• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quick-time events. What were the best (and worst) uses this generation?

rezuth

I think Bayonetta had some of the worst given that there was no warning before and you only had a split second to react.

Deimo5

Maybe because it was recent, but I thought the Uncharted: Golden Abyss final boss fights were bad.
They go through the trouble of making this dramatic fight and I can't even appreciate that because I'm sitting there flicking giant arrows appearing on the screen over and over.

Myriadis

Final Fantasy XIII-2 sometimes has a bunch of QTEs at the end of some boss fights that, if you fail one, just give you an alternative cutscene and it simply continues. Otherwise, you'll get a cutscene with some flashy moves and if you sucessfully did all QTEs right, you'll get an item at the end of the fight. I personally consider it one of the better uses of QTEs.

Assassins Creed 2 does the same as above. Failing to press a button just alters the cutscene, like it should be.

Hypron

If you consider the contextual actions in Resident Evil 5 (and by extension Resident Evil 4) QTEs, then those are the best. You have to trigger them yourselves. You can choose not to do them if you want.

For the same reasons, the QTEs in MGR:R are good as well. Even the QTEs that you need to do at the end of bossfights use the same input as the finishers you use during normal fights, so it's really hard to miss them.

Otherwise, I think Asura's Wrath (and especially its DLC) has the best visual representation of QTEs.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
After just finishing Castlevania Lords of Shadow (and almost-finishing its DLC), I have to say:

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

I hear they're ditching them or making them optional for the sequel. Thank Satan.

Sojgat

Space Marine. Game was full of great combat, then the best they could come up with for
the final boss
was a bunch of lame QTEs.

Probably the worst use of QTEs I've ever seen.

For the second gen running, I'd gladly give worst QTEs to Resident Evil 4.

Running from a boulder? Mash A/X about a hundred times before the game gives you half a second to hit Y+B/Triangle+Circle at the end of it to jump. Fail that? Repeat only to find that it hits you with a different combo of buttons at the end next time! Garbage.

Best? That's... not an easy one. Heavy Rain used them well I though, but even it had it's bad moments... like Sixaxis QTE tilt?!?!??! Hwhaaaa?

Asura's Wrath was good though, and it was mostly QTEs, so it was probably the best one, whatever that's worth.

Wonderful 101 does it pretty good. You get a lot of visual cues that allow you to get ready for them. You get a mix of QTEs both mid-battle and during cutscenes pretty much constantly, so you aren't blind sided by their appearances. Since the type of button-presses and gestures are directly related to specific actions in the game, you'll have a solid idea of what they'll be for (just dialed to 11 in cutscenes). I never felt like they were out of place and they improved action.

Grayman

I was going to say they were universally terrible but I think I got some enjoyment out of smashing mooks into the rose bushes in mad world and some of its other special motions.

The worst is the same as the previous 2 generations, metal gears mashing bullshit.

tensuke

No one's mentioned Tomb Raider yet? They were awful. I was stuck on the boulder in the very beginning forever, and sometimes you had to hit 'e' and then 'f' or something like that. I loved the game but its QTEs were unbearable.

Serra

Space Marine and Tomb Raider are the first that pop to mind.
Syndicate, having to mash your way through virtually every door was bullshit.

I love Bayonetta but most of those QTEs were bullshit. The only ones I didn't mind were the score multiplier ones (GIGATONS!)

Hypron

For the second gen running, I'd gladly give worst QTEs to Resident Evil 4.

Running from a boulder? Mash A/X about a hundred times before the game gives you half a second to hit Y+B/Triangle+Circle at the end of it to jump. Fail that? Repeat only to find that it hits you with a different combo of buttons at the end next time! Garbage.

There are only 2 combinations possible for the dodges though, x+a (on an xbox controller, so the left and bottom buttons on the other ones) or both triggers at the same time. It's not really hard to get it right.

I love Bayonetta but most of those QTEs were bullshit. The only ones I didn't mind were the score multiplier ones (GIGATONS!)

Haha yeah. I loved it when the multiplier went into
infinitons during the final bossfight

A much shit as it received, God of War: Ascension had the best use of it. Most of the buttons/actions actually corresponded to his normal moves and went with what was going on.

Does 101's drawings count? If so, then it gets a vote to. Plus, that end game...

Gorillaz

Don't know if it counts but a certain FPS last gen ended its campaign with a "hit circle to commit global genocide" statement

It was a "can't believe this is really how it ended" bad.

Sojgat

Do people consider the chase/platforming sequences in DmC to be QTEs?

If so, that was the best use this gen.

Harlequin

Best would have to be Heavy Rain simply because the game was built and designed from the ground up around them and it really makes for a great experience. In most other games QTEs just pull you out of the experience and make the whole thing seem more gamey. Worst? Hm... I'm not sure. Did AC3 have QTEs? Because that game was so badly designed that - if it does have them - its QTEs will probably have been pretty awful, as well LOL. Can't remember if it does, though.

EDIT: I also really liked Heavenly Sword's simply because the moves/animations in them were so great.

The use of QTE's in Tomb Raider, so far, hasn't really impressed me. They're pretty easy to fail at the start of the game, when you're still expecting them to be different buttons, and then you realize you just need to press the Y button every-single-time.

Techies

The only game I've played to have used QTE's right was Fahrenheit...

The thing is the buttons pressed kinda corresponded with the action onscreen. For instance duck would of required you to press both down buttons, jump both up buttons, a slide would been hold both down buttons, followed by a quick tap of both up buttons to stand up.

The fact that U had to use both hands might of also had something to do with that feeling that your actually in control, kinda.

A much shit as it received, God of War: Ascension had the best use of it. Most of the buttons/actions actually corresponded to his normal moves and went with what was going on.

Along the same lines, Puppeteer's were very fair - you always just pressed the same button that you would do in=game, so the QTEs just let the game show off the graphics more. Maybe they were a bit too easy to be the 'best', but they were well implemented.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
After fucking it up in Bayonetta (little to no cue they are coming, death if you fail), Kamiya got it so right in TW101 which contains the best QTE ever but you need to play it to know so.

ffdgh

Wonderful 101's final QTE was.....wonderful lol.

The weirdest/most random one from recent memory was that parachute QTE from RE 6 since it sorta came out of nowhere.

Playing through Vanquish right now and the QTEs on bosses are just finishing moves . You dont even have to succeed..

It is just a stylish bonus.

Raysoul

Wonderful 101 because of the Unite Morph QTEs and the final QTE. It also gives you special cutscenes when failing most QTEs.

The best if Castlevania Lords of Shadow, seriously it is just 2 circles, coming together, and you are free to click whatever button you want once the first circle is inside the 2nd one, that's it, then God of War 3.

Worst, I'd say Resident Evil 5.

NeoGash

The halo 4 ending was the worst use of it ever imo.

Agreed, it was just so damn lazy and a complete fail fail fail x100 fail farking fail-fail.

I think The Wolf Among Us, Heavy Rain and Uncharted 2&3 (not the first) handled them pretty well, mostly the 3rd game.

Saiyu

God of War Ascension. If I remember right some sequences during fights didn't even give a button prompt, though I don't know if those count as QTEs

Kei-

Not the best, but really cool;

I like the counterknife in Battlefied 4. The timing is ridiculously easy (playing fighting games helps a bit too I'm sure) as long as you don't panic, and I always love it when someone goes for a knife from the front, it's a free kill. It's not intrusive and I initially didn't like it, but then I thought; "You get a free kill from the back with a knife because you sneaked up on the enemy and it's your reward." But if you go for a knife from the front, it's probably 'cause you're losing the firefight, you panicked, or maybe you're running out of ammo.

In any case, I agree with it not rewarding someone for pressing the melee button as soon as they are in front of someone for a free one button, no effort kill.

For best, I'd have to go with God of War 3, the whole game is essentially a series of mini boss fights, and boss fights. The finishing sequences all feel very rewarding and satisfying thanks to the QTE.

TLDR: BF4 counterknife is really neat, God of War 3 feels the best. Honourable mention, Bayonetta.

popyea

The Wonderful 101 - The final one is just really brilliant and had me mashing that button like crazy with a huge grin on my face.

Bayonetta - People complain about these due to some dodgy implementation, but the actual concepts were pretty creative and with satisfying animation. I really love the bullet guiding one used to finish off Father Balder.

Top Bottom