• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Internet Confirms: Twitter babble is 50% more irrelevant than reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

alterego

LINK 1

Adrian Chmielarz, former Creative Director at People Can Fly for games like Painkiller, Bulletstorm and Gears of War: Judgment, voiced it over Twitter:

D1GeI13.png

LINK 2

It wasn’t long before Director of Product Planning Albert Penello was asked about the 50 percent power difference that Chmielarz was touting, which then prompted this exchange:

JyD3XjK.png

Which is very interesting considering that People Can Fly worked on the Xbox 360 exclusive title Gears of War: Judgment under Epic Games’ supervision. Despite the studio closing, the man who leads planning for the Xbox One, Xbox 360 and Kinect isn’t aware of the developer that created a high-profile exclusive released in 2013 itself? Regardless of your thoughts on the PS4 versus Xbox One hardware, it’s hard to deny how strange that statement must be.

EDIT:

Updated the Image as the above link didn't have the full conversation.

velociraptor

Ask yourself this question. Do you really think Albert would reiterate any performance advantage the PS4 has? It would be suicidal on his part, especially as he is a public member of the Xbox team.

Poor Penello.

I know they are trying to "control the message" and shit but seriously... come on man. Sort your self out.

I swear the only industry people I have seen say something negative on the PS4 are Microsoft executives and in itself is thats a little crazy. You think Sony would have fucked up somewhere and given MS something to toss at them instead of having this desperate bullshit.
Microsoft has been more then helpful giving sony stones to toss at Ballmers glass house these last few months.

Come on Sony. Give these poor guys something.

Chobel

Ah c'mon, I thought A real response from MS. Albert Penello is not MS.

However It's really weird that Penello doesn't know People Can Fly, they made Gears of War: judgement. A simple google bing search can show him who they are.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
People can Fly had to close ? Damn...didnt know that -.-

ActionMan

It may very well be 50%, but it seems people preordering XBONE don't care and will just "deal with it". The performance difference is there, but as these are not off the shelf PC parts (some might disagree), the difference is not easily measureable and will probably vary game by game depending on the devs.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Change the title:
Dev says it's 50% quicker, not powerful. Then he adds it's also more powerful (but we don't know the percentage).

Hypron

I always wonder why these PR people even reply to messages like that... If you're not even going to say anything of relevance why do you even bother replying?

astraycat

What a weird response. I can't wait for the consoles to come out so that these rumors can finally stop.

Console releases and their games only provide additional fertilizer for rumors and speculation!

Only the dropping of NDAs accompanied with unbiased benchmarks could have a sliver hope of ending a console war, and that's not likely to happen soon.

Snubbers

Sounds like both are just voicing opinion..

Albeit with their opinions grounded from industry knowledge on different levels (clearly)

So you have one studio employee saying he's hearing 50% 'WHEN DEVELOPING' (with some convoluted lengthy explanation thrown in afterwards to downplay his own statement/cover his ass a bit ), and you have a PR response from MS from someone that doesn't know every studio employee in the world and clearly is buying the line he's been fed from his own developer relations.

It just sounds like the typical news channel, people fishing for anything to make something out of..

I'm going to let the games do the talking, and I dont' really give a rats ass if my own opinion that they'll be <25% different worse case is completely wrong, I'll still be playing all the next gen games on both platforms whilst those who must vindicate their single choice can crow as much as they want..

Poor Penello.

I know they are trying to "control the message" and shit but seriously... come on man. Sort your self out.

I swear the only industry people I have seen say something negative on the PS4 are Microsoft executives and in itself is thats a little crazy. You think Sony would have fucked up somewhere and given MS something to toss at them instead of having this desperate bullshit.
Microsoft has been more then helpful giving sony stones to toss at Ballmers glass house these last few months.

Come on Sony. Give these poor guys something.

Hell even AMD(Supplier of both console tech) says the Ps4 has a better tech. But, for multi platform titles, the difference will be marginal.

Neuro

Power is not going to win this generation, PS4 might be powerful but only exclusives take true advantage of such power, third party games will look more or less the same. If Microsoft has better exclusives in the first year then it will lead (which I honestly think is hard),

Sony did one thing right last gen they built up good franchises in alot of gaming genres

PSGames

I'm not sure I would go with "dev confirms" as the title when he's only heard hearsay and hasn't worked on the machine for himself.

martino

What is the 50% speed difference ? gpu only ? memory ? or the whole architecture considered ? (if not the third did someone know the theorical différence in that case ?)

timlot

Banned
Albert, by responding to these feeds and speeds topics you're only feeding the flames. Your only response should be "we are going to let our games do the talking".

Power is not going to win this generation, PS4 might be powerful but only exclusives take true advantage of such power, third party games will look more or less the same. If Microsoft has better exclusives in the first year then it will lead (which I honestly think is hard),

Sony did one thing right last gen they built up good franchises in alot of gaming genres

Power might not win the gen, but price probably will.

Anyway none of this shit would've happened if major nelson wouldn't have opened his big mouth. how many times has he been wrong now?

Snubbers

Is that really a response though? What are we suppose to read out of it?

I don't think it was, I don't actually expect AP to really know everyone who works for every studio, I don't think it's ignorant or arrogant to say he's never heard of him..

lazydom

If there was no difference in multi-platform games, it would be very easy for ms to prove it by having some games shown off on the X1. Shouldn't be hard given their strong relationship with EA, and exclusivity deals with activision.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Power is not going to win this generation, PS4 might be powerful but only exclusives take true advantage of such power, third party games will look more or less the same.

PS4 = unified memory.

X1 = eSRAM paging.

PS4 is objectively easier to develop for. No need to page data in through eSRAM, no need to do crazy timing stuff, no need to worry, really. For this reason for the first year or so PS4 will be able to produce better graphics for indy and lower level developers with less effort. The whole eSRAM paging issue is akin to the PS3's SPUs (though not as severe). At an assembly level you are going to be able to seriously push the PS4 beyond anything X1 can do.

Valnen

This gen has shown that system specs absolutely do matter when it comes to multiplatform games. Look at how broken Bayonetta was on PS3 compared to Xbox 360.

AngryMoth

Is a 50% speed difference really that big? In the pc realm what would a 50% difference between 2 systems equate to? Forgive my technical naiveté here, but wouldn't you basically need a 100% difference for 60fps bs 30fps? Is 1080p vs 720p possible?

Minions

Well it is definitely not going to hurt. Toward the end of the generation is where more "power" really shows. I cant wait to see what Naughty dog can make this console do at the end of the consoles life span.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom