• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF TV Show of the Year 2013 Voting Thread! Cast your votes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
*Rules*

- Each person makes a list of up to 10 entries. No more than 10, please. Their #1 will get 10 points, #2 will get 9 points, #3 will get 8, and so on. Unranked lists will not be tallied.

- Editing is permitted and encouraged for as long as the thread stays open. Please do not post your list more than once.

- Write a comment about each show and I might just incorporate it into the results thread!

- After voting ends, I will compile a single list based on the established point system.

Sample Ballot

You don’t have to follow this format strictly, but it will make the tallying process a lot easier for me and will help to avoid any complications. Thanks!

1. TV Show A ; Your thoughts on TV Show A.
2. TV Show B ; Your thoughts on TV Show B.
3. TV Show C ; Your thoughts on TV Show C.
4. TV Show D ; Your thoughts on TV Show D.
5. TV Show E ; Your thoughts on TV Show E.
6. TV Show F ; Your thoughts on TV Show F.
7. TV Show G ; Your thoughts on TV Show G.
8. TV Show H ; Your thoughts on TV Show H.
9. TV Show I ; Your thoughts on TV Show I.
10. TV Show J ; Your thoughts on TV Show J.

Eligibility

Any new TV series and any season of an existing series that aired in 2013 is eligible.

Anthology series (such as American Horror Story) are eligible, however, each season is counted as it's own thing.

TV movies, Miniseries, Foreign series, Reality series, and Documentaries (e.g. Frozen Planet, Walking with Dinosaurs) are all eligible.

Here's a list of 2013 TV shows for reference.

Voting will end on January 7.

Links to the voting threads from previous years - 2012, 2011

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Alan Sepinwall - TV Top 10 for 2013

10 - The Good Wife
9 - Hannibal
8 - Southland
7 - Boardwalk Empire
6 - Mad Men
5 - Masters of Sex
4 - Top of the Lake
3 - Enlightened
2 - Orange is the New Black
1 - Breaking Bad

Mo Ryan - Best TV Of 2013

Borgen
Breaking Bad
Broadchurch
Enlightened
Game of Thrones
Mad Men
Masters of Sex
Orange is the New Black
Orphan Black
Rectify
The Returned
Top of the Lake

Emily Nussbaum - I Really Do Hate Top-Ten Lists

To my mind the best series of 2013 is Mike White’s anxiety-provoking, weirdly humane dark comedy “Enlightened”.

These are the other shows that I enjoyed the most in 2013:

“The Good Wife,” “Please Like Me,” “Orange Is the New Black,” “Bob’s Burgers,” “Top of the Lake,” “Behind the Candelabra,” “Girls,” “Scandal,” “Mad Men,” “30 Rock”, “The Middle,” “Raising Hope,” “Eastbound & Down,” “Veep,” “Orphan Black,” “Always Sunny In Philadelphia,” “Key & Peele,” “Parks and Recreation,” “Inside Amy Schumer,” “The Fosters,” “Children’s Hospital,” “Game of Thrones,” “Switched at Birth,” “Breaking Bad,” “American Horror Story,” “Treme,” “The Americans,” “Call the Midwife,” “Parenthood,” “The Returned,” “Broadchurch,” “The Fall,” and “Masters of Sex.”

James Poniewozik - Top 10 TV Shows

10 - Orphan Black
9 - Mad Men
8 - Th Americans
7 - Rectify
6 - Bob's Burgers
5 - The Good Wife
4 - Game of Thrones
3 - Orange is the New Black
2 - Breaking Bad
1 - Enlightened

AFI - AFI Television Programs of the Year

The Americans
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
The Good Wife
House of Cards
Mad Men
Masters of Sex
Orange is the New Black
Scandal
Veep

Tim Goodman - Best Cable Dramas of 2013

1 - Breaking Bad
2 - Broadchurch
3 - The Returned
4 - Game of Thrones
5 - Orphan Black
6 - The Walking Dead
7 - The Americans
8 - Orange is the New Black
9 - Rectify
10 - Mad Men

Entertainment Weekly - 10 Best TV Shows of '13

10 - Arrested Development
9 - The Fall
8 - House of Cards
7 - Mad Men
6 - Orange is the New Black
5 - Breaking Bad
4 - Parks and Recreation
3 - Orphan Black
2 - Time of Death
1 - American Horror Story: Coven

ivysaur12

Banned
tumblr_m9qfihXzZG1r76lino1_500.gif
tumblr_m9qfihXzZG1r76lino1_500.gif

TV VOTING TIME

1. Enlightened - One of the most beautiful series in the era of modern television. Absolutely stunning and heart wrenching. I don't think there's ever been a show that's connected to the human experience as purely as Enlightened. Rest in peace.
2. Breaking Bad - The final 8 episodes were a fantastic capper to one of the greatest modern television series. Ozymandias is certainly one of the greatest episodes of the year, and I was satisfied with the ending.
3. The Good Wife - After a fairly hit or miss season 4, The Good Wife absolutely destroyed its world and is better for it. This is one of the slickest shows on television and is having the season of its life. The Good Wife continues to be one of the greatest law series of all time, and its a shame that more people aren't watching.
4. Rectify - The best new series of the year. A haunting look into one man's life post-prison release. Slow, methodical, and absolutely harrowing. One of the strongest freshman entries in a very long time.
5. Orange is the New Black - This comedy/drama deserves all the buzz it receives -- a unique perspective into a world rarely examined. Fantastic characters help round out an incredibly strong ensemble that will hopefully sweep up at awards season.
6. Happy Endings - My sweet show :-(
7. Southland - Along with Enlightened and Happy Endings, Southland caps off a gang of shows that were killed before their time. Like The Good Wife, Southland harks back to 80s/90s prestige broadcast dramas like Hill Street Blues or Homicide, but with its own stunning voice. This is The Last Great Cop Show.
8. Mad Men - I'm always a little less enthused by Mad Men compared to its peers, but there's no denying it's one of the strongest shows airing.
9. The Americans - Another freshman standout, The Americans is grounded by fantastic performances and setting, but what really makes The Americans work is that it isn't necessarily just about secrets of spy life. It's about secrets in marriage life.
10. Orphan Black - I don't think Orphan Black worked 100% of the time -- it seemed to meander a bit in the middle, and I wasn't entirely sold in its mythological cohesion. That being said, Tatiana Maslany (and also the underrated Jordan Gavaris) is incredible in her five different roles. She should've been nominated for an Emmy. And she should have won.

Honorable mentions (in no order):
American Horror Story: Coven
Arrested Development
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Game of Thrones
Getting On
Hannibal
House of Cards
Justified
Key & Peele
The Mindy Project
Scandal
Sleepy Hollow
Switched at Birth
Reign

Most improved show of 2013: Revolution season 2 or The Mindy Project season 2

Worst sophomore slump of 2013: Girls season 2

Best freshman show of 2013: Rectify

Worst freshman show of 2013: Dads or The Following

LNBL

Allright! Voting time.

1- Breaking Bad - Season 5 had it all, the acting, the directing, the filming, the music, the suspense. This show is up there with The Sopranos for me.
2- Person of Interest - As weeks passed POI started getting better, but holy crap it has been a roller coaster ride this season! Jim Caviziel is an amazing actor and portrays his character in an amazing and dark way. The show has a great plot and will appeal to people that think about the whole "Big Brother" concept, even applies a bit of Watchdogs hacking ;)
3- Arrow - In my opinion it is the best superhero-comic based TV show airing at the moment. The show combines action a drama in a good way and it does a perfect job in sustaining the superhero abilities to keep it as realistic as possible.
4- House of Cards - Amazing show that perfectly portrays the use of power and corruption in the political arena. Kevin Spacey is absolutely amazing in his role and plays the anti-hero you will learn to love.
5- Ray Donovan - The show follows Ray Donovan (Liev Schreiber) in his job as professional fixer for the rich and famous in Los Angeles. It combines both comedy, tragedy and action in a perfect balance. This show grabbed me and I watched the whole first season in 1 weekend, I mean come on who does not like a Irish bad ass?
6- The Newsroom - This show does a great job in combining both current events (at the time of airing) with a good portion of humor. Almost all of the characters are well written and the dialogue between them is a great result of Aaron Sorkin's writing.
7- The Mentalist - Ahh The Mentalist, this show is rather "special" to me, since i've been following it since the pilot with my best mate. This final season was all about Red John and it delivered in the episodes leading up to the Arc Finale.
8- Suits
9- The Following - The show has its flaws and some moments can be deemed implausible, but I think it makes up for it with the action and suspense it delivers.
10- The Blacklist

Honorable mentions:
Brooklyn Nine Nine ( Funny as hell)
Homeland
The Walking Dead
Game of Thrones
Community
Psych

heisenberg-saymyname.gif

Sheik

1. Orange is the New Black
2. Breaking Bad
3. Modern family
4. Orphan Black
5. Game of Thrones
6. Parks and Rec
7. The Good Wife
8. Top Chef
9. Elementary
10. The Walking Dead

To be honest, 2-10 are on pretty equal footing for me. Homeland just missed the list and I was tempted to put Switched at Birth on there too lol. Wasn't that impressed by tv this year. Maybe it was because of preoccupation or other priorities. Never heard of Enlightened, I'll check it out.

1. Fringe, Last time it can ever be voted for!
2. Breaking Bad, Ditto!
3. Luther
4. Person of Interest, my favorite currently airing network show
5. Justified
6. Orphan Black, because I guess Canadians can make TV shows
7. Continuum
8. Game of Thrones
9. Psych, my favorite comedy
10. Gravity Falls

Edit: Honorable mention: Suits
Very high possibility that order will change and possibly #10!

Frost_Ace

1) Enlightened - I'll never forgive HBO for cancelling this (and Carnivale and Deadwood for that matter).
2) Breaking Bad - Well it's BB, I'm still struggling over the ending though so it's not my number 1.
3) Justified - Decoy is the best episode of the year after Ozymandias enough said.
4) Top of the Lake - Elisabeth Moss was amazing, great direction btw.
5) Mad Men - it feels weird to put it so low but the season finale DELIVERED, psyched for the last season.
6) Broadchurch - while I think it suffers too much for being a whodunit type of story it was absolutely beautiful.
7) Game of Thrones - After the disappointment of the second season I liked this season much more, also Nikolaj Coster Waldau is amazing.
8) Arrested Development - Was expecting more I guess, still funny as hell, particularly in the second half of the season.
9) House of Cards - it was good not great. My favorite part of the season was the relationship between the main two characters.
10) American Horror Story: Coven - this season is kinda meh but ok enough.

I really need to catch up on OITNB, The Americans and Hannibal :/

Linkhero1

1. Breaking Bad

I also watched The Walking Dead, but it's not going on my list. I started Justified recently so I can't put it on my list either.

Servbot24

Banned
1 - Breaking Bad
2 - Mad Men
3 - American Horror Story
4 - Parks & Recreation
5 - Adventure Time
6 - Game of Thrones
7 - Arrested Development

Those are the shows I particularly enjoyed this year.

anaron

1. Enlightened - One of the most unique, deeply challenging and emotionally engaging stories I've ever experienced. A beautiful and brutal journey through the human condition and the hope to make it and the world just a little bit better.
2. Orange is the New Black
3. Rectify
4. Breaking Bad
5. Orphan Black
6. Hannibal
7. Bunheads
8. The Good Wife
9. Mad Men
10. Happy Endings

Runner-ups/Honourable Mentions: Brooklyn 99, Getting On, Awkward, American Horror Story: Coven, Reign, The Carrie Diaries, Game of Thrones, Arrow, (S2) Scandal

scarlet

1. Suits
2. Luther
3. Orange is the new black
4. House of cards
5. Orphan black
6. Brooklyn 99
7. Psych
8. Parks & Rec
9. Modern Family
10. The Americans

EulaCapra

Too many to rank so half my list consists of shows who are have been murdered too soon or went with a swan song.

1. Happy Endings
2. 30 Rock
3. American Horror Story: Asylum/Coven (count as one?)
4. Orphan Black
5. Game of Thrones
6. Parks and Recreation
7. Scandal
8. Homeland
9. Southland
10. Nikita

1. Bob's Burgers - The best family show since The Simpsons in its prime.
2. Archer - The most consistently funny show on tv.
3. Mad Men - Probably the best show ever when it's all said and done.
4. Breaking Bad - Probably the fifth best show ever.
5. Game of Thrones - That red wedding.
6. Orange is the New Black - It took about 6 episodes to really click and figure out the characters, then nailed it from there.
7. Derek - Way better than you think. One of the most heartfelt shows I can remember seeing.
8. Eastbound and Down -
KP1-Copy_zpsfb96ee7e.jpg

9. Sons of Anarchy - The best man soap opera since 24.
10. Hello Ladies - A cringe comedy that still managed to keep me watching.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
3. American Horror Story: Asylum/Coven (count as one?)

mmmmm no. I mean, Asylum was already voted for in last year year's thread, so only Coven is eligible this year.

Network shows are different because it's the same show from season to season, but American Horror Story is a completely new thing every year, so it makes sense to count each season as a different show.

1. The Walking Dead
2. Breaking Bad
3. American Horror Story: Coven
4. The Americans
5. Game of Thrones
6. Hannibal
7. Rectify
8. Orange Is The New Black
9. Vikings
10. Bates Motel

I have to mention Banshee, House of Cards and Spartacus also

Abounder

Banned
Not sure if they all count but here we go:

1. Boardwalk Empire - At times uneven with its pacing, it still delivered some of the greatest scenes of the year. Everything from the supporting cast to costume design is as great as it gets on TV
  2. Breaking Bad - Basically tied for no.1 but I wanted to give Boardwalk Empire more points. The acting, writing, cinematography, and just the experience of following the show makes it one of the greatest shows of all time
  3. Vikings - Minute per minute I thought this show was more entertaining than Game of Thrones. I like the combination of realistic and fantasy elements
  4. Top Gear - This show keeps delivering the smiles for me even though it can be ambitious yet rubbish. Even the USA version delivers entertainment
  5. House of Cards - Kevin Spacey's performance is hypnotizing even when the writing falls short
  6. Hannibal - Just one hell of a fun ride
  7. Game of Thrones - Great stuff although it feels like there's a lot of filler
  8. Orange is the New Black - Doesn't get much more entertaining than this
  9. Eastbound and Down - Danny McBride is the funniest character of 2013
  10. Clear History - Sure it's not as great as having another season of Larry David's CYE but it was fun enough for me

EDIT: Spartacus...hmmm that might have to fit in the above somewhere

Thanks for the thread, Ratsky. I'll do some minor shuffling on my list and post it soon. I think I'm currently at 12 shows in my top 10...

Sadsic

1.) Rectify S1 - This is the most haunting show I've ever seen. Holy shit every episode was A+ amazing! Can't wait for season 2 next year.

2.) Enlightened S2 - This was an amazing series, and season 2 had literally like 5 completely perfect episodes of television, with some characters I've never seen any commitment to exploring in any medium of fiction before; farewell Enlightened! Season 3 could've been cool!

3.) Breaking Bad S5 Part 2 - While the actual final episode was a little underwhelming as a cap to the entire series, the season in general was pretty outstanding. Ozymandias is one of the best episodes of television ever.

4.) Hannibal S1 - This was a fantastic start to what could be the greatest primetime show for the next few years. The plight at the end of the season really messed with my head, in a good way.

5.) Mad Men S6 - This was definitely a step up from season 5, and really brought a lot of interesting storylines into the fold. It also brought new, interesting characters this late into the show, which something that should be commended, as it could have easily whittled away at its existing characters until the end of the 60's.

6.) Nathan for You S1 - This one really flew under the radar for a lot of people, but it's probably the funniest show I've seen in a looooooong time. Easily the best live action Comedy Central show I've ever seen, it reminds me basically of a show that consisted only of the live pranks from The Eric Andre Show taken to their inevitable ends of extreme hilarious nonsense. Glad this one squeaked by with a season 2!

7.) Top of the Lake Mini-Series - This was a mini-series but I'll put it on here anyways because it was good enough. A very interesting combination of like Twin Peaks and Silence of the Lambs in New Zealand, in the best way possible (to put that in the highest concept possible!).

8.) Orange is the New Black S1 - Some of the characters in this show really rubbed me the wrong way, but it's really a very fascinating show about all the anthropological difference that make up society, and how they fit together, and on top of that has a pretty great cache of supporting characters that fill even the worst moments in the show to a comfortable, cozy enjoyability.

9.) The Americans S1 - I wasn't too amazed by this show like others were, but there were definitely good character moments and a compelling enough story arc to keep me coming back for more.

10.) American Dad S9-S10 - Even 10 production seasons in, this show is still kicking. There were some wonderfully experimental episodes this year, like the August: Osage County parody episode, the independent movie parody, and the Jeff-centric space opera episode. Honestly this might be one of the most consistent shows of all time at this point!

Runners Up:

11-15 ish

Bob's Burgers S3-S4
The Eric Andre Show S2
Orphan Black S1
Justified S4
China, IL S2

16-20 ish

The Venture Bros. S5
Game of Thrones S3
Archer S4
Banshee S1
House of Cards S1

Shit I haven't finished/started (but probably will at some point) so they aren't in my rankings:

The Bridge S1
Boardwalk Empire S4
Girls S2
Broadchurch at all
Borgen at all
The Walking Dead at all
The Good Wife at all
Southland at all

boingball

I usually wait for the DVD/BluRay release to watch a show, so I am usually a couple of months behind on most shows (haven't seen Boardwalk Empire, Justified, GoT or Scandal and a couple of others yet (or better only the previous season)).

1. Breaking Bad ; High expectation for the final season and they weren't disappointed (in a way I am disappointed by the final episode, since it did not surpass my extremely high expectations). Is there any doubt that this will win?
2. Luther ; Great showcase for Idris Elba. And the setting in England is a welcome change from the usual US setting
3. House of Cards ; I like Kevin Spacey and the premise of the show is also great. Hopefully it stays at that level (or gets even better)
4. Mad Men ; A lot of people put it up with BB, Wire and Sopranos. While it is an extremely good show something is missing to put it up there for me.
5. The Americans ; I have high hopes for this show. Telling a story from the perspective of Soviet spies is a great idea, forcing the viewer to question their usual black&white thinking.
6. Fringe ; Think this could have been higher if they brought back Leonard Nimoy for some episodes.
7. Elementary ; The British Holmes series is better (haven't watched season 3 yet though), but this is fun entertainment as well. Hopefully they can improve on it.
8. Warehouse 13 ; A little bit silly at times, but always fun.
9. Dexter ; Seems like I am one the few who likes the later seasons. I found the end better than Lost (which obviously also has plenty of haters)
10. The Borgias ; Jeremy Irons makes for nice evil pope.

I liked Copper and Ripper Street and Magic City and Boss as well. Pity they have been cancelled.

Best Use of Music in a TV Series: The Americans, opening shot, Fleetwood Mac's Tusk.

This. They had me hooked to the show basically with this. Best use since Phil Collins In the Air Tonight in the Miami Vice pilot.

Bowler

1. Breaking Bad - the entire gambit is top tier

2. Homeland - Claire Danes is simply the best actress on television right now

3. Justified - Following Claire is Timothy Olyphant as best actor, with Walter Goggins as the best supporting actor.

4. Walking dead Just cuz I love it.

5. game of thrones - set pieces, lore, top tier

6. Sons of anarchy - man drama at its best

7. Person of intrest - best new story plot

8. Orange is the new black - it's the jack of all trades master of none. Doesn't quite do the best, it's just good at everything

9. Mad Men - like orange, it's good across all fields.

10. Longmire - while it's episodic content sometimes gets in its way, it's a breath of fresh air, in its set pieces and acting.

DominoKid

1. Breaking Bad - farewell to the GOAT
2. Game of Thrones
3. Arrow
4. Orphan Black - surprisingly good.
5. Mad Men
6. House of Cards
7. The Americans
8. Brooklyn Nine-Nine - surprisingly good
9. Hannibal - very unsettling show. best looking show on TV as well.
10. Sleepy Hollow

Honorable Mentions
Graceland - great summer show
Nikita
Suits
Sons of Anarchy - so much fuckery this season.
Psych
Chicago Fire
Scandal - currently falling off but the back half of S2 was great
American Horror Story

Bates Motel got boring to me after a few eps
I never got around to seeing past episode 3 of Ray Donovan but I liked what I saw.
Stopped on Orange/Black around 5 or 6 but that was pretty good too.

1) Breaking Bad - best show on TV. Best cinematography. Best acting. Best writing.
2) Orange is the New Black - awesome show from Weeds creator.
3) Banshee - arguably most violent and explicit show on TV with very good cast and atmosphere.
4) Californication - fuck the haters, season 6 was awesome. There were Maggy Grace, Tim Minchin, classic rock songs and finally there were sex, drugs and rock-n-roll.
5) Brooklyn Nine-Nine - best new comedy in years. Very funny.
6) Rectify - very solid drama, waiting for season 2.
7) Franklin & Bash - my summer wouldn't be complete without this light and funny show.
8) Shameless (US) - it gets darker and funnier every year. Very underrated show.

daffy

Banned
1. Breaking Bad
2. Rectify
3. House of Cards
4. Orange is the New Black
5. Game of Thrones
6. Mad Men
7. The Americans
8. Orphan Black
9. Bunheads
10. The Walking Dead

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
So this is stuff that aired in America in 2013 only, right?

Hm? It says in the OP that "Any new TV series and any season of an existing series that aired in 2013 is eligible. " There's nothing America specific about this, really.

Except, for instance, say if Modern Family season 2 just aired this year in Antarctica, it wouldn't be eligible because that season aired years ago in the US. Only the season(s) that aired brand new episodes in the US in 2013 would be eligible.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'll do my list later on, but in the mean time let's do some awards categories. I'd love alternate award winners for any of these categories.

Best Revival of a Previously Cancelled Show: Whose Line is it Anyway? Although the CW brand-aware down-aging and cameos from forgettable hunks and stars of the week gets in the way of the show, and Aisha Tyler doesn't participate quite as much as Drew Carey did, the cast and games do a good job of making this feel like a worthy continuation of the original US series.

Fastest Time from Pilot Start to Turning Off: Eli Roth's Hemlock Grove, ~7 minutes. Turd.

The Walking Dead Award for a TV Series that you would expect to be popular but HOLY SHIT it's that Popular!?: Duck Dynasty. I was just out Christmas shopping and half the Hallmark store is Duck Dynasty cards. And there was a gaggle of people standard around them. I think some of them had audio. I see Duck Dynasty T-shirts everywhere. What the hell is going on?! I know the show has been on for a while but it broke out in a big way this year.

Worst Spinoff I didn't even know was a Spinoff: Primeval: New World. Sexy Time Traveling Dot Com Billionaire Dinosaur Hunters in Space Vancouver! All the worst of Canadian television.

Blandest USA Pilot: All of Them. Graceland! I remember good looking people who I think were cops or customs agents or FBI or lawyers or doctors or something getting into mildly tense situations. Yep, it's a USA show!

Worst Show I'm Still Watching: For the second year in a row, The Newsroom. I don't particularly think the second season was an improvement. The show is absolutely positively not operating in reality. The performances are almost roundly poor and mostly consist of good actors screaming. The central plot of the year was heavily mis-placed. Alison Pill's character continues to be the worst on television. They went for more romance instead of less. The tender moments beat you over the fucking head with a bag of feelings. ... and yet I await season 3.

Import of the Year: I haven't watched Borgen yet so I'm going to give it to The Returned. I'm still a few episodes behind and I understand that the show's plot conclusion has not been well received although I've avoided reading exactly what goes wrong. Watching in French, I think the performances are quite good, especially Yara Pilartz as Camille, who ages very rapidly in the course of the series and plays the Lolita "old soul" manipulator role exceedingly well. Also I can't help but wonder if the show was designed for international syndication, because the dialogue is very short and plain and the actors typically speak slowly. The very sparse soundtrack provided by Mogwai is a great mood setter. The show feels like it's filmed in a sort of Vancouver-Washington type forested area, and it's the perfect place to set a mystery show like this.

Best Long-Take in a TV Show: 19-2's 15 minute school shooting long take has gotta take the crown here. There's a real trick to doing long takes, and that's that everything directly outside the camera's cone of vision is scrambling to be read for turns, getting extras in position, reading cues. Action scenes have to be designed so that any action that happens is 100% repeatable. Every glance counts, and no one can mess up. It's always an achievement when a film does a long take, whether it's a 10 minute winding city sequence in Before Sunset, a 10-ish minute choreographed fight scene in Hanna, or an entire film shot in one take like Russian Ark. But doing a lingering shot in TV is unusual because of production constraints and also because of act lengths--TV audiences are trained not to focus on long uninterrupted sequences of any kind. So to see this get pulled off, even with some of the obvious puppet-strings, is really impressive.

The CJ's Dad/Picard's Flute/Blink award for best TV episode that takes place in a different area with mostly different characters: Enlightened - Higher Power. I actually like Luke Wilson in general and I thought his character in this show was not explored as well as it could have been. But this episode I think captured the essence of his character, provided beautiful scenery, expanded the show's universe, and also did a fairly good job of capturing what I imagine the struggles and temptations of addiction are. Also, and I know this is kind of weird, but meeting new characters at the rehab center gave me that "summer camp" feeling of sort of fast friends fast forgotten. (Runner Up: House of Cards - Episode 8 - Frank goes to his alma mater)

Most Screwed TV Network: NBC, duh.

Most Original Variety Program: @Midnight. I don't think @Midnight is amazing or hilarious and I don't think the format quite works yet. Several segments are clearly not live and the comedians pre-write material. That being said, the idea of a show that focuses on the kind of ephemeral tech-age internet pop culture is a really good one, and Hardwick is clearly the right person to host it.

Humanitas Prize: Orange is the New Black - Lesbian Request Denied. I wrote more about the episode here. The entire show I think conducts itself with dignity and compassion.

Best Use of Music in a TV Series: The Americans, opening shot, Fleetwood Mac's Tusk. Tusk is a sort of bizarre song to begin with. The weird muttering vocals, voices popping in from random places, the odd tribal percussion, the big band swells, the western twang on the guitar, the extended introduction before the bass kicks in, the weird part with everything goes out mid-lyric and the drums go crazy for a few seconds. The tuba or bassoon or whatever it is that's barely audible. It's always been a song that's fascinated me, I remember the first time I heard it. It's a killer track. And these characteristics for the extended, almost agonizingly long introduction sequence to the Americans. The intro itself really exemplifies the almost animalistic qualities of the song. I ... haven't finished the full season of the show yet, but talk about hooking the audience from the first second with a sexy, interesting open.

The Skrillex Award for Tone Problems in a TV Show: Save Me. Great concept, some good actors, but I never felt like it had a clue what it was going for. It's too sharp to be a sort of mass-audience laffer, it's not soapy enough to have that kind of intriguing hook, they dispense with the husband-wife plot far too quickly, it's not spiritual enough to be religious, it doesn't delve into the mechanisms of what's going on enough to be sci-fi or fantasy. I'm really really surprised that they didn't reshoot or retool after the pilot.

lednerg

I don't watch a whole lot of television

1. Children's Hospital - solid season, hilarious as ever, probably will get the Emmy again
  2. Luther - very satisfying conclusion to an excellent procedural
  3. Eagleheart - the most twisted comedy on cable, upping the ante yet again
  4. The Daily Show - John Oliver nailed it as guest host
  5. Comedy Bang Bang - mostly great season with a couple bad eps

1. Breaking Bad - GOAT
2. Eastbound & Down - Far exceded my expectations into one of the best endings to a comedy i've ever seen
3. Arrested Development - Haters gonna hate, Despite a few lackluster episode, the writing and execution for this unique format was exceptional.
4. Nathan For You - Best new comedy of the year. Nathan's deadpan is unparalleled. Everyone go watch this show. Heres a skit: http://youtu.be/NO8V72pDw1o Heres a random clip from a special episode: http://youtu.be/WNQ6_1GCVVA
5. Game of Thrones - Best Season yet with all the crazy ass moments.
6. Parks & Recreation - Such lovable and many funnies
7. House of Cards - Lost in Spacey
8. Masters of Sex - Because Sex (and Smarts)
9. Vikings - Unrelenting and violently entertaining
10. The Office - Before you lynch me, hear me out. Yeah yeah, the last handful of season have been practically terrible, but since the show is finally gone I will use this last point (since I wasn't on gaf before) for the first four seasons of one of my favorite TV comedies of all time.

Reality Show of the Year:
Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown - Bourdain is always entertaining

Honorable Mention:
Rick & Morty - Only two episodes in so far but this show has been wildly entertaining.
Veep - Outlandish at times but still hilarious
Walking Dead - This season has been great, but still very inconsistent
Suburgatory - Guilty pleasure. Just can't stop staring at the smart hot redhead.
Hello Ladies - Most cringworthy show i've possibly ever seen. So much cringe it actually hurt many people in the OT.
South Park - Gotta give the shoutout for the GoT/Console War/Stick of Truth episodes.
Modern Family - MILFs and laughs what more can ya want.

Dishonorable Mention:
Dexter - Why...just why

Its been one of the best years in TV imo. Golden Age tier. So many good shows ended this year. :(
And Yet, there are so many shows i've yet to watch on here. Hopefully the best of the best rise to the top because last time I found the beauty of Sherlock in the previous thread.

1. Scandal
2. The Americans
3. Sherlock
4. Archer; Still the best animated Comedy.
6. The Neighbors; Most Improved Comedy for me. Unfortunately too late.
7.Sons of Anarchy; It still grips me.
8. Brooklyn 9-9
9. Shameless (US)
10. The Newsroom; Still enjoy the show; Don't know why.
NOTE: I haven't really watched Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones so I'm just going by what I've seen.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
1. Rectify ; Absolutely fantastic, beautiful, and smart. Best new show, so well acted and shot.
2. Breaking Bad ; Extremely satisfying conclusion to one of my favourite series ever.

3. Orange is the New Black ; Probably my favourite supporting cast this year
4. Justified ; Always a pleasure to watch, continued with a compelling mystery, and featured one of the series best episodes. Still the best dialogue on TV.
5. Mad Men ; Some Don growth finally, hopefully it continues into the next season.
6. Eastbound and Down ; "Holy Shit" Probably uttered by myself during this show more than any this year, fantastic finale
7. Parks and Recreation ; Wonderful characters who, while not changing much, are still charming, and the show always makes me feel great
8. Game of Thrones ; Some gut punching scenes, along with some of the most badass on TV
9. Boardwalk Empire ; Beautiful show, more focus on the seconday characters was welcomed, although one character kind of disappointed
10. Veep ; Not as strong as the first season, but still a hilarious show

Rectify gets the top spot because not only is it great, but it needs more exposure.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hm? It says in the OP that "Any new TV series and any season of an existing series that aired in 2013 is eligible. " There's nothing America specific about this, really.

Except, for instance, say if Modern Family season 2 just aired this year in Antarctica, it wouldn't be eligible because that season aired years ago in the US. Only the season(s) that aired brand new episodes in the US in 2013 would be eligible.

Sorry, I mean, I'm not going to put jdrama on the list, and it probably won't matter because I'm probably one of the only people who would consider putting UK or Australian shows on any list like this (although the paid critics seem to have noticed Broadchurch at least!), but I was wondering if nominated shows had to have to been produced and made by Americans.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sorry, I mean, I'm not going to put jdrama on the list, and it probably won't matter because I'm probably one of the only people who would consider putting UK or Australian shows on any list like this (although the paid critics seem to have noticed Broadchurch at least!), but I was wondering if nominated shows had to have to been produced and made by Americans.

Of course not! :p British, Australian, Japanese, etc. etc. shows are all welcome.

xbhaskarx

1. Breaking Bad
2. Enlightened

3. Mad Men
4. Veep
5. Game of Thrones
6. Eastbound and Down
7. 30 Rock
8. The Americans
9. Hello Ladies
10. Parks and Recreation

Best episode: Ozymandias (Breaking Bad)

Worst show that everyone inexplicably watches: The Walking Dead

Biggest disappointment: Arrested Development, Girls S2

The "I don't get it" award: Orange is the New Black

Apparently I Need to Watch: Rectify, The Returned

1. Breaking Bad ; Possibly the greatest show of all-time ends with a terrific final season. The writing and acting were top-notch.

2. Justified ; The most underrated show on television. No one does a better job of blending comedy and drama. The casting, writing and acting were superb.

3. Game of Thrones ; Epic series. Delivered one of the most shocking moments in TV history again. At least it was to those like me who haven't read the series yet.

4. Luther ; Idris Elba is right up there with best leading men in television. The show's latest season was spectacular.

5. Psych; It's rare to see a show that airs this long stay so good. This past season was arguably their finest yet. I love the entire cast and James Roday and Dule Hill are tremendous together.

6. Boardwalk Empire ; Incredibly deep cast. This year I felt the story really lived up to the talents of the cast, and was the best one yet.

7. Veep; One of my favorite comedies. I think the entire cast does a terrific job.

8. The Walking Dead; Up and down as usual, but I thought the first half of this season was their best half yet.

9. Raising Hope; Pretty much the same reasons as Veep.

10. Brooklyn Nine-Nine; By far the strongest new comedy of the year. And all the same reasons as Raising Hope and Veep.

Honorable Mentions: Fringe, Family Tree (loved this show), Wilfred, The Killing (Huge bounce back season), Archer, The Americans, Sons of Anarchy, The Bridge, Arrow, Back in the Game, South Park, and a bunch more I probably forgot.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I assume since we're counting British shows we're also allowing other foreign stuff?

1. Breaking Bad - Consistently awesome

2. Luther - Excellent conclusion

3. Attack on Titan - One of the most violent shows I've watched. Very anime-y characters, but the animation is impressive

4. Hannibal - Beautifully odd

5. Les Revenants - Eerie and Twin Peaks-esque in setting. The French are on to something here.

6. Game of Thrones - Juggernaut

7. Masters of Sex - Started slow, but the acting is top notch and engaging

8. Orange is the New Black - Fun show

9. House of Cards - Great first season. Has one of the most cringe-worthy moments I've watched on TV.

10. Orphan Black - Whoops, switching this with Justified. Tatiana Maslany, nuff said!

prefaces

1. eastbound & down
2. veep
3. boardwalk empire
4. breaking bad
5. justified
6. family tree
7. bunheads
8. game of thrones
9. hannibal
10. bob's burgers

Status