• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe & Zack Norman (Interstate 76) team up for new Kickstarter: MotorGun, 650k

MotorGun - Return of the Auto Duel
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1517270521/motorgun-return-of-the-auto-duel?ref=category

568c92565e43c0a3fd2900f53ff39252_large.jpg

Goal: $650,000
End date: Friday Aug 16

The Game:
MotorGun will weld real world car physics and a diverse set of realistic cars to a set of amazing weapons systems of all kinds. It puts you in control of a deep set of customization elements - from paint to payload, it's all up to you. As you play you'll advance and be exposed to an ever-deepening set of vehicle tech-trees, blowers, turbos and sway bars - heat seekers, miniguns and rocket pods. Try you hand in multiplayer combat in the wasteland. To the victor goes the spoils. It's the culmination of over two decades of car combat video game pedigrees and it's commin' at you at wide open throttle.

MotorGun utilizes an archetypal RPG-based three class system – Light, Medium and Heavy. Within each of the three classes, vehicle specifications can be upgraded according to their individual attributes, available weapons slots, and capacities.

126bd4024d67df847f5d4f459e226c1b_large.jpg

The Team:
The 1992 US Olympic Men’s Basketball squad might have coined the term Dream Team – but in order to create MotorGun we decided to follow along the same idea! We’ve managed to bring together our very own Dream Team which includes the most influential and successful vehicular combat designers of all time: David Jaffe (creator of the Twisted Metal and God Of War series) and Zack Norman (creator of Interstate '76) are key members of the team steering the game's creative vision.

4132919f66263408fa9899bb6f23ee2c_large.jpg

But we didn’t stop there… Scot Kramarich – Lead Designer on Interstate ’82, Designer on Interstate ’76 and Senior Producer on Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath is also on board for the ride!

Other key members of the MotorGun team include coder Rafael Paiz – Senior Programmer on The Matrix: Path Of Neo and Lead Programmer on Redneck Rampage, Kingpin Life of Crime and Return To Castle Wolfenstein, and designer Tomo Moriwaki – Producer on Medal Of Honor 2010, Designer on Call Of Duty: Finest Hour, and Creative Director on Spider-man 2.

Last, but by no means least, we have Chanel Summers – by day a video game rock star whose experience ranges from high-performance 3D vehicle simulations to pioneering work on multiplayer online combat games – and by night an actual rock star who has recorded and performed with numerous headlining artists, and will be MotorGun’s creative adviser on all things audio.

The Goal:

We need to raise $650,000 to fund our experienced team and do this right. To build the game we all want from the ground up we will be creating three classes of vehicles and all their weapons, armor and upgrades, entirely original post-apocalyptic environments, as well as implementing the game play modes, vehicle physics, visual effects and online match-making. We also intend to create top-quality sound design and music. From the beginning, we’ve structured the project with a flexible budget and scope in mind, so if we reach our initial funding target, we have a list of great content and features waiting in the wings which we can add into the mix through a series of Stretch Goals

Any additional funds we raise beyond the initial $650K will go towards implementing Stretch Goals. This will enable us to build extra in-game content such as single player campaigns, new environments, vehicles, weapons and upgrades available at launch, as well as additional play modes and functionality. Because we want MotorGun to be a truly community-focused collaborative project, we are also engaging with our campaign supporters to ensure that any additional Stretch Goals are representative of their wishes.

image-294665-full.jpg

I'm always up for a new vehicle car combat game, so this one really caught my attention. Given the people working on this project, I think it is worth making a thread for.

MoeB

popcorn.gif
their goal amount seems a bit low for a game of such scale.
where is the lunch with jaffe tier?

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
It makes me sad that they even need to do a kickstarter to get this thing made. But it sounds really cool( I loved all the PS1 car combat games) and I wish them the best.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Is Twisted Metal truly dead that we need Kickstarter to get a car combat game :(

It's a shame. Twisted Metal 2012 was flawed, but it had a lot of great things going for it. Me and friends still like to play it when we can.

Really wish Jaffe would try something different than car combat. It's like he's stuck in a time warp. I just don't think the genre has the same appeal as it did in the 90s.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Maybe David jaffe should face the reality that the twisted metal success is just a fluke, and move on from making playstation-exclusive car combat game

Truespeed

The can of Alpo on the desk was nice. But, I like the concept because the PC needs more games like this with high production values.

ElRenoRaven

You know I'm tempted but it seems to be more team orientated. I prefer to play good old classic death match like modes. Doesn't seem there will be some judging by the kickstarter page either.

but with David on board I'm very tempted to donate anyway.

NoPiece

I wish they talked a little more about the world. I'm not so interested in pure car arena combat, but loved exploring the world in Interstate 76 and the original Autoduel. Driving outside cities in Autoduel blew my mind at the time.

pc-game-remakes,Z-X-333069-13.gif

Das-J

Law of the West
Interesting... sure loved me some Interstate 76, but the MP for this needs to resemble the latest Twisted Metal as little as possible.

What they're pitching sounds awesome though!

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Just to be clear:

1- I'm super excited to be part of this project as a creative advisor. Very excited to be doing some press and talking about it in that capacity and- of course- contributing to the design and the game itself. But I'm not Lead Designer, I'm not directing it. Best to think of my role more like one of several exec producers or creative consultants on a movie. But this is not the game I'm currently directing and lead designing with our new company.

2- Our new company is not Pixelbionic (the folks developing Motorguns). They are up in Orange County. Our new company- called The Bartlet Jones Supernatural Detective Agency- is the dev we making the game (unannounced) upon which I serve as Lead Designer and Director. We are down in the Gaslamp district of downtown San Diego.

Thanks for letting me clear that up! And please: consider tossing a few bucks towards Motorguns! It's gonna be fun! :)

Thanks!

David

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I live so close to the Jaffe... mmmnnnmmm....

Just kidding, good luck with the new title. Though I must admit I'll be sad if Twisted Metal is never seen again.

AwShucks

Backed. I'm a huge Jaffe fan so I'm a bit biased. I'd pretty much pay for anything he makes.

Edit: wait... Isn't this the game that he is basically a creative advisor for? Hmmm...

-MD-

Twisted Metal was my 2012 GOTY. Single player sucked but man that multiplayer. When it worked nothing could compare.

Very very excited for this one.

will back for Jaffe but i'm not that exited to play another wasteland themed game. Gray&Brown destroyed cities getting a little boring here!

Elixist

It is similar to Twisted Metal. If you remember a big bus and playing it on PS1 then its Vigi8.

ah yep i checked some youtubes too. that was my shit never played interstate 76 then, but if its the same devs probably a good game.

will back for Jaffe but i'm not that exited to play another wasteland themed game. Gray&Brown destroyed cities getting a little boring here!

theres a snow level too in the concept art, so i dont think it'll be as 1 dimensional (artistically) as that.

theres a snow level too in the concept art, so i dont think it'll be as 1 dimensional (artistically) as that.

Okay +1 for one snow level, but its still going to be a wasteland :D (and snow levels are probably going to get cut as they wont have budget to make winter models of the cars or something)

Should have gone the Interstate'76 route of having all cars brand new, with guns bolted on to them. Post apocalyptic rust buckets with random bits and pieces is a bit boring after all these games :D

Sounds solid, but I don't think I'll bother donating. Multiplayer-only indie games are a risky venture - as it's difficult to ever obtain the necessary audience to really make the game work. And exactly how involved is Jaffe with this project?

Talyn

Agreed. Given that the guy that created Interstate '76 is involved I don't know why they aren't doing something in that vein, set in the late 70s or early 80s with classic muscle cars modified for combat. That would certainly stand out more than yet another post-apoc themed game with souped up dune buggies and the like. Plus another funk heavy soundtrack like Interstate '76's would be amazing.

Elixist

Okay +1 for one snow level, but its still going to be a wasteland :D (and snow levels are probably going to get cut as they wont have budget to make winter models of the cars or something)

Should have gone the Interstate'76 route of having all cars brand new, with guns bolted on to them. Post apocalyptic rust buckets with random bits and pieces is a bit boring after all these games :D

im with ya btw im burnt out on the "burnt out' style too. Im hoping its more varied, i think the cars look pretty cool , madmax esque i guess. If its like vigi 8 i'd love to grab it if it comes out.

Wonder if it'll reach its goal, man its not tracking so good right now tho.

Top Bottom