• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This is a real ad in 2013

The_Lump

Banned
It's not like this was targeted at the 'hardcore' gamer. If it's going after parents, then it's a good advert imo. This sort of sh*t worked for Wii so I don't blame them for trying.

Still, it's awful for the rest of us to look at.

xXJonoXx

TKUq13J.png

This made me laugh. At least now the dad is actually playing Most Wanted and can see where he is going.

It's not like this was targeted at the 'hardcore' gamer. If it's going after parents, then it's a good advert imo. This sort of sh*t worked for Wii so I don't blame them for trying.

Still, it's awful for the rest of us to look at.

You can go after parents without looking like an ad for soup from 1995.

Sethos

Banned
Why can't they just create some attention to an ad like that, do something random, then you really start paying attention.

1rsjrt.png

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
EA influenced ad is bad. Other one's alright.

Bob White

"This is a Wii for U."

"Oh shit, it's not selling to the gamers we shunned last gen with bullshit wii fit games!"

"This is a Wii for U...and your family!"

GulAtiCa

Yup.

I didn't really care about the ad but this was hilarious.
"It's EA! It's EA! It doesn't matter if it's in the same style as a Nintendo ad!"

To be fair, EA's own trailer for the game was very similar with a Dad & Son setting with showing off the co-driver stuff.

That's the only reason I originally thought it was an EA ad and not an Nintendo ad. Kind of surprised Nintendo choose to make an ad for this game.

I understand why they are having problems with these ads. Asymmetric multiplayer is a very hard thing to describe. "So, we're playing together but player 2 is doing something totally different? But equally fun?"
A stumbling block when it is the main feature of your console. Surely they can do better than this though!

Duster

This UK TV advert for Lego City seems to be going for the divorced Dad market too, there's no way the room with the TV would be so tidy if the kid lived there permanently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLNllVP2XOk

Btw the £50 price tag mentioned in the advert is $76 which is hardly going to win people over, you can get it almost £20 cheaper in many place though, the most expensive I can find is Tesco charging £42 ($64).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So the dad's not playing the game because he's not looking at the screen (and not just like a sideways glance to acknowledge how awesome it is having his son there, his entire body is turned away from the television!), and the son's not playing the game because he's on he home screen on the controller.

Surely there must have been SOME other way to compose this shot that could better convey the same message.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
How the company doing the Wario viral marketing and this ad are the same is beyond me.

"Every bit of advertising, whether internal or otherwise, surrounding this system has been an abject failure. "

This is the most important part of the OP. Its just been sooooo horrible .

This is how the Wii U SHOULD be marketed, IMO. This kind of setup is the system's biggest selling point - aka "little brother mode" as Weekend Confirmed's Jeff Cannata put it last year. The more games that take advantage of this unique setup, the better off the console will be. It's just that it's not terribly easy to tell that story via mass marketing - certainly not as easy as showing someone "swing" a tennis racquet as with Wii Sports.

It ain't for me, but I can see why families would love it.

It ain't for me, but I can see why families would love it.

This is what gets me with the tone of this thread. It's not a great ad, but there's a "how dare they not cater this to ME" attitude that I'm picking up here (and quite a few other instances, i.e. check out every Wii Mini thread).

Well, at least they have Nintendo's bread winner market worked out.

Yep. Crazy dancing fools and soccer moms.

You really have to wonder how this kind of advertising clears a marketing department. Print advertisements are already somewhat antiquated within our medium, and it seems even more ridiculous when you consider it's in a Sports magazine. Maybe I'm wrong, but that magazine's clientele doesn't seem to be aligned with Nintendo's market.

B.O.O.M

Why isnt the dad looking at the tv lol.

The power of wiiu makes such actions redundant!

OT: Even for a casual market I don't think this is a good ad. It just looks so boring. I swear replace this with a new grill or something and it won't be any different. They need to be more creative than this.

Heck I asked my sis about the WiiU and she was like "oh is it out yet?" lol

Axonometri

I hope this doesn't get me in trouble under the "scans" rule. I was flipping through a recent ESPN the Magazine and saw this ad:

83dc8c9ac10511e296c422000a9e0891_7.jpg

This ad just screamed 90s to me when I saw it. Why aren't they looking at the screen?! Beyond that, the quote is from the perspective of the child when the target audience for this magazine is obviously men. If they wanted to stick with this concept, the quote should have been from the dad and stressed how his son can help him win (or how he can help his son win).

I was shaking my head when I saw it. Every bit of advertising, whether internal or otherwise, surrounding this system has been an abject failure.

Poor casual Dad and Son are so confused they are looking at each other instead one of the screens!

UberTag

Jesus fuck these WiiU ads are tragic. Though to be fair for the marketing guys, they've been played a bad hand
That's no excuse.
The video montage crew in the WWE manage to turn shit into gold.
Whereas these WiiU marketers are only succeeding in turning shit into... even bigger piles of shit.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
ad problems:

the wii u gamepad implementation sounds terribly unfun.
pushes the idea that the wii u is for kids.
looks like a 90s ad.

Top Bottom