etc.

whats annoying is on wp7, the led on the HD7 / Titan at least let you know you'd missed a call

cube444

I've been hoping for this too and it should be very easy to do.

frontieruk

I've been hoping for this too and it should be very easy to do.

Gah failing at leaving GAF, but this really needed commenting on...

As mentioned earlier the HD7/Titan both supported missed call notifications via the LED, but as far as I'm aware no Apps were ever made to use it even on rooted devices.

Menelaus

Banned
I am so over the volume rocker and power button placement. It's really hard to reliably use either without looking at the phone.

Coldsnap

What music programs are you guys using to load your music into the windows 8 phone? I tried to use Windows Media Player but I hate it so much.

Having a hard time with folder organization. My music is all in like 3 folders.

What do you mean by that? You can set Windows Media Player to looks for music in various folders.

It's not the best sync option and I miss the old Zune software. Windows Phone 8 Music / video support suck ... I miss my wireless sync.

frontieruk

Looks like im departing the cool kids to follow the sheeple with the 920, going to pay through the nose for it but after todays call from HTC they can go fuck themselves before keeping my money.

Menelaus

Banned
The flaring on the camera is absolutely garbage. The AF hunting in video mode is pretty horrific as well.

I absolutely can't hit the power button to save my life. If I manage to do so, I'm also mashing the volume rocker too.

I'm really hoping the ATIV specs are released this week or next so I can trade in assuming they are S3-like.

frontieruk

The flaring on the camera is absolutely garbage. The AF hunting in video mode is pretty horrific as well.

I absolutely can't hit the power button to save my life. If I manage to do so, I'm also mashing the volume rocker too.

I'm really hoping the ATIV specs are released this week or next so I can trade in assuming they are S3-like.

the specs are out aren't they??? or are they changing them for US carriers again?

HTC make crappy buttons, it was the same way on the Titan (worst actually because the phone is so wide). I used to think Nokia Lumia buttons are generic but on both 900 and 920 they feel great.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
WPCentral is saying that the Verizon Windows Phone 8X is unlocked and will run on T-Mobile and AT&T (HSPA+).

You can use your T-Mobile or AT&T SIM in a Verizon HTC 8X

Seriously thinking about getting this phone for T-Mobile as the wireless charging (exclusive to Verizon) is a big deal to me. You can also get the phone in different colors from Verizon.

Is it confirmed to have 1700 AWS for T-Mobile?

I'm thinking the speedtest is showing the 1900 MHz refarmed 3G.

Coldsnap

Got my 8x Friday, been playing with it most the weekend. I love it! It feels so alive and vibrant compared to my iphone 4s. Homescreen tiles are OCD city. Good place to see how other people are organizing?

What's the best wireless charging thing?

maeh2k

Good place to see how other people are organizing?

What's the best wireless charging thing?

Some gaffers posted their start screens in the WP8 OT and here's a site where people share their setups mytil.es

Looking at my mother's Lumia she has a small row with phone, mail, messages and then like a page length full of just pinned people and groups.

If you just want to charge the device you can look for the cheapest Qi charger you can find. Some time ago the Energizer Qi was sold at a good price. There aren't that many Qi chargers yet and the Nokia ones are a bit pricey. They should all work well, though.

Hey guys,

does anyone have the problem to connect the HTC 8X to the computer? It worked fine on Saturday but now it won't show up and I cannot access the files. Is that a well-known problem?

kharma45

Some HTC 8S reviews starting to come in, pretty positive for the most part!

The Verge - 7.0

HTC has done a great job with the 8S aesthetically. I've tested a variety of Windows Phone 8 devices recently and this is easily the best looking of the bunch. The lightweight frame makes this especially appealing, and a 4-inch display is a sweet spot for one handed use on this device as well as making it generally comfortable to use. The two-tone color scheme is a unique and welcomed twist to this particular device and it's something I'd like to see on other HTC devices in the future. HTC has now proved it can make some great looking Windows Phone 8 devices.

Unfortunately, this beautiful body is let down behind the brains of the operation. A lack of forward facing camera will be disappointing for those wishing to capture photos on this device, as will the existing 5-megapixel rear shooter. Coupled with such a small amount of storage space, these specifications make the 8S more disappointing than at first glance. There are also some odd touch / performance issues here that HTC and Microsoft will need to address as soon as possible.

Although it has its faults, the price of the 8S makes this device particularly compelling to those considering a budget smartphone this holiday season. Disappointingly, the 8S is "not currently planned" for the US market according to HTC. In the UK it's available in contract form or as a pay as you go device for just £180 ($290). Similarly priced phones include Samsung’s Galaxy Ace 2, HTC’s Desire X, and Sony’s Xperia P. At this price it's easy for me to recommend this as a device for people who don’t need much from their phone, but want the functionality of a smartphone. If you're after a decent camera phone, though, then there's plenty of other options out there and HTC's 8X would serve you well. The apps might be lacking on Windows Phone, but it’s a solid OS for those that don’t care about them and the 8S is a great companion in that sense.

Know Your Mobile

You can pick up an HTC 8X for just £180 offline. That’s a fantastic price for a phone that looks and feels better than any Android device below £240. When you consider that we’re talking about the Google Nexus 4 - an anomalously value-centric device - it just goes to show how great a package the HTC 8S actually is.

There are a few issues though. For starters, stability isn’t as good as we’d like and certainly isn’t up there with other Windows Phone 8 handsets. Hanging menus is not something we’d expect to see from HTC or Windows Phone.

In saying that, as a value proposition, the HTC 8S is still undeniably easy to recommend. It represents the sublimation point at which incredible design meets a strong screen, impressive camera and cohesive, user friendly UI.

Will it be for everyone? No. We’ve discussed the limitations of Windows Phone in detail and these will be the enough to put many off making the leap.

If however you’re looking for an easy to use, fully featured smartphone, but don’t want to spend much and aren’t too fussed about apps and games, the 8S is without a doubt the one to go for.

TechCentral

HTC has, once again, made an excellent device. The 8S feels like a premium smartphone, yet without the premium price tag. It’s aesthetically pleasing, feels great in the hand and offers almost all of the functionality of higher-end devices. It deserves to sell in droves.

Coldsnap

stupid question but how do i change between active apps on this phone? Sometimes it pops up and i can slide between things that are open, but i have no clue how i did this

Friggz

Im not sure if this is the appropriate place for this question, but id rather ask here first than start a new thread.

I bought my wife an 8X for christmas, she had it 4 days before she dropped it and broke the screen, i was able to find a replacement screen online for about 40 bucks, but i have no idea how to take this thing apart as there are no seams on the phone.

My googling is either really rusty or nobody has had to replace a screen yet so there are no guides for it, so im turning to you guys.

Does anyone have the phone and know how to open it up? Any help would be appreciated.

jgkspsx

I spent a lot of time looking at the 8X (in "yellow"/chartreuse) and the 920 at the store today, and... as far as the physical design goes, I think this is a lot more attractive and pleasant to hold. Maybe it's just because the 920 doesn't look right in black or white, and that's all stupid AT&T is selling.

Never really been a fan of HTC, but I'm thinking about this. Any impressions from those who have had one for a while? How does it stack up to the 920?

frontieruk

I spent a lot of time looking at the 8X (in "yellow"/chartreuse) and the 920 at the store today, and... as far as the physical design goes, I think this is a lot more attractive and pleasant to hold. Maybe it's just because the 920 doesn't look right in black or white, and that's all stupid AT&T is selling.

Never really been a fan of HTC, but I'm thinking about this. Any impressions from those who have had one for a while? How does it stack up to the 920?

will be a fantastic phone once its on the latest update, only places the 920 has an advantage OEM app support Nokia leads the way, video + audio recording and low light photography, the HTC owns for a mp3 player though shame they only put 16gig in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom