• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros. 4 3DS/Wii U has major metagame changes regarding edge grabbing

Fiktion

Banned
XBEMoll.png

I'm not a competitive player so I can't offer an opinion on this myself, but the folks on Smashboards seem pretty happy about it.

I don't think this means NO more edgehogging, but I *do* think it means more refined edgeplay. Think of it this way:

In Melee, edgehogging was trivial. You were considered "on the edge" for so long, even after rolling or jumping up, that really the timing to edgehog wasn't that strict; it was less strict than a wavedash or L-cancel, that's for sure. So, really, once you got down reverse wavedashing off the edge of a stage, you knew how to edgehog; all you needed to do then was make sure a recovery straight to the stage wasn't an option (or was the only option, which you would then punish).

In Brawl, we had the opposite problem: edgehogging was, on the whole, very difficult. With the variable concerning ledge occupancy being updated more quickly, it was much harder to hog without being punished for it. Yes, invincibility was longer, but many recoveries could also stall out on the ledge and beat out that invincibility, especially if the hog wasn't timed just right. In addition, there was little counterplay on the ledge, especially in the case of tethers; that's why they're all so low tier, because it was impossible for a tether to recover once someone was already on the ledge. Add in the fact that it was easier to recover to the stage and harder to punish it from the edge, and you have a much less complex edge game. In Brawl, people spent a lot of time on the edge, but it was mainly to stall or camp.

This, however, changes all of that. The variable invincibility timer allows ledge play to be carefully balanced around recovery, and not low-percent gimps. In addition, the occupancy variable is no longer an issue like it was in previous games: now, the operative variable in recovery attempts is the ledge occupant's invincibility timer, which is MUCH more intuitive and makes much more sense. Edgehogs have to be carefully timed, but also, there's no one-size-fits-all approach to hogging anymore, since your own percentage will determine the timing you have to use to hog: do it too early, and the ledge is taken from you. This also fixes ALL the problems with tethers: if anything, it's a MASSIVE buff, since it may no longer be viable to reliably hog them at all. There's real counterplay on the ledge now.

I absolutely can't wait to see how this all plays out.

Sakurai thoroughly addresses the problem of planking. It looks like stealing a ledge from someone at the last moment actively rejects them with an animation (so if you jump out to disrupt planking, you're going to be given a punish opportunity for hitting the ledge first that leaves them precariously off-stage whereas given the nature of it you probably end up back on-stage if you fail). If they hang out on the ledge, they get less invincibility. Finally, the last change is a little mysterious; I don't know if he means that they removed the difference between over 100% ledge actions (which generally were a huge disadvantage) or if they mean you can hold onto the ledge without being forced to let go the same amount at all damages (I'm not sure, but I think you were forced to drop faster at high damage, but it was such a long time always that it was competitively irrelevant). Regardless, I'm very impressed by this solution; Sakurai is taking a bad game aspect, fixing it, and doing so in a carefuly way that doesn't compromise the good parts of core gameplay.

This is by far the best update we've gotten so far either way, and it definitely trumps even a newcomer. This addressed one of the largest core issues that hurt Brawl at a competitive level and to be honest was a bit of a problme in Melee too (see: Sheik). I had been wondering what actions Sakurai would take to address this issue, and I'm pleased with the answer. Even more, seeing this issue tackled so directly gives me hope that the other corner abuses that transform smash bros into a nightmare (like the long chaingrabs) will have similar throughtful fixes applied.

Anura

Wow neat! This might be a nice balance between Melee's super unsafe ledges and brawls ledges being game breaking levels of safe!

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
This is an awesome change, I believe. My say in the matter on SmashBoards;

I'm guessing the longer you're in the air, the longer your invincibility. Dropping from the stage to the edge will not net you much invincibility at all. This is a pretty big help to those with tether recoveries or those who get edge-hogged a lot (Link/Olimar comes to mind), and I wonder if you'll still have the option to "win" the ledge if you're left in helpless.

This also possibly means that the issues of planking / ledge stalling are being addressed.

Ledge stalling is a big issue in competitive Brawl. If you're fast enough, you can let go, send out an aerial attack (or two) and re-grab the ledge all while still invincible. This is done a lot in tournaments, especially by Meta Knight.

Exuro

Was this an issue in normal play or is Sakurai addressing competitive issues? Is he taking input from pro players or just making these changes by himself?

FluxWaveZ

Was this an issue in normal play or is Sakurai addressing competitive issues? Is he taking input from pro players or just making these changes by himself?

I really can't envision a scenario where Sakurai's winging it and came up with this on his own. This is most likely a change that will mainly affect competitive players and, even though he's probably not taking input directly from pro players, the dev team as a whole must be aware of some issues that were present in competitive play.

Fiktion

Banned

It would appear to be a change aimed at competitive play, because casuals like me have no idea what the fuck he's talking about while the tryhards seem pretty chuffed.

If I had to guess, I'd say Namco had a hand in this.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
This is really big guys but I dont think we can tell what it actually does until we either see video of it or do it ourselves in the game.

kirblar

This is totally a competitive play thing - it's barely noticable in casual play. Edge-guarding was this weird part of the game that slowed down matches.

Exuro

I really can't envision a scenario where Sakurai's winging it and came up with this on his own. This is most likely a change that will mainly affect competitive players and, even though he's probably not taking input directly from pro players, the dev team as a whole must be aware of some issues that were present in competitive play.

It would appear to be a change aimed at competitive play, because casuals like me have no idea what the fuck he's talking about while the tryhards seem pretty chuffed.

If I had to guess, I'd say Namco had a hand in this.

This is totally a competitive play thing - it's barely noticable in casual play. Edge-guarding was this weird part of the game that slowed down matches.
Very cool. I always had the assumption that Sakurai didnt care about the competitive scene.

sackferret

Neo Member
This is awesome news! Hopefully this means the game will be more competitive, like Melee, rather than Brawl's more slow gameplay.

Makai

You have no idea about how its going to be implemented either.
It says right in the description. Edgehogging exists but its window of usefulness is dependent on other factors.

Based on the E3 footage, characters die faster than ever in Smash 4, so I think this is going to be fine even in the worst scenario.

Thoraxes

Oh wow.

Holy shit, something really interesting. This just upped the fuck out of the edge/comeback drama the game emphasizes so much.

Fucking love how it will change the approach of a major part of the game. Good shit Sakurai, and this will be great to see how it plays out.

Wow. This is the sort of cool technical addition that I really didn't expect to see in the Miiverse posts, and if the super-hardcore community is excited - I guess I am as well. I want this Smash to have honest competitive legs, and it's moves like this that are hugely encouraging.

Cross-posting my interpretation of Sakurai's statements from the OT:

Trumping ledge grabs: I think what GooeyHeat said is accurate. In fact, it's the only thing that makes sense in this context. Think about it, there have been only four possible situations when a recovering character interacts with a character at the edge (ignoring tether recoveries):

1) The edgehogger is invincible, and the recovering character attempts to hit them with an attack. Due to the invincibility, the edgehogger stays on the edge and the recovering character falls.

2) The edgehogger is invincible, and the recovering character falls towards the ledge without doing an attack. The edgehogger remains on and the recovering character falls.

3) The edgehogger is vulnerable, and the recovering character hits them with an attack while recovering and grabs the ledge.

4) The edgehogger is vulnerable, and the recovering character falls to the ledge without throwing out an attack. The recovering character falls.

#4 is the only one that makes sense in the context of trumping. In #1 and #2 the edgehogger invincible, and in #3 the recovering character makes it onto the ledge. #4 is the only one that can be changed. Instead of the recovering character falling past the edge, they will now instead "trump" the edgehogger.

Air time and accumulated damage will determine your period of invincibility while hanging on an edge: Once again, I agree with what GooeyHeat said.

Basically, less airtime and/or less damage would equal less invincibility frames, while more air time and more damage would equal more invincibility frames. Also, when I say "air time", I'm specifically referring to time spent in the air, and nothing else. Time spent grabbing the edge or tethering to it does not count. Furthermore, this air time counter gets reset the moment either the character touches the ground or when they grab the edge (tethering would just halt the counter, instead of resetting it).

I have no idea what kind of formula Sakurai is using to calculate the amount of time a character remains invincible when hanging on a ledge, but I think it's probable that air time would have more weight to it than damage taken. In fact, damage taken would most likely have a minuscule effect on the amount of invincibility frames until you reach death percentages (like 130%+). It needs to be like that or else people can abuse grabbing the edge for invincibility when at high percentages without needing to be in the air for a long period of time.

Furthermore, there's gonna obviously be a cap on the effect air time and damage taken have on the amount of invincibility frames. Otherwise, characters would remain invincible for far too long. This is a complete shot in the dark, but I'm going to assume that at least 6 seconds of continuous air time with damage at 250%+ will give you the maximum amount of invincibility. How much that is is anyone's guess, though.

Grab controls will no longer be affected by whether you have above or below 100% damage: In previous games, there were two different kinds of moves that you can do when on a ledge. One when you're below 100%, and one when you are above or equal to 100%. The moves available to you when you are below 100% were always fast, but they were usually weak (in the case of the ledge attack) and had little invincibility frames. The moves when you are at or above 100% are typically the complete opposite of that, in which they are slow, but do a lot of damage (again, in the case of the ledge attack) and have a decent amount of invincibility.

Since he said these moves are no longer affected by percentage (and I also don't think that Sakurai would take out any moves), I'm led to believe that the player can decide which moves they want to do. This opens a lot more possibilities to the recovering player. Most likely, a quick tap of the appropriate button will do the <100% version, while holding the button will do the >=100% version.

You have no idea about how its going to be implemented either.

someone who manages to get consistently gimped in Brawl is going to get gimped consistently in SSB4 barring another huge slowdown in game speed, because unless you're playing terrible characters like Link and Ganondorf you should make it back even if you eat 50% doing so

Metal B

This could be a really great change to the metagame. If forces the player, who launches his opponent over the edge, to be more aggressive and following over the edge to really finish him off. Just standing near the edge and wait for him to return, could be no longer an option, since the other player will properly trump him over the ledge. Since he spend more time in the air and has properly a higher percentage.

This will encourage much more risk and reward scenarios, offensive play-style and of course defuse planking. But most importantly Sakurai and his team address an problem of the competitive-community. This means, they are watching into the scene and support competitive gaming.

elektrixx

Banned
Whether this turns out good or not, I'm very happy that he gives these details. It shows that they're thinking about this on a competitive level. I'm very confident in the next Smash Bros.

Metal B

Another good idea is the disabling of the 100% threshold. Reaching the edge with a high percentage and another player guarding it, is already hard enough. Giving the player also a disadvantage to get back on the stage, is over pushing him after the hard work of recovering.

Before this change the launching player had a too big advantage, since he got four options. Do nothing and wait for the other player to return (no risk, no reward), attack the player at the edge (low risk, high reward), guard the edge (low risk, high reward) or go after him over the edge (high risk, high reward). Waiting for the player always was a save and still rewarding option, since the launched players was always in the disadvantage and only could end the edge-game, if he successfully worked his way though the three defense stands (over the edge, at the edge, returning from the edge) and was finally on the stage again (to possible get launched again and begin the punching bag cycle).

Now the the edge-game ends earlier. If the launched player is near the edge, he already successfully recovered and gets his options back. Which is in my opinion already enough hard work to accomplish. It also forced the launching player to go over the edge and take the high risk and high reward options, since the other become more unattractive (low risk, low reward).

It also speeds up the gameplay. Players no longer will simply wait at the edge and do nothing, which always was a good low risk and high reward option. And the whole punching bag cycle will get defused. By this i mean following: players gets launched, while the other player waits at the edge, he recovers, gets launched again to his disadvantages, recovers again, repeat until the launched player fails or the other player makes a big, stupid mistake.

mclem

Very cool. I always had the assumption that Sakurai didnt care about the competitive scene.

I think it's more that he doesn't prioritise the competitive side over the casual side - but this change mixes up the competitive side without notably hindering the casual side.

Alienous

And here I thought this was going to be a reskinned Brawl. Good job Sakurai and team.

I'm not being sarcastic. Balance updates are exciting. Namco bringing the goods, I assume.

Kimosabae

Banned
Don't see where all the positivity is coming from regarding this. If the average death percentage is closer to Brawl than Melee - this sucks. It's just another means of catering to new players. That in-and-of-itself isn't bad. But this decision in particular just sounds, on paper, like it will slow the pace of the gameplay down at all levels of play. Having the capacity to gimp is an awesome thing in Melee not just because it's satisfying to execute the setups - but because it keeps the pace of the gameplay high.

What needs to die in a fire is the gameplay system considering an edge hogging player "on the ledge" even while rolling away from it. I know they addressed this in Brawl a bit, but it's still prevalent enough to work as a tactic if I recall correctly.

*edit*

Also, OP doesn't know what "metagame" means.

emb

It's great that this is going to be shaken up. Even in Melee, edge invincibility is already really annoying.

KirbyKid

Don't see where all the positivity is coming from regarding this. If the average death percentage is closer to Brawl than Melee - this sucks. It's just another means of catering to new players. That in-and-of-itself isn't bad. But this decision in particular just sounds, on paper, like it will slow the pace of the gameplay down at all levels of play. Having the capacity to gimp is an awesome thing in Melee not just because it's satisfying to execute the setups - but because it keeps the pace of the gameplay high.

What needs to die in a fire is the gameplay system considering an edge hogging player "on the ledge" even while rolling away from it. I know they addressed this in Brawl a bit, but it's still prevalent enough to work as a tactic if I recall correctly.

*edit*

Also, OP doesn't know what "metagame" means.

You really don't know how to take a design concept and apply it outside of a super general "all levels of play" "catering to new players" lens huh?

It's better to ask questions about design changes instead of making poor conclusions about ledge metagame implications and evolutions.

Kimosabae

Banned
You really don't know how to take a design concept and apply it outside of a super general "all levels of play" "catering to new players" lens huh?

It's better to ask questions about design changes instead of making poor conclusions about ledge metagame implications and evolutions.

WTF are you even trying to express? What are you even criticizing? You don't even know. Nothing in that post implies absoluteness or fixity. Uh, yeah, if you're exploring any concept in this universe worth exploring - you apply some lens of generality to it in an attempt to envision its implications. Any other approach is parochial.

I know we're speaking on this with limited information, which is why my post has words like "if" and "sounds" in it. Sorry, if you need posts peppered with question marks throughout to make humility clear for you.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I didn't see this thread being posted, so I'm very happy that Sakurai updated us with a SMASH system mechanic change which is awesome thing that he had share with us.

I'm afraid of one thing that Sakurai might take a step forward but take two step backwards with this mechanic change, but I will remain optimistic until we have the games in our hand. I'm looking forward to give it a try.

I think I'm alone in thinking that ledge grabbing is the lamest / dumbest thing to ever exist in a fighting game. Watching a bunch of "skilled" players throw themselves off the edge for even the most pathetic knock offs over and over is absurd and cowardly to me lol.

Top Bottom