• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is a real ad in 2013

Meier

I hope this doesn't get me in trouble under the "scans" rule. I was flipping through a recent ESPN the Magazine and saw this ad:

83dc8c9ac10511e296c422000a9e0891_7.jpg

This ad just screamed 90s to me when I saw it. Why aren't they looking at the screen?! Beyond that, the quote is from the perspective of the child when the target audience for this magazine is obviously men. If they wanted to stick with this concept, the quote should have been from the dad and stressed how his son can help him win (or how he can help his son win).

I was shaking my head when I saw it. Every bit of advertising, whether internal or otherwise, surrounding this system has been an abject failure.

Ein Bear

Nintendo's advertising is terrible. I'd like to see them do something other than families mugging at eachother in soulless living rooms for a change.

Elios83

It's embarrassing.
The kid says something that the father should be thinking...LOL and that 80s overall look.

This ad just screamed 90s to me when I saw it. Why aren't they looking at the screen?! Beyond that, the quote is from the perspective of the child when the target audience for this magazine is obviously men. If they wanted to stick with this concept, the quote should have been from the dad and stressed how his son can help him win (or how he can help his son win).

I was shaking my head when I saw it. Every bit of advertising, whether internal or otherwise, surrounding this system has been an abject failure.

I think you missed the point of the ad there. Every dad wants to be loved by his son. The whole point of this ad is showing how happy the son is that he's working "together" on a game with his dad. Quality father and son time, basically.

That aside, it does totally look like something from the 80s or early 90s.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Dad gets to have all the fun.

Is this mode really fun at all?
Or is it like when I used to give my kid brother the 2P controller and let him "play" with me in my single player game.

SJRB

Gold Member
The quote is from the perspective of the child to show that buying your kid a Wii U and play the DEFINITIVE version of Most Wanted makes your kid love you and bond with you.

Dads see this and think "I want my son to bond with me just like that kid is bonding with his father", go out and buy a Wii U.

Bonding bond bonds.

Makes the Wii U really look like a family console, yeah? As a kid, all you could ever want is your dad staring at you while playing a game.

RoadDogg

I see no issue with the perspective. It is targeting dads because dads will want their kids to feel what Jordan feels. Targeting kids with that angle is a horrible idea, no kid is going to be sitting around thinking to themselves "Man I wish I could help my dad beat games more often".

Uh yeah. You guys are missing the point of the ad. I guess that's an actual fault on the ad itself though.

And btw, I would totally buy this version if I had a younger son to play with. He can fuck around with the world around me while I am driving around and vice versa. Sounds actually fun and a perfect way to just play with your kid. Also helps that this version looks pretty great graphics wise.

D-e-f-

Banned

MCD

Wiimote + another controller is what killed the Wii U for me.

Please kill the Wiimote. NO MORE FORCED WAGGLE IN MY ZELDA.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Cringe-worthy...

I see no issue with the perspective. It is targeting dads because dads will want their kids to feel what Jordan feels. Targeting kids with that angle is a horrible idea, no kid is going to be sitting around thinking to themselves "Man I wish I could help my dad beat games more often".

Right. I mean the ad's execution is meh, but the ad is clearly playing on insecure fathers who want quality time with their sons.

"I'm not sure, as I read this ad, if purchasing a Wii U will help me as a father bond with my son, but now that I've noticed the text of the word bond is highlighted in yellow I'm sure that it will. Thank you Nintendo, now I know exactly the message I should take from this."

This is an EA ad. Nintendo has nothing to do with it?

Is it though? The bottom of the page is missing which would give us more of a clue.

Just because it's an EA game doesn't mean Nintendo didn't do the marketing for it. It does look awfully Nintendo-ised. Especially when you consider the bottom left picture includes the Gamepad and console etc - normally you'd just get a console logo if the third party is doing the advertising.

eg. Sony do PS3/Vita specific FIFA adverts in magazines.

EDIT:
Just an EA ad, right?

ozbupq2.jpg

And my point proven :p

Top Bottom