• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with an absolutely HORRIBLE UI. Pics!

antitrop

The Playstation Battle Royale ones look pretty bad, but I don't think this is good either.

supersmashbrosbrawl-2.jpg
I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Maybe it could be improved by hiding all character name text boxes until you highlight that character with the cursor.

Perkel

Banned
Oh Skyrim UI is serious crime against gamer. Mostly because each potion weapon and everything is not grouped.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I uninstalled the PlayStation All Stars beta shortly after getting to the character select screen. Never before has a UI done that.

I don't even know how to explain my hatred for it. It's just...everything I don't want, on the TV.

Plumpman

Yeah as bland and bleh as the PS All-Stars UI is, it's also very fast and gets me into the game in less than 1 minute with no fiddling around.

Camp Lo

Banned
This room is UI. From weapon room to treasury.

But it is at the same time stupid because it was actually functional and it was working well. You hardly need to use that room in first place.

Fable 3 is a long game and i don't remember at all making any complain about UI.

Same. It was pretty fun to switch to that and interact with gifts and I could bring friends into the menu. It was awesome actually

Speevy

Banned

Maybe it could be improved by hiding all character name text boxes until you highlight that character with the cursor.

The problem I've always had with it is that it has all these little instances of players saying "No, he's not on your team!", "No, I don't want that stage!", and "No, you gave me no health."

In other words, it's extremely easy to change the wrong thing, especially if you're playing with little kids.

But more to the point, it's just a huge collection of squares and portraits of the competing fighters. That seems pretty standard for fighting games. The alternative is animated fighters or changing the orientation of the squares, I guess.

Yeah as bland and bleh as the PS All-Stars UI is, it's also very fast and gets me into the game in less than 1 minute with no fiddling around.

I don't have a problem with the blandness, in fact the less chrome the better. But all those nested menus, the extra loading screens, the character selection, the invites sub menu, etc. Those are badly designed menus from a purely functional point of view.

I'm Ok with them aesthetically.

Ty4on

I love Starcraft, but the UI is just horrible.
It's been updated, but the improvement was slim.

It's just really confusing. You have to click on menu to get to the options and when you're there:
Where the hell are the hotkeys? They're in a separate folder within menu, of course.

It's tough to explain without putting you in front of it, but you have to go into multiplayer and custom match to create a custom singleplayer match vs AI and to check your match history you have to click on the head to get on your profile. Why are they just icons without any text? The use of real estate is just horrid, as you can see 50% of the screen is used on a picture from where you are in the SP, WHY?

It works OK when you get used to it, but when I just started playing Starcraft 2 it was confusing as fuck. Starcraft 1 in comparison was much easier and much faster as you could use hotkeys (!) to navigate.

Forza 2 was also pretty bad. You had to go all the way back, into options and then you could watch replays T.T

antitrop

StarCraft 2's UI was great until a few months ago, then they fucked it all up.

You want to see a REALLY bad UI? Try booting up the Heart of the Swarm Beta.

So that how it looks when it finally loads...

FF XIV UI

Not only looks bad for it was incredible slow even with all the patches:

6tqeV.jpg

Oh man, and even screenshots don't show just how much of a clusterfuck that UI is during combat. I really cannot wait to see how the new UI handles compared to that atrocity.

As much as Halo 4's UI feels like a huge step back from Bungie's UI work (which was excellent) it isn't "bad" per se, and almost every example presented here thus far looks to be significantly worse than it.

No way that's real.
Darksiders on the OnLive mobile app. It didn't seem that ridiculous at the time because I was playing Darksiders on my phone for free.

Ridley327

No love for Deus Ex 2 yet?

Deus-ex-invisible-war-8.jpg

I always find it fascinating that the reason they went with the retinal layout for the HUD in IW was that they felt it would be more console friendly than using Deus Ex's setup, and yet they never thought to think about how good it actually looked, because it's so goddamn hideous and it obscures the on-screen action because of how tightly pulled in they decided to have it on the screen.

antitrop

All of BI's military sims have had god-awful UIs. I really hope its something they concentrate on for ARMAIII.
Do you remember what DayZ's UI looked like before this screenshot?

I DARE you to try to make heads or tails of that. I played a ton of DayZ and looking at it still gives me a headache. Easily the worst inventory I've ever used in a video game, personally. I'm sure worse are out there, but I haven't played them.

Ridley327

I can't really explain it with still screens, but my submission would be Guitar Hero: World Tour. Band play was a complete fucking disaster because the game goes out of its way to make it impossible to tell how well an individual player was doing and, conversely, how close they were to failing out. Also awful was the lyrics display for the singer, because instead of using the industry standard needle to keep track of how close you to being on pitch, they adopted this strange box setup that blocked out the pitches when you were on key and jumped around like someone going crazy with a pixel editor otherwise. And don't even get me started on the song selection menu...

Thankfully, they started to kinda get their shit together with Guitar Hero: Metallica, so GH:WT was a one-off in that regard, but it still boggles my mind how unbelievably poor it was, even without having Rock Band as a comparison.

antitrop

I take it that's the new interface, and it's replaced the original ARMA2 interface? That's what I meant by the mess.
No, the screenshot I posted is the old interface of DayZ from over the Summer. It's the worst inventory system I've ever had the misfortune of being forced to use.

I think the screenshot of the inventory posted by FaidSint is from a a new patch of DayZ, I haven't seen it before because I haven't played the game since it got dominated by hackers.

Acinixys

The new Medal of Honor is probably the worst ive ever seen. Its so convoluted and inconsistent. You can tell the game was blasted out by EA because they wanted to 1up CoD.

Deadly Premonition had awful, unclear menus as far as I could tell from watching it. In-game UI could have been worse though (exclusing the font,which was about as bad as it gets)

All of it added to the charm for me, though I don't think I'd have found it charming if I'd played through it

antitrop

The new Medal of Honor is probably the worst ive ever seen. Its so convoluted and inconsistent. You can tell the game was blasted out by EA because they wanted to 1up CoD.
Despite my GAF tag, I didn't really have any issues with the MoH UI.
I just hated absolutely fucking everything else about that game. The UI, I guess, would be like the last complaint I would be able to make about that pile.

Vi8yU.jpg

Look at that sexy black and blue gradient. 10 seconds in photoshop.
When I was in high school I had friends who did graphic design as a hobby that would be able to make something better than that in MSPaint. I can't even believe it would actually be that amateurish.

Look harder.
Count the fonts. Count the inconsistent art styles going on at once. Try to focus on what is important..can't. Design real estate a giant mess. Try to find proper information, have to search through the mess. And the mouse hand drag and drop functionality was a completely unnecessary gimmick that had absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the game or even with the design of the UI.

The playstation battle game's UI is lazy as hell. This one is a sloppy mess akin to COD4's.

Dumb to use maybe, but it does look pretty cool. In my opinion, it isn't horrible enough to be worthy of this thread.

Especially considering it was from the early days of the analog stick and dev's were still very much trying to figure out what worked.

Personally I agree with Halo 4. Great to look at, horrible to use.

antitrop

I have to make a special mention here that Planetside 2's UI is one of the most beginner unfriendly I've ever seen.

It's pretty complicated, I don't know if it's "bad", but it's definitely not simple or easy to understand in the first few hours you're playing.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yea nothing has ever come even *remotely* close to how indescribably awful Fable III's "UI" was.

There aren't enough languages on planet Earth to fully convey how very shit it is.

The sanctuary hub was a neat idea on paper, but poor in execution since everything took longer than it would be a traditional, menu based UI and the novelty of it wore off quickly.

It also has probably the worst map I've ever dealt with in a modern game. It doesn't show the player on the map, so there's no way of knowing which way you're pointing or which direction you should move in.

But hey, who needs a functional map when you have a golden trail leading you everywhere.

Top Bottom