• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Camelot Unchained Kickstarter - The DAOC Successor from Mark Jacobs [Complete, $2.2M]

Burt

photo-main.jpg

Kickstarter: $2 million goal
Official Site
Camelot Unchained on Reddit
Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What is Camelot Unchained?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's a TriRealm (read: three-realm RvR) MMO from City State Entertainment, which was co-founded by Andrew Meggs (Bethesda, Mythic Entertainment, Troika) and Mark Jacobs, previously of Mythic Entertainment and the man who brought us Dark Age of Camelot, arguably the greatest PvP-oriented MMO of all time.

Camelot Unchained takes one part classic legends, adds a twisty little apocalyptic passage, and mixes in a whole batch of creativity to birth not just another “me and my WoW-clone”, but a unique RvR-focused MMORPG. A cataclysmic explosion pierced “The Veil” that separates dimensions, bringing forth a nightmarish mix of both legends and horrors upon our world, leading to an extinction-level event.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Highlights from the Kickstarter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • 3 realms for prime Realm vs. Realm combat
  • The game will feature RvR-based leveling tracks for all classes. No PvE-based leveling, loot drops (outside of crafting mats) or other such systems are currently planned. All leveling will come from engaging in the game’s RvR-based systems, whether by fighting other players, capturing objectives, and/or crafting objects to help in RvR.
  • An entirely crafting based economy, which not only includes gear but also...
  • Construction - players will be able to build structures beyond just their houses, such as forts, turrets, and traps at choke points and high-traffic combat zones
  • RvR, crafting, and construction are the three core pillars of the game
  • 5 classes per realm at launch, including a pure crafter class. More possible for launch, as stretch goals come out, more definite for post-release.
  • Classes do adhere to a variant of the tank-healer-dps trinity
  • Classes are different between realms and are balanced in a rock-paper-scissors fashion, as opposed to mirroring them
  • Each realm will have at least 3 races at launch
  • You will have the choice of playing any realm on each of the game’s servers except that you may play only characters from the same realm on any single server. In other words, one server = one realm.
  • The game will be available in English with French, German and other languages based on demand.
  • Mark is donating $2 million of his own money to the game, as well as having raised another $1 million, so if the Kickstarter gets funded the game has a minimum $5 million budget.
  • Subscription tiers will be based on players' individual choices regarding participation, but will be less than the current accepted norm for MMORPGs.. Mark's stated that he wants to make a niche game with a smaller player base comprised of the players that care enough about a game like this to support it financially. Ideally, it will mean that they'll be able to be more interactive with and responsive to the community, as well as get rid of some trolls.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Updates
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update 3: A small tech demo showcasing their in-house engine running 10,000 copies of a model on screen at once with a silky smooth framerate.
Update 5: Making a game out of the web - Details the web-based UI, it's customization, the ability to access elements like chat and markets from any web-enabled device, and for players to make tailor-made tools such as heat maps, death and gear loadout statistics, and more
Update 6: Tuatha De Dannan Concept art and first in-game models and animation
Update 8: The Viking Reveal
Update 11: The Grab Bag:
  • The CSE devs is doing everything they can to prevent Buffbots (Buffbots are when players use second accounts/computers to multibox and have one toon stand around in a fight and provide buffs/heals/etc.
  • There will be NPCs from which you will be able to skin/scavenge materials. There will be PvE-NPCs (cows and presumably monsters/animals/bandits etc.) and RvR-NPCs (guards, human or otherwise)
  • The game will never (NEVER) have PvE expansions that introduce new tiers of gear
  • Death penalty - no perma-death, no corpse looting, no instant rez (rez takes time), no self-rez (even for healers), when dead your body can be burned/magically attacked by the enemy (takes time) or you can release, no item decay on death (use/enemy attack based only), limited bind points (there is a healer + crafter mechanic that can come into play [Aw yiss bind point crafting while laying siege), “rez sickness” like mechanic and divine intervention.
  • There will be CC, but also a CC resists system, as well as a limit on the number of buffs/debuffs a player can have on them at once. Hard interrupts are also being implemented.
Update 13: Real-time armies - Tech demo with 500 of the TDD + Viking models operating smoothly and simultaneously on the battlefield. NOTE: unfinished animations
Update 14: A more epic battle - Tech demo from update 13 upped to 1000 characters at once, still with smooth framerate.
Update 16: The Depths - RvR DUNGEON!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Depths
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Depths will be Camelot Unchained RvR dungeon, similar to Darkness Falls in Dark Age of Camelot. All three realms will continuously fight over control of The Depths, with the realm currently in control reaping the benefits of high-end materials, forges, Veil access, and more. The Depths has a horror aesthetic which MJ has described as "more Geiger (of Alien fame) than Tolkien". It would probably be fair to label it quasi-Lovecraftian, as well. It's meant to be a living, breathing place full of danger and the sense of autonomous will.

What's in The Depths?
  • Mines - Contained within the depths are some of themost valuable mines in the game
  • The Great Forges - Scattered throughout The Depths, The Great Forges can make special equipment that cannot be found anywhere else in the game
  • High-end scavenged materials - As MJ said, "What once was, is no more, except for what can be found under the ground"
  • Access to the Veil - to be elaborated on at a later date

Tower Defense Mechanics in The Depths
Once your realm controls The Depths, you will be able to send out NPCs to battle invading realms. At the tenatively-titled "Places of Power", you will be able to transform yourself into one of these NPCs, which range from low-level to boss-esque, in order to battle the invading forces. Additionally, the crafter classes will be able to build traps, weapons, bridges, magic eyes (read: cameras), and more to aid in your defense of The Depths.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Other Art
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Founder's Points, the Founder's Exchange, and Kickstarter

When you make a pledge on Kickstarter, part of your tier reward is a number of Founder's Points, with the amount increasing in line with the pledge amount. These points will be used at launch in an in-game store known as the Founder's Exchange that will allow you to purchase items available only to people who backed the game via Kickstarter. The reasoning behind the Founder's Exchange is to provide backers increased reward flexibility. For example, while most other gaming Kickstarter's set in-game items as rewards for certain tiers, the Founder's Exchange allows players the ability to pick and choose/mix and match their rewards with the Founder's Points allocated to their tier. Note that Mark Jacobs has stated in crystal clear terms that there will never, ever, be anything on the Founder's Exchange that would alter gameplay or provide any sort of in-game advantage to backers. The Founder's Exchange, as it currently stands, is below.

Much more on the KS page and official site, but these seem to be the defining characteristics of the game and should give you an approximate idea of whether or not you're interested. I'd recommend at least checking out the KS page to see the pledge tiers, which are a little pricier than average but also very generous with rewards.

I'm in for $50. PvE MMOs just can't do it for me anymore. I want combat and sieges and real realm pride and physics and actual stakes in world combat and no more going from overhead icon to overhead icon or killing 10 boars or fetching items and if you want any of these things you owe it to yourself to at least check this Kickstarter out.

Amneisac

The client will be DRM-free and distributed via Torrent.

Seems a little silly and disingenuous for an MMO that I'm sure has an account and by definition requires an internet connection. I mean what other DRM would there be?

Also, this 'founder's points' junk sounds stupid.

Orayn

I have a friend who is HUGE into DAoC despite starting it in 2008 or so when the game was already a ghost town. He'll be excited to hear about this!

Seems a little silly and disingenuous for an MMO that I'm sure has an account and by definition requires an internet connection. I mean what other DRM would there be?

Yeah, that's not really remarkable. Most retail MMOs let you freely download the client, since it doesn't matter unless you have an account.

Also, this 'founder's points' junk sounds stupid.

Sounds like most or all of the founder's points rewards are cosmetic, so I don't really see the harm.

Nugg

What's the deal with the excessive amount of caps in the tier rewards? Did a twelve year old write this?

Almost made a thread, this is what i got.

iDdkNh9iD5fqq.png

Camelot Unchained takes one part classic legends, adds a twisty little apocalyptic passage, and mixes in a whole batch of creativity to birth not just another “me and my WoW-clone”, but a unique RvR-focused MMORPG. A cataclysmic explosion pierced “The Veil” that separates dimensions, bringing forth a nightmarish mix of both legends and horrors upon our world, leading to an extinction-level event. It is against the backdrop of an almost unrecognizable world that our game unfolds, and as a player of Camelot Unchained, you can expect the following:

• Camelot Unchained is a subscription-based, RvR-focused MMORPG. RvR is an acronym for Realm vs. Realm, which we call TriRealm™ for the interaction of the three main realms.

• The game will feature RvR-based leveling tracks for all classes. No PvE (player vs. environment) -based leveling, loot drops or other such systems are currently planned. All leveling will come from engaging in the game’s RvR-based systems, whether by fighting other players, capturing objectives, and/or crafting objects to help in RvR.

• You will have the choice of playing any realm on each of the game’s servers except that you may play only characters from the same realm on any single server. In other words, one server = one realm.

• Our subscription tiers will be based on players' individual choices regarding participation, but will be less than the current accepted norm for MMORPGs.

• The game will be developed for PC (Windows) with stretch goals for other platforms.

• The game will be available in English with French, German and other languages based on demand.

• The client will be DRM-free and distributed via Torrent.

Lol, there is currently two kickstarter threads up. This one was first though.
This is the reason why reserving "OT's" are so important even for kickstarter threads.

radar, xrealm, spam doublefrost for the win, pac healer OP, zerging in emain, ninja relic raids, how dare you assjam our 8v8 NOOBZ, and so on. What I wouldn't do to be able to catass that game like I used to. I need a kickstarter to regress my career to point where I have enough time to play and lead like I used to.

Effect

From what I posted in the other thread.

The lack of PvE gives me a great deal of pause. Everyone likes to talk about Realm vs Realm in Dark Age of Camelot completely forgetting or ignoring the importance of PvE in that game and how big of a role it played. How it gave RvR some meaning and structure. How it provided some order to the chaotic zerg fest that RvR could become. How a large group of people preferred that and even the RvR battlegrounds over Frontier RvR after a while. I think there was a time when people were doing something to stop themselves from leveling or at least not leaving a certain battleground so they could log back into if they overlevel for it because the experience there was more fun then the frontier based RvR. It was more structured.

There was a reason why Trials of Atlantis had such a negative impact on the game (it was a mainly or purely PvE expansion I think) and I believe it had to do with how it changed the PvE design of the game to be more like Everquest's long and drawn out raid structure. That is what caused people to start to leave or at least accelerated the departure of people. Always felt they tried to fix the damage it did with the Catacombs expansion by making that closer to how the game was before ToA. They even started to change ToA after a while. If RvR was the only and biggest reason people played the game that wouldn't have happen.

I was in for $50 until I thought better of it and backed out. I really need to see more about this game but I have a bad feeling I know where this is going to be headed.

Burt

Updated the OP with some additional details on the game and the Founder's Points that come with the KS pledges. If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to PM me.

From what I posted in the other thread.

The lack of PvE gives me a great deal of pause. Everyone likes to talk about Realm vs Realm in Dark Age of Camelot completely forgetting or ignoring the importance of PvE in that game and how big of a role it played. How it gave RvR some meaning and structure. How it provided some order to the chaotic zerg fest that RvR could become. How a large group of people preferred that and even the RvR battlegrounds over Frontier RvR after a while. I think there was a time when people were doing something to stop themselves from leveling or at least not leaving a certain battleground so they could log back into if they overlevel for it because the experience there was more fun then the frontier based RvR. It was more structured.

I was in for $50 until I thought better of it and backed out. I really need to see more about this game but I have a bad feeling I know where this is going to be headed.

Well, I can't blame you for being cautious after how WAR turned out. I'm just prone to getting overexcited, I guess. I don't think the lack of PvE will hurt too bad in the eyes of their target audience so long as they have a clear focus on how to design the game without it and making the core combat satisfying. Planetside 2 does a good job with this in terms of map and resource control, and given how CU will undoubtedly be more crafting-intensive (and therefore more resource-intensive), I think they have the potential to do even better.

CzarTim

This is really promising to me, but I cannot really justify paying for a game that I won't be able to play for over two years.

Effect

Oh I think remember now what people were doing in to not level up in DAoC. You'd lose experience every time you'd die. Was the same back then for Everquest 1. What people would do I believe is when they neared the level cap for a battleground (as you did get experience in it) they'd leave and die enough times so that either they'd go back to the beginning of their level or actually delevel. The battlegrounds were tiered and you had to be within a certain level range to get into a certain one and it was automatic. You didn't pick which one you wanted.

Xevren

Oh I think remember now what people were doing in to not level up in DAoC. You'd lose experience every time you'd die. Was the same back then for Everquest 1. What people would do I believe is when they neared the level cap for a battleground (as you did get experience in it) they'd leave and die enough times so that either they'd go back to the beginning of their level or actually delevel. The battlegrounds were tiered and you had to be within a certain level range to get into a certain one and it was automatic. You didn't pick which one you wanted.

After awhile they added an option to turn off xp so you wouldn't risk out leveling them. I know a lot of people loved the lower level BG's.

Effect

After awhile they added an option to turn off xp so you wouldn't risk out leveling them. I know a lot of people loved the lower level BG's.

Thanks. I knew there was another option there. I think it took a while for them to cave on that. I hope MJ remembers that or someone reminds him. There were good reasons for why people wanted to stay in the battlegrounds, especailly once you hit a certain level range and had enough abilities to make it interesting and the area in the battleground was large enough. I think the high 20s and 30s were the most popular..

Xevren

Thanks. I knew there was another option there. I think it took a while for them to cave on that. I hope MJ remembers that or someone reminds him. There were good reasons for why people wanted to stay in the battlegrounds, especailly once you hit a certain level range and had enough abilities to make it interesting and the area in the battleground was large enough. I think the high 20s and 30s were the most popular..

I mainly played in the pre-new frontiers time and Thidranki (20-24) and Caledonia (30-34 or 35 I think?) were the ones I remember being popular. Most of it seemed filled with people just twinking to the max in hopes of just steam rolling people that weren't really equipped for it. It was fun, but I didn't really use it that much. I do remember when I played my Sorc and going in there, it was pretty nuts.

Never really played them at all post NF, I tended to just play with my friends at max level and roaming around in the frontiers.

BrettWeir

Scrounging for $250 for this. Fucking finally!

Oh....and if he even thinks about implementing anything remotely close to ToA and artifacts, I'm going to choke him.

Burt

Looking at the Kickstarter page, it's pretty ridiculous that they already have $400k plus from only 2350 pledgers. They're averaging $170+ a pledge. I realize that it's the first day and all the big spenders are getting in early, but have other Kickstarters started with such a high average pledge value?

Mark Jacobs apparently knew what he was doing when he made the tiers pricier than most other projects. The audience for this game seems like it would be mostly older, very hardcore MMOers that've been starved of this type of game for a long, long, time and are willing to throw in the moolah to get it off the ground.

Edit: Haha, I saw that they already have 4 $5000 pledges in the first half day, so I went over to the rewards list....

Yes, you can own your own island in our world... Best of all, this island will be reachable only by flier and you will work with our team to customize your island. You and your guests will have free and unlimited access to and from your island, and you can even allow them to set up houses there. The island will also have its own mines and resources (but only equal to what is found in other safe areas as per you know) that you can harvest.

Hahaha, that is fucking awesome. You know some asshole is gonna make his into the shape of a giant schlong.

I wonder where it'll end at today. You've got to think a lot of folks are still working or at school. I'll say $750k. If they can hit $1 million before Friday then this thing has a great chance at not only being funded but also reaching a couple of stretch goals.

Burt

I wonder where it'll end at today. You've got to think a lot of folks are still working or at school. I'll say $750k. If they can hit $1 million before Friday then this thing has a great chance at not only being funded but also reaching a couple of stretch goals.
Seems to be slowing down a bit, I don't see it going much past 600k. Not that that's a bad first day or anything. I just wish they had made the initial goal a little lower, I could see them not hitting more than one or two stretch goals. On the other hand, I respect them for having the balls to ask for what they think they needed as opposed to what they thought would be the safest to get funded and cutting things down from there.

Hm, I wonder how "MMO" it will be in terms of the world then, since there is no PvE leveling option. If I can only level via RvR, what is someone coming into the game late supposed to do if the combat is predicated on stats, etc? Planetside 2 avoids this because the core gameplay is based around player skill rather than level. Yes, higher ranked players have more options available to them, but a new player still has a chance.

Looks like it will reach it's goal in no time. December 2015 seems so far away to put money down on the thing (and it'll prolly get delayed). I think I'll just wait and see.

Looks like it will reach it's goal in no time. December 2015 seems so far away to put money down on the thing (and it'll prolly get delayed). I think I'll just wait and see.

Yeah but if you and thousands of people are thinking the same thing then you may not get the game period. ;)

If you're hesitant just drop $25 on it. That gets you the game + 1st month free. If you're feeling better about the games prospects you can upgrade your pledge at a later time.

Hm, I wonder how "MMO" it will be in terms of the world then, since there is no PvE leveling option. If I can only level via RvR, what is someone coming into the game late supposed to do if the combat is predicated on stats, etc? Planetside 2 avoids this because the core gameplay is based around player skill rather than level. Yes, higher ranked players have more options available to them, but a new player still has a chance.

They will do what all the noobs did that were maybe RR3 when they got into real RvR! They will deal with it, die a bunch, and roll in Zergs. It was awesome breaking in to big boy RvR and just trying to survive.

Honestly though, it wont really be that big of a deal I bet, It will probably be very similar to how you talk about planetside2 and how it will be more skill based than level based, since I doubt your stats will get effected much by the RvR level, those high ranks will just get your little extra abilites and maybe a 5% bonus in stats.

The other thing that helps this is, CU probably wont have millions of people playing it, and they arent really planning around that either, they know its niche and are hoping to have something like 30k people subbed to be profitable. So they are really just catering to the people like me and most of the other people in this thread that are just old DAoC players and want more of that, but bigger and better and without all the PvE shit that started out awesome in DAoC but slowly started to kill it.

Xevren

Think they will even bother with stealth classes? I wouldn't really miss them all that much if they weren't in.

Burt

Yeah but if you and thousands of people are thinking the same thing then you may not get the game period. ;)

If you're hesitant just drop $25 on it. That gets you the game + 1st month free. If you're feeling better about the games prospects you can upgrade your pledge at a later time.

Pff, $50 pledge is the real sweet spot. Gets you an additional month (probably valued around $15 dollars), so assuming you're gonna be playing the game after the second month, $10 extra gets you 15 extra Founder's Points, an extra character slot, and beta access an estimated 7 months earlier, among some other things that I don't care as much about.

Got the Founder's Exchange list up on the OP, didn't see it the first time through the Kickstarter. Assuming I'm still alive by the time this game comes out, I'll definitely be getting priority login, additional storage, and either a weapon glow or the high definition digital map.

About to cross 500k. Not bad. Still averaging like $165 a pledge.

Think they will even bother with stealth classes? I wouldn't really miss them all that much if they weren't in.

I would love it if they had no stealth. They probably won't at launch, considering that there's only going to be 5 classes to start, one of which is a dedicated crafter and the others will be a realm specific tank, DPS, healer, and hybrid. There haven't been many (any?) stealth hybrids in MMOs historically, and I think it would be pretty rage-inducing if only 1 or 2 of the realms got stealth on their DPS, and even worse if all the dps had stealth.

They need to do about $50k a day from this point forward. Certainly doable and once they have more info trickle out that might help.

I am a little disappointed with how little we know at this point. I understand not having gameplay to show but at least the design stuff like races and classes should've been revealed today.

Looks interesting but the fact that kickstarter would get some of my money and the riskyness of making a successful MMO makes me weary. Also the subscription model is really hard to sustain these days.

Burt

They need to do about $50k a day from this point forward. Certainly doable and once they have more info trickle out that might help.

I am a little disappointed with how little we know at this point. I understand not having gameplay to show but at least the design stuff like races and classes should've been revealed today.

Yeah, I'm very surprised that they didn't frontload more stuff, considering the buzz you can get on the first day out the gates. They've said

Over the next thirty days, Andrew is going to be showing off some of the tech that he has been working on recently in his less-than-copious spare time. What he is going to show you will run the gamut from UI prototyping, smooth flowing combat, engine rendering speed and the challenges and ultimately the rewards of creating our own in-house engine to ensure that Camelot Unchained RvR-battles are everything we need them to be in order to make this game a success.
but I still think it wasn't smart of them to not even include substantial environmental concept art to give players a more holistic look at the game from the get-go. All we have now is really just glances at armor concepts.

EvangM

Neo Member
I've been waiting years for this game. If anybody remembers Sirand from Palomides, sup and how ya doing :) Pledged!

Pff, $50 pledge is the real sweet spot. Gets you an additional month (probably valued around $15 dollars), so assuming you're gonna be playing the game after the second month, $10 extra gets you 15 extra Founder's Points, an extra character slot, and beta access an estimated 7 months earlier, among some other things that I don't care as much about.

Got the Founder's Exchange list up on the OP, didn't see it the first time through the Kickstarter. Assuming I'm still alive by the time this game comes out, I'll definitely be getting priority login, additional storage, and either a weapon glow or the high definition digital map.

About to cross 500k. Not bad. Still averaging like $165 a pledge.

I would love it if they had no stealth. They probably won't at launch, considering that there's only going to be 5 classes to start, one of which is a dedicated crafter and the others will be a realm specific tank, DPS, healer, and hybrid. There haven't been many (any?) stealth hybrids in MMOs historically, and I think it would be pretty rage-inducing if only 1 or 2 of the realms got stealth on their DPS, and even worse if all the dps had stealth.

5? It will be 15 (or 13 at least if all the crafters are the same)classes at the start. Each realm will have different classes.

I would be ok if Stealth classes arent there, but you could definitely have something like 1 sides healer have stealth, one sides dps have stealth, and one classes hybrid have stealth.

Top Bottom