• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fairy Bloom Freesia (PC/Steam) - Possibly the best beat 'em up of 2012

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I think we should start calling FPS games "Trigger Mashers". All you do is hit the same button over and over again to shot, move around, and then shoot some more!

(I don't think the Story and Dialogue are "really poor" either...)

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I think we should start calling FPS games "Trigger Mashers". All you do is hit the same button over and over again to shot, move around, and then shoot some more!

I think we should start calling things like this "opinions", but I'll take you up on it. In FPS at least you have to aim, not just mash buttons and hit every monster on screen even if your eyes are closed. The game is also extremely short if anyone is wondering (I finished it with 111 minutes played). I have no idea why anyone would want to replay it since those were some of the most repetitive minutes of my life.

KDR_11k

"Head clickers"

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Supporting Doujin Action games

Gotta make more than STGs eventually

game is pretty fun to boot

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I think we should start calling things like this "opinions", but I'll take you up on it. In FPS at least you have to aim, not just mash buttons and hit every monster on screen even if your eyes are closed. The game is also extremely short if anyone is wondering (I finished it with 111 minutes played). I have no idea why anyone would want to replay it since those were some of the most repetitive minutes of my life.

I just dislike taking something that's well-made, and distilling it to such simple terms. (Oh, and if it needs be said, my comment was sarcastic about FPS, lol). Just seems like a disservice. The game has a rather well developed combat engine, and using a term that basically says "Forget all that, just mashing on the buttons! THE RESULTS ARE THE SAME EITHER WAY!" just seems kinda shallow.

You really can't close your eyes and play this game, especially after the enemies start shooting projectiles, though. And if one is trying to play the game to it's fullest (getting the best juggles, keeping vortexes from being damaged, avoiding damage, etc), you really have to stay on your toes, and react to things swiftly. Projectile speeds, cancel timing, and the strict linking of special attacks to mostly airborne movement, all work together to give them game a nice rhythm.

As far as playing again.. well, unlockable modes and difficulties sound like a good thing! Truthfully, though, I often have more fun with games like this, than many more complex, more "developed" games. The somewhat scripted, impersonal experience of shooters leaves something to be desired, to me, compared to an always-personally-in-action fist-fighting game.

Yet I can still easily see why a person could find such an experience endlessly fun and exciting, because I myself have times when I'm looking for different responses from games. A "Boom *quiet... CaTHUNK!* Headshot!" can be just as satisfying as "Jump Fierce, crouch x2 MP Link, MK link xx qcf x2 Fierce!"

"Head clickers"

Yup, perfect! It's not like anyone AIMS anywhere else in those games, and even if they do, the enemies aren't generally animated / scripted in ways that respond to it properly! (My biggest Pet Peeve with most shooters...)

Supporting Doujin Action games

Gotta make more than STGs eventually

game is pretty fun to boot

Yup, truly. As much as people speak ill of Beat-em-ups and Sidescrolling action, they seem to be among the hardest things for independent developers to make. So whenever I see one being made, I take interest... much more if the game is actually well-developed under the hood. That's not the easiest thing to get right in games, and as many times as I've seen big companiest make pacing or attack box problems that leave on thinking "How could they think THIS is a good idea!?!", it's really impressive when small studios get the nuanced details right.

Tain

Got pumped from the thread title, got bummed out from the game's description.

Why can't anybody try to make arcade-style games in this genre anymore?

chixdiggit

Instantly turned off by the cute little Japanese girl noises that are on constant blast. Can you disable her voice?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, truly. As much as people speak ill of Beat-em-ups and Sidescrolling action, they seem to be among the hardest things for independent developers to make. So whenever I see one being made, I take interest... much more if the game is actually well-developed under the hood. That's not the easiest thing to get right in games, and as many times as I've seen big companiest make pacing or attack box problems that leave on thinking "How could they think THIS is a good idea!?!", it's really impressive when small studios get the nuanced details right.

Yep. ALOT of work goes into to designing a good combat engine, and as a fan fighting and action combat games my wallet is always open to supporting successful attempts. Especially from independent studios/Doujin Circles like Edelweiss here with Freesia.

I just wish I had more time to play it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Got pumped from the thread title, got bummed out from the game's description.

Why can't anybody try to make arcade-style games in this genre anymore?

Eh, this really isn't "un" arcadey, though; earning moves in this game is more akin to Battle Circuit's special move purchasing, in that you already have decent abilities before starting.

I understand how you feel, but in this day and age, I'm less agitated about the existance of lite RPG elements, and more agitated by poorly implimented ones. Freesia hands it's large movelist well.

What are the runner ups it possibly beats?

Double Dragon Neon? Fist Puncher if it makes it out in a few hours? Abobo's Adventure? *shrug*

Instantly turned off by the cute little Japanese girl noises that are on constant blast. Can you disable her voice?

No idea, I never look for voice down stuff. I can say her voice isn't really annoying or overdone though; It's more like playing an SNES game, where the sounds were just used to show the character was alive, rather than constantly trying to prove how cute the character is with overly obnoxious sounds.

Yep. ALOT of work goes into to designing a good combat engine, and as a fan fighting and action combat games my wallet is always open to supporting successful attempts. Especially from independent studios/Doujin Circles like Edelweiss here with Freesia.

I just wish I had more time to play it.

Yup, much agreed. With all the indie games that can't get things like jumping, button press timing, double-taps, or enemy hitstun / feedback right, it really makes the games that nail all these elements stand out strongly.

As far as time issues, at least it's stage design style makes it so it's easy to get a few minutes in every once in a while; I like this about it's arena-like design.

This is one thing I used to love about the early XBLA games; they only lasted long enough to tell their stories in the week-span between Wednesday releases, but they had gameplay and additional modes that made them worth revisiting, if you liked them enough. Freesia ultimately fits perfectly into that kind of space, and I'm quite happy for it.

RedSwirl

...there's an aspect ratio slider on the options page, you can select 16:10 resolutions from there. Rocking a 1680x1050 gogglebox here, works fine.

As for the game, I bought it a couple of days ago, along with Ether Vapor. So far I prefer Freesia a little bit, though we'll see how that goes. Needless to say, though, it's nowhere close to Devil May Cry 4, which is available for ridiculously little money right now on GMG with a code, so if you can only get one spectacular combo-based beat-'em-up for your PC in the next few days, give Capcom and GMG your loose pocket change. I can't imagine anyone's that poor, though, so just get both. You won't regret buying Freesia, trust me.

I tried the demo, and even after selecting aspect ratios, those were the only resolutions available. I had to play it in a letterboxed 1280 x 720.

Also, are all the levels just one-screen arenas?

Tain

Eh, this really isn't "un" arcadey, though; earning moves in this game is more akin to Battle Circuit's special move purchasing, in that you already have decent abilities before starting.

I understand how you feel, but in this day and age, I'm less agitated about the existance of lite RPG elements, and more agitated by poorly implimented ones. Freesia hands it's large movelist well.

It's really clearly not built with arcade design principles in mind. This is a game in which you pound out tons of obscenely long combos and juggle through lots of copies of the same enemy from infinite retry point to infinite retry point, resting to upgrade your character and save your progress. It's a 2D action game and all, but in no universe would I call this an arcade game.

The main character feels good to control and the aesthetics are nice, but the demo suggests that it's not a game I'll get into.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's really clearly not built with arcade design principles in mind. This is a game in which you pound out tons of obscenely long combos and juggle through lots of copies of the same enemy from infinite retry point to infinite retry point, resting to upgrade your character and save your progress. It's a 2D action game and all, but in no universe would I call this an arcade game.

The main character feels good to control and the aesthetics are nice, but the demo suggests that it's not a game I'll get into.

While I understand what you're saying, It does have element of an arcadey nature, though. Short Stages, a Linear focus, and gameplay as the star all are arcade-born traits. Infinite retry points are also really no different than "insert coin to continue", either. Add on a high-score mechanic, and it'd be pretty similiar in style to a more robust, combo-focused Snow Brothers, Booble Bobble, or Neo Geo's Nightmare in the Dark, really.

(Oh, and LoL at "lots of copies of the same enemies" not being an arcade trait... really? XD)

Noogy

I liked the art in this, but I didn't realize what kind of game it was until I saw the OP. Will definitely give it a try, being a fan of 2D combat platformers.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I liked the art in this, but I didn't realize what kind of game it was until I saw the OP. Will definitely give it a try, being a fan of 2D combat platformers.

I actually have given a few thoughts to how a longer, more horizontal-stage version of this would be very Dust-like. The aerial focus also ocassioanlly has me wanting to see Freesia pull off an aerial Dust Storm attack, but it never happens! :(

Noogy

I actually have given a few thoughts to how a longer, more horizontal-stage version of this would be very Dust-like. The aerial focus also ocassioanlly has me wanting to see Freesia pull off an aerial Dust Storm attack, but it never happens! :(

Hehe, yeah, I have the same problem playing any 2D action game... my own controls are so ingrained into my head. I'll definitely give this game a try soon, there needs to be more of these.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Hehe, yeah, I have the same problem playing any 2D action game... my own controls are so ingrained into my head. I'll definitely give this game a try soon, there needs to be more of these.

Thanks for sharing this "curse" with us, haha.

Offtopic, but my brother and I couldn't resist drawing a bit of Dust semi-fanart on the Miiverse, in reply to a picture of Lust (of FMA) I drew... a guy said she was hot, so we had to reply "BUT SHE HAS EVIL KNIFE HANDS! EVIL KNIFE HANDS!"... It just seemed so appropriate! Then an image of Fidget and Dust each were produced... first time I've ever taken a shot at artin' him:)

Will make sure to post the simple little things next time I do an image dump in the Miiverse Art thread.

Abandond

Game is really fun, decided to plug in my ps3 pad with motioninjoy and it works great. I have no idea what I'm doing but it does feel cool when you juggle someone in the air for over three seconds.

I just finished playing the demo of it and it was entirely on a single screen with 2 respawning enemy types. Is the rest of the game like this or is it just because it's a demo / tutorial area?

Top Bottom