• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm walking through Southern California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman

Can't argue with the coastline, but you could hike up through San Gabriel valley. It's a steady ascent to the San Gabriel Mountains. You can tour the Huntington Library (fancy gardens/120 acres/museums) in Pasadena and walk down the Tournament of Roses Parade route on Colorado Blvd. (I hear you like walking).

So, do you not even use buses?

Rookje

Walking? Nobody walks in OC. Don't come near Irvine, or the police will think you're homeless and ship you to Santa Ana.

Wouldn't biking be better?
And don't get lost. It may seem that you're never leaving civilization but once in a while there's always a rescue of some hiker who got lost.
And don't understimate the climate. It can get below freezing easily. Especially once you go away from the cities.

I'd rather just camp out at like Joshua Tree or something.

Walking? Nobody walks in OC. Don't come near Irvine, or the police will think you're homeless and ship you to Santa Ana.

Irvine GAF checking in. This is truth. My friend volunteered for an article for the New University (UCI's school paper) and he dressed up like a bum and just kicked it in front of a Target in Irvine. Got harassed pretty badly until he took off his outfit and walked to his car and drove back to campus.

he's black

what about SB? =/

SB is a cesspool.

OP, skip your plan and just hop on a bus and go up north. The less time down south, the less time for your brain to rot into a vapid, shallow swamp. And the less time you spend in central CA, the less time for you to get addicted to meth or contract diabetes.

I've lived in those both of those parts of CA, and the prospect of walking through south and central CA is like Dante's voyage through the circles of hell.

This is starting to make sense.

arresteddevelopmentosca.jpg

Thx for the discussion and advice you don't know how helpful it is. I'm on the coast close to Torrey pines and no regrets so far. It's gorgeous.

And I used the word over educated in the OP. I suppose what I was referring to was book learnin vs going out and experiencing the world.

I hear what you guys are saying about OC and LA. Alternate route propositions are most welcome. I'm not as worried about Cen Cal being boring. I'm thinking of trying to get a ride share from LA area to Joshua Tree and back.

Tapiozona

Banned
Why don't you take pictures and post routes so we can share your experience while you live it?

I see so many of these traveling threads here and I think most of them are bullshit attention whoring. Yours seems legit so for once share it with us arm chair adventurers. I could never do what you're doing.

What do you guys know about highway15? Temecula? I'm considering skipping Pendleton, irvine all that BS coming into north LA from the east and making my way back to the coast.

Why don't you take pictures and post routes so we can share your experience while you live it?

I see so many of these traveling threads here and I think most of them are bullshit attention whoring. Yours seems legit so for once share it with us arm chair adventurers. I could never do what you're doing.

I would be willing to do a bit of this but I'm really new to smart phones and would have to learn to do all that on a phone

eucharis

Whaaaat SB isn't that bad.... Go to Rudy's but not the one on Main Street. Best nachos I have ever eaten. Their pine apple tamales are really good too. And if you go to any beach go to butterfly beach or pelican cove (idk if that's the right names for them) but the beach where all the tourists go by the peer is dirty dont swim there. Walking down state street is always fun, you should try and do that OP.

Is Oxnard really that dangerous? Just don't go near El Rio but I had a couple friends that lived there so idk if its that bad ( went trick or treating there was and got a lot of candy) so many people from so cal here.

Also when my dad came to visit he spent the night in camping ground near Ventura by the beach I'm on my phone right now so I can't really look it up but there's a lot of campers with tents there. Idk they slept in their car soooo might not be too safe..... Good luck though!

JDeluis

The Metro bus and rail lines in Los Angeles are $1.50. You can also purchase a Day Pass that includes a TAP card for $6 Total. It's only $5 when you reuse the Tap Card. Day passes are good till 3am. Transfers bought on Metro do not work on Metro Bus and rail lines. They are Metro-to-muni transfers.

The driver does not carry change. So have your money ready. If you need to ask a question wait till everybody who knows where they are going get on the bus first. If you need a specific address make sure you know the intersections. (ex. Wilshire and Fairfax, not 123 Wilshire)

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Op

Take a pic now!

R2D4

Banned
how are you where are you now? Is family worrying about you?

They are probably more worried about how they are going to pay off the OP's college debt since he is using his 3 majors to work on a hippy farm and walking up the Pacific coast.

DanteFox

SB is a cesspool.

OP, skip your plan and just hop on a bus and go up north. The less time down south, the less time for your brain to rot into a vapid, shallow swamp. And the less time you spend in central CA, the less time for you to get addicted to meth or contract diabetes.

I've lived in those both of those parts of CA, and the prospect of walking through south and central CA is like Dante's voyage through the circles of hell.

your mom is a cesspool.

Also OP it's pretty obvious you've never been to California because we drive here. Driving up the coast is great for the scenery and is great with friends.

They are probably more worried about how they are going to pay off the OP's college debt since he is using his 3 majors to work on a hippy farm and walking up the Pacific coast.

I actually got a full tuition scholarship and have no debt. :p

They are worried but supportive. I've got a bum ankle so haven't made it too far today. I'm in a place called del mar

Iceman

I actually got a full tuition scholarship and have no debt. :p

They are worried but supportive. I've got a bum ankle so haven't made it too far today. I'm in a place called del mar

next up: solano beach, encinitas*, carlsbad and oceanside. Walking past excellent real estate. I wish you good luck walking up the rest of the coast. Don't know how you're going to get past Camp Pendelton.

*Be sure to check out one of my favorite beaches: Moonlight State Beach.

crono152

I hope you've got a hat and some sunscreen. You definitely need some if you're going to be outside all day for days on end. Just remember that the sun doesn't care about your skin, so you should.

Cool I know exactly where that it, I used to live in San Diego. Just up ahead in that photo is the "Children's Pool" that seal have now taken over and are state protected.

But I digress. OP, have you decided to become a bum or go on adventures and walk the earth?

pulp_fiction_breakfast.jpg

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The LA <-> SF drive is awesome on PCH if you're not in a hurry. It's absolutely gorgeous. But it's slow.

It would be a rough walk because of all the climbs and descents, not to mention dangerous.

LA <-> SF on the 101 is much nicer than the 5. Maybe 20 - 40 minutes longer but more interesting scenery. Less dust and bugs, too.

101 to SF is a hell of a lot more than 20-40 minutes longer than the 5. Closer to two hours longer. It's an extra 50+ miles tacked on to the trip through narrower freeways and much more heavily trafficked areas.

No, as a cyclist you have to go through gates. Trying to sneak passed armed guards to a military base would be incredibly stupid.

Maybe he could ask said guards for advice on how/where to walk through the area. If all else fails maybe he could rent a bike.

Duderz

Banned
yeah like Oceanside and Riverside and Borgnineside

Fuck you frog! Oceanside is the only place I know of that has the welcome center right across the street from the local strip club.

Enjoy your trip, OP! Good luck passing Camp Pendleton though. :/

EDIT: Please don't walk along I-5 or I-15, that is a good way to get yourself killed.

So I taped up my ankle and walked the few miles from del mar to saloma beach. Along the way I ran into a coyote!

I also found a back road with dozens of orange trees! There were a couple on the ground so I grabbed em. I know it's someone else's property technically but they were on the ground and trust me they had plenty lol. Here is the only one left:

Now I'm in a McDonald's right off the freeway. Not sure where I'm gonna sleep tonight. I scouted out a good locale but likely wont try it again until much later, to make sure no one else sleeps there.

Hey, welcome to La Jolla! Too bad I'm not in town this week, man.

]where is that, exactly OP? Looks like Fletcher cove area. I'm on mobile, tho, can't quite make out the building[/spoiler]

Not sure why you spoilered that lol. It was some place named scripps park. Apparently the scripps family owns half of San Diego I saw the name everywhere today.

I asked this earlier, but does anyone know about I-15 going to temecula? I am in no rush and thinking if just going around Pendleton and avoiding southern/ central LA.

AMUSIX

Photos are awesome...that coyote one is very cool.

I wouldn't suggest manually resizing, but perhaps there's a setting on your phone to take a web-friendly image? Like 600x800?

AMUSIX

Oh, and on the question about the 15...personally, I'd stick to the coast as much as possible, because if a hot day hits, then the 15 can bake.

The other problem is that it would be adding a chunk of miles to the trip, since the 15 pushes north and east while the state moves west. From Oceanside to Van Nuys is about 100 miles directly. Pushing out to the 15, and up through Temecula and Corona, and then back across, adds about 40 miles to that.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Hah! So weird to see like five mentions of Oceanside on Neogaf. So hello to all you fellow Oceanside folk! Small world, I guess.

I feel like I should offer to buy you a coffee when you're passing through. That's gonna be a long walk up the coast. You don't realize how great a distance is until you start to walk it.

wondermega

greets fellow gaffer. I am in Hollywood, you're welcome if you need a couch to crash on for a night/shower/laundry. Hell I'll buy you a beer!

don't stab me :0

in all seriousness pm me if necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom