• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Screw it! I finally bought a Wii U

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraXzy

UPDATE: This is my current Nintendo situation, I now have:

Untitled-1.jpg

Original Post:

I just managed to snag a Wii U premium with the ZombiU bundle (with the Pro controller) for a good price brand new from eBay. I kept thinking should I? Shouldn't I? to all the recent deals/bundles that have recently been going around but I ended up deciding too late since all the good deals are now back to normal. When I saw the eBay listing I decided screw it lets just buy one. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze has been tempting me with its soundtrack and speed-run videos and there's quite a few games I've been wanting to play.

Zombi-U-bundle.jpg

The upcoming titles like Smash Bros. Mario Kart 8 etc. that sealed the deal for me. Now what I want to know is.. as a new Wii U owner what do I need?

I'm quite protective of my consoles so does the Gamepad need a case? Which screen protector is best? Should I pick up a Wiimote+? High-capacity battery?.. I've got ZombiU obviously, and I also got Windwaker HD as well as Rayman Legends. Super Mario 3D world and DKC:TF will be bought soon. What am I missing? What eShop titles are worth the time? How do I go about linking my 3DS XL if that is even a thing? Is there a GAF friend code doc?

I'm excited to finally jump back onto a Nintendo home console.. Now just gimme a Pokemon MMO!

Draconian

Did you at any point have a Wii? Wii Motion Plus is essential if you're planning on playing Wii games for sure. And you're missing Pikmin 3.

moolamb

ONE OF US!

The Wonderful 101 is also your friend.

edit: Also, Deus Ex: HR is pretty awesome on the Wii U if you haven't played it yet...

DJIzana

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Super Mario 3D World
New Super Mario Bros / Super Luigi U
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Zelda: Windwaker HD

These are all the games I currently have an I love every single one of em. :D

-Eddman-

Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 are among the best on the system.

I really enjoyed NES Remix so that's another good option from the eShop

Megatron

You will probably want a pro controller for games like donkeykong when you aren't using the off tv feature.

Regiruler

Someone brought up if you've had a wii before. This is a crucial component as the Wii had an excellent library, so we don't know if we're recommending games you already have.

phanphare

Banned
my advice would be to get DKC:TF sooner than "soon"

it is quite possibly one of the best platformers ever made, if not the best

hyperbole and proud

edit: also shovel knight is coming to Wii U so if off-TV play becomes important to you that's something to consider

Timeaisis

Must have (you already have that about covered):
- SM3DW
- Tropical Freeze
- The Wonderful 101
- Wind Waker HD

Depending on your taste in games:
- Monster Hunter 3 U
- Pikmin 3
- NSMBU
- Nintendo Land

You should also probably invest in at least one Wii Motion Plus, if you don't have one already. Pro Controller is a good invested, but isn't necessary unless you want to play couch multiplayer.

sonto340

Get NintendoLand.
Get NES Remix.

Pikmin 3 is Great. The best Pikmin
Get Sonic Lost World if you can handle good ideas implemented mediocre-decently.
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is one of the best platformers I've ever played. So you should probably get it too.
If you like playing Call of Duty split screen get Black Ops 2, Split Screen is great.
When you set up a Nintendo Network ID I'm pretty sure you can say you already have one. That's where you would put your NNID from the 3DS.

Zombi U, 3D World, Tropical Freeze, Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3 are the must haves in my opinion. Toss Need for Speed, CoD Ghosts and Rayman in that list if you haven't played them already. I loved Sonic Lost World and Game and Wario as well but some people think theyre shitty. NES Remix and Mighty Switch Force are worth snagging on the eShop as well.

The Wii U's library is actually pretty solid, I wouldn't hesitate recommending it at this point in it's life.

If you've got friends to play multiplayer with, consider picking up Game & Wario, the Pictionary clone always makes it's way out when I've got buddies over.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
First reply nailed it, but if you want more, I've been partial to:

- Monster Hunter 3U
- Mario 3D World
- Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
- Legend of Zelda Wind Waker HD
- Rayman Legends
- NES Remix
- Wii Sports U
- Nintendo Land
- Deus Ex: HR Director's Cut

There's more good stuff than just that, but I would imagine that would keep you busy for a while.

VanWinkle

If ALL you want out of your console is to play GREAT family friendly games (as well as the occasional dark game like Zombi U), Wii U is fantastic. The console is just so basic, but there are certainly some awesome Nintendo games on it. I am pretty happy with it, but that's only because it's a supplemental console for me. If it was my primary console, I'd be really disappointed.

I don't own a Wii-U myself. But if I were ti get one, it would be for the many platformers that occupy the systems library. The system is a platformer haven this generation.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Welcome to the party OP. The ZombiU bundle is a hell of a deal, so good on ya.

As to your questions...
-The gamepad does not need a case unless you are known to be rough with your controllers. I'd say it's unnecessary though.

-If you have a DS/3DS and are known to scratch up the touch screen, maybe get a screen protector. I generally just use my finger considering most of the bottom screen use is pretty minimal for the most part.

-A Wii Remote+ and nunchuk are a good idea, just in case. It's also the best way to control Pikmin 3. Maybe get another pair if you have friends over for multiplayer (Nintendoland is a good party game).

-Get a high-capacity battery if where you sit isn't close to an outlet. I generally leave my gamepad plugged in, but if that's not an option, then yes, get it.

-Pikmin 3 is an exceptional game IMO.
Wonderful 101 was my GOTY (though you need to have patience with it as it's not a game that'll click right away, but if you like that kind of spectacle action game, then get it. Note: the demo does this game no favors. Dive in and give it some time to gel with you.)
Deus Ex: HR is a great version of that game

As far as eShop games go, there are a handful of good ones like Mutant Mudds, Trine 2, Castlestorm, Toki Tori 2, etc.

-As far as linking your 3DS (which answers my earlier question, I guess), first create an NNID on your WiiU. Then log in with the same account on the 3DS on the eShop/Miiverse. Your wallet should be synced from there.

-There are no friend codes. Search users on Miiverse and send friend requests there. Mine is Shaanyboi.

Someone brought up if you've had a wii before. This is a crucial component as the Wii had an excellent library, so we don't know if we're recommending games you already have.

I was thinking the same thing after reading this quote from OP:

I'm excited to finally jump back onto a Nintendo home console..

If that assumption is right OP, don't limit yourself to Wii U only. There is a goldmine of games for you to catch up on.

Kouriozan

Don't be afraid to try the W101 demo several times, it's a good game but not everyone like it.
I finished it but not at 100% and loved my time playing this game <3

phanphare

Banned
I don't own a Wii-U myself. But if I were ti get one, it would be for the many platformers that occupy the systems library. The system is a platformer haven this generation.

I'm not gonna tell you to rush out and buy the thing but if you are a fan of platformers at some point in your lifetime you need to play DKC:TF. feel free to be creative in how you accomplish that task but it is essential if you like the genre

that is all. cheers!

BraXzy

I had a Wii the day it came out but I'm ashamed to say I ended up trading it in pretty quick, which I regretted. Skyward sword and Super Mario Galaxy 2 are two that I missed and would like to catch up on but with the backlog I have anyway I might just stick with the WiiU and wait for the next Zelda.

As for Wonderful 101, does it have a demo on the eShop? Whilst it does look really cool I'm not sure it would be for me but I haven't had a proper look at it.

Kadin

OP, just a word of advice - Don't push off ZombiU. You might be tempted to start buying up a few other games, of which many are great, but don't let that distract you from this game. ZombiU is a really fantastic game that got way too much hate early on. Pick up the other great games out there but play and beat ZombiU too!

Oh and welcome to a great system with some great titles!

Linkyn

Although there's plenty of these threads out there already, here goes:

* An external HDD if you are on the digital-heavy side of things. If you prefer physical, the 32 GB should hold you over nicely for some time.
* A USB to ethernet adapter if you want to use a LAN connection to access the internet (it's the same exact one the Wii uses)
* Unless you already have one, a Wiimote+ with Nunchuk and possibly Classic Controller Pro (just to give you full range of control schemes)
* High-capacity battery makes sense if you want to use the Gamepad away from the system a lot. If you're close to the Wii U, you can connect it to it, and the Pro Controller has an insane battery life.

As for software, your best bets would probably be:

* Pikmin 3
* The Wonderful 101
* NSMBU (with LU)

And lastly, digital:

* NES remix
* Toki Tori 2+
* Nano Assault Neo
* Some VC titles if you're feeling the nostaliga itch (especially things like ALttP, Super Metroid, Super Catlevania IV, Earthbound)

Kriken

Well if you have any interest in Bayonetta 2, I'd say go with what others recommend and get the underappreciated (Sales wise) The Wonderful 101. Although I'd recommend you try the demo at least twice, it can be about 30 minutes a piece, but that second try at the demo should give you an idea of if the game is right for you.

You seem to have platformers covered with 3D World, Rayman and Donkey Kong. Pikmin 3 is a niche game, but it can be really fun and I guess Wii Party U/Nintendoland if you like party games.

As for Wonderful 101, does it have a demo on the eShop? Whilst it does look really cool I'm not sure it would be for me but I haven't had a proper look at it.

Like I said earlier, there is a demo, but it's not the most self-explanatory thing out there. This video personally sold me on giving the demo a try and eventually buying the game.

Griss

I don't understand people who wait for great deals, then buy totally useless shit like spare batteries and screen protectors.

You don't need a new battery. You don't need a screen protector. You don't need a Pro Controller.

You need games. Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, ZombiU, Mario3D World. On the e-shop NES Remix is my favourite.

If you can, leave the gamepad plugged in while you play. If not, charge it overnight and it will hardly ever be an issue.

SNES games are great on the gamepad screen, too. I'd recommend Super Metroid and Mega Man X to test it out. These games are actually made to look better on the lower res screen, it's one of the best uses of the gamepad for me.

Joei

I enjoyed both Mario titles and would obviously suggest those. I bought W101 because of the praise... to put it nicely, I hate the game.

VanWinkle

^Griss, wouldn't the Gamepad be one of the few screens on the market that SHOULD have a screen protector? It's an exposed resistive screen.

I had a Wii the day it came out but I'm ashamed to say I ended up trading it in pretty quick, which I regretted. Skyward sword and Super Mario Galaxy 2 are two that I missed and would like to catch up on but with the backlog I have anyway I might just stick with the WiiU and wait for the next Zelda.

Yeah there's a demo. I played it a few times and still didn't like it so I never bought it, but some people swear by the game, so just try it a couple times to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom