• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4s digital library lets you play your games anywhere & on anyone’s console

“You can visit your friends house you can log into your account and play any game from your digital library, which is good. But how useful is that if it takes half a day to download the game you want to play? With Play As You Download you get much quicker access to at least the first section of the game so you can start playing quicker. So this makes a digital library a practical option in the real world.”

“A similar system also works on Blu-ray, chunks are automatically copied to the hard drive in the background. This means that after the first few minutes your game can rely on having faster read speeds from the hard drive. Which provides a better experience for players, and this is a completely background process for the player. They don’t have to wait for anything to install before playing the game. The game will launch as soon as the disk has been put in the drive.”

Source: OPM

Famassu

Oh wow, this is quite awesome. I wonder what kind of limitations this has? I'd assume at least the kind that only one PS4 has access to the digital library at a time. Any timelimits?

LevityNYC

Banned
its-happening-ron-paul-gif.gif

balohna

Hahahahaha, so MS dropped this shit when they 180'd their DRM and now Sony is doing it for digital games PLUS they have DRM-free physical games.

Xbox 90 incoming.

Ill probably never use it personally, but the whole "family plan" line of thinking is a good idea and I'm glad they're using it.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Hotness.

TBH I'm most excited for being able to play every PS4 game on Vita also!

Has almost everyone ITT lost their minds? Except for the optimization of downloads/installs PS3, Xbox 360 and Xbox One all do this.....

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Do people not understand that this is business as usual for all account based systems (except wii u) or am I missing something?

Defect

This is nothing like the Xbone's family plan.

It is the same as 360 and Ps3. You log into your account, download the game you already bought, play.

The only difference is now you can play while it is downloading.

Errr. no it doesn't? Doesn't it have a only once in a year time limit when doing that?

That is if you want to license transfer. You can always go to a friend's house and log into your account and download and play.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Does this mean they're switching to the 360 DRM scheme? I'd rather have a set number of authorized consoles than 1 home console and a requirement to log into my account on any other console I want to play my games on.

farisr

Basically the same system as PS3, but they're just highlighting the new partial install system/play off the disc capabilities of the ps4 now.

Xbox One (from the info that's been released so far) has to install the entire game before playing it and cannot play a game right from the disc either. Good to see Sony finally promoting this (AFAIK) differentiating feature.

Edit:
Okay, cool to see. Must have missed that install while you play thing before (obviously) due to the many negative aspects of the documentation before.

So yeah, disregard everything I said above.

jond76

Banned
Has almost everyone ITT lost their minds? Except for the optimization of downloads/installs PS3, Xbox 360 and Xbox One all do this.....

People can't wait to scream that PS4 is better, it seems. You have to sign into your account. Reading comprehension here is dreadful.

PedroRVD

It is not like Xbone.

You have to log in with your account to download a digital game. Just the way we can do with our 360 and PS3 already.

Xbone was going to let us share a game with different users.

oti

Banned
Nice, but where are all the Family Program comparisons coming from? It's just the way it always was with PS3 and Xbox 360, just more comfortable. Am I missing something out?

Top Bottom