• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe & Zack Norman (Interstate 76) team up for new Kickstarter: MotorGun, 650k

Just to be clear:

1- I'm super excited to be part of this project as a creative advisor. Very excited to be doing some press and talking about it in that capacity and- of course- contributing to the design and the game itself. But I'm not Lead Designer, I'm not directing it. Best to think of my role more like one of several exec producers or creative consultants on a movie. But this is not the game I'm currently directing and lead designing with our new company.

2- Our new company is not Pixelbionic (the folks developing Motorguns). They are up in Orange County. Our new company- called The Bartlet Jones Supernatural Detective Agency- is the dev we making the game (unannounced) upon which I serve as Lead Designer and Director. We are down in the Gaslamp district of downtown San Diego.

Thanks for letting me clear that up! And please: consider tossing a few bucks towards Motorguns! It's gonna be fun! :)

Thanks!

David

That's a fucking cool company name.

Jaffe, don't make mobile/tablet games, stay real and do something for Steam or PSN/XBL.

p3tran

Banned
Wow! Interstate 76 dude!
I dont know if you are reading this, but I really loved your game back then! 8)

You and David, I have to say that this looks good.

I hope whatever David's other new games main focus is on being a great singleplayer narrative driven game. I've never really been into car combat.

disap.ed

I was a Vigilante 8 guy but I liked Twisted Metal as well.

shit was Vigi 8 the one im thinkin of? is it like twisted metal?

Interstate 76 is the franchise that spawned Vigilante 8 right ? I loved that game as a kid.

Yep, the two games were massively different though. If Vigilante 8 was an arcade style game, Interstate '76 was a simulator.

These posts made me look for what happened to Luxoflux resp. their founders (Luxoflux has been killed by Activision).

It's founders Peter Morawiec and Adrian Stephens founded Isopod Labs, doing smaller games (also a Vigilante 8 port (?) for XBox Live Arcade). Would love them to do a Vigilante8 title again, either official or a spiritual successor.

Grinchy

Banned
It's a shame. Twisted Metal 2012 was flawed, but it had a lot of great things going for it. Me and friends still like to play it when we can.

I have no facts to back this up, but I get the feeling that Jaffe had a lot of ideas for the new Twisted Metal and Sony stepped in and squashed the majority of them. I think he went in excited to be making it, and then it turned into a crappy job with generic requirements and a lack of creative input.

Would definitely back something along the lines of Interstate 76, such a great game. This one though...I'm not feeling it so far.

Ploid 3.0

This is like Sonic and Mario creators getting together on a platform game. I loved TM, and like Interstate 76 a lot too.

kuppy

What, no one has mentioned Full Auto yet?

Full Auto and Twisted Metal are awesome but I don't like their Kickstarter promotion video (no gameplay) so I won't back this project. Also these are games that I want to play on my consoles.

I have no facts to back this up, but I get the feeling that Jaffe had a lot of ideas for the new Twisted Metal and Sony stepped in and squashed the majority of them. I think he went in excited to be making it, and then it turned into a crappy job with generic requirements and a lack of creative input.
Because of budget? Twisted Metal is made on modest budget, it made it's money back in the end, not a flop, although not a big success either.

I never really see sony as publisher who mess around with specific gameplay mechanic, usually their meddling is broad stroke like 3d, move, etc

Grinchy

Banned
Because of budget? Twisted Metal is made on modest budget, it made it's money back in the end, not a flop, although not a big success either.

I never really see sony as publisher who mess around with specific gameplay mechanic, usually their meddling is broad stroke like 3d, move, etc

Budget was the reason Jaffe had no creative input? I guess Sony didn't even put up $650k then.

Uninspired Max Max setting, uninspired name, developed in part by a guy who tried reviving the car battle genre a couple of years ago and failed.

Why should I be excited about this? Props and respect to Jaffe for the old TM and GoW games, but why should I have any faith in this project?

McSpidey

I'll keep an eye on this as I had a great time with Calling all Cars and Interstate 76 which came with my Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback joystick.

Looking back I don't know why they bundled Interstate 76 with a joystick, it was all sorts of awkward, but the force feedback in it was awesome :)

ElRenoRaven

And I'm pretty sure you'd be wrong. David has been proud of that game since day 1. He's said time and time again that Sony was very awesome to him while making it and that they were supportive as hell and gave them a ton of creative freedom. It showed too. If you ever get a chance check out his blog. You'll see how he loves the game.

The only place I feel Sony dropped the ball on the game was the online servers and how they never fully fixed them. That's the only real area they dropped the ball on the game.

-MD-

Yet another vehicular combat game.

C'mon... Think outside the box a little

Yet... another? We get like one every 5 years.

That's the only real area they dropped the ball on the game.

Don't forget the awful, rushed single player mode that nobody liked. The game should have stayed multiplayer only, maybe it would have worked properly and the community wouldn't have died out.

Again, we have a promising Kickstarter hobbled by a $20-$25 minimum pledge level. That's simply too much money to ask for a project like this.

-MD-

Make sure they don't put aircraft in the game. Helicopters and planes have no place in a car combat game.

RoyalFool

Banned
Jaffe had a much bigger budget to make a game of the same genre only a few years ago that turned out pretty average. In my eyes this kickstarter would stand more of a chance if it only had Zack associated with it (wasn't he also involved in the original Mech Warrior?)

Carnby

When two one hit wonders collide... Sorry Jaffe and Norman, but I have zero confidence in this game. Especially after the disappointment that was Twisted Metal PS3.

qwerty2k

Stretch includes PC&Mac but no Linux love...if you're going to port to mac it's virtually free at that point to port to Linux :(, come on.

Perkel

Banned
I hope this will succeed.
They need to be more clear about what is game about technically. multiplayer only ? campain mode ? arena shooter ?

Decado

Damnit! Not even the makers of Interstate are considering a single player car combat game. Bored of online area shooters with cars.

-MD-

When two one hit wonders collide... Sorry Jaffe and Norman, but I have zero confidence in this game. Especially after the disappointment that was Twisted Metal PS3.

Twisted Metal PS3 was amazing (online). Best game of 2012.

Twisted Metal 2
Twisted Metal Black
Twisted Metal 2012

All fantastic games. One hit wonder? Let's not forget the guy made God of War too.

Endo Punk

Twisted Metal 2
Twisted Metal Black
Twisted Metal 2012

All fantastic games. One hit wonder? Let's not forget the guy made God of War too.

When the online worked the game was crazy fun. And the solo modes were a treat as well, especially story. Man do I love the new Twisted Metal! It's the kinda fun that's lacking with modern games.

Jaffe I expect to see you on next gen systems. And please make another TM for PS4 :D It's the only MP game I would actually give a damn about.

Jaffe I love you and I will buy this game...but I'm not contributing to a KS because think this could have been funded through traditional means.

Carnby

Twisted Metal 2
Twisted Metal Black
Twisted Metal 2012

Either you or I are in the minority. I thought TM 2012 showed me the concept was "cool" in the 90's, but now it's just not fun anymore. I thought the general response to that game was "meh".

I forgot about GOW, maybe because I find it to be the least interesting entry in the series.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I76 is one of those games that really captured my imagination back in the day. I think the first time i took down a bandit out in the middle of nowhere with my pistol out the side window I was sold. The fact that you could fight in a death arena against a stream of cars for hours was testament to the fact that the gameplay was amazingly solid.

76, with TM flavor and an open world would pretty much explode faces world wide. Could be the Mad Max game that Mad Max most likely won't be.

Multiplayer with persistent elements? How do we know this game won't be dead after a month? If there was a single-player campaign, then all hail the return of Interstate 76-style gameplay, but seeing as how bot matches are a stretch goal...

Sorry, I'm just really skeptical nowadays of multiplayer games, both because I seem to get outclassed after a month or two if I don't constantly play the game and because the online communities for anything not called Call of Duty of Battlefield seem to disappear practically overnight.

ElRenoRaven

Yet... another? We get like one every 5 years.

Don't forget the awful, rushed single player mode that nobody liked. The game should have stayed multiplayer only, maybe it would have worked properly and the community wouldn't have died out.

Um speak for yourself. A lot of people liked the single player too. Granted It should have had had a single player more in line with the older ones but what we got was damn good. Not saying it was perfect mind you. That last boss had a couple bullshit moments but overall the single player was damn fun. If they had had MP only it would have done worse probably.

KalBalboa

Banned
When two one hit wonders collide...

Jaffe has had several major critical and financial hits. How can you call him a one hit wonder?

God of War, Twisted Metal Black, TM 1, 2, 2012.

I believe TM 2012 was originally a PSN game that Sony decided to amp up into $60 boxed product. I still found it to play fun as hell.

And I'm pretty sure you'd be wrong. David has been proud of that game since day 1. He's said time and time again that Sony was very awesome to him while making it and that they were supportive as hell and gave them a ton of creative freedom. It showed too. If you ever get a chance check out his blog. You'll see how he loves the game.

The only place I feel Sony dropped the ball on the game was the online servers and how they never fully fixed them. That's the only real area they dropped the ball on the game.

Only issue? Oh my...

The game's code just doesn't work. Crashes, freezing... these happen in LAN mode too. They have nothing to do with the server. And they're the biggest culprits.

Bugs: Nuke completely broken, the most touted game mode, sometimes nukes just dont fire off. Nuke in between innings is when many players crash, game lobbies randomly disappear, hosts often booted from their own game after hosting ONE game, if host gets booted mid-game the health semi stops working, reaper can plant rpg on the nuke and detonate it whenever nuke launches... impossible to defend against. Everytime you die, your car view resets.... everytime you finish a hosted game successfully, most of your settings are RESET. Suicide bug where sometimes you die by another player yet it says you killed yourself and you lose big points for this (esp in TDM). Matchmaker is completely busted and often makes teams as bad as 4vs7.

That isnt even half the bugs or getting into balance/post game support.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
More Interstate 76 and Autoduel, and no Twisted Metal please.

We've had a billion arcade physics Twisted Metal iterations and clones over the past two decades. And zero Interstate 76/Autoduel realistic physics games.

I want individual armor quadrants on every car, blown tires, smoke screens, firing arcs on all weapons.

Please don't make this another 8 guys with one health bar each, locked in a refrigerator hitting each other with hammers game again.

Tokubetsu

I liked TM ps3 but I still can't help but feel burned by it. If this gets released/done I'll check based on word of mouth.

More Interstate 76 and Autoduel, and no Twisted Metal please.

We've had a billion arcade physics Twisted Metal iterations and clones over the past two decades. And zero Interstate 76/Autoduel realistic physics games.

I want individual armor quadrants on every car, blown tires, smoke screens, firing arcs on all weapons.

Please don't make this another 8 guys with one health bar each, locked in a refrigerator hitting each other with hammers game again.

Funny enough...

1st bold, had that in TM2. 2nd Bold, was in TM2 and TMB (big complaint about new game)

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Interstate spiritual sequel? Wha.wha.wha.wha.what, WHAT?

Please let this be like Interstate. Please please let this be good.

Just to be clear:

1- I'm super excited to be part of this project as a creative advisor. Very excited to be doing some press and talking about it in that capacity and- of course- contributing to the design and the game itself. But I'm not Lead Designer, I'm not directing it. Best to think of my role more like one of several exec producers or creative consultants on a movie. But this is not the game I'm currently directing and lead designing with our new company.

2- Our new company is not Pixelbionic (the folks developing Motorguns). They are up in Orange County. Our new company- called The Bartlet Jones Supernatural Detective Agency- is the dev we making the game (unannounced) upon which I serve as Lead Designer and Director. We are down in the Gaslamp district of downtown San Diego.

Thanks for letting me clear that up! And please: consider tossing a few bucks towards Motorguns! It's gonna be fun! :)

Thanks!

David

Wow, thats quite a name! Really hope your game is for PS4! Hopefully a full on AAA retail release, but I'd be excited(just slightly less) for a PSN release as well!

Top Bottom