• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Internet Confirms: Twitter babble is 50% more irrelevant than reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Nice try, Albert. Didn't someone from MS also deny knowing Adam Orth, one of their own employees, after that whole thing started?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Although the difference in power can not be disputed, I very much doubt that it will manifest itself in the vast majority of multiplatform games. Publishers want parity in order to avoid angering platform fanatics.

Just like this gen, right?

Oh wait, that didn't happen at all and multiplats always had differences in performance and visual quality. This gen, the gap will probably be even larger.

Finalizer

Oh boy, here we go again!

Man, I was on board with having Penello around before, but it's getting harder and harder to justify it nowadays... Not with this kind of attitude.

Although the difference in power can not be disputed, I very much doubt that it will manifest itself in the vast majority of multiplatform games. Publishers want parity in order to avoid angering platform fanatics.

They'll go for parity because they are trying to create the same product across platforms not because of crazies in the fan bases.

why people use this logic?

past gen people were nitpicking about every difference on ps3 and xbox ports and now its "wont happen this time" are we serious?

NHale

GAF -> Internet -> GAF

Also The Astronauts are an indie dev so of course Penello doesn't know them.

Adrien was the Creative Director for People Can Fly for a lot of years. He only left last year because he was tired and probably because Epic forced them to work on GOW: Judgement and not Bulletstorm 2.

If even myself know who he is, then I would expect a Director of Product Planning would also know important people in this industry. But actually this explains a lot.

Just like this gen, right?

Oh wait, that didn't happen at all and multiplats always had differences in performance and visual quality. This gen, the gap will probably be even larger.
huh? You see big differences in PS3 & 360 games?

Also thread should be renamed. Guy said faster.

KAL2006

Banned
So let me get this straight

PS4 is more powerful than XB1
PS4 is more easier to develop for than XB1
However devs will use extra tricks for XB1 to put it in parity with PS4 versions

What I don't understand is won't devs bother using extra tricks of PS4 to push it to its limits too like HuMa and etc.

Also about having parity between both systems, wouldn't devs already have a PC version that looks much better than both systems, wouldn't it be ideal to get PS4 closer to PC version as much as they can or will XB1 hold it back.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I just took "Don't know 'em" as referring to Penello not knowing who the former PCF devs are, not that he doesn't know who PCF are/were.

Either way, he's obviously not gonna come out saying the PS4 whoops the ass of the Xbone.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I insist the OP be updated with this image, as the one in the OP is misleading because it omits a post on twitter.

JyD3XjK.png

KurowaSan

This is to do with development time. Not console power.

come on. He's clearly talking about power. They find a 50% performance difference when developing the game. That's why he makes the extra points to explain it, hence the "It'll become clear in a second." , or is the cloud computing power gonna help develop games faster?

timlot

Banned
Oh boy, here we go again!

Man, I was on board with having Penello around before, but it's getting harder and harder to justify it nowadays... Not with this kind of attitude.

I hope he doesn't respond back. Focus on launching your system "like Sony is" and stop responding to these messageboard console war cat fights that he's never going to win. Let the games and your system features speak for themselves. Focus man 74 days to go...

I insist the OP be updated with this image, as the one in the OP is misleading because it omits a post on twitter.

JyD3XjK.png

Okay, so that makes a lot more sense. It seems he might have been referring to the Adrian and friends comment and not the PCF one.

Strange the OP decided to omit that tweet.

Zen

Banned
Re the linked post

Think about it this way. X360 is faster than PS3. Not just easier to program on, it's faster overall (although PS is faster/better in SOME areas). And yet no exclusive on X360 looks like The Last of Us. Halo 4 looks great. Gears blew my mind in 2006. And still, the best looking AAA game of this generation belongs to the supposedly weaker platform.

The same developers that made better looking games on weaker hardware are now making games on hardware that's clearly superior to ours! Relax guys!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80542977&postcount=399

KidBeta

come on. He's clearly talking about power. They find a 50% performance difference when developing the game. That's why he makes the extra points to explain it, hence the "It'll become clear in a second." , or is the cloud computing power gonna help develop games faster?

Its amazing how badly some people interpret context.

Nice try, Albert. Didn't someone from MS also deny knowing Adam Orth, one of their own employees, after that whole thing started?

I don't know the details of this supposed "someone from MS", but is everyone who works at MS supposed to know everyone else?

Also about having parity between both systems, wouldn't devs already have a PC version that looks much better than both systems, wouldn't it be ideal to get PS4 closer to PC version as much as they can or will XB1 hold it back.

Well if one version looks noticeably superior to the other then owners of the system with the lesser version of the game will be annoyed they drew the 'short straw'.

If both versions look similar then both camps are happy (aside from the hardest of the hardcore) and there is no physical proof that the more powerful system ever had a vastly different version running on it.

In other words parity pisses far few people off.

That sure is one way to look at the response. However, he said 'Ex-dev of PCF' and didn't really specify who or what company they are working now. It would be anybody's guess.

Seems people implied a lot, but reasonably it's basically nothing.

What? He says "Adrian Chmielarz and his friends" and then clarifies "Former People Can Fly dev".

He doesn't say "ex dev of PCF" anywhere.

This gen has shown that system specs absolutely do matter when it comes to multiplatform games. Look at how broken Bayonetta was on PS3 compared to Xbox 360.

The conversion was handed over to a (less than) C-Team though, look what Platinum did next on PS3 as a mea culpa for that cock-up.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Okay, so that makes a lot more sense. It seems he might have been referring to the Adrian and friends comment and not the PCF one.

Strange the OP decided to omit that tweet.
The post on Gamingbolt.com and Gamekicker.com also omit it. I posted that image once without checking myself, even though I normally check these kind of things. It sucks ass to get fooled. But those sites didn't re-post an image, they embedded the posts via twitter, so they KNEW they were deceiving. Now it's just a matter of degree.

Exactly right. The 360 was more powerful, easier to program for, it had a significant head start yet the overwhelming majority of games only exhibited minor differences.

Uh not really? Literally every PS3 has obviously worse textures, is more blurry, has worse framerate, worse everything. These aren't minor unless you have a high tolerance for all of this put together.

Only a few PS3 games are actually "better".

Reading it again. Its hard to interpret really. You guys say powerful, yet it reads like he says in relevance to its power its faster to develop for no? These things seem blown out of proportion. Now people are arguing over if he penello meant that single dev, the ex-PCF devs or straight up PCF. Theres needs to be more clarification as of late or yall are gonna be starting 3 threads a day on this stuff until launch.

Seems like there's a dozen of things Penello dont know.

To err is human. Trying to slam someone for not remembering who someone worked for is like slamming someone for forgetting where they left their car keys. Everyone has a brainfart once in a while, even publicly. Heck, he might wake up saying "Oh god, the Bulletstorm and Gears Judgement guys!".

I'm not reading much into it. Calling it out just seems like desperate point scoring.

This gen has shown that system specs absolutely do matter when it comes to multiplatform games. Look at how broken Bayonetta was on PS3 compared to Xbox 360.

Really? Bayo PS3 was outsourced and treated like shit by Sega. Hardly the best example to bring up.

I think claiming that the PS4 is 50% more powerful than the X1 is a bit ridiculous looking at both spec sheets. Especially that early with both consoles just being finalized and devs not having sunken deep into the metal yet, it is way to early to call this fight over...

These threads are getting a bit sad trying to show something that's not really there. I took it simply to mean he didn't know the guy personally. He also didn't post anything saying the guy was full of crap or anything, and the guy was taken out of context in other threads shown on this forum that I've read.

KAL2006

Banned
Well if one version looks noticeably superior to the other then owners of the system with the lesser version of the game will be annoyed they drew the 'short straw'.

If both versions look similar then both camps are happy (aside from the hardest of the hardcore) and there is no physical proof that the more powerful system ever had a vastly different version running on it.

In other words parity pisses far few people off.

This wasn't a problem in previous generations though. SNES - Genesis, PS2 - Xbox, and even last gen. Why should it be a problem now.

AngryMoth

They really should just stop commenting on this. There is no way to spin the facts in their favour and trying is just going to make them look foolish. Come the fall we will see what difference the power gap actually makes, if they're lucky maybe it won't be that noticeable.

Amir0x

Banned
Alright now that response from Albert is a strange one. How can you not know who they are? This is getting more and more bizarre by the second.

Edit: Oh, I guess he's saying he didn't specifically know Adrian and "his friends." That makes more sense.

To err is human. Trying to slam someone for not remembering who someone worked for is like slamming someone for forgetting where they left their car keys. Everyone has a brainfart once in a while, even publicly. Heck, he might wake up saying "Oh god, the Bulletstorm and Gears Judgement guys!".

I'm not reading much into it. Calling it out just seems like desperate point scoring.

I guess now he knows who they are he can ignore the statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom