• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS4 draws 10W in standby mode (ArsTechnica)

strata8

Edit: Mistake by Ars. Was meant to say 10W, not 70W.

I know there's the power draw thread already but I think this is pretty big news in itself.

Their other figures were 90W while idle, 150W while playing games (DF - 80W/140W)

Electrically, the PS4 draws about 150 Watts of energy when playing a high end game like Killzone, a number that drops to 130 or 140 Watts when playing less intensive titles like Resogun. That's better than the roughly 180 Watts of the launch edition of the PlayStation 3, but worse than the 100-or-so Watt maximum in more recent redesigns. Even in its "low power" standby mode, the PS4 still draws a significant 70 Watts of power, so you should turn it all the way off unless you're planning on doing a lot of overnight downloads or Vita Remote Play.

AdyG8GYl.png

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/11/playstation-4-hardware-review-off-to-a-mixed-start/

I find this a little hard to believe? 70W is well past the point where you need active cooling (ie, you'd have the fan running all the time during standby) and most devices consume 1-2W, if that.

Standby mode as in like when the power led is red on the ps3 when you turn it off with the controller?

Holy mother of power bills.

613kwh a year at 20 cents per kwh
122 euros on your power bill per year just from standby mode

GavinGT

Banned
And people were complaining that Xbox One's standby power consumption was too high:

When it’s ready to respond to “Xbox On” it uses about 14 watts, which is about five US cents (or about four Euro cents) per day. In its lowest power state, Xbox One uses only a ½-watt, which is less than about a half a U.S. cent or one-third of a Euro cent per day.

This isn't possible. It would have been tested for power consumption in the EU, Australia, both of which wouldn't allow this.

Someone fucked up.

gruenel

Can't be true if they want to sell it in the EU.

Also, Cerny specifically stated in an interview that part of the reason why an additional ARM chip was implemented was to conform to EU standby power regulations.

I already mailed Ars about this, let's see what they say.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
And to be clear, 2013 rules state in the EU any electrical device has to draw NO MORE than 0.5w in Standby.
Yeah that can't be correct.
Someone should hook up an energy consumption meter and double check.

What is even in there that could possibly draw 70W while basically being "off"? I find this hard to believe. Not to mention the inevitable heat generation.

Sickbean

Either Sony fucked up the firmware somehow, or Ars fucked up their power graph.

No way a piece of consumer electronics in 2013 draws 70 watts in standby. It would be illegal to sell it in the EU.

USC-fan

Banned
My ps4 has been in standby overnight and its completely cold.

They must have been doing something in standby mode. Find this number very hard to believe. Anyone have a power meter?

Sony put a arm processor in there just to have this low power state. Fuck at 70W just leave the thing on.

Hasney

If the reading was accurate, it had to be doing something in the background surely. Although even then, the low-power hardware would't be very low power.

Damian.

Banned
What is it doing that it requires that much wattage idling? My OC SLI PC uses right at 100w with my LCD screen also attached to the Kill-A-Watt. Hopefully this is something they can fix with a firmware update.

Assuming the site didn't just f up, my guess would be it was measured while something was going on. Maybe while something was installing. No way that's normal standby with nothing going on.

strata8

And to be clear, 2013 rules state in the EU any electrical device has to draw NO MORE than 0.5w in Standby.

I thought that was when they were completely turned off (vampire load)? The Xbox One draws 15W as well during standby, and I'd guess that many PCs also draw more than 0.5W.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That's much higher than expected. Shutdown confirmed for me.

gruenel

I thought that was when they were completely turned off (vampire load)? The Xbox One draws 15W as well during standby, and I'd guess that many PCs also draw more than 0.5W.

Xbox One has two standby modes, one where it's listening to "Xbox On" (this one draws 14W) and another low-power standby where it's not listening (<1W).

Top Bottom