• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Internet Confirms: Twitter babble is 50% more irrelevant than reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Exactly right. The 360 was more powerful, easier to program for, it had a significant head start yet the overwhelming majority of games only exhibited minor differences.
This generation was completely different. 360 was easier to develop for, had a more flexible GPU and more framebuffer memory bandwidth, while the PS3 had a significantly more powerful but hard to exploit CPU and a less advanced GPU, and a split memory pool (with higher total external bandwidth). That's why we saw different titles performing better on different platforms, and generally saw the 360 favoured (since it required less platform-specific optimization).

On the other hand, in the upcoming generation, We have 2 platforms with the same CPU and GPU architecture, with PS4 having the simpler and easier to use memory system and between 50% and 100% more functional units in the GPU.

alterego

I insist the OP be updated with this image, as the one in the OP is misleading because it omits a post on twitter.

JyD3XjK.png

Done

I believe most gamers have good enough eyes and am patient enough to wait a couple of months to have the question of performance/visual fidelity answered more solid.
LensOfTruth / Digital Foundry Console Face Offs will see a huge influx of clicks.

Seeing is believing with all of the PR/ potentially biased spins on media out there in the internet.

sublimit

Banned
The other thread about this was closed.

Adrian Chmielarz expanded on his twitter comment here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80542977&postcount=399

3. Does it mean studios will cripple PS4 versions to match XO ones? Not really, do not underestimate the devs. Even if this happens, you will not know that and that's okay. You've never seen most games in their most powerful form anyway (when we work on them on our ninja dev PCs in 1080p 120fps with all the antialiasings and stuff turned on for shits and giggles). But most of the time devs have a target and they meet this target. If it's a multiplatform game, it's designed with this in mind from the start. So maybe it's not maxing out one console while going 100% on the other. Maybe it's 100% on both, but they take extra time for super-extra optimizations on the weaker hardware to make sure things look the same as on the more powerful platform. Etc. etc.

This pretty much confirms that they'll hold back the PS4 versions.If you are expecting to see the PS4 pushed to its limits by multiplatform developers you are going to be disappointed.MS knows this and that's why they keep saying both consoles are similar in power.

Finalizer

Focus on launching your system "like Sony is" and stop responding to these messageboard console war cat fights that he's never going to win.

That's kinda the key thing there... Not only does it start to call to question the nature of his presence on this board when he starts participating in these debates, it's a damn futile effort in the first place. Focus on that direct communication with a community, and allow them to get that direct response from an MS representative, that's the kind of thing I'd like to see him focus on. That's the kind of thing that could build back up MS' public image, and something I wish he'd keep his focus on.

The post on Gamingbolt.com and Gamekicker.com also omit it. I posted that image once without checking myself, even though I normally check these kind of things. It sucks ass to get fooled. But those sites didn't re-post an image, they embedded the posts via twitter, so they KNEW they were deceiving. Now it's just a matter of degree.

Ugh, typical click bait garbage from no name sites. Good job in catching the extra tweet though, it's appreciated. It's one of the reasons why I love GAF. The full story always comes out in the end thanks to members going that extra mile to check the facts.

The whole "look guys omitted Tweet!" red herring is BS, since Twitter shows you exactly to which Tweet People reply to. Which was the People Can Fly Tweet. So stop it.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
This pretty much confirms that they'll hold back the PS4 versions.If you are expecting to see the PS4 pushed to its limits by multiplatform developers you are going to be disappointed.MS knows this and that's why they keep saying the consoles are similar in power.

I agree, that's what it sounds like. Those big publishers with special relationships will probably make them even, I still think some multiplatform games will show a difference.

Former and ex are the same. Both refer to the person not working there anymore.

I know that. You put in an acronym so I thought that was what you were referring to as the source of confusion. The guy wrote former People Can Fly dev in his very next tweet. Pretty sure Albert has heard of them and just chose to dismiss it.

Amir0x

Banned
The whole "look guys omitted Tweet!" red herring is BS, since Twitter shows you exactly to which Tweet People reply to. Which was the People Can Fly Tweet. So stop it.

And it says he responded to @DatownKidd, who said "Adrian Chimielarz and his 'friends.'" In which case his comment that he 'don't know 'em' isn't too odd, because I probably wouldn't have specifically know Adrian either. I know People Can Fly though, obviously.

Is that how twitter works? I hardly ever use or read twitter, but isn't that how it works?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Penello and nelson shouldn't have addressed power.

It's going to look bad if it turns out they were misleading their customers. I know - they're company men, you cant expect honest brokers - but given that they're put out there as higher profile community liaisons or whatever, it damages their ability to work effectively if they have diminshed credibility even with their own fans.

KAL2006

Banned
This pretty much confirms that they'll hold back the PS4 versions.If you are expecting to see the PS4 pushed to its limits by multiplatform developers you are going to be disappointed.MS knows this and that's why they keep saying both consoles are similar in power.

In the history of console gaming this wasn't a problem why now. I remember SNES version of Street Fighter was clearly superior to Genesis. GTAIV and Red Dead Redemption were superior on 360 than PS3. Splinter Cell looked better on Xbox than PS2. Why do developers have to change now.

Honest question to anyone who can answer: Is there any way that the xb1 version of a multiplatform game will be better than the ps4's without any sort of shenanigans?

Majmun

The complete twatter conversation tell us that Penello doesn't know Adrian's friends. And not PCF.

Not knowing about a dev that created games for your platform would've been very stupid.

nib95

Banned

It's going to look bad if it turns out they were misleading their customers. I know - they're company men, you cant expect honest brokers - but given that they're put out there as higher profile community liaisons or whatever, it damages their ability to work effectively if they have diminshed credibility even with their own fans.

Pretty much. I mean, how many multiplatform devs can they really money hat for parity? Half joke. For some reason I expect certain EA games to not follow multiplatform trends off the bat. But I doubt it....

Amir0x

Banned
Honest question to anyone who can answer: Is there any way that the xb1 version of a multiplatform game will be better than the ps4's without any sort of shenanigans?

The only way it will be possible is if a developer straight intentionally sabotages the port or they simply are so shitty at what they do that it just comes out that way.

Not only is PS4 significantly more powerful, its tools are also much more mature than Microsoft - at least as of E3 according to Avalanche Games - AND it's overall ever so incrementally easier to developer for than the XB1. XB1 is easy to develop for as well as I understand it, but a few quirks of its hardware make it slightly more complex.

Avalance Games said:
"With each new driver release, performance increases dramatically in some areas. The PlayStation 4 environment is definitely more mature currently, so Microsoft has some catching up to do.

But when you add it together, there is no way any multiplatform game should ever be better on XB1.

And it says he responded to @DatownKidd, who said "Adrian Chimielarz and his 'friends.'" In which case his comment that he 'don't know 'em' isn't too odd, because I probably wouldn't have specifically know Adrian either. I know People Can Fly though, obviously.

Is that how twitter works? I hardly ever use or read twitter, but isn't that how it works?
If you go to his Twitter, you will see the don't know 'em Tweet was a direct response to People Can Fly - the one naming Adrian specifically was earlier in the chain. So in order to claim it wasn't a reply to PCF you'd have to believe he saw the older Tweet, but blindly clicked reply to the PCF one.

TheOddOne

I know that. You put in an acronym so I thought that was what you were referring to as the source of confusion. The guy wrote former People Can Fly dev in his very next tweet. Pretty sure Albert has heard of them and just chose to dismiss it.
But here is the thing though, he isn't talking about not knowing PCF but not knowing Adrien and his friends.

Seems like people want to read more into than it actually is.

Ganondolf

he clearly does not want to answer the question and answers that he does not know them instead. this tells me the statement by the ex dev is true as he does not refute the statement made.

This wasn't a problem in previous generations though. SNES - Genesis, PS2 - Xbox, and even last gen. Why should it be a problem now.

It depends how you define differences though. Back in the SNES days different developers often created different versions of the same game, and games that were the same like EWJ didn't have massive differences.

Again with PS2 - Xbox there were differences but it wasn't for the most part night and day.
We saw the differences but most regular gamers didn't.

I've always maintained that the PS4 will have the better looking multiplats as it's technically quite a bit more powerful. But I doubt developers will bother to make games look highly different. There will be a few cases where we get 'Bayonetta' type situations but the bigger developers will just knock out games that tick the bullet points of 60fps and 1080p and then just scale back effects (that most won't notice) on the weaker system.

In my opinion... who knows.

szaromir

Banned

Did the silly comments from Sony execs 'game x is only possible on PS3' damage Sony and its credibility?

nbraun80

still it shows he's probably answering to not knowing that guy and 'friends' and not people can fly as a whole.

You can't hold back better performance thought. Sure they won't take full advantage like exclusive games will, but any game that doesn't have a stable/vsynched framerate will perform better on PS4

The best thing about these consoles dropping isn't even getting them. It's the shit show leading up to release and the inevitable bloodbath that is to follow.

I love it.

Amir0x

Banned
If you go to his Twitter, you will see the don't know 'em Tweet was a direct response to People Can Fly - the one naming Adrian specifically was earlier in the chain. So in order to claim it wasn't a reply to PCF you'd have to believe he saw the older Tweet, but blindly clicked reply to the PCF one.

Well I'll have to defer to you because I really am not familiar enough with Twitter to refute it. I use it so rarely and every time I do I hate the way things are laid out and find it difficult to read any of it, so I avoid it.

That said, I'll keep reading for more perspectives on the matter.

Flayer

It strikes me as extremely petty to dismiss PCF like that. And yes, if you look at Twitter the guy was replying directly to the tweet about PCF and saying he didn't know them. Harsh.

SilentFlyer

To be honest its getting way out of hand. Currently, evidence are favoring PS4 being more powerful. Yet MS insisting that it's not the case. What I don't understand is why are they shying to reveal the actual specs? Why are they waiting for the end of September. Is there any kind of embargo or am I missing something here? Because by that time, IMO, MS could have enough damaged done to themselves if developers keeps revealing and favoring PS4 in terms of power difference.

This wasn't a problem in previous generations though. SNES - Genesis, PS2 - Xbox, and even last gen. Why should it be a problem now.

Enjoyed my Atari ST a lot even though I could see the differences on my friend's Amiga. But I think people here are too young to remember beyond this gen.

alterego

Ok now I'm confused - should I put the old image back....?

Classy as always. How some of you can't parse through the PR bullshit these companies are giving you, and albert especially since he posts here, is amazing.

sublimit

Banned
In the history of console gaming this wasn't a problem why now. I remember SNES version of Street Fighter was clearly superior to Genesis. GTAIV and Red Dead Redemption were superior on 360 than PS3. Splinter Cell looked better on Xbox than PS2. Why do developers have to change now.

Well obviously we'll still see some small differences but i don't expect one version to be 60fps and the other 30fps for example.
Adrian Chmielarz confirmed that multiplatform devs goal is not to push the strongest platform to it limits but instead meet a common target that will make both versions look more or less the same.MS's PR will use that to their advantage of course.

nbraun80

Wrong. See what I posted, or look at his Twitter yourself.

again just because he responded to the second doesn't mean he doesn't know who pcf are, that second post tried to clarify who Adrian and friends are, so it would make sense that even after that clarification he still didnt know Adrian and friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom