• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Swapper |OT| that other new indie game jon blow loves

Yuterald

*SPOILER Cloning Up GIF*

That stuff is definitely my first WHOA moment.

EDIT: Got a bit excited! :p

Same here. Actually, once I figured out how to "clone up" and "clone down" the game instantly clicked with me. I bought this on impulse and played a shit ton of it already. I feel like I got really far. All the puzzles are so perfect and digestible. Everything's just clicking with me so far. Loving this. Gotta say a lot of these Indie games as of late have been really doing it for me (especially having just come off the amazing, GOTY material that is Xeno Clash 2!) =D

Lingitiz

Anyone know how long this is? Just wondering if I should buy and start playing right away. I don't really want to start it and then put it down due to other stuff.

sheaaaa

Enjoying this so far. Can't really tell it's claymation though.

The puzzles are just taxing enough to keep them interesting and the vibe is pretty interesting. Anyone have any idea how long the game is?

Fabrik

Banned
Do you think this game would be playable with a controller?
They really need to put it on PSN, XBLA or the EShop.

Enjoying this so far. Can't really tell it's claymation though.

The puzzles are just taxing enough to keep them interesting and the vibe is pretty interesting. Anyone have any idea how long the game is?

I'd guess 5-6 hours depending on play-style. I've got about 3 hours on the game and it feels I'm past the halfway mark a bit. Supposedly there are multiple endings as well...
Also the puzzles really pick up later on. I'm stumped by a few of them that I just can't figure out. We'll see how it goes next session. Fucking love the game so much.

PaulloDEC

Just getting started on this, and it's pretty amazing so far.

If I had to describe the feeling it offers, I'd say it's like Duncan Jones' Moon mashed up with Abe's Oddysee, The Neverhood and a pinch of Dead Space.

Very cool.

d00d3n

Excellent game as far as I have played. Graphics/production values are much better than what I expected and the core mechanics are fun.

Anyone else getting slowdowns sometimes when moving around the flashlight? Vsync related maybe?

Atomski

How is this thread not bigger? What an amazing experience so far. Up there with Limbo for me.

Buy buy buy.

I feel like most of neogaf is focused on next gen junk.. not enough focus on game discussion.

Seeing most the threads each day PS4/Xbox One is really starting burn me out and its only going to get worse come e3..

Anyways am going to start this tonight after work, looks and sounds great.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The map setup is really slick. It makes managing your current goals super easy which is nice when you have like 6+ rooms to figure out.

prophecy0

Excellent game as far as I have played. Graphics/production values are much better than what I expected and the core mechanics are fun.

Anyone else getting slowdowns sometimes when moving around the flashlight? Vsync related maybe?

I'm having performance issues as well. I have a relatively powerful computer (i7 920 @ 3.8GHz, GTX670) and even with VSYNC off I get no more than 35fps, and it frequently dips down to around 20. Due to the nature of the gameplay it doesn't ruin the experience, but it is frustrating.

Moobabe

I feel like most of neogaf is focused on next gen junk.. not enough focus on game discussion.

Seeing most the threads each day PS4/Xbox One is really starting burn me out and its only going to get worse come e3..

Anyways am going to start this tonight after work, looks and sounds great.

Yep - so much of GAF is "tired" of gaming until the new consoles come out.

This right here is creativity - how can you possibly get bored when games like this exist - absolutely awesome so far.

This game is so atmospheric it makes me so warm and fuzzy inside. I love the story as well. The lighting is absolutely amazing. It fits the mood so perfectly.

NeoGAF doesn't play games, just love arguing endlessly about them :p

Got to give more time to this, I have a feeling this will get even better. Could be a GOTY contender.

justjim89

Can someone please clue me in on how to solve this room? I run out of clones and can't figure out how to get rid of one. Any clues?

09818B9E62DFA9451FEB300E39B559F3BA91AAB8

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The problem with helping someone with the puzzles is that they are designed in an abstract enough way that I kinda just forget the solution immediately afterwards. I remember finishing that puzzle, but to help or even hint I would need to just replay it.

justjim89

It's just that there's no way to kill another clone without killing the clone holding down the top switch for the door. Banged my head against this for a solid half hour before moving on.

prophecy0

It's just that there's no way to kill another clone without killing the clone holding down the top switch for the door. Banged my head against this for a solid half hour before moving on.

I got stuck on that one for a long time myself, and just gave up on it. I'll revisit it tonight to see if something clicks.

Just beat the game, it's relatively short, my Steam playtime says 4.8 hours.
I'll play it again to find some of the super secret hidden messages (only found 1/10 and I actually tried to look around) and for some reason I missed Log #13 and Watcher #23, if those even exist, since they're normally shown on the map.

As I said, really pretty game, great puzzles, interesting narrative, not sure if the $15 pricetag is appropriate though. Not as much content as I would have liked, the crazy amount of polish kind of makes up for that though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Can someone please clue me in on how to solve this room? I run out of clones and can't figure out how to get rid of one. Any clues?

09818B9E62DFA9451FEB300E39B559F3BA91AAB8
I halfway remember that from PAX ages ago. This small hint may or may not apply:

You can control a clone by running against a wall.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just finished it. Out of the whole set I'd say there was only one puzzle that I didn't like the design of. Amusingly enough, it felt like a very Braid puzzle to me.

wow absolutely loving this game so far. really good stuff. who ever said moon/alien hybrid pretty much hit the nail on the head. dat atmosphere!

I played for about two hours. Figuring out puzzles is a rewarding experience for sure, I didn't want to get burnt out though so I'm done for the night. Figuring out the
floating mechanic
was mind blowing, especially because the environment teaches you through the puzzles instead of being tutorialized through words.
Floating and pushing yourself around space with the swapping gun is also awesome.

The title to this OT sucks, it has nothing to do with Jonathan Blow besides him gushing over it. It should be something like The Swapper |OT| Not Another Clonevania. I still like you though SalsaShark.

Dario ff

Banned
Just finished it after 5 hours. I like how the game lets you skip puzzles and come back to it later (you'll need to anyway) instead of just being stuck if you can't figure it out. That kind of design means they can introduce way harder puzzles early on without worrying the player might get stuck. I think most players should be able to solve them if they keep progressing with the easier ones. Very interesting how it teaches you a lot of new techniques with absolutely nothing else than the prompts at the start of the game to left click / right click.

I had no idea there were any super secret rooms tho, nice to see a game that doesn't give achievements freely! Going through it again doesn't seem a big deal since I already know the solutions.

Blizzard

Banned
Just finished it. Out of the whole set I'd say there was only one puzzle that I didn't like the design of. Amusingly enough, it felt like a very Braid puzzle to me.
How long did it take you? I'm like 2.7 hours played according to Steam and have like
40-60 orbs
collected.

And for anyone who's in the middle, did you get a log entry #13? I can't see any unexamined memory terminals on the map, yet there isn't an entry #13.

Also one quick question about an audio comment halfway through the game:
The voice says something about "Did you see any survivors" like she was going to follow up with "did you wonder why that is?", but I died as she was talking and she didn't repeat it. Does anyone happen to remember if she said anything else at that point in time? It was before I got to the solar panels.

Assuming I'm halfway through, the puzzles are pretty clever, the atmosphere is good though the visuals are ultra vague and blurry, and mostly only the text and plot kind of bug me. I'll write more when I finish.

Just beat the game, it's relatively short, my Steam playtime says 4.8 hours.
I'll play it again to find some of the super secret hidden messages (only found 1/10 and I actually tried to look around) and for some reason I missed Log #13 and Watcher #23, if those even exist, since they're normally shown on the map.

As I said, really pretty game, great puzzles, interesting narrative, not sure if the $15 pricetag is appropriate though. Not as much content as I would have liked, the crazy amount of polish kind of makes up for that though.
Whoops just saw this. So maybe log #13 doesn't exist, or else it's hidden. I don't think I've found any secret
rooms or messages but I don't know what they would look like if I did...
I've been trying to explore most areas of every room and solve every puzzle as I come across it, but I haven't been checking solid walls for hidden doors or anything like that.

Just finished the game. Can someone clarify the endings to me?
I chose to swap, what would be if you decide to stay at planet?

Well, that was fantastic.

And yeah, I didn't even see a hint of any secret rooms.

There's one in the gardens, hidden behind the wall in the pit. There's message from home number two, didn't stumble upon any others.

Wok

As a puzzle-platformer, the game is a really good one. The mechanics are not explained, but the level design is smart and we get to understand how things click together.

Blizzard

Banned
*edit* Found the hidden room mentioned in
the gardens -- I was trying the wrong pit -- and it had the message in it.
Thanks.

Still no
watcher #23, watcher #29, or log #13 though.

I'm surprised this game isn't getting more attention. I'll be honest, I had no idea what I was looking at when first seeing the trailer weeks ago. Seemed awfully vague, but the artstyle had me intrigued. All the positive buzz is tempting me. Only thing holding me back is I'm not sure if I've grown tired of puzzlers. Maybe when I get some extra steam credit off the marketplace.

dsk1210

I had a quick shot yesterday. set up a pinnacle profile so i could lay on the couch with it, seems great, lovely art style, not really got into the meat of the game yet though.

Will have a good playthrough today.

Top Bottom