• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft indefinitely suspends production on 1666

Quentyn

After parting ways with former Assassin's Creed designer Patrice Desilets, Ubisoft has indefinitely suspended development on 1666, CEO Yves Guillemot said today during an investor call for the company's 2012-13 earnings report.

"After more than two months of discussions with [Desilets], we couldn't align our vision both on project development and team management," said Guillemot, "so consequently our collaboration has ended, and we have suspended 1666 for an undisclosed period of time."

kdoAQ6a.png

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/15/43...oduction-indefinitely-firing-patrice-desilets

BD1

Banned
Not a huge shock, especially if Desilets is going to bring legal action against Ubisoft for rights to the IP.

What was this game even about, anyways? The London Fire?

jett

D-Member
Ubisoft really is ran by a bunch of dicks. I wish the AssCrud brand would fucking implode already.

Malvingt2

superannuation‏@supererogatory

Ubisoft "indefinitely suspending production" on 1666 is way for them to cancel the game w/o giving back Desilets his IP as per his contract.

Desilets contract specifies that IP rights revert to him in event of the game's cancellation, similar to the arrangement Del Toro had w/ THQ

Ubisoft "indefinitely suspending production" on 1666 is way for them to cancel the game w/o giving back Desilets his IP as per his contract.

Desilets contract specifies that IP rights revert to him in event of the game's cancellation, similar to the arrangement Del Toro had w/ THQ

Fuck you Ubi.

jett

D-Member

get em patrice!

Damn, so no way that Desilets can get his IP back ?!, that's a shame, I really hoped he would get his studio and game back, and we can see it published by Bethesda or something.

I was totally looking forward to 1666.

Any idea if Desilets started doing anything to get his things back ?!

Shinta

Banned

Cold blooded.

Any idea if Desilets started doing anything to get his things back ?!

He said he intends to fight it.

Quentyn

Yeah, just wanted to post that. What scumbags

megalowho

That's pretty fucked. Sounds like business got personal as talks broke down.

1-D_FTW

Did Ubisoft just buy THQ Montreal to spite Patrice or what

I half wonder if they were so spiteful of how it ended, that they purchased it in hopes of finding evidence of theft in the code, in which case they could have then sued him.

Probably doesn't make any sense, but it sure seems like everything about this was driven by spite. So it wouldn't shock me one bit.

inner-G

Banned
If he made something with it, wouldn't Ubisoft have the burden of proof if they sue him yet have no new work to show on the project?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Jesus that is fucking slimy. Is that even legal?

I wouldn't think it long before we find out. If this does go to court, could he not argue that if Ubi can't provide tangible intention of developing the IP, then the game is effectively cancelled and as such ownership should return to him?

Edit: That was a weird sentence. Fixed.

Akahige

well that's just fucked up

black_13

Banned
Man Ubisoft honestly seems just as big dickheads as EA. I bet you Patrice's idea didn't maximize profit so they said fuck it.

Uh fuck off Ubi. I'm really surprised Far Cry 3 was good. Arguably one of the only real good games they made other than the first 2 Assasins Creed games.

Azih

You know Ubi could also deliberately turn 1666 into the worst game ever, buggy, unfinished ugly, offensive, etc. the whole shebang, give it a huge marketing campaign and then push it out to truly fuck with Patrice.

Fox Mulder

It's going to be forever until we see something from him again.

I just cant see how ubisoft bought the studio just to do this, but they could have probably figured this is where it would go.

Malvingt2

Hence the talk of why Patrice is pursuing legal options in order to assume control of the IP Ubisoft optioned.

Kinyou

So they don't think it's worth making a game out of it and at the same time they also don't want to give up the IP....

Fuck'em

UberTag

They won't be satisfied until they crush Patrice into dust.
Can't wait until they buy the rights to the next game he works on.

Malvingt2

Also, Patrice Desilets' contract with THQ was negotiated with the help of Seamus Blackley, who, as you may recall, represented West/Zampella

NewFresh

wilsonofu2s.gif

I don't know what Patrice while at Ubisoft but they have done everything they possibly could to him outside of kidnapping his family.

Hopefully this goes to court. I need to be entertained.

Also, Patrice Desilets' contract with THQ was negotiated with the help of Seamus Blackley, who, as you may recall, represented West/Zampella

Get em Patrice. Slimy corporate moves don't sit well with me at all.

Did they buy the studio out of spite? This makes no sense at all.

They'll use the manpower to work on AC 17 or some other bullshit.

Top Bottom