• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft indefinitely suspends production on 1666

wrowa

Every time I start to think that I like Ubisoft, they do something that makes it worth hating them. What an asshole move. Of course, I don't know what went wrong in the background, but if you don't have any interest in the IP anyway, why spill even more bad blood between you and its creator?

NewFresh

Did they buy the studio out of spite? This makes no sense at all.

Well, if you think about it. They are probably not keeping the IP to simply screw with Patrice. It makes sense to hold on to it as back pocket kind of thing that they would use or not use as they wish. The fucking over Patrice is just the bonus.

Minions

I will be more than happy to buy used Ubisoft games. No love lost here. Enjoy your lost sales. This is pretty pathetic. I hope he gets the rights to the game (as per his contract) and all legal fees and possibly damages due to the delay(s).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm surprised the contract would have a cancellation clause but not a more robust definition of what cancellation means.

CTLance

Sounds like corporate business decisionmaking combined with a teensy dose of revenge. Even if the poor guy manages to sue successfully I bet it'll be a phyrric victory for him.

Confession time: I hadn't heard of the game and him before this thread. Whoops.

Dunan

What was this game going to be about? The London Fire? Isaac Newton? And the subtitle practically writes itself: Annus Mirabilis.

First the "nobody gets a complete version of AC4" nonsense and now this. Ubisoft just keeps punching us in the gut.

Patryn

So they don't think it's worth making a game out of it and at the same time they also don't want to give up the IP....

Fuck'em

They can't take the chance that he'd take the IP and make a hit game. If that happened, they'd look stupid. Better to bury the whole project.

I believe Hollywood does it a lot with scripts and IPs. Better that they pay for it and stick it in a vault than someone actually make something successful off of it elsewhere.

Minions

They can't take the chance that he'd take the IP and make a hit game. If that happened, they'd look stupid. Better to bury the whole project.

I believe Hollywood does it a lot with scripts and IPs. Better that they pay for it and stick it in a vault than someone actually make something successful off of it elsewhere.

I think it is very different when there is a clause for the rights to change if you cancel the movie. I think he should have had the contract have a "release before x date" but I'm sure they would never agree to such a timeline. . .

Scrabble

Patrice should just go to take two. I don't know why ubisoft wouldn't just let him make whatever he wanted after how successful Assassin's Creed has been for them.

Zapages

Ubi became evil after PoP 2008's sequel was canceled and what they did to the Prince of Persia Fanbase.

If I was allowed to make a thread again or someone would bring the attention of the bigger gaming sites (gametrailers) to what I have to share about my site and my friend's forum. Then the gaming populace would be shocked in horror as to what occurred over the past 4 years or so.

UrbanRats

iCnAI9xXsPRCt.gif

That's just evil.

I'm starting to suspect that perhaps Patrice is actually a puppy-drowning bastard because there's no way someone, who by all accounts is a lovely guy, can be this unlucky... right?

Le sigh.

njean777

Clever move by Ubisoft, but WTF did this guy do to deserve this? There has to be more to this story then Patrice's.

Move on Patrice, it fucking sucks but Ubi are being salty as fuck about the whole thing. Until you show that your focus is elsewhere they will keep it limbo.

Ocaso

Jesus that is fucking slimy. Is that even legal?

I suppose we'll have to see how it ends up, but this sounds similar to what happened to Alan Moore with Watchmen. His contract with DC apparently specified that the rights to Watchmen would revert to him once the book was out of print. DC never intended for the book to be out of print and continues with the rights to this day. Alan Moore hates them, but DC got their way. Ubi may win out here as well.

Ubi going in for the full on grudge fuck, I see.

There is behind the scenes animosity that played into this, but seeing a creator forcibly parted from his IP is bad in any case.

IHaveIce

Banned
Wow I don't really want to support Ubisoft anymore after all this shit story with Patrice.

Shame I will not resist buying Watch Dogs

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I knew someone who was a consultant for Ubisoft, and the paychecks kept coming. As funny as it sounds, you can only take liberties outside of the company, akin to the way the retired reviewers have more say in game development now.

Jac_Solar

I find it weird that there's so little violence in the corporate world. Is it because it's so hard to find someone to blame, but even if you did, they might be on a different continent? Or because they have systems in place to maintain a sort of illusion that they are working on improving the situation?

I find it weird that there's so little violence in the corporate world. Is it because it's so hard to find someone to blame, but even if you did, they might be on a different continent?
Partly that, and partly that violence will not better your situation.

Chake

Banned
Ubisoft got lucky with assassin creed being a successful seriers. Without it, i could see the company in the same fate as THQ.

I find it weird that there's so little violence in the corporate world. Is it because it's so hard to find someone to blame, but even if you did, they might be on a different continent? Or because they have systems in place to maintain a sort of illusion that they are working on improving the situation?

It's called bullshit.

Eusis

By definition corporations are organized group of people, and that generally would require people willing to work together and compromise rather than go out for each others throats. Well, and you'd go to jail for it, which is why it'd usually be saved for trying to overthrow a government rather than a corporation.

Too bad I've already stopped caring about ubi or anything they are making after seeing what they did to the Assassin's Creed series or this would make me not want to buy their games anymore.

Even Watch Dogs no longer excites me after playing Assassin's Creed 3 and Liberation.

yami4ct

So they don't think it's worth making a game out of it and at the same time they also don't want to give up the IP....

Fuck'em

Common business practice in creative fields, especially Hollywood. The company doesn't believe in it enough to actually make it, but if they gave it up and someone else made a boatload of cash, it would look terrible to stockholders. Television is really the only creative industry I know of that actually lets IP go to competitors on a regular basis.

It's stil a shit thing to do, but relatively common.

Top Bottom