• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS4 draws 10W in standby mode (ArsTechnica)

sublimit

Banned
AdyG8GYl.png

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/11/playstation-4-hardware-review-off-to-a-mixed-start/

I'd like to see a PS3 comparison to this.

Mondy

Banned
Yeah nah. Ars have fucked this one up. There is no way in hell this is true. The PS4s are already sitting in distribution in both EU and Australia waiting to go out, ffs. If this were true, they wouldn't have made it through the door.

Melter

I think this is true, because when I put my ps4 on standby I noticed it still kept running the fans and even spinning them up slightly on occasion. Hope it's a firmware problem because I don't want my ps4 fan running 24/7. Turned the console fully off instead now.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
There not making good use of that extra low-power CPU that was discovered during the teardown :(

there's 10 w difference between DF and ars measures

fID19io.png

Not unreasonably out of the question as even though both were idle, during the measurements there could've been some background stuff going on that makes the difference that is hard to spot.

That is why the "range" is better then a hard number that DF gave, so it gives you a feel; still looks like there was something adding a few watts during Ars idle test.

Doesn't invalidate the numbers though, including the standby one.

RK9039

So did Ars: they got 90W, DF got 80W. Ars definitely fucked up somewhere, but the question that remains is that does said fuckup account for the 70W standby claim?

They did say 'lower power standby mode', which is the standby download mode? I don't think there's anything to worry about.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
so standby just presses pause, stops outputting video and turns the fan off? hard to believe.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, it looks like the console does a lot of things when in standby. But that's about 5$ / month to the electricity bill if you never turn it off :\

*ah OK, 10W* Well that makes sense give Xbox1's 14W requirement, since both machines need to be ready do all kinds of stuff while in standby. So less than a 1 a month then, that's not too bad?

Wereroku

Yep they screwed up big time even listed high standby usage as a con:

From article-Relatively high power consumption, even in standby mode.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Coming up 10w now. Looks like it was a typo, but that is still fairly high.

thats not unreasonable, you still have a little computer with 256MB ram sitting polling the network for remoteplay requests, updates for software, and stuff you buy from the web etc.

Also much more reassuring. if it was really 70W I wouldn't leave it like that 24/7, I'd shut it down. But 10W is fine for the convenience of the background stuff

elty

They probably have 2 standby mode:

Traditional standby - allows quick start up, does not allow background download
New standby - allows quick start up and background download

Or it could be when the system does not go into standby mode immediately - maybe it was still processing background task while it "appears" to be standby.

So I just redid the test and now it's reading 10 Watts. I swear when I did this before it was up at 70. Don't know if something changed or if I just misread in a sleep deprived haze or what, but it's now fixed.

In penance, I'm going to leave my PS4 fully on all month and eat the power bill.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
And to be clear, 2013 rules state in the EU any electrical device has to draw NO MORE than 0.5w in Standby.

This isn't actually standby though, I don't think Sony even calls it that. It's a low-power mode where certain components are still actively running. The actual standby mode is when you turn it off properly, and I think that's where the EU rules come in?

Still, this is certainly more than I would have expected. Most of the console is supposed to be turned off in the low-power mode, right? The background DL chip is powered, and obviously also the HDD. Anything else? Would the RAM need to be powered?

EDIT: Ok, 10W sounds a bit more reasonable for what the console is doing in this state.

Top Bottom