• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 2 is one of the most original and interesting RPGs I've ever played

Jharp

...and it's a JRPG. A Final Fantasy game. By Square. From 1988. What?!

I'm not the biggest JRPG fan of all time, though I've had several love affairs with them, and there are quite a few I adore. Lately I've actually been pretty nuts about them. Dragon Quest IX was a blast, I'm a huge fan of Radiant Historia, and a few months ago I decided to finally give the Final Fantasy series a good honest try, since the only two games in the series I'd ever really played were X, which I hated, and XII, which I loved, though I finished neither.

I figured that the best way to play them would be in order, though to save myself some headache, I decided against playing the original version of each. I recently finished the GBA Dawn of Souls version of Final Fantasy 1, which I found really enjoyable for a classic and standard-as-it-gets JRPG, and now I'm on the DoS version of 2. And man it... it kinda kicks ass.

Don't get me wrong, I know alot of people have issues with the same things I'm about to talk about loving, but considering that the game came out in 88, I think it's rad. Most of the ideas it had were so fresh and it makes me genuinely sad that JRPGs have largely gone down a far less interesting route.

Leveling in Final Fantasy 2 does away with experience entirely, and instead you gain proficiency in skills as you use them. Sort of like how it works in Elder Scrolls games, only you're managing four different party members at a time (the character in the fourth slot changes throughout the game). Want to get better at beating on dudes with swords? Equip a sword and start beating on dudes with it. Want to get better at healing magic? Start casting cure like a motherfucker. But here's where it gets super interesting- you can use any ability or spell on anybody in the battle arena, and not only that, any spell can be split up into an multi-target attack. Gone are the days of FF1's single-target damaging spells and higher end multi-target spells. In FF2 you just have, say, fire. You can cast it on one dude for a ton of damage or on several dudes for less damage, but across multiple targets. RPGs today are still using unique spells for each type of attack, and it's such an interesting idea to see it done FF2's way.

So yes, you can totally beat up your own party members, or cast healing spells and buffs on enemies. Why would you ever do any of that? Well, for the most part, you wouldn't. Unless you wanted to train those specific skills, in which case, it becomes super effective. Too effective, in fact, because there are several methods of abusing the system to train the fuck out of your guys into ultra-badasses relatively easily, and just sweep the rest of the game. I've opted to not take this route, because I find the system interesting and fun to use, and don't want to just steamroll everything like I did in FF1 after grinding for a bit.

Also, each of your party members is right or left handed, and you can equip weapons in either hand. If they're right handed, their left handed attack will be weaker, but you can still equip one in order to give them a second swing on each attack command. If you've got the guy trained up in strength and that weapon, it's a good amount of extra damage your allowing your guy to deal. Such a cool little thing. The three core party members are all right handed, or at least they are in my game (perhaps it's randomized?), and I've yet to run into a left handed party member, but I really like the idea that I have to make sure to equip a weapon in the correct hand in order to make sure they're most effective with it. I'm not sure if it's really all that effective, but I've got my caster holding shields in each hand to boost her defense.

Finally, the game's got a primitive dialogue system that I kind of dig. How many JRPGs out there have dialogue systems? Probably more than I realize, but still, it's not common. In FF2, when talking to important NPCs, you can either ask them something, learn something from them, or show them an item. The item thing is just there to let you "use" story items on the NPCs in order to progress the story, so that's no big deal, but the other two are pretty cool. When talking to NPCs, they'll sometimes say specific terms you can then learn from them, which adds the term to a bank of words you can then ask other NPCs about in order to complete quests and do other shit. It's actually not been put to too much great use, but I still love it.

It's all very primitive and idealistic, and in the case of the leveling is outright broken in several ways. None of it gets to put to as great a use as it could have been, but then, I just love that the game tried such radical and new things.

Someday I will play this. The whole leveling up system is exactly what has always turned me off. I want to play the original NES version when the time comes, so I need to track down a repro of it or something so I can play it in english.

Sergiepoo

Yeah, I've been going through the games in sequence as well and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I think the Dawn of Souls/Anniversary Edition fixes a lot of the mechanical issues with the battle system. You'll still have to do some grinding, but it's not nearly as detrimental as it seems to be in the original.

One thing that I loved is that it had an actual story rather than having a giant plot dump at the end like in 1 & 3. Sure, the whole "evil empire" thing is played out by today's standards, but at least the story existed. Little things like Cid's airship you occasionally see flying across the world map really fleshes out the world. For stuff like that, it's probably my favorite of the original NES trilogy.

Acrylic7

Square Soft is pretty much the pinnacle of JRPG's imo. Quality stamp.
So the only two Final Fantasy games that you played besides 2 were 10, and 12?

If so then you should give FF3snes, FF7,8,9 a try.

7 is my favorite. But 9 is the best Final Fantasy hands down.

antitrop

I've played every single mainline Final Fantasy game. FF2 is the worst game in the entire series.

Yes, it's worse than XIII (but only just barely).

My favorites are VI, VII, and IX, so you know where I'm coming from. VII is my favorite game of all time (pretty much tied with Chrono Trigger).

Want to gain HP? Attack your own party. Want to gain MP? Cast osmose on the undead. But whatever you do.... WHATEVER YOU DO... do not sell the blood sword to make room in inventory.

Aurongel

The story for it's time might have been pretty novel but I can guarantee that IV will stand the test of time better in almost every way. The magic experience system was grindy and dull. The final boss is trivial with the blood sword.

Steel

Banned
I did like the things you mentioned about FF 2, but I wouldn't go as far as your title does.

Op. A question. Have you played Chrono Trigger?

Cause, I think you'd like it(It doesn't have FF 2's level up system, but it has fairly interesting mechanics).

Also, if you like dialogue systems, see Ys I & II.

Edit:
I've played every single mainline Final Fantasy game. FF2 is the worst game in the entire series.

Yes, it's worse than XIII (but only just barely).

Wait, what? You crazy? I hardly love 2, but calling it worse than XIII is incredibly hard to understand.

Zhao_Yun

Actually I enjoyed playing FFII despite the obvious flaws in the leveling system. The story is very simple by todays standards but far superior than I and III and I liked the OST as well. I definitely liked it more than FFIII because job systems just don't click with me...

Steel

Banned
Thats good to know, gonna be playing that for the first time when the hd version comes out next year.

I'd.... Avoid that if you don't wanna ruin your image of certain X characters. The battle system's alright, but..... Yeah, I'm sure you've at least heard.

EvaUnit02

Neo Member
FFII is one of the better cardinal games, in my opinion.

Of course, I'm also a fan of FFXIII so make of it what you will.

FFII is extremely underrated. While the battle system is very easy to exploit, it does provide a very interesting take on the genre. Plus, I think the cast of characters are pretty awesome.

I'd.... Avoid that if you don't wanna ruin your image of certain X characters. The battle system's alright, but..... Yeah, I'm sure you've at least heard.

Its cool, I pretty much only care about battle systems, I know that's kinda a weird way to approach jrpgs but...eh.

NM0dz

Neo Member
I haven't played FF2 before, but that level up system does sound interesting.

I'm playing through Secret of Mana at the moment, and the leveling up and magic system from FF2 sounds similar to the magic system in that.

I'd love a game similar to Secret of Mana to come out for current gen consoles. Make it with art similar to Nier's and just copy the battle systems straight out of old AJRPGs...

Steel

Banned
Its cool, I pretty much only care about battle systems, I know that's kinda a weird way to approach jrpgs but...eh.

No, it's fine, quite a few RPGs(Dragon's Dogma being among them) I approach the same way, it's just when the story is actively trying to gouge your eyes out through it's shittiness it's hard to give the game a chance.

FF 2 has grown on me over the years. Probably because is reminds me of VIII, in how your goals in combat can go beyond just killing your enemies. I like to call it the "playing with your food" approach to combat.

cafemomo

My first exposure to the "real" FFII was on the GBA (Dawn of Souls)

Remember enjoying my runthrough of it back then but I really didn't care for the story. Characters and OST were memorable though.

Gotta play me the original Famicom version one of these days when I have the time.

Daggoth

Can't agree with the combat system at all. Apparently I was so awesome at this game that after breezing through the first few dungeons, every party member was getting one-shotted on the next. Solution? Beat up your own characters to grind HP.

Shit's ridiculous. The levelling / stat grind is bad enough without trying to find appropriate equipment to not one-shot yourself too.

It SOUNDS like a great and simple idea, but it doesn't work as intended.

Is the ds version of chrono trigger any good? I heard the psn version has loading issues so I have yet to play the game, but if the ds version is fine ill check it out (long overdue I know)

antitrop

yes buy it. better than the PSN version by a long shot
The extra post-game content they added is worthless, but Chrono Trigger on DS is a great port.

PS1 version has awesome anime cutscenes, but just watch those on YouTube and skip the worst version of the game.

Zhao_Yun

I don't think that's weird at all. Considering how much time one spends in normal battles in JRPGs a bad battle system can kill the game for me. That doesn't mean that I don't care about other aspects like story or presentation but they aren't as important to me. I enjoyed a lot of JRPGs which had a brilliant battle system but were bad or mediocre in other aspects whereas it's difficult for me to ignore a bad or boring battle system just for the story. Enjoyed Star Ocean IV much more than Lost Odyssey for example although the latter one is probably objectively the better game.

Steel

Banned
Is the ds version of chrono trigger any good? I heard the psn version has loading issues so I have yet to play the game, but if the ds version is fine ill check it out (long overdue I know)

Load times between each and every menu that slowly build up to you wanting to push something, vs instant loading with a tiny bit of extra content. You decide.

Fou-Lu

Most people I talk to about FF2 think it sucks, but it's one of my favorite games in the series. Great game and you have good taste OP.

TDLink

The extra post-game content they added is worthless, but Chrono Trigger on DS is a great port.

PS1 version has awesome anime cutscenes, but just watch those on YouTube and skip the worst version of the game.

IIRC the cutscenes are in the DS version also...but I could be remembering wrong since I have played the SNES, PS1, and DS versions.

DS version is definitely the best/

NeoGash

I loved FFII. Leveling up your skills encouraged you to use spells you wouldn't normally use or weapons you wouldn't normally use. I think it was one of the best in the FF series, as I find most after the PS1 era suck.

AwShucks

FF2 is my third favorite numbered FF behind 7 and 10. I've always loved the gameplay systems and the story/villain.

Zebetite

Banned
It's a neat little game in a historical context and laid a lot of groundwork for future FF games (i.e: main characters are actual characters with default names and stuff), but if Prospective Gamers are just in the market for a good JRPG, there's now a million other options that are significantly better experiences.

Most people will be better off not playing it, unless they want a very thorough knowledge of the FF series or JRPG history.

Folstern

I speak beaver.

I've beaten every game in the numbered series, and FFII is up there amongst my favorites. It had a plot, took a risk in experience gaining, had characters with personalities (not great, but a start), and I didn't feel the need to put it down like I have with a lot of other FF titles. The fact that I knew I had to beat up my own characters to level up stats didn't bother me, although I could see how some people would be put off by it.

The game was a pleasant surprise.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Final Fantasy 2 is basically the prototype for what became the SaGa series. Those games adopt a lot of the design principles it introduced and iterated on them while the remainder of the Final Fantasy series largely abandoned them.

I've always really liked the game in spite of a lot of its jankiness. Its later ports/remakes/upgrades have also been consistently more faithful to the original version than the equivalent FF1 iterations. They mostly limited changes to bug fixes and new content without changing fundamental game mechanics, and I really quite appreciate that.

Neato game, really. Glad to hear you like it.

I really enjoyed FF II as well. I liked the weapon system and felt like it was a HUGE upgrade from the first FF. I'm super glad to see someone advocating it.

rataven

Nice to see II get some love. Always enjoyed the story and characters (Minwu <3). They tried to implement some interesting ideas with this game, and while they didn't necessary work, I find it hard to fault them too much. II was experimental for a sequel; it was a bold move to leave some conventions from FFI behind and form it's own thing, but that shift helped to set the template for the series going forward. Never felt it deserved it's bottom-of-the-barrel status. That belongs to VIII.

Link1110

Final Fantasy 2 was very ahead of its time in many aspects, but it has great flaws. Kawazu didn't get the system right until SaGa 2 IMO but FF2 is a decent game in the remakes.

Esura

Banned
Wait, what? You crazy? I hardly love 2, but calling it worse than XIII is incredibly hard to understand.

Seems easy to me. Story was a bit weak but the biggest offender was the battle system which was a poorly implemented clusterfuck.

eliochip

*high five*

Dawn of Souls was the first time I actually completed a proper FF game.

Since then I played and completed most of them (including FF7) and FFII is still my favorite.

Well...In terms of the main series. FFT is my real favorite.

Toth

FF2 is a quirky, but deep RPG that is astonishing in how much it changed up the formula from its career (and company) saving predecessor. I always enjoy playing it for its original plot (for the time I mean. What other games in that early era dealt with betrayals, strong villains, sacrifice, and Hell itself as well as 2 did), its solid battle system, its unique growth system that does allow you to truly build any character how you wanted to (thankfully refined more in later version), and an excellent soundtrack. It is far from the greatest game ever but it is worthy of the FF name.

RDreamer

After playing FF2 I really thought that FF4 kind of gets more credit than it deserves. 4's a great game, mind you. It's also historically important, but it does seem like really FF2 is the big originator of combining story with gameplay in the FF series and RPGs in general.

Top Bottom