• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm walking through Southern California

Status
Not open for further replies.

commedieu

Banned
I'd recommend maybe some pepper spray? or something.. maybe a taser? (You never know)
Keep us posted. Come down to santa monica/venice beach. Grab some drinks or something.

FStop7

Banned
You can walk along the coast from San Diego to LA. It's about 120 miles with about 3,000 feet of elevation changes according to the map I found for those who've done the trip by bicycle.

I'd recommend maybe some pepper spray? or something.. maybe a taser? (You never know)
Keep us posted. Come down to santa monica/venice beach. Grab some drinks or something.

Double edged sword - cops don't like transients in general and they especially don't like armed transients.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Maybe people don't realize this but California has large swaths of jack shit.

FStop7

Banned
Also, you're going to have fun walking through Long Beach and Oxnard.

And by fun I mean keep your eyes open.

Yeah, you probably want to stick near the coasts. SD to LA, especially, but I'm trying to figure out how you're gonna get though Camp Pendleton...

FStop7

Banned
Yeah, you probably want to stick near the coasts. SD to LA, especially, but I'm trying to figure out how you're gonna get though Camp Pendleton...

I wasn't sure about that either, so I looked it up. There's a route that cyclists use that does not involve getting on the 5.

http://www.tourofcalifornia.org/2008/07/los-angeles-san-diego.html

edit - actually it looks like Camp Pendleton may not be open to pedestrians, only cyclists. You should find out. If you have to bypass Camp Pendleton your walk is going to at least double in length and time.

Borgnine

So if you started 2 days ago where are you now? Can you turn on Latitude so we can see your progress/show the cops where your body is?

DemiMatt

1x20_Whistler%27s_Mother_(33).png

Quoted for size.

Borgnine

I've already learned a lot in a few days like: don't sleep on the beach.

You got swept out to sea didn't you. Some beaches, like in OC, close at certain time. Which I've always thought was bullshit, how you gonna close a beach.

So if you started 2 days ago where are you now?
Sitting at a Starbucks on La Jolla blvd in SD. Ritzy. I'm taking my time.

actually it looks like Camp Pendleton may not be open to pedestrians, only cyclists. You should find out. If you have to bypass Camp Pendleton your walk is going to at least double in length and time.

If that's the case ill likely just hitchhike through it. If there is a road for cyclists I have a feeling one guy walking can slip through.

Vesmir

Banned
Skip the Central Valley. It's full of cows, dried grass and little else. See if you can hitchhike through it, because walking through there is brutal.

Try couchsurfing.org, you can meet some cool people and discover different, less touristy places to check out.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
It's good that you have a sleeping pad at least, sleeping outdoors without one is fucking horrible. Make sure you always drink a lot of water, you never know when you're going to have to go without for a while. Although not overly palatable, pasta is edible uncooked and won't spoil. Lastly, don't stash anything in a cache you're not willing to lose.

alphaNoid

Banned
Walk PCH HWY1 from San Diego up through San Clemente/Laguna sound Orange County into Newport Huntington North Orange County then up through Santa Monica, then start running until you get to Santa Barbara .. then well then catch a bus to San Fran b/c there isn't shit to do from Santa Barbara to San Fran lol

If you come through Irvine during business hours let me know.

FStop7

Banned
If that's the case ill likely just hitchhike through it. If there is a road for cyclists I have a feeling one guy walking can slip through.

It's a military base. I don't recommend slipping through. Unless you want a free trip to Cuba.

Post up when you get to Malibu. I'll resupply you.

Vesmir

Banned
Enjoy your quest to recharge your Chi. You probably won't even make it to UC Irvine.

:lol :lol
I live in Arcata, the CA capital of transients and hippies, and this doesn't seem to be that case...but still, top comment.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I remember some guy on here a few years ago saying he was gonna do something similar across the country (i think). Anyone remember who that was?

It's a military base. I don't recommend slipping through. Unless you want a free trip to Cuba.

Post up when you get to Malibu. I'll resupply you.

I've been looking into it, and for that nine mile stretch its illegal to walk but there is a bike trail. Hitching that nine miles is prob my safest bet, although I've found stories of ppl walking through in the middle if the night. Doesn't seem worth the risk

and yes I realize I'm a bad cliche and deserve to be made fun of.

schmalz

Hike the PCT up to Altadena. I'll let you stay at my house for a night (PM me).

From LA, head up highway 1 and hit up the towns along the way. I'm not sure you realize how long of a trek you have, but good luck!

Maybe people don't realize this but California has large swaths of jack shit.

The drive to Yosemite from the Bay Area or from the Bay Area to LA is a lot of farm land -> farm land -> dry hills -> farm land -> complete bumfucknowhere -> farm land. Rinse repeat.

FStop7

Banned
The LA <-> SF drive is awesome on PCH if you're not in a hurry. It's absolutely gorgeous. But it's slow.

It would be a rough walk because of all the climbs and descents, not to mention dangerous.

LA <-> SF on the 101 is much nicer than the 5. Maybe 20 - 40 minutes longer but more interesting scenery. Less dust and bugs, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom