• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light first run copies have included Ranger Mode, otherwise $5 DLC

I'm surprised there isn't a 20 page thread on this already, as this is the exact material for it.

I'm pretty excited for Metro Last Light, but not like this.
not-like-this.gif

ibbX58aw0BnlCc.jpg

On top of exclusive in-game items and money, hard mode is now up for pre-order. Or pay up $5 for "the way it was meant to be played" if you were too late to the launch party. I don't usually pre-order games, but this is some next level bullshit. I made a thread about True Endings as DLC, and this is equally as stupid where you are paying for hard mode DLC in the game.

Angry Joe: Metro LL Angry Rant $5 for Hard Mode?!

PC Gamer: If Metro: Last Light Ranger Mode is “the way it was meant to be played” why isn’t it included for all players? We ask Koch

“Game makers and publishers now live in a world where offering game content as a pre-order exclusive is a requirement by retail, and Ranger Mode seemed like the best choice since it was a mode for hardcore fans who would most likely pre-order the game, or purchase it at launch in any case,” he says. “We rejected requests to make story content or additional missions exclusive. We also rejected requests to make this a timed exclusive

The difficulty mode will be “included in all copies of the initial manufacturing run While a pre-order guarantees this ‘Limited Edition’ it is not a requirement.” Ranger Mode will be available to buy on launch day as DLC at $5/£3.99 – “the lowest 1st Parties would permit us to charge for content of this nature” Beynon suggests.

This is a statement made by Deep Silver global brand manager and studio rep for Metro LL, Huw Beynon aka Bi50N here. Angry Joe covered why all of this is bullshit. Not only did they think hardcore fans are stupid enough to obviously pre-order anyway because they're weak-in-the-knees people like that, but they also did this on top of already giving you exclusive in-game items and extra money. Was that not enough for retailers? Aren't those exactly the little things being done for any other AAA game now? You expect us to believe retailers specifically asked you to remove hard mode from the game entirely for an additional pre-order incentive?

Ranger Mode was added to Last Light’s precursor, Metro 2033 after launch as “a direct response to the demands of the hardcore Metro community.” It removes the HUD, makes enemies tougher and increases the scarcity of ammunition, which can also be used as currency in the Metro world. It sounds like a big feature. The ad phrasing makes it sound essential.

I wasn't there at the time. I bought Metro 2033 recently from Steam, and I got Ranger Mode for free. CD Projekt added many modes and DLC as free for Witcher 2.

Oh, but I love how he massages the blow by cautioning that you shouldn't touch Ranger Mode until for a second playthrough:
Beynon suggests otherwise.

“We do not recommend Ranger Mode for a first playthrough, and this is made very clear both in-game. We expect Metro fans will want to try Ranger Mode for a subsequent playthrough, and we think that for this hardcore player, Ranger Mode offers a richer experience – but only once you’ve clocked the game at least once.”

What about the people who want to play a game on the hard mode from the get go so they get to play the game "as it was meant to be played" first? I know loads of gamers play a shooter on the harder modes first, like Halo with Heroic and Legendary difficulties. People played Bioshock Infinite on 1999 mode first.

But this is Metro. A niche franchise. Why do this to tarnish a developer and publisher's reputation amongst the already smaller fanbase? And punishing legal, well-meaning customers with this. It's not even a measure for piracy, it's to satisfy the retailers. Blame them, not us! Should they be surprised if people pirate/hack this game or buy it on a Steam sale later for $5 THEN give the additional $5 for hard mode? Not all hardcore gamers pre-order, you know.

I guess I'm not a TRUE fan if I don't pre-order. :(

Glass Rebel

Game makers and publishers now live in a world where offering game content as a pre-order exclusive is a requirement by retail, and Ranger Mode seemed like the best choice since it was a mode for hardcore fans who would most likely pre-order the game, or purchase it at launch in any case

This is kinda bullshit by retailers and puts Koch/Deep Silver between a rock and a hard place. If it's true, that is.

They even have the balls to outright say it's the way the game is meant to be played lol. Even difficulty levels are behind a paywall now, holy hell.

GeoGonzo

Thank God! I was kind of interested in this game but my backlog is huge. Pretty much needed an excuse to not preorder, and this is going to be it.

My condolences to the fans, though!

The way they try to justify it just seems real shady, there are plenty of games with minors things like a costume or special gun which they're including on top of it.

I did pre-order from GMG, but only because it was 37 dollars which is cheaper than it'll be for a while I imagine. Plus I've been looking forward to the game for a while, and despite how awful this is I want to play it. Oh well, they got me I suppose!

jimi_dini

Shouldn't easy mode be the DLC? This way they only get
to piss off
some hardcore players. Just think about all the casual players that will gladly pay $5 for a super easy mode.

Ken

Should have just came up with some preorder exclusive weapons that will last for an hour instead.

That really sucks, but is no deal breaker for me. I'll just import it from the UK a few months after release for the typical £22 price-tag, or maybe even wait till the £18 price-tag arrives.

Nemesis_

We have known this since December 2012

And I'm surprised that ANYBODY is surprised this is still happening.

This also happened with Metro 2033 - except it was paid downloadable content and there was no way to get it for free.

Ranger_pack.jpg

I'm not saying it's okay but I'm saying to SCREAM BLOODY MURDER over $5 that we already knew about is beyond hyperbolic.

Into

Started with horse armor, now its hard mode

Question is what is next, options menu? Easy mode? Normal mode? Multiplayer mode? Game+?

Ranger Mode was added to Last Light’s precursor, Metro 2033 after launch as “a direct response to the demands of the hardcore Metro community.” It removes the HUD, makes enemies tougher and increases the scarcity of ammunition, which can also be used as currency in the Metro world. It sounds like a big feature. The ad phrasing makes it sound essential.

Modders to the rescue!!! Thank gawd for the PC version.

pa22word

Shouldn't easy mode be the DLC? This way they only get
to piss off
some hardcore players. Just think about all the casual players that will gladly pay $5 for a super easy mode.

Their line of reasoning doesn't even make any sense as all the big fans of this type of game probably preordered it well before anyone knew about the preorder incentive (like me).

Hell if I would have known about this beforehand I wouldn't have preordered it. Unfortunately, this only came out /after/ they had sent out keys for the game. Which is pretty convenient for them if I do say so myself >.>

We have known this since December 2012

And I'm surprised that ANYBODY is surprised this is still happening.

This also happened with Metro 2033 - except it was paid downloadable content and there was no way to get it for free.

I'm not saying it's okay but I'm saying to SCREAM BLOODY MURDER over $5 that we already knew about is beyond hyperbolic.

The Ranger Pack for the first game was free on the PC at least, the only reason they charged on the 360 was apparently because microsoft forced them. It was something added months after release. Not sure what Sony's polices are, but there seems to be a good amount of free dlc on the store.

Just when I thought DLC practices couldn't sink any lower. Oh...you guys wait until next generation with those higher development costs...hehehe.....

Nemesis_

The code for Ranger Mode is probably packed in to the first shipment of the games anyway (much like EA does with their "limited" editions). So anyone who really does care about the game would get the opportunity to get the mode for free anyway.

The Ranger Pack for the first game was free on the PC at least, the only reason they charged on the 360 was apparently because microsoft forced them. Not sure what Sony's polices are, but there seems to be a good amount of free dlc on the store.

Oh, I honestly didn't know this. Thanks for the heads up. Makes it a little bit more annoying that they're charging for it, I guess.

The_Lump

Banned
The code for Ranger Mode is probably packed in to the first shipment of the games anyway (much like EA does with their "limited" editions). So anyone who really does care about the game would get the opportunity to get the mode for free anyway.

Which would make the whole thing even more asinine.

jwk94

If this is one of those "print on receipt" pre-order bonuses, then yeah this is a problem. However, if it's included in the "limited edition" aka first run copies of the game then it's not that bad.

pa22word

This is actually a very good point. I went to GS and saw this:

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-3-metro+last+light,28zu0

It seems like all first run copies are the LE. Crisis (sorta) averted?

EDIT:

http://www.walmart.com/search/searc...etro+last+light&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

Same thing at walmart.

Which would make the whole thing even more asinine.

Yet ultimately a complete non-issue. I still see "LE" copies of Crysis 2 and bulletstorm at walmart all the time lol.

teokrazia

Treating gameplay as optional content, additional value.
This medium is pathetically screwing up, and I think we've just seen the tip of the iceberg.

Detox

They say they are charging the lowest amount allowed by platform holders and thus implying that they would make it free of it was entirely in their hands. So why isn't it free on Steam? Will buy for £5 in a steam sale.

People will still find something to complain about.

EDIT: That being said, I doubt that the "first wave" rule applies to those who buy through Steam and what not, and that does indeed suck.

That's where mods come through.

Remember Fallout: New Vegas and that Hardcore difficulty setting? Having to eat and drink was nice, but it was unbalanced. Modders added in their own settings that were far superior to the vanilla offering.

jvm

Gamasutra.
So in 10 years, will you be able to play this game "the way it's meant to be played"? Just asking.

I'm trying to think of another medium where you can't experience the original the way it was intended at the time it was shown to the public. Maybe movies with some sort of in-theater gimmick? Not sure.

Burai

shitonmychest57
They say they are charging the lowest amount allowed by platform holders and thus implying that they would make it free of it was entirely in their hands. So why isn't it free on Steam? Will buy for £5 in a steam sale.

They don't mean that at all. They mean the lowest value that they are allowed.

Eusis

Do retailers REALLY require it, or was there just some pressure by a few and they collapsed under it? I seem to recall quite a few games don't have anything, but I'd need to go check.

Would be one of the worst things for retailers to seriously be demanding this pre-order DLC, and for them to take HARD MODE as that. Just put in some fucking Gold Guns if you need to shut them up badly enough.

pa22word

Can we get a mod to change the thread title? It's actually entirely inaccurate:

Koch Media said:
Ranger Mode seemed like the best choice since it was a mode for hardcore fans who would most likely pre-order the game, or purchase it at launch in any case,

From OPs own link. It's included for free in all first run copies.

legacyzero

Banned
Seems like 4A didn't really have much of a choice.

I never played Ranger Mode in 2033, so It wasn't a factor when deciding to pre-order.

I DO like that they denied story based DLC and timed exclusives. Seems like a great compromise.

EDIT: However, it's still stupid overall.

Top Bottom