• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Vaporwave Thread of WTF is Vaporwave

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

QWwTv6u.jpg
47aD6cX.jpg
YWwHDOD.jpg
hAuPHlV.jpg
Ks8WDA0.jpg
IvPWC4e.jpg
AE2lMt8.jpg
PKPhRYe.png
0AvZXd4.jpg

Chicago Reader's Take on Vaporwave

Chicago Reader said:
Vaporwave, to the extent it can be said to still exist, is sample based, layering and warping pieces of the most reviled forms of music in the recording era: chintzy 80s lounge, smooth jazz, Muzak. Sometimes producers slow down and layer samples till they sound like velvety R&B slow jams, or chop and repeat them to create a sort of languid stutter. Its dreamlike feel recalls the hypnagogic pop of multiply pseudonymous New York musician and producer James Ferraro.

Sonically the aesthetic is dominated by gauzy reverb and a polished synthetic veneer, and visually it leans toward retrofuturistic imagery—luminous 3-D bubbles, for instance, or blocky skylines, made to look like outmoded computer renderings in toxic DayGlo colors. Both in its look and in its Internet-centric life cycle, vaporwave has more than a little in common with seapunk, the notorious microscene that attracted the attention of the New York Times last winter.

Vice's Take on Vaporwave
Already gearing up as seapunk’s bigger, flashier and coming-this-summer-with-10-times-more-explosions sequel is vaporwave—the next lucky hashtag that could end up on SNL. Like seapunk, vaporwave is another Tumblr-spawned micro-genre that’s obsessed with Geocities graphics and spacey electronic music… but with fewer dolphins this time.

What is vaporwave? According to commenters in various music forums, it’s “chillwave for Marxists,” “post-elevator music,” “corporate smooth jazz Windows 95 pop,” and (my personal favorite) “better than that witch house shit.”

To put it another way, imagine taking bits of 80's Muzak, late-night infomercials, smooth jazz, and that tinny tune receptionists play when they put you on hold, then chopping that up, pitching it down, and scrambling it to the point where you’ve got saxophone goo dripping out of a cheap plastic valve. That’s vaporwave.

But even though sampling “cheesy” and “trashy” music is vaporwave’s M.O., parodying commercial taste isn’t exactly the goal. Vaporwave doesn’t just recreate corporate lounge music – it plumps it up into something sexier and more synthetic. Vaporwave makes the banal sound luscious, like the kind of beats you’d twerk to at the top of an empty skyscraper looking out across Dubai.

SPF420 has pretty much become a hub for the genre

Various Vaporwave Artists Include:

• Saint Pepsi
    [*]Blank Banshee
    [*]Virtual- 420
    [*]SVNSET WΛVES
    [*]Internet Club
    [*]Macintosh Plus
    [*]chris†††
    [*]Sugar C
    [*]Future City
    [*]Metallic Ghosts
    [*]Yung Sherman
    [*]Fogpak
    [*]Veracom
    [*]Photon!
    [*]회사AUTO
    [*]18 Carat Affair
    [*]White Woods
    [*]Eco Virtual
    [*]PCのMuseum
    [*]ULTRA ウルトラ
    [*]Bool
    [*]Avec Avec
    [*]Argiflex
    [*]bo en
    [*]Chaz & Alex
    [*]Choongum
    [*]Clownbb
    [*]Coinstarr
    [*]Contact Lens
    [*]Coolmemoryz
    [*]Datalife
    [*]DJ AFlow
    [*]DJ CLAP
    [*]DJ Paypal
    [*]Dolphin Tears
    [*]Drip-133
    [*]Esprit 空想
    [*]食品まつり a.k.a foodman
    [*]Hairspray Heart
    [*]Hearts Bonfire
    [*]Infinity Frequencies
    [*]日本人 - Japanese
    [*]Kodak Cameo
    [*]LAKE R▲DIO
    [*]Luxury Elite
    [*]Magic Fades
    [*]Meishi Smile
    [*]Minerals
    [*]Nmesh
    [*]No/Taste
    [*]REVERBlite
    [*]SEGA32-X
    [*] ショッピングワールドjp
    [*]Spazzkid Strip Mines
    [*]Svengali
    [*]Topaz Gang
    [*]Transmuteo
    [*]Tres Monitores
    [*]TV NICKS
    [*]Vektroid
    [*]VISAプリペイド
    [*]Wakesleep
    [*]Window
    [*]天安门 Tiananmen Square Dance

Some of my favorite vaporwave videos:

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I really liked 情報デスクVirtual's 札幌コンテンポラリー.

Protip: All of these are James Ferraro pseudonyms
He has too much stuff.

Slowdive

Banned
I don't really listen to a lot of vaporwave artists but I do like the genre.

My favorite vaporwave artist is Ventla, he's trying to release 100 albums for free. Releases them fairly regularly, he's up to album 25 at the moment. He's the only vaporwave artist I can listen to excessively. Composes all his own stuff as well.

Vektroid is probably my second favorite, surprised when I found out she had many aliases, including Macintosh Plus, 情報デスクVIRTUAL, Laserdisc Visions etc.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly thought this thread was about vaporware and was posted in the wrong forum.

“corporate smooth jazz Windows 95 pop,”

Brian Eno: The Microsoft Sound Sessions

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Sounds like the horrendous muzak from those educational videos they used to play at high school in the early 90's crossed with some witch house.

I... kind of like it.

braves01

Banned
I want there to be a subgenre of vaporwave called future syrup which is spiritually rooted in breakfast commercials from the 80s.

docbon

I want there to be a subgenre of vaporwave called future syrup which is spiritually rooted in breakfast commercials from the 80s.

VUNT JEMIMV - FU†URE SYRUP / W▲FFLE SOUNDS

My mind is racing with all sorts of random breakfast themed shit to put on an album cover.

mooooose

Studio 54 is my favorite, his new track Eye is really dope. He put out a snippet called Burn but the actually song sounds reeeeeally different.

Exr

Big fan of vaporwave, cant post a link since Im on mobile but Eccojams Virtual is my standout Vaporwave release this year. Anybody new to the genre should definitely seek out things from Internet Club.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
does anyone know how span lists horizontally?

Like this?

• Example
  • Example
  • Example
    • Example
    • Example
    • Example
      • Example
      • Example
      • Example
It's just a matter of nesting:

[list]