• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OXM: Huge Xbox 360 announcement at E3 will keep console "vibrant for many years"

iMax

OXM said:
Microsoft Game Studios exec Phil Spencer has declared that the company will continue to support the Xbox 360 platform for "years to come," despite revealing its long-term next generation plans yesterday with Xbox One.

Speaking to Gamespot, Spencer also claimed that the company has a "huge" Xbox 360 announcement up its sleeve for next month's E3.

"I think the [Xbox 360] is going to be very vibrant for many years. In fact, we have a huge [Xbox 360] announcement for E3 that I keep wanting to talk about, but I can't," Spencer said. "I think it will surprise people. I loved what we did last year with Minecraft; bring Minecraft to the box; six million units later it's kind of a beast. I think there's a lot of life in the [Xbox 360] for years to come."

Any thoughts as to what that 'huge' announcement might be? Meanwhile, Microsoft hardware group general manager Leo Del Castillo recently told OXM that the Xbox One is designed to be more about flexibility and elegance than sheer brute force. If you're interested to find out what games have been announced for the Xbox One, you can find them all in our very handy one-stop guide.
Source

Theorymon

I'm guessing this is related to that rumored Xbox 360 Mini. I hope so at least, I have soooo many XBLA games to catch up on, I don't want that to die too early!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
New redisign with no disc drive and a rebrand so they can drop the 360 name.

Minions

This makes a lot more sense actually. Microsoft has basically gone an all digital model (alas with physical discs only for inital installs). I wonder if they will continue to release disc based 360 games...? (I guess they need to since the 360 hard drives are small as hell)

PC-Like Upgrades?
League of Legends?
Mini 360?
Another controller?
That light-room thing?
HALLO5?!?!?!!!!?!!

No! It's free Xbox Live for only $70 a year!

When I saw the Xbox One, I thought "wow, they left room for the Mini inside of it".

Rebuying GoD versions of even just the favorite games I have on disc would cost over a thousand dollars.

Poona

It better be that Xbox mini that as heavily rumoured and that allowed you to then hook it up the Xbox one for play of 360 titles through it.

I hope it's that, but if it is why couldn't they simply announce it already? Would help quell much of the negativity surrounding everything, and whilst it isn't great as having built in bc at least it is better than having the clunky regular 360 plugged into another port when a smaller device can simply run off the Xbox one.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Software-wise, Diablo III and League of Legends are probably the only major candidates for really exciting, possibility-to-be-popular software. Maybe World of Warcraft or Titan, although I doubt anyone is going to launch a first-run product on an end-of-life hardware. I guess another option would be somehow being able to play Windows 8 apps/games, although that would definitely not be all that exciting.

Hardware-wise, it's gotta be cheaper, it's gotta be smaller.

Either way, I'm pretty confident that whatever he's talking about, it's not going to surprise me :p

Top Bottom