• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Controller Kickstarter (Play old school systems with Wii or PS3 Controllers)

catabarez

So I've been following this member on CheapAssGamer for a while because this is something he has been working on since the beginning of the year and now he made a Kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1604893288/awesome-controller

They have actually had success with getting the Wii remote working on older systems and are testing out the PS3 controller now. These guys definitely need more exposure because I'm sure there are many people on GAF that want to play their older consoles without having to deal with all the wires.

Would you guys use something like this?

vazel

Banned
I would've loved something like this when I did all my classic gaming on actual consoles. But nowadays I use emulators on my PC because it's much more convenient.

catabarez

I would've loved something like this when I did all my classic gaming on actual consoles. But nowadays I use emulators on my PC because it's much more convenient.

That's true, but I don't much like emulation myself so this is pretty perfect for me :)

Skyzard

Banned
The video was okay...didn't see any final mockups just that big piece..? Solder your own for $75..seems a little steep. Oh I see $85 for pre-built one. Still .. nice idea but too much for me. Especially since I'll want like 5 $10 dongles to go with it :p Awesome though yep.

Although if you had them all set up and connected, you'd save a lot of controller space..

Mlatador

Banned
This would be much cooler if they invented an adapter with multiple connectors for old skool systems on which you can hook up modern day arcade sticks.

jbueno

This would be much cooler if they invented an adapter with multiple connectors for old skool systems on which you can hook up modern day arcade sticks.

Indeed. Plus, I don´t want to play old systems with new controllers, I want to play with my old controllers in new systems, particularly Wii VC.

catabarez

Indeed. Plus, I don´t want to play old systems with new controllers, I want to play with my old controllers in new systems, particularly Wii VC.

No one wants a wireless solution to their older consoles? I've been waiting for something like this forever.

I'm the opposite of their target customer. I go out of my way - especially with emulation - using Retrode and USB adapters to play using original controllers. I would never want to use a DualShock on a N64.

Games are programmed around the original controller. The curve of a corner on Mario Kart 64 is tuned to the response of that analog stick. Playing with a DualShock just feels... wrong. I've discovered this the hard way when exploring emulation.

Good luck to them though.

Chairhome

Don't want to hate, but what they're doing is pretty simple with a little know how. Seems like they're just wiring according to the pinouts, then writing some simple blue tooth code to accept the inputs as the retro inputs. $70 gets you a non assembled kit? That is more than it would cost for parts.

jbueno

No one wants a wireless solution to their older consoles? I've been waiting for something like this forever.

Wireless is nice for RPGs and slow paced games, but I´m too sensitive to input lag for shmups and fighting games, and no wireless tech is going to beat good old cord.

klausbert

Pfft, i have one of these:
kNhIq.jpg

I don't need that!

chiablo

Generally, the inverse is preferred. I think everyone can agree that old school controllers have a superior D-Pad compared to the PS3 and XBox controller. Other than ergonomics and wireless, I cannot see a single reason why I would want to play an NES using an XBox 360 controller.

KissVibes

Banned
Ignoring the fact that this is stupid product, on the basis of that video alone, I will not kickstart this. Terrible.

I'm surprised that they got over a $1,000 with such an unwanted product. Something tells me they kicked themselves a good portion of that amount to drum up some excitement. You'd think after the two week mark of nobody giving a shit they would've canceled the project.

Orayn

The Technomancer and I almost started working on a project like this, actually, though wired and a lot simpler. I spent hours trying to figure out the protocol used by the NES controller because we were going to start from the beginning and work our way forward...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Generally, the inverse is preferred. I think everyone can agree that old school controllers have a superior D-Pad compared to the PS3 and XBox controller. Other than ergonomics and wireless, I cannot see a single reason why I would want to play an NES using an XBox 360 controller.

Good thing, because you couldn't. This only supports Wii and PS3 controllers, probably because the proprietary 360 wireless tech is too tough/illegal to crack.

I have a hard time believing this would work very well. It's always better to play console games with the controllers they were designed for, especially older ones. I have occasionally wanted to use an SNES or a Saturn controller on modern systems; I have never wanted to use a PS3 controller on an old one.

Eusis

I'd mainly just want a GC controller with N64 games to be honest. In fact, the N64 and Saturn are the main reasons I'd even want this, don't want to use anything but the NES or SNES controllers with those systems, and I never got the good Saturn controller while my 3D one got screwed up.

Alfredo

There are already modern wireless solutions for SNES controllers, though I don't know if they're any good.

What I really want is a way to use my wired 360 arcade stick on an SNES. I recently got a Super Famicom and the Sailor Moon fighting game, and I want to main Sailor Uranus. Problem is that she's a grappler and doing 360s on an SNES d-pad is kinda hard.

sorry but not really, part of the charm is to play through those games with the original controls. it would feel like an emulator if i would play Desert Strike on a dualshock instead of that mushy genesis pad! :D

Those tiers sure are something.

Really.

There are already modern wireless solutions for SNES controllers, though I don't know if they're any good.

What I really want is a way to use my wired 360 arcade stick on an SNES. I recently got a Super Famicom and the Sailor Moon fighting game, and I want to main Sailor Uranus. Problem is that she's a grappler and doing 360s on an SNES d-pad is kinda hard.

Sounds like what you need is a Cthulhu or TE Kitty PCB with an RJ-45 mod. I think the Cthulhu requires soldering, but if you have a Mad Catz TE stick, you can get the Kitty in your stick and get away with maybe drilling a hole for the RJ-45 slot.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/official-kitty-class-boards-thread.129829/

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/t.46572/

Platy

Almost a QUINTUPLE post !

I'm more excited for something that lets me play cube and wii with a controler actualy made for fighting games like the saturn one and not the oposite

elektrixx

Banned
I'm not sold. If I had one I'd only use the Dual Shock 3 on older PlayStations. Original controllers are very important to the experience.

This ships to the US only.

A cool idea... it'd definitely be something fun to code but I dunno how I feel about playing platformers, shmups, action games, etc.

There will be lag for sure which will fuck you up.

Not sure if a game such as mega man would play better on a controller that isn't an SNES one.

I'd say this is only good for turn based RPGs or slow games.

Top Bottom