• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Swapper |OT| that other new indie game jon blow loves

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wow this room was a complete bitch to solve. Took about an hour on it's own. It looks so innocuous too.

Damn, I don't know if I could have pumped an hour into a single puzzle without wanting to give up. I feel fortunate with that puzzle that it clicked pretty quickly.

GOTY. GAF, what is wrong you, 3 pages for this game is embarrassing.

Maybe if it was exclusive to one console the thread would be larger.

EasyMode

OT tag that will turn some people off who think Blow is pretentious.

I'm not sure if it helps or hurts the thread overall. I'm kind of indifferent towards Blow and Braid, but it was his name that made me notice the thread, which then convinced me to buy the game.

Completed it yesterday, a very beautiful, atmospheric game. This game has some of the nicest textures I've seen, everything looks tangible. One of the puzzles at the excavation asteroid baffled me for an hour, I've never felt so dumb. Then when it was solved the solution seemed so obvious and simple.

I'm gonna replay this on my TV & surround setup, and look for the hidden rooms this time. Too bad the game doesn't have controller support, hopefully Xpadder will do the trick.

I vote for |OT| Not your average Clonevania, but I'm biased :)

I'm not sure if it helps or hurts the thread overall. I'm kind of indifferent towards Blow and Braid, but it was his name that made me notice the thread, which then convinced me to buy the game.
I don't have a problem with Blow at all, but I did have a sour taste in my mouth after reading it. I know there are plenty people who don't like Braid and enough people who would get turned off on the idea that "oh, an indie circle jerk, gross"

Joe Molotov

Wow this room was a complete bitch to solve. Took about an hour on it's own. It looks so innocuous too.

Haha, yeah. I think that one was the hardest for me.

Edit: Or this one.

Can someone please clue me in on how to solve this room? I run out of clones and can't figure out how to get rid of one. Any clues?

09818B9E62DFA9451FEB300E39B559F3BA91AAB8

Those were the two that made my head hurt the most.

M3z_

Finished the game in 5 hours, was made to think this game would be more like 10. Either way this game was fucking fantastic, really fucking fantastic. Worth every penny.

Only found 2 puzzles that really confounded me for extended periods of time. So many things done so well with this game, voice acting, atmosphere, aesthetic, puzzle design, story, what more could you want?

Anything beyond 124 orbs?

fleck0

Finished the game in 5 hours, was made to think this game would be more like 10. Either way this game was fucking fantastic, really fucking fantastic. Worth every penny.

Only found 2 puzzles that really confounded me for extended periods of time. So many things done so well with this game, voice acting, atmosphere, aesthetic, puzzle design, story, what more could you want?

Anything beyond 124 orbs?

I was surprised too when I beat it in 4 hours after Patrick from Giant Bomb has said he was 5 hours in during the quicklook. Though I've seen plenty of people say 7+ hours as well. Regardless it was worth it, best puzzle game I've played since Antichamber.

Found myself yelling "Fuckin' A!!" a lot after finally solving most of the later puzzles

Played about 2 hours of this last night, I'm absolutely loving it so far. The puzzles are just the right difficulty and I appreciate how some of them require some dexterity to get just right. The atmosphere and presentation in general is top notch, and they kind of give the game a Dead Space vibe to me (oddly enough).

I can't wait to see what else this one has in store for me. I'd be surprised if this game doesn't eventually end up on other platforms.

elfinke

I played 30 minutes using Xpadder and it does a pretty decent job. Here's the settings I used with default keybindings:

Also, I think this game's textures are too pretty to be obscured by DoF so I turned that off:

Beautiful screenshots. God this game is stunning. I just want to reach out and brush my hand across some of the textures.

I added this to my wish list after watching about 2 minutes of the GB quick look.

pje122

Hello hello!
Having a technical issues I was hoping someone could help with.
The game boots just fine, the menu(s) looks fine, but whenever I go into the game everything is VERY VERY green... at first I thought it was supposed to be this way. But after about 10 seconds I realized something was seriously awry...
Anyone else had this issue?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hello hello!
The game boots just fine, the menu(s) looks fine, but whenever I go into the game everything is VERY VERY green... at first I thought it was supposed to be this way. But after about 10 seconds I realized something was seriously awry...

I didn't have the issue, but try switching to windowed mode and potentially turning off depth of field or some of the other video settings to see if one of those is causing it.

Hofmann

Hello hello!

Haven't got any problems as well. Maybe try to update your GPU drivers, this usually helps.

pje122

Blizzard

Banned
I thought the game was super blurry and vague-looking. Those screens without DOF look really nice, so I want to try that for sure.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just beat it. Took 4.5 hours without any cheating, did it all myself. Fantastic game, nice to play a puzzle game with some actually challenging puzzles for once.

pje122

Correct.
Latest Nvidia drivers. Switching video settings on and off changes nothing... running out of ideas here...

Sloane

Banned
Cool game, even if it's "just another indie puzzle platformer". Decent atmosphere, intuitive gameplay, some puzzles that just make you smile once you've solved them -- wouldn't say it's amazing but definitely one of the best games of its genre.

Yeah that's my last resort I suppose. But so far no luck with that either. Thanks for the support, though.

I found this on the Steam forums

What about computers with 2 GPUs, like Intel+AMD or Intel+Nvidia?
It seems the drivers don't default to the higher end gaming GPU when The Swapper is started. You may need to manually switch to that GPU to be able to run the game. How this is done depends on your drivers

It might also be possible to right click the game executable and choose the GPU the drivers switch to when it's ran. The game executable is TheSwapper.exe in the folder opened by right clicking The Swapper on Steam library, then clicking Properties -> Local files -> Browse local files.

I had a similar problem. What has fixed this for me is to go to the program directory right click and tell it to run with my High performance graphics processor. I can only assume it must have been trying to use the Intel graphics.

Maybe this helps?

pje122

Yeah, I read that before, about the " right click and tell it to run with my High performance graphics processor". When I right click on the .exe there is no option to pick what GPU or whatever to run it with. I'm on Windows XP, though. Maybe on 7 or 8 it gives that option?

EasyMode

Yeah, I read that before, about the " right click and tell it to run with my High performance graphics processor". When I right click on the .exe there is no option to pick what GPU or whatever to run it with. I'm on Windows XP, though. Maybe on 7 or 8 it gives that option?

Hmm, I was wondering about how to select which display adapter to use for an .exe, and Google lead me to this solution for a different game:

Open NVidia Control Panel (you can normally right-click your desktop and open it through the context menu, otherwise it's probably in your start menu).

In the Control Panel, under the Desktop menu, make sure that "Add "Run with graphics processor" to Context Menu" is checked.

Now you can right-click the .exe and select "Run with graphics processor" -> "High performance NVidia processor".

pje122

See... I have the latest Nvidia firmware but in the Control Panel, under the Desktop menu, I don't have "Run with graphics processor to Context Menu". Not sure why.

Ledsen

Do you get more abilities at some point? I've been to some rooms that seem literally impossible unless I have one more clone or something similar. Or is there some way to kill clones you're using to hold up doors?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Do you get more abilities at some point? I've been to some rooms that seem literally impossible unless I have one more clone or something similar. Or is there some way to kill clones you're using to hold up doors?

You never get more abilities.

No new skills. You can get rid of clones by either touching them with the one you are controlling or having them fall to their death. You will need to use both those things to solve several puzzles.

Ledsen

You never get more abilities.

Yeah I realized I was just being stupid, solved the ones I had trouble with. Just solved the 4 switches one, that took a bit of maneuvering to be sure. I figured out what I had to do pretty quickly and getting there took about 10-15 minutes. How many orbs are there? Answer in spoilers please. I have

Hofmann

Yeah I realized I was just being stupid, solved the ones I had trouble with. Just solved the 4 switches one, that took a bit of maneuvering to be sure. I figured out what I had to do pretty quickly and getting there took about 10-15 minutes.

When you know what to do it only takes like 10 seconds to reach the orb.

Ledsen

When you know what to do it only takes like 10 seconds to reach the orb.

By "know what to do" I mean
I realized I had to trap one clone with the orb, then stand on the four switches with my remaining 4 dudes. Trapping one clone took a few minutes. Then I had to figure out that I had to get one clone of each gravity orientation to stand right above/below each other on one switch, then clone them onto each other switch, then jump to kill one to be able to cover the last switch.

PaulloDEC

Ick, that was one of about five rooms that I ended up using a guide to solve. I thought the difficulty curve was pretty good through most of the game, but towards the end it ramped up like crazy, to the point where even watching the solutions on youtube was making my head hurt.

Also, I think this game's textures are too pretty to be obscured by DoF so I turned that off:

Wow, it looks great with the DOF switched off! Can't believe I never thought to try that, might have to jump back in and take a look.

Hofmann

By "know what to do" I mean
I realized I had to trap one clone with the orb, then stand on the four switches with my remaining 4 dudes. Trapping one clone took a few minutes. Then I had to figure out that I had to get one clone of each gravity orientation to stand right above/below each other on one switch, then clone them onto each other switch, then jump to kill one to be able to cover the last switch.

That's not how I did it. You stand in the middle, on the right side of the gravity changing mechanism, create clone on the top left switch. Then flip upside down, do the same with bottom left switch, move to the left as far as you can. Create next one on the bottom right. Swap to the top left clone standing above him and jump to erase ceiling clone. What's left to do is to create top right one and fifth one next to the orb

Like I said 10-15 seconds.

I've barely heard about this game and I completed it yesterday, also with
124 orbs
. But I think I missed visiting a couple of rooms.

An absolutely awesome game. The puzzles were extremely fun and sometimes very challenging yet simple. It's pretty much a perfect game, for what it is.

Ledsen

Just finished it, 5 hours on the dot. What a great game, although I wish they'd done more with the story and setup.

so I started playing this, and had to stop after getting the swap ability. I stopped because this game is beautiful, but you can't slow down and walk. the game calls out to be explore slowly.

so I shoot off an email to the developer. I almost didn't, because years ago when I bought oblivion on 360, I wanted to be able to turn off the HUD, for better immersion, and emailed Bethesda, only to get no response. they then released 5 or more dlc and never included the option.

less than a day later, I get a response saying it is the best feature request they have received, and that it is already in the code, maybe just needing some tweaking. they went on to say that an "ultimate atmosphere update" just might be on the way.

holy shit. they actually read my email and responded, and are probably implementing it.

the game is on hold for me for now, but I am fucking excited for this if it does indeed come.

Indies > big guys

buy this fucking game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
so I started playing this, and had to stop after getting the swap ability. I stopped because this game is beautiful, but you can't slow down and walk. the game calls out to be explore slowly.

so I shoot off an email to the developer. I almost didn't, because years ago when I bought oblivion on 360, I wanted to be able to turn off the HUD, for better immersion, and emailed Bethesda, only to get no response. they then released 5 or more dlc and never included the option.

less than a day later, I get a response saying it is the best feature request they have received, and that it is already in the code, maybe just needing some tweaking. they went on to say that an "ultimate atmosphere update" just might be on the way.

holy shit. they actually read my email and responded, and are probably implementing it.

the game is on hold for me for now, but I am fucking excited for this if it does indeed come.

Indies > big guys

buy this fucking game.

Your mistake was thinking that a console release would ever get that kind of feature patched in. The PC version already had that feature with command lines and is always the platform you should buy a game on if you intend to remove a hud.

Jex

That's not how I did it. You stand in the middle, on the right side of the gravity changing mechanism, create clone on the top left switch. Then flip upside down, do the same with bottom left switch, move to the left as far as you can. Create next one on the bottom right. Swap to the top left clone standing above him and jump to erase ceiling clone. What's left to do is to create top right one and fifth one next to the orb

Like I said 10-15 seconds.

Yeah, that how I solved the 4 button room as well. It's a pretty clean solution.

calder

I bought this while it was on sale a while back but only started playing it tonight - it's fucking awesome. Amazing art and audio (haunting in every way) and absurdly good puzzles. After an hour I had to force myself to stop.

The first time I created a clone in mid-air as a stepping stone to a far off platform without a thought, only to watch his space suited corpse crumple at the bottom of the shaft with a sickening thud, his/my busted suit hissing oxygen... good stuff.

As I said I'm an hour in, so until I learn otherwise I'm going to assume my character is Hugh Jackman as Robert Angier.

taybul

I played this through to the end after purchasing it and was very impressed. The story was just as deep/interesting as some of its contemporaries and the puzzles were genuinely difficult. Now, I had read in some review that some of the puzzles required some razor sharp accuracy to pass and I was intrigued by this challenge at first but I found this simply wasn't the case. I saw where it might've applied but then I would re-think my approach and the solution would be fairly straightforward and easily repeatable.

The 4-switch puzzle everyone seems to loathe, for example:
This did take me a bit and all my attempted solutions involved "discarding" a character by crushing him with the first block. Something didn't seem right so I thought "I know all 4 have to be standing on a switch" and also noticed that the far switches didn't trigger either of the first 2 blocks, enabling me to use the first block and the wall underneath to get rid of a clone by simply having it walk all the way back to one on the switches. From there it was trivial and actually felt satisfying.

What kind of sucked was at the end where
you were given a choice to swap or stay but once you made your choice you couldn't go back.
Also, those
messages from home which I feel I discovered by sheer luck.

flowsnake

Just managed to finish. Definitely a game to be digested slowly. I was dreading the four switches puzzle but it turned out fairly simple in the end. Like most of them, I suppose.
Feels good to not have to cheat on any puzzles.

Really good atmosphere and interesting puzzles. Not sure about the story, but it had its moments.

Play this game.

(Regarding the title, if this is the "other" game Jon Blow likes, what was the first? One of the other Indie Fund games?)

Top Bottom