• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Swapper |OT| that other new indie game jon blow loves

Salsa

iAkUvWZg1maEN.png

Holder of numerous awards and accolades, the Swapper is an atmospheric puzzle platformer set in the furthest reaches
of space. Players wield an experimental device able to clone the user and swap control between them. Dropped into
a character and world as mysterious as the workings of the device itself, The Swapper is a game of exploration of
a very personal nature.

All of the art in The Swapper is constructed using clay models and other everyday materials.

The Swapper is supported by Indie Fund.​

Release Date: May 30th on Steam - $14.99 / £11.99 / €13.99
25% off first week​

ivGb7xsPORCV8.png
ibtE8art4l7ujx.png

Noogy

I stopped by their booth a few times at PAX East since it always caught my eye. Very excited to try it out.

Ledsen

Even tough this game will probably be $1 bundled with 5 other games within 6 months, I'll probably pick it up tonight.

SparkTR

The quicklook is up on GB, I don't recommend watching since it's spoilery. The game may be around 10 hours or so.

Salsa

Boo to this subtitle. Should have emphasised that we finally have another stop-motion game. They're so uncommon!

I felt kinda guilty but I dont think the game is getting much press and people tend to pay attention to what blow says

everytime ive mentioned this game to anyone it's always been met with "ohh that's the game jonathan blow was raving about"

I felt kinda guilty but I dont think the game is getting much press and people tend to pay attention to what blow says

everytime ive mentioned this game to anyone it's always been met with "ohh that's the game jonathan blow was raving about"

Fair enough, ha. It definitely deserves more attention.

devo1989

So this game is really great so far. The ambient music is really making all this puzzle solving quite relaxing. This thread should be more active...

Ledsen

Just bought this to support the dev. Really looking forward to trying it out if I get a chance during the weekend.

Played 1 1/2 hours so far and while I don't see what's so mindblowing about it yet, the puzzles definitely make you think in ways you aren't used to and it's really pretty.

The narrative seems to go into an interesting direction, but so far it's mostly throwing fragments of gibberish at me, which I generally don't like. I read it gets better and forms an understandable story later on tough.

Dakota47

"Now you're thinking with clones." Interesting gameplay. I enjoyed my first hour with it.

The game looks great btw. I really dig this kind of art direction. Can't believe it's all hand made.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This is really quite exceptional. I like how it organically teaches you things. Instead of finding special abilities to navigate to new areas you solve puzzles and then apply the techniques you learned solving the puzzle to move to areas you thought were impassible.

Very very clever stuff so far. The atmosphere is fantastic too.

I can't praise the game enough. All the elements work so wonderfully; the story is especially intriguing. The writing is so well-done. Visually it's one of the best looking indie games I've played. The aesthetics are fleshed out and consistent. Feels like Alien/Moon hybrid. Music is EXCEPTIONAL.

I don't know what more to say, it's so worth the cost. I played about 3 hours and feel there's still a few hours left. And color me surprised that this is actually all hand-made. WOW.

You can buy the game from the website; you get a Steam key as well as the soundtrack. Or you can get the soundtrack from:

http://carlocastellano.bandcamp.com/album/the-swapper-original-soundtrack

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
This is the first I've heard of it, it looks really visually pleasing, and from the little gameplay I've seen, it seems to be somewhat solid. Now I don't know whether to buy it now or wait for the summer steam sale....

Blizzard

Banned
I didn't realize the game was Claymation, watched the trailers, added it to my wishlist, and am kind of interested now. I rather wish I hadn't watched that GIF though. :/

justjim89

This game is fucking brilliant. I always get stumped by puzzles in games, but I've been able to figure out every one in this so far. Just got past the 15 orb door. The solutions just seem so ... organic. You have a very limited set of tools, so it inherently limits the amount of things you need to try. Fucking hell this is satisfying.

epmode

I'm liking this so far. It would be worth playing just for the art so it's nice that the game is good too.

Oh and I love that the UI scales perfectly to high resolutions. It's really stylish.

I'm always amused by the way this forum goes a little crazy whenever a public videogame figure dares to have an opinion on something. Heaven help us if it's an independent developer.

I like how it organically teaches you things.

I'm only an hour in, but I'm already impressed by the subtle touches that help you understand the techniques. For example,
the presence of moving gears in the room where you learn to teleport up/down spaces helps you realize that right-click aiming slows down time.
I love elegant design, and this game is nailing it so far.

prophecy0

I'm around two hours or so in. I've collected
around 30 orbs
so far and the game is starting to get pretty difficult. I've had a blast, but I'm stumped by 3 different puzzles right now so I think I'm going to call it a night. I am pretty sure I can go ahead and progress the story, but the completionist in me doesn't want to progress until I've collected everything possible.

Top Bottom