• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fairy Bloom Freesia (PC/Steam) - Possibly the best beat 'em up of 2012

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Why? Because:
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdic80TYVc1qbh9o1.gif
(GIF speed increased for...uh, dramatic effect I guess? :lol)

Seriously, this might be one of the most underrated games of 2012 (well, it came out in Japan in 2011, but the English release was this year). It takes equal parts Tales, Guardian Heroes, and Smash Bros, and combines them for an awesome 2.5D arena-based beat 'em up with some light RPG elements (leveling, customizable skills, etc). The combat system also kinda reminds me of the really great DS games Griptonite made before they went under. Also, the boss fights are some of the most intense I've played in a long, long time. Seriously, if you like kicking the shit out of things, chaining together ridiculously long combos, and looking awesome while doing it, you'd do well to check this out. There's a demo on Steam, and the game is $3.99 until the 5th of January as part of the Holiday Sale.

Seriously, check it out!

Demo gameplay - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faJ0HAwh8EY
Steam store page - http://store.steampowered.com/app/214590/

EDIT: Removed IMG tags 'cause the gif is admittedly a bit distracting. :lol
EDIT2: Price corrected, thanks SAB CA!

I'm waiting for the last day of steam deals to pick this up. I really like messing around with the combat system in these types of games.

What's going on there?

Once upon a time, in a forest called Lita, there lived a sweet and innocent young fairy who protected the trees and creatures from golems and humans who would do them harm. Her name was Freesia and her fairy-fu was very, very strong !

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

vall03

more people need to get this and its cheap too! Its short but has a lot of replay value and plays quite similar to Tales games.

I bought it at release and while I haven't played much, I played enough to know that it's lots of fun. The missions where you have to protect the vortexes are really lame, though.

demidar

Are you kidding? Quarter circles are easy on keyboard! It's really just a matter of press S and D/A.

They are but then my hands tend to cramp up or get stuck in position. I've got nothing against using keyboards though, I finished Super Meat Boy using one.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Heh, so I just finished the Story Mode a few minutes ago. The last boss was actually pretty easy since I had my Strength Up ability pretty highly leveled. Once you beat it, you unlock Guardian Mode, which adds a good bit of replayability (Start at Lv. 1, 99 stages, intermissions after a set number of in-game "days" instead of after every one). I'll definitely be playing this mode quite a bit. :D

(There's also a New Game+ feature, as well. And an additional difficulty that unlocks once you finish Story Mode.)

Durante

This game actually has really nice, solid mechanics. It's quite bare-bones beyond that, but well worth the asking price.

Does this game lock you into some abnormally small resolution?
It does, it only goes up to 1920x1080.

Random screenshot:
fairybloomfreesia-2017wogs.png

KDR_11k

I tried the demo but not being able to get decent keybinds on a QWERTZ keyboard (compared to a QWERTY the Y and Z keys are swapped and Y isn't bindable in this game) turned me off.

I've been rather curious about this. I forgot there was a demo; I guess I'll try it out eventually.

Hurry up and get Magical Drop V

EDIT: Oh, it's $3.99? Perfect! I have $4.13 or so in my wallet, and have been going crazy about what to possibly get. Will consider this.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Actually, the game is $3.99, as it's full price is $8.00. (I see Dragonlife caught that too!)

I picked this up along with the fantastic Holiday sale price for Fortune Summoners. Both such great games!

The way Freesia's combat opens up is a plesant surprise to me, and I really have to say it's underlying systems are among the best of the genre. Air dash / guard / attack cancelling flows very well, and the special moves are made with the perfect AoE ranges to do what you want them to do, and pretty much everything seems useful, and well thought out. There's not much useless padding, if any, and it's a stronger game for it. Smashing enemies into each other effortlessly is great fun!

The art is solid and charming, and the story feels like just the right amount of preachy / minor thought provoking situations, without being overdone. (Makes me think of an anime Fern Gully, actually...) And many of the move and achievement names just have to make one smile (I'm partial to Akira's "Tetsuzankou", and the "Endless Waltz" achievements, for example.)

The only think it's missing for my taste is local co-op, but that's easily forgiven in this case.

Just a classy, solid game, well worth the time one would spend with it.

Totally playing with an Xbox360 controller, and glad to see the button config is "the good kind", which I guess is ridiculously common on PC, ha.

Magical Drop, Fortune Summoners, and Magical Drop V (with most likely a side of Orcs must Die 2!) have made my non-PC gaming side quite satisfied this year, with Steam's sales...

Dambrosi

Banned
Still no 16:10, and a pretty severe lack of resolutions. Damn playing on a 1440 x 900 monitor sucks sometimes.
...there's an aspect ratio slider on the options page, you can select 16:10 resolutions from there. Rocking a 1680x1050 gogglebox here, works fine.

As for the game, I bought it a couple of days ago, along with Ether Vapor. So far I prefer Freesia a little bit, though we'll see how that goes. Needless to say, though, it's nowhere close to Devil May Cry 4, which is available for ridiculously little money right now on GMG with a code, so if you can only get one spectacular combo-based beat-'em-up for your PC in the next few days, give Capcom and GMG your loose pocket change. I can't imagine anyone's that poor, though, so just get both. You won't regret buying Freesia, trust me.

Lain

This game has been on my wishlist for a while and I plan to grab it, though I'll wait until the end of this winter steam sale to buy it to see if it comes up as a daily deal.

...there's an aspect ratio slider on the options page, you can select 16:10 resolutions from there. Rocking a 1680x1050 gogglebox here, works fine.

As for the game, I bought it a couple of days ago, along with Ether Vapor. So far I prefer Freesia a little bit, though we'll see how that goes. Needless to say, though, it's nowhere close to Devil May Cry 4, which is available for ridiculously little money right now on GMG with a code, so if you can only get one spectacular combo-based beat-'em-up for your PC in the next few days, give Capcom and GMG your loose pocket change. I can't imagine anyone's that poor, though, so just get both. You won't regret buying Freesia, trust me.

Aspect ratio only deals with it natively, you cant actually get 16:10 resolutions.

Tizoc

Magical Drop, Fortune Summoners, and Magical Drop V (with most likely a side of Orcs must Die 2!) have made my non-PC gaming side quite satisfied this year, with Steam's sales...

Said games would work fine on consoles, you want PC games you go play Chivalry, Civilization V or FTL.
Besides all the games you mentioned are 2D games, you're cheating!

Abandond

How do I go to keyboard control? It defaults to a controller that I don't even have plugged in.

Edit: Also, esc closing out the game is driving me crazy.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Said games would work fine on consoles, you want PC games you go play Chivalry, Civilization V or FTL.
Besides all the games you mentioned are 2D games, you're cheating!

I'd buy them on console if / when I get the chance, trust me! There's quite a lot of stuff I don't like with PC gaming overall, and it's very rare that a trailer or anything for newer PC games temps me towards it, more than consoles...

I love PC's more "open platform" nature... that's really about it.

Maybe I'd get a gaming PC if they released Hundred Swords HD, lol. (Naa, I'd wait for the console version!)

...Magicka was pretty cool.

I'd be more interested if it didn't look like it wasn only in confined arenas, but other than that I think it looks great.

The confined areas really help with the focus of the game itself though, which is the well-developed combat engine.

If the areas were side-scrolling stages, the air juggling would be harder to land, as you'd rarely reach corners. And Freesia is built as an "Aerial Rave" character, with a large majority of her special attacks being air-only.

And then the Vortex Protection elements are all focused on the idea of space control, and corraling the enemies away from those points. I guess they could have made these larger, and added more of a wave-approaching aspect to the game, but it wouldn't really add much to what's there now.

Durante

I don't think it's a button masher at all. You need to adequately control positionng and use combos if you want to survive the later levels.

Top Bottom