• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with an absolutely HORRIBLE UI. Pics!

see5harp

PS Store looks really nice and snazzy but it's a lot slower to actually use. COD has one of the worst looking in game UI's but it is usable. Halo 4 looks great and minimal but hiding stuff like matchmaking select and requiring a button press to see who is online actually makes things harder.

LiK

Mass Effect 1 UI for 360 was pretty atrocious particularly the inventory management.

mass_pt2_equip.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oblivion and Skyrim suffers from this.

I don't find that PSABRMRGM menu offensive, it's uninspired and not flashy in the slightest, but not wrong looking.

Just wait til you select characters. It's pretty annoying when you pick opponents.

edgefusion

PS Battle All Stars isn't horrible or bad, it's just bland. For a game that should be all about exuberance and excitement it's drab as hell.

see5harp

I don't mind the Halo 4 UI honestly.

I don't think it's bad because it does give more shine to the customization, but I thought Reach was 10x more usable at a glance. In game I think all of the Halo games are great. I agree with Skyrim also. Plays decent enough with a gamepad and I prefer the minimal look to the crazy mishmash approach in the previous Elder Scrolls games.

I don't find that PSABRMRGM menu offensive, it's uninspired and not flashy in the slightest, but not wrong looking.

Oh do you have to press start to register or something weird? I can't remember what I did in the beta.

There's a separate menu that you can only access using the triggers.

jayb

BF3 loadout screen.

I can't stand that I can only view one weapon at a time. At least the in-game loadout screen shows a grid of weapons.

41FjV.jpg

these PSBR mentions are weird to me.
Yeah they are bland as all hell. I mean I'm a big lover of the game and I can admit the UI is super bland with no personality but you can't say it's not functional.

It gets me to the match and all options are easy to follow.

FINALBOSS

Banned
I think it should be about functionality.

Morrowind has an amazing interface, though its nothing special to look at. Oblivion looks nicer but is utter shit.

Ya, I was going more towards functionality.

Like the AC3 one is a perfect example...an entire screen just for a weapon wheel. What a joke.

That actually looks much better than it did when I played it.

Haha yup. I must've played an earlier build too because that looks way better than what I was used to. Still pretty shitty though, although the game more than makes up for it in my eyes. Would love to start playing again if I didn't have school...

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
MOrrowid and Oblivion what a mess.

lol at the NG3 vertical text

Dude, Morrowind's menu system was amazing. How you could access all the important stuff on one screen with one click AND you could resize all the sub-menus to your liking. Hells yeah.

ghibli99

Aesthetically, Chrono Trigger (iOS) is terrible:

6915chronotriggeren06.jpg

High-resolution, generic text over muddy, upscaled SNES graphics. I really wish devs would take some time to actually match the styles up better.

Perkel

Banned
I don't understand what I'm looking at here.

This room is UI. From weapon room to treasury.

But it is at the same time stupid because it was actually functional and it was working well. You hardly need to use that room in first place.

Fable 3 is a long game and i don't remember at all making any complain about UI.

Recall

Horrible UI for I is when it's confusing, makes the game a chore to play and isn't intuitive. Bland UI is nothing to make a big deal out of, simple sometimes works best.

mrpeabody

All you have to do to make a great interface is:
- Make the most common tasks the easiest to get to
- Make it fast

Especially the speed. The UI needs to respond as fast as possible, and buffer inputs when it can't keep up. Even a half-second delay so you can do your cool SWOOSH effect is too much in something you need to access constantly.

I don't care how it looks. Just get those two things right and you're ahead of 75% of what's out there.

Top Bottom