• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

999 (iOS) coming in English for "autumn"

LiK

So the Japanese version was released today (find the thread here) but Uchikoshi just mentioned this on his twitter.

http://www.twitter.com/uchikoshi/status/339619229621968896

aTgdHwe.png

--------

Why did they remove the Escape Rooms?

Uchikoshi on why they cut the puzzle stuff:

理由は「パズルゲームはちょっと苦手なんだよねー」という方々にも、ぜひこの物語を知って頂きたかったからです

We cut the puzzle sections because we wanted people who weren't good at puzzle games to be able to enjoy the story as well.

Essentially, there were people saying "I suck at puzzle games but the story looks really interesting ='(" Hence the sound novel approach.

He also goes on to say that if newcomers feel like they want a little more, they should definitely grab the DS version with puzzles.

It's also worth noting that 999 iOS has a Flowchart, which is fucking awesome.

No puzzle rooms, and a core element of the story probably doesn't make any damn sense now.

I'd be curious about a VLR port though. That was hand-made for a touchscreen-only system (Vita), and could benefit from losing some of the puzzles.

Yay?

I'm happy for the people that will finally get to try the first game if they didn't have access to the DS version, but at the same time I'm a bit wary of this version for some very specific spoilery reasons. Hopefully some impressions will pop up soon.

Though I would still strongly suggest that anyone new to the series start with the DS version if they can. Also, NEWCOMERS, PLEASE DON'T READ ANY SPOILERS ABOUT THIS GAME. IT DEFEATS THE ENTIRE PURPOSE.

Even though the absent puzzle rooms suck, there's a much bigger issue that anyone familiar with the game should be worried about. A MUCH bigger issue... :/

Ridley327

what happens to all the dialog from the puzzle rooms?

Well, one of the screens is from one of the first rooms, so I imagine they'll stay intact.

Unless you mean the fun little banter while interacting with whoever you're with, which would be a tragedy later on.

Non-plot related spoilers
So help me if they got rid of the cheerleading bit...

Aeana

Yeah, screw actually finding out how things are handled in this version. I declare it garbage right now.

vareon

Is this an Ace Attorney HD "autumn"?

EDIT:

Okay, since I am planning to get into the series and you guys don't seem happy with the changes: without being spoilery, can I know why I should choose the DS version instead?

Eusis

Why no Android T_T What's the point of my 5inch 1080p screen if I can't enjoy any of this goodness?
Bet it comes later. Or so I'd hope.

EDIT: No puzzles? Well, the game IS 75% story so for anyone that just doesn't want to give a damn about those this is probably fine.

LiK

Yeah, screw actually finding out how things are handled in this version. I declare it garbage right now.

lol

EDIT:

Okay, since I am planning to get into the series and you guys don't seem happy with the changes: without being spoilery, can I know why I should choose the DS version instead?

if you can get the DS version, get it since that's how it was meant to be played. i'm gonna repost the explanation he gave for the cuts in the OP.

Fuck yes! I'll get this and probably the 3DS version of VLR as soon as I'm done. I was hoping there would be some more reasonable way to play this game, it's too odd to have it unavailable with a sequel out there that people warn you off if you haven't played the first.
They reprinted the DS version, it's not that hard to get a copy of.

HardRojo

EDIT:

Simple, the DS game has all the content, this is a barebones edition.

backlot

I seriously think the game is better off without the puzzle segments. Sure, maybe they were fun once but after your first play through they just become impediments to seeing the story.

Don't care that the escape segments are out, I'll still be buying this day 1 just for the enhanced music and updated graphics.

2 games on iOS this year, I've never bought two games for my iPhone within 6 months of each other. If all these ports keep happening, I may have to invest in an iPad.

I seriously think the game is better off without the puzzle segments. Sure, maybe they were fun once but after your first play through they just become impediments to seeing the story.
The repeating of puzzles was lame, but I think a better solution would be just including an option to skip them after you beat them once.

理由は「パズルゲームはちょっと苦手なんだよねー」という方々にも、ぜひこの物語を知って頂きたかったからです

We cut the puzzle sections because we wanted people who weren't good at puzzle games to be able to enjoy the story as well.

Essentially, there were people saying "I suck at puzzle games but the story looks really interesting ='(" Hence the sound novel approach.

He also goes on to say that if newcomers feel like they want a little more, they should definitely grab the DS version with puzzles.

Raika

Sure, remove the meat of the game from the game. If that's the case why not just put it on the iBook store as a book or something.

LiK

that's a better translation. added to OP. thanks bro.

Sure, remove the meat of the game from the game. If that's the case why not just put it on the iBook store as a book or something.

I don't think you understand that sound novels/visual novels/adventure games have had a place in the Japanese market for a very long time.

Top Bottom