• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto |OT| NO GIANT SHARKS

gta-wagszilla.jpg

gta3-wagszilla.jpg

As soon as gamers stepped onto the streets of Liberty City, a fictitious amalgam of New York, Chicago, and Boston, it was apparent that gaming was about to change forever.

With the exception of the occasional World War II clone, gamers had always gotten revenge on their enemies by dwindling down hit-points or hitting the boss in the glowing
red spot. In Grand Theft Auto III, however, DMA Design created something fresh and unique by providing the player with unparalleled amounts of freedom - and choice, when
seeking revenge on their enemies. Want to shotgun blast that pimp who needs to get whacked? Go right ahead. Or if you'd rather, snag a drink and throw a Molotov cocktail
into that crowded assembly of two-bit hoods. For the more professional lot, grab a sniper rifle and pop a few Yakuza heads before speeding back to your apartment in your
Mitsubishi Spyder. Whatever the combination, it was sure to be fun for gamers, and deadly for their enemies.

A fully-realized open world full of guns, fast cars, and mayhem would have probably been enough to get the industry's attention but GTA III also revolutionized the gaming
world with the next step in interactive storytelling. Never before had gamers been able to play out a revenge fantasy centered around the Italian mob. This gritty crime drama
was something that older gamers had been wanting for years but it wasn't until Rockstar's GTA III that they got it. The formula for mature storytelling and over-the-top
gameplay was later imitated, and quite often, by knock-off franchises like True Crime, Driver, and The Getaway, but never successfully duplicated.

If that weren't enough, players were given dozens of side missions and countless hours of radio stations featuring custom music and a hilarious talk radio show featuring a
wise-cracking doofus named Lazlow. This overwhelming amount of content led Grand Theft Auto III to fly off shelves everywhere, to the chagrin of parents and congressmen.
To date, GTA III has sold nearly 14 million copies.

Nobody forgets their first.

steam-icon.png
Purchase on Steam
icon-space.png
appstore-icon.png
Purchase on Mac || iOS
icon-space.png
psn-icon.png
Purchase on PSN

vicecity-wagszilla.jpg

For the sequel to Grand Theft Auto III, Rockstar's mantra was seemingly "bigger, badder, better" and where else is a better locale for decadence and self-indulgence than
Miami in the 1980s?

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City only took 9 months to make but Rockstar made good on it's promise, providing gamers with a broader arsenal of weapons, vastly improved gun
controls and melee combat, and a far more polished presentation. An improved lighting engine allowed DMA, now Rockstar North, to bring the glitz and glamour 1980s Miami
to life in stunning fashion. Liberty City's earthy hues had been replaced with vibrant pinks and oranges, murky grey water swapped out for a sparkling clear blue ocean. But
this was more than GTA III with a new coat of paint, Rockstar hired top-notch Hollywood voice talent to provide a even higher level of quality than before and amassed a
staggering amount of hit 80s music to set the mood. Players could even enter (and buy!) houses and businesses, something never possible in GTA III.

Borrowing heavily from Scarface and Miami Vice, the story of Vice City quite appropriately focused on a cocaine deal and brotherhood gone bad, ruined by a out-of-control,
ego, no doubt fueled by the imfamous narcotic itself. With a masterful lead performance by Ray Liotta as the lovable sociopath Tommy Vercetti, an unforgettable score, and
mood in spades, Vice City is often regarded as Rockstar's best story.

Never snort your own supply.

steam-icon.png
Purchase on Steam
icon-space.png
appstore-icon.png
Purchase on Mac || iOS
icon-space.png
psn-icon.png
Purchase on PSN
icon-space.png

sanandreas-wagszilla.jpg

Rockstar had revolutionized the gaming industry with GTA III and delivered a killer follow-up in Vice City, what more did the mad geniuses in Edinburgh have up their sleeves?
Surely Rockstar would taper off, rest on their laurels, and deliver another competent follow-up, right? Savvy fans predicted the game would take place in San Andreas,
the third city from GTA 1, and be based of Los Angeles or San Francisco.

As it turns out, the fans were only half-right. Rockstar founder Sam Houser dropped a bomb on fans in May 2004 when he said, "San Andreas isn't a city - it's an entire state"
and "is made up of 3 cities complete with countryside and desert in between". Clearly Rockstar had no intention of ceding any ground to the competition. San Andreas was a
massive state with shell versions of Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Las Vegas, each with their own distinct features, activities, and side-missions. This was Grand Theft
Auto on a truly epic scale. The cities were mission fodder and interesting in their own right but it was the expansive countryside that cemented San Andreas in the gamer's
hearts as the definitive GTA game.

San Andreas also provided the deepest amount of character customization to date. Players could deck out their avatar in an obscene amount of clothing including pants, shorts,
hats, jackets, sunglasses, jewelry, even flip flops and socks with sandals. Not that you should ever wear the latter. Ever. Fashion faux pas aside, you could even change your
hairstyle and lose and gain weight, get jacked at the gym or gain tubby tits at one of San Andreas' fine deep fried restauranteurs. Oh, and I forgot to mention the fighter jets,
the tagging side-quests, the jet pack, the dual-wielding, the vehicle customization, and gambling mini-games.

San Andreas was closest thing to magic that exists in the world and in the minds of most fans, is an experience yet to be topped.

steam-icon.png
Purchase on Steam
icon-space.png
appstore-icon.png
Purchase on Mac
icon-space.png
psn-icon.png
Purchase on PSN
icon-space.png
xbox-icon.png
Purchase on XBL

grandtheftautoiv-wagszilla.jpg

Perhaps here, things will be different.

These words, soulfully delivered by protagonist Niko Bellic could aptly sum Grand Theft Auto IV and Rockstar Games' effort bringing Grand Theft Auto into the HD-era.

Players were re-introduced to Liberty City, this time a full-on replication of New York City (and New Jersey but hey, no one cares about NYC's ugly sister). The muddy textures
and dodgy animation of yesteryear were replaced by crisp graphics, beautiful lighting, and an amazing looking Havok physics system that gave each action both a physical and
dramatic weight.

Just like the city, the game's protagonist was different as well. The voiceless hired-gun Claude Speed, was replaced by the richly textured immigrant Niko Bellic. No longer were
GTA leads amoral murdering machines, now characters could be seen reflecting on their life, the work they had been doing, they had pondered about making the right decision
when the right one was unclear. The story of Niko Bellic's journey to America and the fight for his soul was contradictory at times but the most engrossing and competent
one to date. While it lacked the panache of Vice City, what it lacked in style it certainly made up for in substance.

And Rockstar finally delivered expansion packs in the form of The Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony, following Johnny Klebitz and Luis Lopez, two characters that
Niko met in IV in the missions "Blow Your Cover" and "Three Leaf Clover", respectively.

Things were different indeed but not everyone welcomed the change.

grandtheftautov-wagszilla.jpg

After Rockstar released GTA Vice City to record sales and critical claim, they could have taken it easy and delivered another competent sequel. What they did instead,
was create the largest GTA game to date with the most amount of content. They publicly admitted shortcomings in Vice City (roads were too flat and straight and as a result,
driving was not as fun) and vowed to improve them.

Fast forward to 2013. Despite record sales of Grand Theft Auto IV, a sizeable amount of the GTA fanbase is crying foul at "Vanilla IV". Once again, series creator Rockstar North
is looking to out-do themselves. Their goal? To surpass San Andreas by making the "largest and most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created". According to Sam Houser,
"GTA V is larger than San Andreas, GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption combined".

That sounds like a pretty good start to me.​

gtasharks-wagszilla.jpg
icon-space.png
icon-space.png
gtasharks2-wagszilla.jpg

Vice City was the reason I bought a PS2, and IV was the reason I bought the PS3. V looks so good. It will be mine.

II may still be best though. ;)

Great OT, OP!

BUSTED!

Booshka

Where mah top down GTA's at?

Edit: There they be!

Hopefully 360 controller works easily with them, although they are probably fine with M+KB.

Of the 3D GTA's, San Andreas is the best to play, but I probably have the most nostalgia for GTA 3 and Vice City.

When the full pack goes on sale on Steam I will definitely bite, always wanted to play them on a good PC, and I just built one a couple months ago.

MormaPope

Banned
Just beat Vice City and IV a couple days ago.

Vice City is insanely short and the actual map size is indeed puny. I remember initially getting tons of water deaths due to hitting a curb to hard and flying underneath bridges. The playthrough I just did was pretty clean, only time I failed a mission was due to Tommy glitching out while trying to fire the revolver.

Police chases in all the GTA's besides IV feel tame and like a game of bumper cars to the death, police in Vice City won't leave their vehicle until you leave yours, they try ramming you to death.

I recently put Vice City above San Andreas, but after booting up San Andreas and being late into the game I regret putting Vice City about San Andreas. Tons of big and small things were changed or tweaked. Such as vehicle physics, draw distance, weapon variety. All of the characters in Vice City are one dimensional, San Andreas has smarter humor and a main character that isn't a huge bully.

shield

I think the V hype has gone to my head, planning on playing the 3D and HD universe games in chronological order:

• Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  • Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
  • Grand Theft Auto III
And then IV & the episodes using this mission order from GTA forums.

Gonna be a busy summer...

UrbanRats

Subscribed.
But yeah, wouldn't mind at least a side mention of GTA1, 2, London, Stories and Chinatown Wars.

I love the banners, though.

Fjordson

Nice thread brother. This wait for V is going to be a killer.

Actually playing through Vice City at the moment on iOS. Still a magnificent game. Though it's funny, going back to this game for the first time in maybe six years makes me realize how small Vice City is compared to modern open-world games. But I never felt constrained back when I first played VC. It's so well built you don't really notice.

Also have III on iOS. Never put any serious time into it when I bought it, but I'll probably try to beat it after I finish VC. The iOS versions are surprisingly nice because of the really good performance compared to the PS2 games. Better frame rate and textures, sharper colors and lighting and less pop in.

Fjordson

Hey, remember when we were all looking at R*'s page, for Trailer 2 to be put up? Remember that day? That day was 6 months ago.
GTAV is only 4 months away. :p
Wow, time really does fly :lol didn't realize that was 6 months ago.

I remember the week or two before the first trailer dropped after they announced it was coming. That was a year and a half ago. Crazy.

well done thread braj

my buddy texted me this pic earlier:

gamestop got my copies of gta4 and max payne3.. might have to hit up target before work tomorrow and do some re-plays

dejay

Banned
Just beat Vice City and IV a couple days ago.

Vice City is insanely short and the actual map size is indeed puny. I remember initially getting tons of water deaths due to hitting a curb to hard and flying underneath bridges. The playthrough I just did was pretty clean, only time I failed a mission was due to Tommy glitching out while trying to fire the revolver.

Police chases in all the GTA's besides IV feel tame and like a game of bumper cars to the death, police in Vice City won't leave their vehicle until you leave yours, they try ramming you to death.

I recently put Vice City above San Andreas, but after booting up San Andreas and being late into the game I regret putting Vice City about San Andreas. Tons of big and small things were changed or tweaked. Such as vehicle physics, draw distance, weapon variety. All of the characters in Vice City are one dimensional, San Andreas has smarter humor and a main character that isn't a huge bully.

The sheer amount of abilities CJ has over Tommy puts SA above VC in my book, despite how much I loved just soaking in the vibe of VC. Being able to climb walls was amazing, as was bmx riding and bunny-hopping (God I hope bunny-hopping returns). Also, not drowning was a bonus.

VC still has the best radio - both music and presenters. It was hilarious, although lampooning the '80s is easy when there's so much material to work with.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I gotta finish Gay Tony before Last of Us and other games start coming out. I remember most everything about vanilla and Lost and the Damned but all I remember about Gay Tony is Tony himself and the ending being difficult.

dreamfall

Beautiful thread! This is going to be the closest thing to home as the painful wait for V occurs during the entire summer.

We gotta get some IV online going!

dreamfall

That is pretty good.

This feels odd to say as a big GTA fan, but I've barely played Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories. Is there anyway to get them these days? Can't remember if they came to PSN.

I think they just came to PSN, at $9.99. I picked them both up- being able to swim in Vice City feels so good!

It's nice to see a different perspective in Vice too!

Robin64

Lack of Chinatown Wars makes me sad. It's actually a damn good GTA and I'd *love* to see a 3DS sequel.

Probably the best top down GTA that has been made, really.

dreamfall

Lack of Chinatown Wars makes me sad. It's actually a damn good GTA and I'd *love* to see a 3DS sequel.

Probably the best top down GTA that has been made, really.

Amen to this!

I really love the banners Butckethead! But we definitely need some Chinatown Wars love in here!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Started replaying San Andreas recently. Dipping in and out, so to speak. Not nearly as horrible as I thought it'd be, but I do appreciate GTA IV's shooting a bit more; it was a marked improvement... even though it is pretty pants still.

GOURANGA!

Probably my favorite series. Couldn't really get into the top down games too much, although I had some good times with the multiplayer in GTA2. Once the series hit the third dimension, it just became about the greatest thing ever.

Raptomex

Idk if anyone is aware but yesterday Rockstar officially added some new GTA V artowk to their wallpaper section. Michael, Frankling, and Trevor. They were revealed already but it's official now.

MormaPope

Banned
Best radio station in the GTA series has to go to Radio X, the strength of the San Andreas soundtrack comes from how relaxing or fun it makes it to traverse the land, city to city.

I need to replay Vice City. Perhaps after IV's DLC.

Where mah top down GTA's at?.
I was pretty tired from making the OT and getting it posted on time also I've only played GTA1 and I did so when I was but a young hatchling so I didn't feel great about including them.

Raptomex

I enjoy Wave and Emotion much more than V-Rock in Vice City.
Yeah well "Real men stand in the rain and listen to [thunger and heavy metal riff]...VROCK"

Actually one of those stations plays Sunglasses at Night. Good stuff.

I almost forgot Flashback FM as well.
I need to replay Vice City. Perhaps after IV's DLC.

I was pretty tired from making the OT and getting it posted on time also I've only played GTA1 and I did so when I was but a young hatchling so I didn't feel great about including them.
The top down GTAs are awesome. I think I like the first one the best. The atmosphere is so awesome. But 2 is a damn good game as well.

Top Bottom