• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe & Zack Norman (Interstate 76) team up for new Kickstarter: MotorGun, 650k

shuri

Banned
Twisted Metal 2012 was a disaster on every level from A to Z and put the final nail on the coffin of the TM franchise. It's also complete filth compared to the Interstate games.

What happened to Jaffe's too controversial game? Seems like it would be the perfect game for Kickstarter.

That was Heartland, and Sony canned it for being too controversial. Yeah, Jaffe should definitely kickstart that thing.

You hear that, Jaffe ? Get to it ! :)

Dictator93 said:
here you are

Yes, here I am. I've made this comment before about other, similar Kickstarters that, early on at least, looked destined to struggle to reach their funding goal - hence the adverb 'again'.

This was changed to $5 min

It's a $5 'feel good' donation.

The minimum donation/pledge to actually get the game is $20. And that's a lot to ask when you're tapping into a distinctively niche market that, unfortunately, hasn't been represented really at all on PC for over a decade.

panty

Just got an update about stretch goals.

Stretch Goals

Like all good Kickstarter campaigns, we have a nice list of stretch goals. You know what these are, they are all the things we want to do, but can’t quite afford, so as more money comes in, we can add them to the project.

(skip to the bottom if all you care about is PS4)

We decided that we wanted as many of our stretch goals as possible to be people. People that we want to work on the game, but we’re not sure we can afford unless we raise a little more money. Human stretch goals basically! So today we announced our lineup of stretch goals and if you look on the main page, you’ll see a nice chart that shows all the goals and how much we need to raise to activate them. Some are pretty cool, so let me tell you about them:

Lee Perry: You might not know his name, but you’ve played his games. His last 10 years were spent at Epic Games as Lead Designer, Senior Gameplay Designer, Lead Level Designer, and Artist. Titles included Gears of War 1, 2, and 3, Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004, Unreal Championship, Infinity Blades: Dungeons (combat, creature, and minigame design), and Lead Design work on the upcoming Fortnite. Lee’s a partner in Bitmonster games now, and if you haven’t seen it yet, check out their new game GunnerZ.

If we hit $800,000, Lee will design our first Battleground for us and I bet it will be good!

Lee Wilson: If you ever played Twisted Metal, you know Lee’s work, he designed all the cars in the first Twisted Metal, Twisted Metal 2, and Twisted Metal Black. Oh and for fun he did concept art for both Halo, Halo 2 and God of War. So, basically Lee is the master of video game concept art and car design so he fits into our dream team quite nicely.

If we hit $900,000, Lee will design 5 cars for MotorGun. We’ll have Lee design the first 5 Scavenger cars, so he’ll establish the look for the scavs.

Chris Avellone: Well, you all know Chris, he’s the world famous comic and game designer who designed every great RPG to come out of interplay back in the Day. From Planescape Torment to Icewind Dale, Chris had his hand in all the greats. Chris is currently working as a designer on the awesome Obsidian developed Project Eternity.

If we hit $1,000,000 Chris will write the first MotorGun comic, the history of the Ratters.

Oh and BTW, if we hit $1,100,000, Chris will do a second comic, the history of the Scavengers!

But wait, there’s more, if we hit $1,400,000 Chris will write a third comic the history of the Techies!!!

That’s 3 awesome comics that all backers above $90 will get!!!

Ok, back to the car combat dream team. Back in the day when i76 was developed, the Art Director was a very talented guy named Rick Glen. Now, if you played i76, you know the car design was really cool and that was all Rick. Now Rick has moved on from games to work on TV and Movies, but we needed another awesome car designer, so we coaxed him out of retirement to work on MotorGun.

So if we hit $1,200,000 Rick will join us and design 5 more cars, the first 5 Ratters!

Well, we all know how important music is. We searched high and low (and the valley) to find a great musician. In fact, we needed the best game musician money could buy and we found him, his name is Jesper Kyd. Oh sorry, his official title is: BAFTA award-winning and MTV VMA nominated composer Jesper Kyd. You’ve heard his music before, his music drives METAL HURLANT CHRONICLES, ASSASSIN’S CREED, ASSASSIN’S CREED II, ASSASSIN’S CREED BROTHERHOOD, BORDERLANDS, BORDERLANDS 2, DARKSIDERS II, HITMAN 2: SILENT ASSASSIN, HITMAN: CONTRACTS, HITMAN: BLOOD MONEY and FREEDOM FIGHTERS. Yes, I’m not joking, he did all those!!!

We’ve wanted to work with Jesper forever and so if we hit $1,300,000 Jesper compose our soundtrack! Awesome!!!

OK, last but not least, in fact this is the big one. The community spoke and the community spoke very loud. In fact the community was pretty pushy. So, we heard you and we’ve decided to add a PS4 version of MotorGun. Yes, I just said that, we’ll have a PS4 version around the same time (Sony submission process permitting) as the PC/Mac version. We’re big console fans here so this wasn’t a hard one for us. Hell, we wanted to do it before you yelled at us about it, we swear.
image-294665-full.jpg

Seems pretty ambitious. I've already pledged but not sure if I should up my pledge. Please reach at least some of these goals.

Just got an update about stretch goals.

Seems pretty ambitious. I've already pledged but not sure if I should up my pledge. Please reach at least some of these goals.

Jesper Kyd at 1.3 is pretty awesome, and Chris Avellone has become the go-to story guy for Kickstarter projects. But this project has very little momentum a the moment.

I was expecting this project to be doing a little better.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Multiplayer with persistent elements? How do we know this game won't be dead after a month? If there was a single-player campaign, then all hail the return of Interstate 76-style gameplay, but seeing as how bot matches are a stretch goal...

Sorry, I'm just really skeptical nowadays of multiplayer games, both because I seem to get outclassed after a month or two if I don't constantly play the game and because the online communities for anything not called Call of Duty of Battlefield seem to disappear practically overnight.

ya this seems like a big misstep to me. Give me a new fresh i76 with drop in drop out CO-OP with an expansive campaign and I'm in.
The focus on short term team based multiplayer with the the single player campaign being an afterthought...ya not so much

The added ps4 version makes this more enticing, given the ps4 won't have a twisted metal for some time.

Not too worried about the single player, as just with TM, most of the time will be spent playing with others.

I opened this thread for the first time while at a destruction derby.

Really interested in this. Interstate '76 was one of those 'upgrade your computer' moments for me.

Mr Swine

Banned
We need it to be more like Interstate 76 and not Twisted Metal. I would honestly be happy if it was a carbon copy of I76 with a new paint.

I76 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> TM

BHK3

Banned
Damn shame about what happened with TM, but all well I know Jaffe tried his best wish the rest of the team and Sony actually gave a shit.

I'll donate.

wrowa

The Chris Avellone stretch goal is so bizarre.

Anyway, isn't it a little early for stretch goals? They should worry about coming close to their initial goal first.

BPoole

I don't think this will make its goal. As much as I'd like to support Jaffe, Car Combat games just aren't my thing. Best if luck to him and the team though.

GodofWine

I wish they talked a little more about the world. I'm not so interested in pure car arena combat, but loved exploring the world in Interstate 76 and the original Autoduel. Driving outside cities in Autoduel blew my mind at the time.

pc-game-remakes,Z-X-333069-13.gif

I played that on an Atari 800xl .... it was epic at the time...yet completely difficult for a under 10 yr old me.

I played that on an Atari 800xl .... it was epic at the time...yet completely difficult for a under 10 yr old me.

Well... IT IS a very difficult game. Between lacking controls, hard-to-get money, long distances between cities and ruthless enemies plaguing the roads it was an impressive feat just surviving long enough to reach the next settlement for the first time.

Darryl

Banned
OK, last but not least, in fact this is the big one. The community spoke and the community spoke very loud. In fact the community was pretty pushy. So, we heard you and we’ve decided to add a PS4 version of MotorGun. Yes, I just said that, we’ll have a PS4 version around the same time (Sony submission process permitting) as the PC/Mac version. We’re big console fans here so this wasn’t a hard one for us. Hell, we wanted to do it before you yelled at us about it, we swear.

1.5M for a PS4 port? you'd think with all that power the system is packing and how easy Sony is making it for indies, this "big one" could've made it a bit further down on the stretch goal list.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Project projected to reach below 50% of required 650k goal.

Set stretch goals for one and a half million dollars.

Some pretty terrible stretch goals at that. Oh boy, a car combat game tie in comic!!! Maybe we'll release on PS4 to make more money... if you pay us first!! This is that awkward 5-10 years where we get to see why certain people aren't as core to the industry and coveted for work as they'd like to be perceived as. Schafer flubbing it already with more money than was ever needed is a pretty good indicator of this whole situation and why most games companies are just not run well. Now you get to be the guys and gals angry at repeated failures to meet deadlines and budgets!

People that will walk out of this Kickstarter Wild West having improved their reps will be companies like Obsidian, Oculus Rift, and hopefully Roberts Space Industries.

Afro

Contemplating backing this for a physical copy. Next-gen Interstate 76 is glorious.

I've always dreamed of a slower paced, non-arena based Twisted Metal with semi-realistic/semi-sim physics and huge Battlefield-sized maps.

A massive, 32v32 point-to-point survival mode race down a wide open desert road ala Road Warrior.

Have to say "Motorgun" is a pretty lame name though.

Lot of respect for Jaffe, I just don't think vehicular combat games have the long-standing, underserved fanbases like old-school RPGs and space combat games who are willing to put money towards reviving the genre.

Jaffe caught lightning in a bottle twice with Twisted Metal and then God of War, two wildly different types of games. He's too smart to be rehashing old experiences.

Rapstah

The image of the stretch goals makes it look like they're making a PS4 version if they hit the highest stretch goal, but the text breakdown quoted in PartyPhantom's post doesn't tie it to any tier and makes it sound like they're doing it any way. Which is it?

Rafael Paiz. Didn't work on that Matrix game with the square wheels on the car? I heard that game was rushed and it was a joke at release.

I loved Shiny at one point.

panty

I agree the comic part should be the last stretch goal. That's not essential to the game itself but a great composer or an artist is.

Dinda

Man, Interstate ’76 sure brings up some good memories.

However i have absolutely lost interest in car comat games these days. I still wish them luck.

Make this a crimson skies like game with airplanes instead of cars and I might support it.

This looks boring and the stretch goals are bad. If you can only hit 6% of your goal in the first 3 days, you need to rethink your game/marketing.

Burt

Woo, that's a rough start. Usually you want to see a Kickstarter hit a quarter of it's funding in the first three or so days. Is there a specific reason why this is doing so poorly (aka did someone fuck up?) or is there really just that little interest for a new vehicular combat game?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The Jaffe part scares me after Twisted Metal PS3...I would be more likely to support it if was just Zack Norman.
I think the criticisms leveled at TM PS3 could be applied to the car combat genre as a whole. But I76 is better off depth-wise because it had Mechwarrior's framework to build on.

Endo Punk

That was Heartland, and Sony canned it for being too controversial. Yeah, Jaffe should definitely kickstart that thing.

You hear that, Jaffe ? Get to it ! :)

What? Aw come on man! Sony, the guy gave you two of the most recognisable brands and you can't let him work his magic a third time? Fuck you :( ND talk some sense into Sony.

What? Aw come on man! Sony, the guy gave you two of the most recognisable brands and you can't let him work his magic a third time? Fuck you :( ND talk some sense into Sony.

This is ... not what happened. People make up their own history.

Heartland was canned because Incognito was basically moving people from that team to the people working on Warhawk, which was originally a PS2 game (a game that took 6 years to make). Warhawk essentially killed Heartland. Hell even Twisted Metal Black 2 got canned by incognito, not sony.

Sony had nothing to do with these decisions. Where do people make this crap up :/

Afro

Vehiclular combat with realistic physics/handling and cockpit view is all that needs to be said. If that doesn't sound like an absolute blast then I don't know what to say.

we will have different views, and I'm sure cockpit view will be one of them.
Car handling will be realistic like i76 for sure!

Might consider it if they were adding Xbox One support. I've backed 5 kickstarters but a racing game like this on PC doesn't sound appealing to me.

JDSN

Banned
That was canceled quite fast. I wonder what went wrong? Entry tiers were too high and the good strech goals were too up.

I don't think this will make its goal. As much as I'd like to support Jaffe, Car Combat games just aren't my thing. Best if luck to him and the team though.

Yeah, I'm exactly the same as this. Always kind of liked Jaffe but I'm not really interested in car combat games, so I won't be supporting this.

-MD-

Hopefully they'll rename the game when they relaunch the kickstarter.

Not sure why everyone is hating on car combat so much lately, TM2012's multiplayer was a blast.

Jb

Hopefully they'll rename the game when they relaunch the kickstarter.

Not sure why everyone is hating on car combat so much lately, TM2012's multiplayer was a blast.

It's not hate, just lack of interest. And I enjoyed the new Twisted.

HooYaH

If the game was based in the future with vehicles that looks like super fast vehicle tanks and then transform into a huge mech, it'll make over $1million in kickstarter.

Or just reboot this:
SHOGO--Mobile-Armor-Division

Top Bottom