• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm walking through Southern California

Status
Not open for further replies.
To all the people offering me helpcompanionship, it means a lot! Gaf love. Don't be surprised if I take you up on your offer!

RE the I-15: the extra 40 miles isn't a big deal, an extra 3-4 days. Neither is the heat, I grew up in TX. Pendleton is a pain in the ass I'd rather avoid. Plus a little detour inland might be nice... I know nothing about the route tho. Tenecula/corona...also dont know when i would turn back west. I'm nervous about walking through southern/ Cen LA, even along the coast... Is that irrational?

Oh and the coyote was def curious but kept his distance. He just ran away when I got close, then stopped when I stopped and looked at me

AMUSIX

For LA, if you stay along the coast, you are 100% fine.

For the inland route, you have a few choices. Heading across from Oceanside along the 76 seems most logical, then head north along the 15 into Temecula. From there, continue along the 15 and do one of three things:

1) At lake elsinore, turn back towards the coast along the 74. This puts you back just north of Pendleton at San Juan Capistrano, essentially the south end of Orange County. From there, you can head north through Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, and up toe Long Beach. The problem with this is that there's really not much along the 74, and I'm not sure if that's doable in a single day, though probably.

2) at Corona, turn towards the coast along the 91. Puts you in at the northern end of Orange County, just above Anaheim. The problem with this is that once you hit Anaheim, you're going to have to head either north or south, in order to avoid lakewood, compton, and the surrounding areas.

3) Head all the way north to the 10, then follow that west. This skips Orange County, the Beach cities, and southern LA. You will past through east LA, though, so you might want to plot a northern route around.

Also, I can't believe I forgot to mention it, or it hasn't been mentioned yet. The route you're taking is essentially the same route as the missions. Originally, they were set to be exactly a day's ride between them, but I think that's changed somewhat. If you're interested, stop in at one or two, and tell them that you're walking the mission route, and they might be able to guide you locally.
CpEvqXz.gif

then again, they might be nothing but tourist attractions now (that don't really attract tourists).

AMUSIX I'm choked up at how great that post is for me.

Thank you so much! I've got a few days at least to think about it. The idea of walking the entire way but having to hitch hike that 9 measly miles through camp Pendleton is annoying to me. Ill see how I feel when I get there

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Good advice, AMUSIX. Although one thing I'd probably recommend doing differently is going through the western part of Fallbrook. Basically go along the east edge of Camp Pendleton. It'd be quite a bit more scenic and enjoyable than just walking alongside the 15 for a very long time.

Also, if you do walk the 76 to the 15, keep an eye out for a bike path separated from the road just north of the 76. It goes for about 20 miles and will keep you next to a dry river area and separated from the most unpleasant part of the 76.

Thank you so much! I've got a few days at least to think about it. The idea of walking the entire way but having to hitch hike that 9 measly miles through camp Pendleton is annoying to me. Ill see how I feel when I get there

Yeah, it'd be annoying to have to say "Yeah, I walked all the way from San Diego to San Francisco. Well, I mean, I hitch hiked through Camp Pendleton, but besides that I walked the whole way." If you're gonna do something that crazy, it'd be silly to take a shortcut like that. Plus, going inland would probably be a nice change of pace.

Kipp

won't be much different than anywhere else. i mean you're walking along a highway... danger is pretty constant IMO

Eh. As long as he sticks to major roads and doesn't try exploring in the more sketchy areas he should be fine. Granted, I think I may have an irrational sense of safety while walking on streets at night in questionable areas. But really, he doesn't have much on him. Very worst case scenario somebody mugs him for his dirty clothes and debit card that he could just cancel? Honestly, walking through Long Beach on main roads is nothing considering the fact that he'll be sleeping outdoors.

When I talk about danger, I'm really talking about finding a place to sleep more so than getting hit by a car. From what I've seen the 1 has room to walk safely

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Do not take 74 (Ortega Highway). It's a winding mountain road, you will die.

Also Kipp's advice about going through Fallbrook is great idea. If you want you can stay west of the 15 and go to Temecula through an area called De Luz. It's like this beautiful kind of foresty area, like out of another state.

Kipp

When I talk about danger, I'm really talking about finding a place to sleep more so than getting hit by a car. From what I've seen the 1 has room to walk safely

Ah, yeah. Was gonna say, walking along major roads shouldn't be a worry for someone doing a trek like this. But yeah, finding a safe place to sleep is definitely going to be the most problematic/dangerous part about this whole thing. Are you totally set on sleeping homeless style? If not, I'd suggest couchsurfing or something similar. All I know is I like a good adventure, but I definitely wouldn't voluntarily sleep on the streets of anywhere in the LA area.

Kipp

Also Kipp's advice about going through Fallbrook is great idea. If you want you can stay west of the 15 and go to Temecula through an area called De Luz. It's like this beautiful kind of foresty area, like out of another state.

This reminds me, I really want to take my bicycle out there sometime. I love that kind of scenery and there's none of it at all in Oceanside or anywhere nearby. So many suburbs...
Thanks for accidentally giving me the idea!

I live in riverside =[

Don't be sad. Clyde is clearly biased against the _____side's.

Oh man, I wish I could do something like this. I will definitely keep checking in on this. I swear, only on GAF. It is really cool how awesome/helpful people here are. Good luck sir and I will be checking in daily!

LA is the one part I'd be open to avoiding sleeping on the streets. Couch surfing is an option but then I'd really have to follow a schedule. It's why I'm considering coming in from the north, going thru Pasadena. Maybe using public transit to sight see around other parts of LA.

Fall brook and de luz interest me. Is it as much of a no mans land as it appears on the map?

Kipp

LA is the one part I'd be open to avoiding sleeping on the streets. Couch surfing is an option but then I'd really have to follow a schedule. It's why I'm considering coming in from the north, going thru Pasadena. Maybe using public transit to sight see around other parts of LA.

Fall brook and de luz interest me. Is it as much of a no mans land as it appears on the map?

Ah. Fair enough.

And Fallbrook is a lot of ranches and farms and stuff like that. Basically homes on lots of land. So it's not a no mans land really, just more spread out.

Edit: Beaten to it. :p

Thx guys. I'm out for the night, gonna try dumpster diving for the first time at this whole foods across the street and find a hidey hole to pass out in.

DarkFlow

Banned
Wish I had seen this yesterday, I'm in San Diego and would have come visit with you for awhile. If worse comes to worse, I'll help you cheat and drive you over the camp Pendleton spot.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Yeah, you probably want to stick near the coasts. SD to LA, especially, but I'm trying to figure out how you're gonna get though Camp Pendleton...

It used to be that you were allowed to walk through Camp Pendleton along the beach as long as you didn't go past the high tide line, barring amphibious exercises.
That may have changed since 9/11.

wondermega

Have you read "into the wild?" You should. don't make dumb mistakes. even if you're smart, stupid mistakes can still be your undoing :(

Wish I had seen this yesterday, I'm in San Diego and would have come visit with you for awhile. If worse comes to worse, I'll help you cheat and drive you over the camp Pendleton spot.

Thanks man but I think I'm taking the scenic route. Should end up in or near Oceansude by tonight.

I don't want to derail my own thread but as I walk through these areas I'm frankly thinking that it would be a lot trickier if I wasn't young and white.

Was (surprise) walking down highway 101 yesterday and got picked up by a 47 yr old cougar. She took me out to dinner, gave me the most unexpected sexual encounter of my life (I hadn't showered for three days!) And let me crash at her mansion in Carlsbad. Not bad.

She convinced me to go through Pendleton via transit, to see LAgunas and other areas of the coast id miss. I'm still unsure if its the right call but I'm going for it. She gave me $60 of "train money", turns out there is a $2.50 bus to San Clemente which I'm currently waiting for.

Major thanks to Kipp who hung out with me in Oceanside. Thx for listening to my ridiculous cougar tale (congrats on the sex, I know) and shooting the shit. You're a cool guy

Was (surprise) walking down highway 101 yesterday and got picked up by a 47 yr old cougar. She took me out to dinner, gave me the most unexpected sexual encounter of my life (I hadn't showered for three days!) And let me crash at her mansion in Carlsbad. Not bad.

She convinced me to go through Pendleton via transit, to see LAgunas and other areas of the coast id miss. I'm still unsure if its the right call but I'm going for it. She gave me $60 of "train money", turns out there is a $2.50 bus to San Clemente which I'm currently waiting for.

Major thanks to Kipp who hung out with me in Oceanside. Thx for listening to my ridiculous cougar tale (congrats on the sex, I know) and shooting the shit. You're a cool guy

Where were you when you got picked up? North County? North County is basically Cougar County. Everything north of La Jolla is essentially a massive hunting grounds.

AMUSIX

OK, your adventures have just turned awesome...seriously, to go from dumpster diving to filthy cougar sex is hilarious...and you haven't even gotten through your first county yet. Really curious to find out what will happen next.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

She paid you for sex.

Kipp

lol, he blew off the entire thread.

OUCH.

Hahaha.

I guess his first NeoGaf meetup was so bad that he doesn't want to bother trying anymore. :p

But anyways, glad you made it up there! Did you end up finding some good Mexican food?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ask Google for a Glass prototype, but make it look hobo-y and stream your journey.

and leave them on during sex

Yes Boss!

Made it to some place called Dana Point. It's an incredibly pleasant place. No worries about safety tonight.

Yeah, Dana Point is chill. I went to high school there and grew up in Laguna Niguel. Damn, you are right there, might as well go through Laguna Beach up to Newport.

Hahaha.

I guess his first NeoGaf meetup was so bad that he doesn't want to bother trying anymore. :p

But anyways, glad you made it up there! Did you end up finding some good Mexican food?

I ended up getting pizza as I hadn't had that in a while... Mistake.

As per our conversation this site is awesome for travelling and living in a plce for a few weeks/months: Wwoof.org

Also OP it's pretty obvious you've never been to California because we drive here. .

This post keeps running through my head and its what I imagine everyone is thinking when they give me confused looks. "Huh? We drive here"

Duderz

Banned
Glad you made it to Orange County ok. If you stay along the coast, you really have nothing to worry about for the next 40+ mi. Enjoy PCH.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
OP, walk through south central...you'll see alot of LA in them parts

Kipp

I ended up getting pizza as I hadn't had that in a while... Mistake.

As per our conversation this site is awesome for travelling and living in a plce for a few weeks/months: Wwoof.org

Ouch. You got Little Caesar's, didn't you. I realized that place was a bad idea the hard way too. Drove 3 hours into LA to see a concert. My friend and I got Little Caesar's when we got there and I got food poisoning. Fun times. Haha

And thanks! I'm definitely going to look into that. Definitely seems like something I'd like to do.
Edit: After looking around the site a bit, this seems almost exactly what I'd like to do. Thanks again for telling me about this.

And regarding the whole "people drive in California thing," I totally agree. I always feel so weird when I'm just out walking around because it's a pleasant day.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Had to stop in, and say, I think you are a badass for doing this. I wish you luck on your journey, dude. Stay safe out there. And update frequently, if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom