• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with an absolutely HORRIBLE UI. Pics!

FINALBOSS

Banned
I'm a huge Silent Hill fan, played through 2-3 (even on the abysmal SH HD collection for PS3). Picked up Downpour and the god damned journal is used for EVERYTHING--including the map. It's just horrible.

ecc2037f96-silent-hill-downpour-xbox-360-92990.jpg

I'm guessing Skyrim will get quite a few nods as well.

Assassin's Creed III's UI is terrible.

It's not only bad, it's a massive step back from previous games.

tumblr_mbi1lztW5G1r3dqzgo1_500.png

A SEPARATE SCREEN FOR THE WEAPON WHEEL FOR NO REASON

FaidSint

zsuMd.jpg

Biggest waste of 30 dollars ever, you can't even pick items up. The sole reason I stopped playing this game. Well.. that and it ran like crap on my computer.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
PlayStation All-Stars thread? PlayStation All-Stars thread.

Blandest menus ever.

Pretty much. There's nothing dynamic about them. The main menu is so incredibly boring. Nothing about the UI is exciting in any way. It's a shame, too, because the game is actually quite a lot of fun.

LiK

this. they also added too many steps when navigating the Animus database. Also, WHY DO WE NEED TO HOLD LB (on 360) TO OPEN THE ASSASSIN MENU? Just make it a click. It makes no sense.

Ryce

PlayStation All-Stars thread? PlayStation All-Stars thread.

Blandest menus ever.
I don't know -- a bad UI and a bland UI are two different things to me. All-Stars' menus aren't much to look at, but they're functional and get the job done.

All of the Madden games from the last 7 years. All of them. The menus are horrible, inconsistent, and items are burried behind bizarre loading/new screen walls.

NCAA Football's main menus are terrible, but their "game mode" menus are very clear and make sense. I don't know why Madden insists on having such terribly not useable menus. They aren't ugly, they look clear, but they are clunky hidden messes. This year's Connected Careers menu is the worst menu that the Madden team has ever put into one of those modes. Useful items are buried, useless items are given prominence, and ti makes managing a league very, very time consuming.

For the unawares, everything useful is under "More" and then a sub-navigation from there. Want "standings?" yeah like the key thing you actually want to check each week? More -> My League. Schedule? You have to go to like More -> Teams -> click on a team to view the schedule. Want to see if players have finished their gameS? More -> My League -> Teams. And it takes for ever for these to load... you also have to use the Right stick to navigate these menus... the RIGHT stick, and there is a noticeable delay when going from menu to menu.

God this thing sucks. It's one reason I've almost given up on madden's connected careers. Such a fucking pain to manage. The information on this screen in the screenshot is also sub-level info which is kind of useful, you have to navigate to it to take action. It's such a pain in the ass. The only thing that's worse is the website interface... which gives you NO useful information at all and hides anything of use.

zsuMd.jpg

Biggest waste of 30 dollars ever, you can't even pick items up. The sole reason I stopped playing this game. Well.. that and it ran like crap on my computer.

It's not great... but once you figure it out it makes perfect sense and is sort of cool. The whole opening your backpack etc. was a bit confusing at the start.

dat Wii U advantage for real time weapon change.
*disclaimer* I haven't played Assassin's Creed 3 or genji 2.

Is this about UI funtionality, UI aesthetics, or both?

I thought it was going to be about ugly HUDs so I was ready to post Ocarina of Time, but it doesn't seem to be going in that direction.

nemesun

Oh god, PlayStation All-Stars menus are barf inducing. I had a displeasure of trying the Vita version and felt I was transported back to the early 90s. Who approved that colossal pos!

As bad as Halo 4's menu UI is(which somehow manages to be worse then the UI invented for Halo 2 in back in 200-FUCKIN'-4, a huge step back in organization, information, and flat-out usability)...Playstation All-Stars UI look like it was made by one guy who had to quickly throw together some pre-set templates and stock colors in the span of a hour.

Bgamer90

Banned
PS Battle All-Stars Royale UI reminds me of Windows XP... just really bland, basic, and lifeless. Looks like something from 10-15 years ago.

Zeppelin

Can't speak about the functionality of it since I haven't played the game... but Planetside 2s UI looks like shit.

BiggNife

NBA 2K13

943494034e51beb7059ee6921ac9bb4e08c7d4f3png__620x348_q85_crop_upscale.jpg

Tacky, stereotypical hip-hop, "Pimp My Ride" gold just because Jay-Z helped with the game.
I haven't played the game, but judging by the GiantBomb quick look it looked clunky and unintuitive as all hell.

The PSASBR UI is ugly but at least it's easily navigable.

Raxus

As someone mentioned earlier this year. Modern Warfare 2's UI is a mess. Dunno how BOII turned out.

Too much shit going on.

F6ZId.jpg

I don't know -- a bad UI and a bland UI are two different things to me. All-Stars' menus aren't much to look at, but they're functional and get the job done.

They are barely functional. Any menu that requires more than the analog, X and O is a mess.

Great game once you get past the awful, horrible presentation.

I don't find that PSABRMRGM menu offensive, it's uninspired and not flashy in the slightest, but not wrong looking.
They are barely functional. Any menu that requires more than the analog, X and O is a mess.

Great game once you get past the awful, horrible presentation.

Oh do you have to press start to register or something weird? I can't remember what I did in the beta.

Top Bottom