• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Swapper |OT| that other new indie game jon blow loves

llamarawk

so I'm considering biting on this right now, but hate platforming without a controller. Are the KBM controls okay in/for this game?

Hofmann

so I'm considering biting on this right now, but hate platforming without a controller. Are the KBM controls okay in/for this game?

I was concerned about it too, but knowing how swap mechanics work in this game, I'm quite sure the KB/M combo is the best solution. It's really intuitive, so don't worry about it.

epmode

Keyboard and mouse is ideal for this game, honestly. You need some pinpoint accurate clone placement.

Does it even support a controller? I thought it was kb/m exclusive.

low-G

I am loving the heck out of the game so far. Fresh feeling, great atmosphere, puzzles not TOO hard and making me feel brilliant.

AHA-Lambda

Just finished the game, enjoyed it although i am ashamed to admit towards the end I needed to consult a walkthough for some of the puzzles, really don't think I'd have done them otherwise :(

Can anyone who has finished the game help explain the story? To be honest, I found it really quite confusing given that through most of the game it took a back seat and was open to interpretation in some elements but then came hitting in full force at the end, I really don't understand what some of the things that happened meant in any significance =/

Blinck

Just finished this.

Freakin great game. Amazing atmosphere and puzzles. So sad that this seems to be so overlooked on GAF :(
What a great game. The music is fantastic as well.

I need to play it again though, to understand the story better. I think I'm terrible at understanding these kinds of stories the first time...

FINALBOSS

Banned
Loving this game as well.

The difficulty of the puzzles definitely spikes quite a bit though.

The last 3 I breezed through in about 1 second flat, but now this 4th one has taken me FOREVER. The ones where you're down a clone off the bat are very very tricky.

Stoze

I beat this last night as well, it was excellent. Definitely in my top 10 games for the year. There were a few tricky puzzles but I managed to get past them, and then the very last puzzle I attempted completely stumped me. I had played around 5 hours up until that point, and spent an hour trying to figure it out.

I was thinking about getting a hint from this thread, but later the next day I booted the game up again and solved the puzzle in 5 minutes. Funny how that always works.

Excellent atmosphere and an interesting story, and the puzzle design was pretty ingenious for the most part. The puzzles are incredibly small and mechanically simple, and you have one tool to solve them throughout the game with no upgrades. Yet, the game designers thought of nearly everything you could do with that tool, and designed puzzles around them to be challenging enough and satisfying.

Some of the puzzle design did feel a bit off though, but there's so many good ones that they didn't stick out too much.

My biggest annoyance was with the ending, and this doesn't spoil any puzzle design or plot but I'll tag it just in case:
The game has alternate endings built on a choice you make at the very, very end of the game, and it autosaves after choosing one. So you have to replay the entire game or youtube the other ending. I hate that shit.

Awesome game. As always, indie games continue to completely floor me.

vermadas

Just finished this. Amazing game. Didn't earn any cheevos though; apparently you have to find secret rooms for them? I never found any :-/

Just finished; what an utterly stunning game. I chose the selfish ending, and after looking it up am slightly annoyed at myself for missing out on the poetic and rather more poignant alternative. I only had to look up a couple of the solutions towards the end of the game, it did a good job of training you on the mechanics, as discovered when returning to the 'mono' orbs I had missed previously.

It pulls off atmosphere and mixes video-gamey elements with narrative through mechanics in a way that makes it all seem so effortless, easily the best game I've played this year.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'll be starting this over the weekend. I'm really excited. Anything I should know going in?

Not really other then you can solve ever puzzle you encounter when you first run into it, there are no extra abilities unlocked over the course of the game.

Chaplain

I have a question about The Swapper. I have been thinking about buying it today since its on sale on Steam. There is currently no support for controllers on this game, but someone did manage to make a controller profiler for this game. I was wondering if anyone has tried the following profiler for the game?

Fix controller support for "The Swapper"

sflufan

Banned
Without question, The Swapper is one of the best -- if not THE best -- works of science fiction in any medium to be released in years.

Good sci-fi should be a thought provoking exercise through the ideas it presents and this is something that The Swapper accomplishes superbly. The game's atmosphere is haunting and lonely with an absolutely compelling sense of mystery. This is to say nothing of how gorgeous the game's 2D graphics are as well as the great puzzle-based gameplay.

Simply put, The Swapper is the leading candidate for my personal GOTY and I really do hope that it's given serious consideration by the gaming press.

Finished this today. I really don't know how some of you beat this under 6 hours. Maybe I took too much time exploring finding those secret rooms. That and the last puzzle was a bitch. I spent almost 3 hours trying to figure it out.

So what I like most about the game was the atmosphere, which was incredible. The really minimalistic approach worked really well. The puzzles were great, some of them quite challenging.

The only thing I didn't enjoy was the ending. I don't think it delivered, but I'm still trying to let it sink in and understand what it meant. Overall, pretty good game. One of the best I've played so far this year.

eot

Banned
It's okay to bump OTs right?

I picked this up on the halloween sale and just played through it, what a great game. It executes everything it tries to do damn near perfectly. From simple things like having a good map to looking amazing and having fantastic atmosphere. It's criminal that this game seems to be overlooked. The actual puzzle mechanic is great too. It simple in concept yet it lasts the entire game without extra additions. Obviously they add a few things in the levels, but your abilities never change and that's strong design in my opinion.

I did expect the game to be a bit longer though. Not that it's small, it actually feels quite large, there's a ton of puzzle rooms, it just felt like you could go through most of them them very quickly. Towards the end there was one or two challenging puzzles, but I would've liked to see a few more. Still a fantastic game though.

Lingitiz

Just finished this today. This game is nearly perfect and really had no fat to it. The puzzles at the end were quite challenging and the ending really stuck with me.

This is honestly one of the best pieces of science fiction in gaming that I can think of. It executes the concept of cognitive estrangement through its mechanics so damn well.

Everyone needs to play this game. It's really something special.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Damn stuck on a ridiculous puzzle. Pretty awesome game so far, and the last one I'll be playin' this year.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I thought this game was really neat until the last 10% or so where the puzzles just got ridiculously frustrating. I really stopped having fun with some of those annoying puzzles that require you map out the relative positioning and do weird jump 'n swap actions to get it just right. I ended up getting to the final part only to discover that I was about 15 orbs short with no teleporter nearby.

Maybe not make it open ended if you're going to require the player to solve every puzzle in the end anyway?

I ended up just exiting the game and YouTubing the endings, which were honestly quite disappointing.

Amazing atmosphere, beautiful, and great early and mid sections, but the last parts left me rather sour on it.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I have to ask this because it's killing me. In the very beginning of the game, you go into like one of the first doors, I think it's marked "Sector 24". You don't have the gun yet but there's a ledge above it marked "Sector 25" that you could get to if you have the gun. I meant to go back to see after I got the gun, but I went too far and got to a part where it wouldn't let me go back. Is there anything there? I though about starting a new game to see, but I don't know if it will delete my current save which is about an hour in with 24-ish orbs.

An-Det

I have to ask this because it's killing me. In the very beginning of the game, you go into like one of the first doors, I think it's marked "Sector 24". You don't have the gun yet but there's a ledge above it marked "Sector 25" that you could get to if you have the gun. I meant to go back to see after I got the gun, but I went too far and got to a part where it wouldn't let me go back. Is there anything there? I though about starting a new game to see, but I don't know if it will delete my current save which is about an hour in with 24-ish orbs.

Just checked, there's no way to get back there, so I doubt there's anything hidden. At the beginning after getting the swapper there's a puzzle where you put all four copies on different pressure plates to raise four walls, and right after is a clearing light, so the first area is gated off from there.

Also, if you ever want to replay the game without losing your current progress, you can create a new profile in-game and it'll be a different save. You can switch between profiles at any time.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Just checked, there's no way to get back there, so I doubt there's anything hidden. At the beginning after getting the swapper there's a puzzle where you put all four copies on different pressure plates to raise four walls, and right after is a clearing light, so the first area is gated off from there.

Also, if you ever want to replay the game without losing your current progress, you can create a new profile in-game and it'll be a different save. You can switch between profiles at any time.

Cool thanks, I like exploring as much as possible and as soon I saw that ledge I thought I could get there once I got the ability. Puts my mind at ease knowing it's just nothing.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Love the game! Pretty sure the achievements are bugged though. Have found at least five of the secret rooms/messages, but no achievements have popped

Greatly enjoying this game so far. However, I reached the point where you need 124 orbs to proceed yet I only have 120, and I need to access the quarantine/garden area to get the remaining. The problem is I didn't activate the Lond-Distance Teleport Machine when I was there. Is there any other way to get back to that area?

Wow, never mind, I'm an idiot. The Teleport symbol wasn't showing, but I didn't know that I could still click on the location where it's supposed to be and warp there. Argh, 2 hours of my day wasted XD.

Just bought this on Vita a couple of days ago - there doesn't appear to be an OT for the re-release and I don't think there's much point in starting one. I've played about an hour and so far it's pretty incredible. The atmosphere is amazing and I love the desolate sense of isolation and otherworldliness. Juggling this and Rogue Legacy at the moment, and both are equally brilliant in different ways.

Tizoc

Just bought this on Vita a couple of days ago - there doesn't appear to be an OT for the re-release and I don't think there's much point in starting one. I've played about an hour and so far it's pretty incredible. The atmosphere is amazing and I love the desolate sense of isolation and otherworldliness. Juggling this and Rogue Legacy at the moment, and both are equally brilliant in different ways.
There is a discussion thread if u searches for it in general :p

Ricker

Haha,stuck pretty early in this and if its what I think I need to do,I am done with this game...its the room after you see the big arrow sign pointing up...do I have to create and switch and create and switch during the fall to reach the lower ledge...? this seems impossible.

Ricker

Hm, it shouldn't be hard. All I can think of is that maybe you're not slowing down time when you do it.

I am in fact not slowing down time...playing on the PS4 I never saw a tutorial on how to do this...going to check the controls or the instruction manual then,thanks.

Nerix

Really a great game. Fantastic atmosphere, minimalistic but intense story and difficult puzzles. Finally I managed to solve them all without a tutorial, but some of them took up quite a bit time.

This evening I will complete it, and will post a video with some puzzles and story sequences.

Top Bottom