• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light first run copies have included Ranger Mode, otherwise $5 DLC

"Late to the launch" is in this context is both pretty misleading and entirely meaningless when every copy in print will have access to the content, up until they do a second shipment (which won't be for months).

Hard mode as DLC is bullshit, no matter what the distribution as pre-order/limited edition/first run. Digitally, if you buy from Steam, after launch day you have to pay $5 for hard mode, right? If you're buying the normal physical edition of the game on consoles (is there a physical PC sku? Haven't seen it here in UK), do you have to pay extra even if you buy it at new? Is the limited edition the same price? All of this just complicates things. Remember the 5 different pieces of DLC for LA Noire for different shops and distributions? Why should a customer worry about this business crap when buying a game? It's a bad trend that isn't being discouraged.

The Batman Arkham City Catwoman stuff also soured me, because that was additional story DLC at launch. Now you have to tell the customer whether this is formidable story content or just throwaway single-player levels.

DLC for AAA single-player games is all just weird at the moment. This just seems like on a trend for even more inexplicable bits of game content being cut out.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Whoa! the Hard Mode is considered DLC and has 2 Trophies associated with it...

Oh boy, this will be the ultimate troll... LOL

Person buys new copy down the line, Ranger code expired, has to pay $5 for so called DLC
If it works, they get lucky!

gGsJLw5.png

NoRéN

don't really care. Whenever i read "The way it was meant to be played" all i think is fuck you! Don't tell me how I am supposed to play.

SGRX

I suppose we should be thankful that they didn't include the Ranger mode achievements as part of the base 1000.

Well, thankful for that and the $60 they're saving me. I'm mostly thankful for the $60.

GraveRobberX

I suppose we should be thankful that they didn't include the Ranger mode achievements as part of the base 1000.

Well, thankful for that and the $60 they're saving me. I'm mostly thankful for the $60.

Yeah, it would God Tier Trolling to have added it to the base list

I think cheevs/trophies are going to get fucked next gen, really bad
There will be some good advancements, but then the industry standards will take over and destroy it =[

GraveRobberX

It's been known for a looooong time and people are still acting surprised by it. It really does suck but it's not news really

Maybe some weren't in the know as shocking as that sounds

I mean the game is about to release, so media and PR ramping up, someone saw something they hadn't previously

People who are saying day 1 to now a steam sale make no sense. If you were going to pick it up day one you'd get this mode anyways. A mode that barely 3% of all players actually finished to completion.

Zemm

That percentage doesn't really mean anything. Ranger Mode was added late to the PC version so most people would have completed the game when it wasn't even there. It also cost money on the 360 (as well as releasing late). It would have definitely been played by more people that played it in 2033, how much bigger that margin is will be unknown.

Whoa! the Hard Mode is considered DLC and has 2 Trophies associated with it...

Oh boy, this will be the ultimate troll... LOL

Person buys new copy down the line, Ranger code expired, has to pay $5 for so called DLC
If it works, they get lucky!

gGsJLw5.png

Why do people who only play in Ranger Mode, and not hardcore get a cool star :/

Lingitiz

Found that quote by the DS guy. It kinda reiterates what's in the OP, but I just find the thinking bizzare.

A few questions to answer...

Ranger Mode - it's included in the initial production run of the game. A pre-order basically guarantees it. But it'll also be available as DLC from day 1.

We live in a world where retail demands you have a pre-order offer in place. We figured this was the least abrasive option.

Also - Ranger Mode is really suited to a second playthrough, I'd really advise against jumping straight into it. You need to learn the control scheme before we take the HUD/UI away, it's much more complex than 2033 was.
Why not just put in a dumb extra weapon or perk, TF2 hat, or some other bullshit like that? Why take away an important mode that could drastically change someone's experience? Its just really weird to me. I don't see Metro as a game that's going to light up sales charts, so what's there really to gain by fucking over potential buyers?

Found that quote by the DS guy. It kinda reiterates what's in the OP, but I just find the thinking bizzare.

Why not just put in a dumb extra weapon or perk, TF2 hat, or some other bullshit like that? Why take away an important mode that could drastically change someone's experience? Its just really weird to me. I don't see Metro as a game that's going to light up sales charts, so what's there really to gain by fucking over potential buyers?

Funny thing is they DO have a weapon in it. And 100 military bullets. Don't know why they lumped ranger mode in there too

pa22word

Random, and completely irrelevant righteous indignation

Regardless of your feelings on the matter, your OP was fabricated in order to sensationalize this. Considering it was changed in order to reflect the fact of the matter (which is all I wanted) I'd say that the argument is over, anyways.

Funny thing is they DO have a weapon in it. And 100 military bullets. Don't know why they lumped ranger mode in there too

This is what drives me up the wall. They include the hardcore mode in this pack, stating it's the way it's meant to be played...then pack in a bunch up early upgrades to make the game easier?

Talk about conflicted messaging, lol.

Tellaerin

If you're going to push something as DLC, a difficulty setting is probably the least offensive thing I can think of - to me, it's better than trying to monetize actual content day one. (No, I don't consider DLC that tweaks a bunch of variables to change a game's difficulty to be "actual" content, before you say it.) "Least offensive" still doesn't make it good, though.

I have a little problem with the thread title; first run copies include a code for content which is still locked. I would have sent a 360 copy of this abroad to a 3rd world country by the summer, so no access to live to activate this thing. Personally, I think entering codes to get content on my console would never have been worth the effort, I have not done it before and most likely never will now.

Like everybody says, I won't buy it since I don't like it.

Top Bottom