• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game(s) of the Generation

DryvBy

The closing of a console generation is only a couple of months away and with that we need to figure out which game or games (try to keep this minimum) you will look back at when you think of the Wii/PS3/360. Please, no PC-only games.

For me, the best three games this generation were Red Dead Redemption, Borderlands, and Gears of War.

Red Dead Redemption provided the biggest open-world I'd seen in a long time and it's multiplayer felt like a mini MMO with full-on PvP. I loaded it last night since I bought my dad a copy to play and I had fun exploring the deserts once again. While I love GTA V, I just think this game did something I always wanted: GTA in the wild west. It was the first of it's kind to bring a living world in virtual form.

Borderlands was unique and a game I used a lot of PTO at work to play. So did my best friend. We played well over 200 hours in the first few months and every now and then, I still load it up. I love stories in games but not every game needs a heavy story. Borderlands just gave me enough to get by but didn't force me into long, boring cinematic cutscenes. Pick up a mission, run to the checkpoint, and listen to the story as you play. That's what I liked. And there wasn't much of it. It felt like Diablo original. I didn't need to listen to have fun. Shoot things and loot things. Perfect and addicting.

Gears of War was really the first console game I took online for long periods of time. I played nightly for a while and loved the smaller maps and how focused it was. Then there was the single-player which I found to be amazing.

Surprise game of this generation: XCOM: Enemy Unknown. When MicroProse was putting out the originals, I was too busy playing other PC games and console games to give these a shot. Enemy Unknown might not be the highlight of the series but the layout of the game was perfect to me. I've beaten it on PS3 and I'm working my way through it on Steam now. It's a rewarding and easy to get into game.

Good night, sweet generation. You stayed a while and produced many great babies with me.

Super Mario Galaxy. Top of the line Mario platformer with amazing music and really imaginative level design, and the sequel is just as great.

Does Twilight Princess count? Cause if it does it's that. If not:

Metroid Prime 3 Corruption
Witcher 2
Assassin's Creed 2
Uncharted 2
Bayonetta

joe2187

Banned
Though technically not current gen.

Persona 4: The Golden is probably the platinum standard when it comes to doing a re-make/re-release of a game.

Skyrim PC w/ Workshop - Nexus

The Last of Us

Grand Theft Auto 5

Demons Souls

Call of Duty : Modern Warfare

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Journey

Metal Gear Solid 4

Kyoufu

Mass Effect
COD4
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Valkyria Chronicles
The Last Of Us
Dragon's Dogma

I'm probably missing a few but these, off the top of my head, are the most memorable this gen for me.

My current top 3 games of the generation are:

GTA5 - It's not perfect, but what it does well it does so brilliantly and without equal.

Red Dead Redemption - I don't know how many hours I've been put into this game. The western setting with the Rockstar gameplay combined into one of my favorite gaming experiences ever.

The Last of Us - Fun gameplay, and a great story.

Casval

Neo Member
Of the ones I've played, inFAMOUS and Metal Gear Solid 4 are pretty good. I'd give Vanquish and Batman: Arkham Asylum honourable mention. I haven't played any of the other obvious contenders such as The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto V (or IV), games in the Uncharted series, and God of War 3.

Caode

Red Dead Redemption
The Last of Us
Uncharted 2
Grand Theft Auto 4
Grand Theft Auto 5
Bioshock
Bioshock Infinite
Mass Effect 2
Burnout Paradise
Portal 2
Skyrim
Super Mario Galaxy
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Metal Gear Solid 4

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The Last of Us

Uncharted 2

Bioshock

Gears of War

If I had to pick just one:

The Last of Us

3. The Last of Us

TheLastOfUs.jpg

2. BioShock Infinite

475177.jpg

1. BioShock

BioShock_cover.jpg

Bayonetta
Vanquish
Anarchy Reigns (Damn shame it's unique brawler MP didn't catch on, hopefully someone will make a similar game in the future)
Sin & Punishment 2
Akia Katana
Eschatos
Mushihimisama Futari
Mario Galaxy
Dark Souls
Rayman Origins
Outlander
Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes
Mirrors Edge
Mass Effect 1
Cave Story
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Recettear

Toxi

Banned
Demon's Souls: This game easily has the best level design of the generation, period. The game combines gameplay mechanics like the half healthbar soul form and presentation to make an oppressive experience. Boss fights are creative and risky, the online system was innovative with its unique anonymous approach, and the soundtrack is varied and perfectly fit each situation.

Dark Souls: While individual levels aren't as well designed as Demon's Souls, the interconnected world design is more fascinating than the hub structure and reminds me of oldschool Metroid. Boss fights are more refined than Demon's Souls, creating tense endurance battles of skill and preparation. The emphasis on secrets allowed the online community to become incredibly close-knit and resilient as we tried to figure out what was fact or fiction.

Honestly, I have trouble picking which one of the above is my favorite. I have never enjoyed dying as much as I did this generation.

Warhawk
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Deus Ex- Human Revolution
Uncharted 2
The Last of Us
Mark of the Ninja
Grand Theft Auto 5
Ratchet and Clank- A Crack in Time

-MD-

Perfect Dark Zero - The reason I bought my launch 360. It brought me into the HD world and provided months of addicting multiplayer. Say what you will about the campaign but the multiplayer was perfect and it's a shame Microsoft dumped the series.

Chromehounds - I've never been big into mech games but I can safely say this was the one that got me into them. Building them with my buddies on xbla and wrecking people for weeks. Shame this too never got a sequel.

Team Fortress 2 - Not really sure when I got into TF2, probably somewhere around 2009 but I still play it on a daily basis. 800+ hours and counting. I want a Team Fortress 3 so I can be there to experience the launch magic.

The Last of Us - A game that finally lived up to the hype.

sn00zer

Bioshock 1 and Infinite
The Last of Us
Unfinished Swan
Journey
Arkham Asylum games
GTAV
Portal 1 and 2
FEZ

Tried picking games that did something groundbreaking

Too many good ones to list, so here's my definite top 3 (not that far into GTAV yet, so that could change things):

1 - Mario Galaxy
2 - The Last of Us
3 - Bayonetta

Assassins Creed 2: Brotherhood. This game is easily my favorite game of this generation. I would go as far as to crown it the best new ip of the gen. This game just took everything that AC2 fixed from the first and worked out the kinks and adding the training of fellow assassins giving it the feel that this is a group bigger then just you and your mission. It was to me the perfect game in the franchise.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Journey
Bayonetta
Arkham Asylum/City
Uncharted 2
Demon's Souls/Dark Souls

No order. These are the games that have lasting mindshare for me.

ghibli99

Too many to choose from. Based on my own docs where I track this stuff, though, a few of the tops for me were:

Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 (Wii)
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride (DS)
Journey (PS3)
Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
Super Meat Boy (360)
Super Hexagon (iOS/Android)
Rayman Origins (PS3)
Portal 2 (PC)
999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors (DS)

seady

Subjectively:
1. Puzzle & Dragons
2. Red Dead Redemption
3. Super Mario Galaxy
4. Dead Rising
5. Street Figher 4

Objectively:
1. Call of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare
2. Angry Birds
3. Dark Soul
4. Super Mario Galaxy
5. Uncharted 2
(1. Puzzle & Dragons - for Asia countries)

HeelPower

My best personal experiences in the generation so far :FFXIII-1 ,MGS4, DarkSouls, Tekken 6, The Last of Us, Uncharted 3, Ni No Kuni,The Witcher 2

jett

D-Member
I think Super Mario Galaxy is the one. SMG2 is great too but that one is almost an expansion pack of sorts.

imBask

Banned
Dark Souls is my pick for GOTG by a margin

Honorable mentions for what they achieved (no matter if I like them or not) would be : TF2, League of legends, Minecraft, Mario Galaxy, Wii Sports, Super Meat Boy, Red Dead Redemption, Portal 1 and probably CoD4.

i'm also almost ready to add GTA V to that list, because it's by far the best GTA i've played, and i've been a Rockstar fanboy forever. it's one heck of a game

inb4 this thread turns into a TLoU "my opinion is better than yours" angry-fest like every previous Game of the generation thread

jvm

Gamasutra.
Sure. I'll bite.

Bioshock 2 - As much as Bioshock was a revelatory experience, Bioshock 2 managed to do one better: a more enjoyable game with an even better story.

Uncharted 2 - See above. Same thing.

Portal 2 - See above. Same thing.

The Last of Us - A game that thrilled, terrified, and emotionally drained me for weeks. For me, personally, the first game that I think addressed me as a human being with a soul and a mind in conflict.

Pac-man CE DX - I am pretty far from a Tim Rogers fan, but I still come back to his line about this game: "It's like a magic trick: all at once, you understand that Pac-Man has always been a puzzle game, and that, until CE DX, it just hasn't been a very good one." That's right on. And this game shows that there are still great action/puzzle experiences to be made.

God of War: Chains of Olympus - The very proof that console game experiences on handhelds can be done and done well. It's also got one of the best uses of QTE that I've ever experienced.
I still get upset when I have to use the buttons on the PSP to literally push my dear, little daughter away and leave her in Hades, just so I can save the rest of the world. You know how you get kind of an ache in your fingers from a long QTE? Now it's physical manifestation of heartache. At least, for me it worked brilliantly.

Coconut

Banned
I feel that Minecraft, Dark Souls and CoD are what have set the tone of this gen and the bar that is being set for the beginning of next gen.

Top Bottom