• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm walking through Southern California

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to know more about this cougar story. Did she see you walking down the road while driving in her Benz, and then said "get in" and took you for a nice dinner/sex while the husband was away on a business trip?

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Was (surprise) walking down highway 101 yesterday and got picked up by a 47 yr old cougar. She took me out to dinner, gave me the most unexpected sexual encounter of my life (I hadn't showered for three days!) And let me crash at her mansion in Carlsbad. Not bad.

Oh her? We call her Blue Line since she's given rides to everyone from Long Beach to Boyle Heights.

I actually started to realize this when I started taking more road trips around this state..

What's astounding to me is that the eastern half of California is mostly farmland/desert with low population, yet California is by far the most populous state in the Union and even has a greater population than all of Canada. I know something like 90% of Canada's population is within 100 miles of the US border, but I would also believe that ~90% of California's population is within 60 miles of the coast. ( Sacramento is 90 miles from the coast, but their population is < 500,000

shisno626

Neo Member
Go through Oceanside!
If walking from Carlsbad you can stick by Coast Highway and the beach.

Downtown has a nice pier and boardwalk. Lots of stuff to do and you'll be able to walk north up to the harbor.
I'd stay away from the OHS High School area (rougher part of town).

Other cities I recommend are Vista, Carlsbad, Encinitas, Irvine, Long Beach, Riverside.

Mew2

Neo Member
I love California and always will <3

Wish you had a camera and a blog I'd follow it

Say hi to my family in Pomona if you pass through...or my rich wife's in San Dimas

How many miles do you walk per day?

I've been averaging like 13. I'm not going at a fast pace, smelling the roses.

I want to know more about this cougar story. Did she see you walking down the road while driving in her Benz, and then said "get in" and took you for a nice dinner/sex while the husband was away on a business trip?

It started innocently enough. She saw all my gear and asked about what I was doing. She sympathized because she had a family member do a similar trip. Took me to her restaurant, ordered drinks for us and it snowballed.

Does her husband know that she's cheating on him or is it an open relationship?

Their marriage was sad. Separate bedrooms, she hadn't been laid in a year. Her husband had cheated on her,not an open relationship.

I was really happy about the spot I found to sleep last night and thought its be a good day to share. (Admittedly with crappy phone camera)

Here's the view before I went to sleep:
gI9npm4.jpg

When I woke up:

My sleeping set up:

If you are ever driving PCH near Dana Point, check out Green Lantern St for an amazing view

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
It used to be that you were allowed to walk through Camp Pendleton along the beach as long as you didn't go past the high tide line, barring amphibious exercises.
That may have changed since 9/11.
They'll probably just think you're off duty and bored and they will make you run go laps. If they weren't Marines, they'd be teaching PE.

drspeedy

Where were you when you got picked up? North County? North County is basically Cougar County. Everything north of La Jolla is essentially a massive hunting grounds.

Hahaha! Both sides of that coin, too. You have to know which bars/restaurants are Cougar Dens or Shark Tanks (or Man-thers, as I hear they're sometimes called) and avoid or patronize appropriately- North County has plenty of lonely business men just waiting out there. Jimmy O's is notorious for cougars, but sit at the bar at Poseidon for more than 5 minutes and I guarantee you'll see a dude in a suit attempting to buy a young woman a drink... then 20 minutes later either leave with her or start on the next young hottie, wash-rinse-repeat all night.

Glad to hear it's going well, OP. We hang out at Scripps from time to time with carry out playing guitar, a little north of where you took that picture. There's a great Korean place just up the hill, it's an awesomeway to watch the sun set. Hope you got a few pics of the seals.

I'm currently in Newport. I'm going to have to go further as there is nowhere to sleep here, way too busy. I've been going a while and need to recharge my phone (and myself).

Laguna was very nice and all the people were very rich. Newport is busier but I'm still walking by Ferrari dealerships. Watching people browse $95,000 cars like they were choosing what cereal to buy is a little surreal.

Might not be much interest in this but I'm going to update because I have time to kill.

Newport is def the shittiest place I've been so far. Huntington Beach is awesome, and from what I've seen of Long Beach I like.

It felt good to enter LA county

As long as it doesn't rain sleeping isn't a problem. I found Fred Flinstone's car and the water level from Half-Life 2:

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Might not be much interest in this but I'm going to update because I have time to kill.

Newport is def the shittiest place I've been so far. Huntington Beach is awesome, and from what I've seen of Long Beach I like.

As long as it doesn't rain sleeping isn't a problem. I found Fred Flinstone's car and the water level from Half-Life 2:

I don't really have anything in particular to say in response, but thanks for updating! Glad you're mostly enjoying OC/LA so far!

EloquentM

aka Mannny

It looks like relatively sunny days until Sunday (my weather won't go past that). Glad you're enjoying so cal. Have you gotten in and out yet?

Clydefrog

haha I work in Newport! as a GAFfer, you should have knocked on inxile's doors and see what they're up to

Kad5

I'm currently in Newport. I'm going to have to go further as there is nowhere to sleep here, way too busy. I've been going a while and need to recharge my phone (and myself).

Laguna was very nice and all the people were very rich. Newport is busier but I'm still walking by Ferrari dealerships. Watching people browse $95,000 cars like they were choosing what cereal to buy is a little surreal.

What did you think of San Clemente?

SummitAve

Banned
How did you go about getting farm work in Maui? I'm interested in doing something similar, and would you recommend it?

I'm graduating soon and feeling very overstressed/overwhelmed and have no idea what I want to do with my life. Being from Minnesota I also wouldn't mind a change of scenery for a bit. I'm an Environmental and Ecological engineer (Also considered an agricultural engineering) so I figure farm work is somewhat relative to my studies.

It looks like relatively sunny days until Sunday (my weather won't go past that). Glad you're enjoying so cal. Have you gotten in and out yet?

Grabbed in 'n out yesterday. It's really cheap and better than your average burger. Thmbs up.

What did you think of San Clemente?

Very ritzy. It was pleasant to walk through for sure. I'm sorry for missing your post saying you we're there until it was too late.

How did you go about getting farm work in Maui? I'm interested in doing something similar, and would you recommend it?

I'm graduating soon and feeling very overstressed/overwhelmed and have no idea what I want to do with my life. Being from Minnesota I also wouldn't mind a change of scenery for a bit. I'm an Environmental and Ecological engineer (Also considered an agricultural engineering) so I figure farm work is somewhat relative to my studies.

Check out Wwoof.org. Room and board in exchange for working on their farm. It can range from working for a couple on a small plot to an actual business. Be selective in your choice, you are essentially an indentured servant so choose your master wisely

Thx for the support guys!

Remyzero

I'm intentionally doing diwntown LB in the middle of the day. Where do you mean exactly when you say South Bay?

When you get passed DTLB it's mostly a shipyard area. Then if you keep down PCH you'll head into South Bay Area (cities west of Long Beach) the nice areas are Palos Verdes, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach which could be conquered in a days walk to get there from wherever you are currently.

Do you stop by markets to stock up on food or go to McDonald's or something?

When you get passed DTLB it's mostly a shipyard area. Then if you keep down PCH you'll head into South Bay Area (cities west of Long Beach) the nice areas are Palos Verdes, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach which could be conquered in a days walk to get there from wherever you are currently.

Thx for the tip. Always good to know a bit about what's coming. This part of LB I'm in now is super nice

andycapps

I thought Newport Beach was pretty sweet in my limited time in Cali in the past. Maybe not so sweet for somebody walking from LA to SF though. That Cougar story was great.

This is a cool thread, subbed.

I sort of meandered down the wrong path while trying to safely cross a bridge in Long Beach and ran into a legit tent city. There were cops and an ambulance because I think someone got into a fight. One cop thought I was staying there because of my pack and told me they were "shutting this place down".

I'm skeptical they could accomplish this due to the scope of it. Tunnels and rooms constructed out of tarps, shopping carts and cardboard stretched for up to 25 ft I reckon.

There were also tents, a lot of them. Some of them were nice, 6-8 person tents. Some even had pet dogs chained in front. It was like a trailer park community of tents.

I was cautious about taking pics out of respect for the people living there an because cops are sketchy about pics when they are doing their business but I snapped a few. You can see the environmental impact of the surrounding area and river:

Message Boards
ZU4Jxfh.jpg

Kad5

norcal > socal

I think they are both awesome for their own reasons. NoCal has the Bay Area which is one of (and arguably the best) places to live.

But Socal also has Orange County. OC might get some hate but it really is a nice area to live in (or at least the beach cities are). I feel like SoCal has nicer weather and beaches. Also, SoCal has San Diego which is pretty awesome.

Kind of a shot in the dark but does anyone from LA-Gaf want to go to Joshua Tree this weekend? ill chip in for gas

I'm in hermosa beach and this place is bumpinnn

really? i've never been to joshua tree. i have the weekend free but i'm in OC GAF

Well if you feel like doing an extra bit of driving to come get me PM me! We could likely get more people via Craigslist rideshare to help with gas. I posted on there and saw a few other entries.

Let me know if you are down for an adventure haha

Aww it's nice to know you guys care ;).

I'm fine, at a Starbucks in pacific palisades. I stayed in LA longer than I really intended, but had some great adventures.

Befriended a cool Danish chick at a hostel. Spent a night on the town and after a series of other encounters ended up at a swanky after party in Hollywood.

I met an editor for Lucas film and told him not to fuck up new Star Wars so you can stop worrying about it. I took care of it. It was such a high density of beautiful people that I was a bit overwhelmed to say the least. It was also like 3am which is longer than I've stayed up in weeks so I was exhausted. Didn't end up sleeping but for a few hours so hoping to find a choice spot tonight in these hills to crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom