• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: no news is good news?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ymmv

Banned
It's been four months since the PS4 launch and I'm starting to get annoyed by the lack of news from Sony. We were promised major OS upgrades to fix missing multimedia support (MP3, CD, DLNA, etc) and a promised suspend/resume feature but so far not a peep from the Sony HQ.

Same goes for Sony's PS4 games. Apart from Infamous 3 and The Order, there's been hardly any news about Sony's other PS4 games (Shadow of the Beast, Last Guardian, Driveclub, new Uncharted, etc etc)

It's rather telling that Microsoft is doing a far better job at promoting their struggling brand and delivering OS updates than Sony. When there's news from Sony, I'm thinking of headlines like Sony Santa Monica sacking 25% of the work force because a new IP was axed, Jack Tretton leaving or Amy Hennig getting kicked out of Naughty Dog.

What the hell is going on with the world's most succesfful console maker?

They are leading the sales on consoles right now, it's not that they just stopped working on everything altogether. Give it time. By E3 you'll have plenty of news.

Into

It seems like they are saving everything for a big conference or stage

Pure speculation, but that E3 went really really well for them, so they might figure to save all their gun powder for that. Its possible they are high on that.

Obviously OS updates and such are not conference worthy, i am sure they are working at it as we speak.

What the hell is going on ?

image.php

on topic I wouldn't really worry it's only been 4 months, GDC is coming up anyway

All I'd say, is I remember the days of the PS3, and they felt the need to talk about what was coming all the time. Because they were on the back foot, and selling badly.

They can be quietly confident and then unload at E3.

There's 89 days until E3 day!

StuBurns

Banned
Seriously?

You're a week away from GDC, where they're presumably going to announce VR, and we're a few months from E3, where they'll announce everything.

Slow your roll.

Holykael1

Banned
Companies are generally quiet after a big console launch, this is nothing new as far as I remember.

It kinda sucks that they didnt deliver on the firmware updates they promised yet.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
They changed marketing partners and have adopted a new policy of doling their shit out to the public.

I think shutting up unless you have new things to share is the smarter move.

I do agree that the suspend/resume feature should have been in by now. That stuff should have been top priority after stability patches.

Man

They are just about to announce their leap into VR in five days.
The biggest step forward since the advent of 3D graphics and Networked gaming.

And they announced PlayStation Now in January.

It doesn't really get much bigger than those two.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
We were promised major OS upgrades to fix missing multimedia support (MP3, CD, DLNA, etc) and a promised suspend/resume feature but so far not a peep from the Sony HQ.

I am annoyed by that as well, especially the suspend/resume feature.

I'm ok with the lack of game news. I suspect that Sony is holding back since the PS4 is basically selling itself out currently, and both console's seem to have to stretch their lineup this year.

Wynnebeck

Banned
It's been four months since the PS4 launch and I'm starting to get annoyed by the lack of news from Sony. We were promised major OS upgrades to fix missing multimedia support (MP3, CD, DLNA, etc) and a promised suspend/resume feature but so far not a peep from the Sony HQ.

Same goes for Sony's PS4 games. Apart from Infamous 3 and The Order, there's been hardly any news about Sony's other PS4 games (Shadow of the Beast, Last Guardian, Driveclub, new Uncharted, etc etc)

It's rather telling that Microsoft is doing a far better job at promoting their struggling brand and delivering OS updates than Sony. When there's news from Sony, I'm thinking of headlines like Sony Santa Monica sacking 25% of the work force because a new IP was axed, Jack Tretton leaving or Amy Hennig getting kicked out of Naughty Dog.

What the hell is going on with the world's most succesfful console maker?

PS4 is printing money. They are going to ride the momentum all the way to E3. Buckle up and enjoy the ride.

Skilletor

I'd guess they're riding out the wave of popularity and when that starts to wane, they'll start showing more games. Why show games when they don't need to and let the hype die before hype is needed?

VanWinkle

I have a huge issue with how long we've gone without a non-minor firmware update (adding support for Pulse headset was still very minor). I'd say we're due for one. There's a lot of things that need fixed/improved/added.

cocky sony is coming back

Gosh I hope not.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The DLNA stuff you shouldn't be expecting soon. That didn't even seem to be on he list of upcoming features until people were tweeting yoshida about it, so it might take some time.

Suspend/resume yes, that is hopefully soon.

Agree on the game info, but we haven't heard anything from MS since launch really either, it's just that time of year. Maybe a few snippets at GDC, but otherwise it's wait for E3 I guess.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i guess they're still counting on the blue balled last gen gamers who are desperate for anything new after eight years of stagnation. seems to be going okay for them in the west, we'll see how much its slowing down on thursday.

Sony announced PSNow just over a month ago. They are going to have announcements at GDC. And E3 is only three months from now. You want them to blow their load early?

They've already said this E3 will be one of the biggest ever

Darknight

Since console generations only last 1 year according to OP, Sony is not doing jack shit. Everyone sell your PS4. Save up for OUYA2.

No GDC, No E3, No TGS, No Gamescon. Guys there are no more main events through out the year. One console future? LOL No console future! PC and Mobile! Woot!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
No news is no news. They don't care about netizens bitching about droughts because they can't care about people who lack critical thinking. They can't care about people complaining about dust on their consoles because they can't make them fast enough to sell to people ex New Zealand and Finland. And they don't care about getting headlines on message boards because then they have to deal with rancid shitola like people obsessing about 3 second gifs of their games and complaining they announced their games too early (also add speculation and hyperinfatuation over every minuscule part of the dev cycle.)

I'm so incredibly frustrated. Either you believe Sony has games in dev and will show them when they want to or you don't. And if you don't, just don't buy a ps4 until you do.

I have no mouth but I must scream.

ymmv

Banned
It seems like they are saving everything for a big conference or stage

Pure speculation, but that E3 went really really well for them, so they might figure to save all their gun powder for that. Its possible they are high on that.

Obviously OS updates and such are not conference worthy, i am sure they are working at it as we speak.

E3 is great for big new announcement, but there's no reason to keep mum about status updates for games that were already announced or future firmware updates.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
GDC is next week and rumors are saying VR will be there. Second Son comes out that week as well. Pretty big all things considered. They also tend to sprinkle some announcements in before E3 as well.

Yaoibot

We've had an OS update and about 20 more games released in the same time frame than their nearest competitor, who you have seen fit to mention. What exactly is the problem, that they're not such a disastrously leaky ship anymore? I think they have a bunch of announcements next week at GDC too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom